Subject: [mobile-ip] Info regarding IP Header Compression

From: "Sridhar S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:18:36 +0530

Hi,
	I am S.Sridhar working in MindTree Consulting, Bangalore , India as a
Software Engineer. We are in the process of implementing the IP Header
Compression Protocol. So In this regard I have a couple of doubts. So I
request you to spare some time and answer my doubts or suggest some document
which specifies the relevant information.

Coming to the subject:
According to RFC 2057 (IP Header Compression Algorithm), several headers such
as  IPv6 base and extension headers, IPv4 headers, TCP and
UDP headers, and encapsulated IPv6 and IPv4 headers can be compressed. Every
header should be compressed based on a context. In order to create a context
we have to identify a packet stream. There may be several type of packets
coming from the upper layer. So keeping this in view we have to group the
packets into different packet streams where all the packets in the same
stream have a similar header fields. In this regard,...

1.Firstly, I want to know whether we have to buffer all the packets coming
from application and then group them into different packet streams, then
create contexts according to those packet streams and then assign CID's to
them. If this is the case what will be done for next packet that arrives.
Will if be compared with all contexts to find out to which packet stream it
belongs.....or else again buffer a set of packets and repeat the grouping
procedure and then search different contexts...
If we buffer the incoming packets ,then till what time should we buffer it. 

Here I am really confused about the grouping procedure when coming to
implementation.
Can u please explain it in detail to me....

2. I want to know the storing database part of these contexts also.

can u please reply to this mail at the earliest.

Thanks and Regards,

SRIDHAR S
Software Engineer,
MindTree Consulting Pvt Ltd ,
C/o.Brigade Software Park,
#42,27th cross,Banashankari 2nd stage,
Bangalore - 560 070
Ph (O): +91-80-6711777 / 12777
Ext: 1423