Subject: [mobile-ip] MIP-Agent solicitation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:03:17 +0530

Dear all,

I had posted a message 2 days back.

I havent got any clarification on the same so far.
Someone Please do help me on the following issue.

I need some clarification regarding sending of Agent solicitation message.

Let us consider a mobile node moving from a home link to foreign link.
The home link and foreign link are two different access networks.
The Mobile node till the time it hasnt received any agent advertisement
message from the Foreign agent.
So when the Mobile node knows that it has come to foreign link(by
link-layer mobility management)
has to obtain either Care -of -address or Co-located address,in either case
the Mobile node cannot initiate
a Agent solicitation because if the mobile node sends any packet with its
home ip address in the IP source addres
field,other mobile nodes in the foreign link might be confused updating the
IP address of the new mobile node in their
ARP table..

So does this mean that this mobile node has no other way other than waiting
for Agent advertisement from
the foreign agent?

Thanks
Leelavathy

---

From: Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:01:57 +0300

> IP address of the new mobile node in their

The Agent soliciation message should have the MN's home address
as source address. Since sending the solicitation does not involve
sending any ARP messages, no ARP tables will be updated. Even if the
ARP table was modified for another MN it must not modify the routing
table of that MN. The MNs should route all their packets via the FA.

> for Agent advertisement from

No, the MN can send a broadcast/multicast solicitation message at
any time and this will not confuse any standards compliant mobile node.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bjorn

-- 
Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]>                       +358 50 341 2556
Lifix Systems Oy <http://www.lifix.fi/>                 PGP id 5AFC144B
Innopoli 2, Tekniikantie 14, FIN-02150 Espoo