Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] 2 Questions on Mobile Draft 18

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 18:06:39 -0700 (PDT)

> 1. In section 5.2.1 :
> 
>       5.2.2. Nonces
> 
>    Each correspondent node also generates nonces at regular intervals,
>    for example every few minutes.  The nonces should be generated by
>    using a random number generator that is known to have good randomness
>    properties [1].  A correspondent node may use the same Kcn and nonce
>    with all the mobiles it is in communication with, so that it does not
>    need to generate and store a new nonce when a new mobile contacts it.
> 
> Does this mean that nonces are generated at regular intervals as stated in
> the
> first sentence, or the same one is used in all communications with all
> mobile
> nodes, as implied in the last sentence ?
> 

It is the former. Since the nonces are generated in regular intervals,
same nonce value will be used for "all" (or any) mobile nodes that send 
HOTI/COTI messages during that interval.

-Samita