Subject: [mobile-ip] LIN6 and MobileIPv6

From: Pär Thorén <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:53:45 +0200

Hi!

What is the relationship between the LIN6 project (http://www.lin6.net/)
and Mobile IPv6. Do they complement each other or do they compete with
each other to produce a standard to support seamless host mobility
support in IPv6?

Any general comments on the LIN6 project?

regards Pär

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:18:41 +0300 (EEST)

> Any general comments on the LIN6 project?

Patented.  Who cares?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Fumio Teraoka <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 13:48:23 +0900

LIN6 and MIPv6 can coexist.

There are two patent applications about LIN6, but have not been
approved.

LIN6 is based on a different architecture than that of MIP, i.e.,
separation of node ID and node locator.

LIN6 has several advantages against MIPv6. For example:
 
  1) LIN6 has no header overhead while MIPv6 uses large extension
     headers for every packet.

  2) LIN6 is more fault tolerant than MIPv6. In MIPv6, the HA is the
     single point of failure and the HA cannot be replicated to the
     subnet other than the home network. In LIN6, the Mapping Agent
     can be replicated to anywhere.  

No modifications are necessary to applications and TCP/UDP for LIN6.
LIN6 is running on several UNIX operating systems and Win2k.
Source code is available from http://www.lin6.net/

Fast handoff is already implemented to LIN6 although there is no
i-d of smooth handoff in LIN6.

Fumio Teraoka

At 02/07/12 08:53 +0200, P舐 Thor駭 wrote:
>regards P舐