Subject: [mobile-ip] Clarification sought on role of MIN_DELAY_BETWEEN_RAS

From: Brett Pentland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:21:56 +0900

Hi folks,

I was just wondering if anyone can confirm that the protocol 
constant "MIN_DELAY_BETWEEN_RAS" defined in RFC2461 as 3 seconds only 
relates to multicast RAs sent in response to an RS and thus is 
unrelated to the configuration variable "MinRtrAdvInterval" for 
unsolicited multicast RAs which is redefined in the Mobile IPv6 I-D.

Thanks,
Brett.

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:12:46 +0300

> unsolicited multicast RAs which is redefined in the Mobile IPv6 I-D.

MIN_DELAY_BETWEEN_RAS concerns any RA sent to the all nodes multicast
address, solicited or unsolicited.

MinRtrAdvInterval concerns unsolicited RAs. These would also be sent
to the all nodes multicast address.

We redefine MinRtrAdvInterval in the MIPv6 I-D. It would seem that
MIN_DELAY_BETWEEN_RAS must also be redefined for it to have any effect.
Was that your concern?

Jari

---

From: Brett Pentland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:16:46 +1000

Yes, that was my concern.  I just wasn't sure if it was valid since the
only place MIN_DEALY_BETWEEN_RAS is mentioned in rfc2461 is in section
6.2.6, "Processing Router Solicitations".

Regards,
Brett.