Subject: [mobile-ip] A post in the IETF list on 3G and the Internet

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2 21:26:55 JST

This is from the IETF list on reality of 3G:

> Subject: Re: 802.11b access in Tokyo and Kyoto with IP mobility

> For the record, I'm sitting at this instant in Tokyo Station, and am on my 
> way from Narita to Yokohama. I am sitting in the green car, and I accessed 
> the appropriate web page.
> 
> I have wonderful 802.11 connectivity, and I have an IP address. Whether 
> that means I can use the Internet is another question. On the parts of the 
> track where the connectivity is there, we see ping round trip delays 
> varying from 380 ms to over four seconds. There are fairly large parts of 
> the track where the NTT DoCoMo 3G data connectivity appears to simply not 
> be there - especially when in concrete tubes and ditches, but also on 
> places with open track.
> 
> So I think here the term "seamless", when applied to connectivity, doesn't 
> really apply.

If you are interested, you can check list archive:

	http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/index.html

for further posting.

						Masataka Ohta