Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] comments on mobileip-vpn-problem-statement-req

From: "Adrangi, Farid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:13:21 -0700

Hello behcet,
Please see my replies below.  
regards,
FArid

-----Original Message-----
From: Behcet Sarikaya [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 12:50 PM
To: Adrangi, Farid
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] comments on mobileip-vpn-problem-statement-req

Hello Farid,
Thanks for your reply. Two more quick questions:
1. Section 2.1 the draft states
This (i.e. private MIP network) can be considered a typical deployment
scenario in
enterprise environments with a large and growing number of mobile
users.
Is this really true? I would not say so.

Farid Writes > we said that based on feedback that we got from our and
some other large corporation IT folks.  If you think this will not be a
typical deployment scenario for large enterprise, then what do you think
the typical scenario would be?

2. In Section 4.1 on p.9 the draft states
It is important to note that the mobile node connecting to the
home network is forced to establish an IPsec tunnel SA to the
VPN gateway first.

This means that handover occurs first for VPN, which I think, defeats
the purpose of MIP.
What do you think?

Farid Writes >  This implies that IPsec needs to be re-negotiated as the MN
moves
 from one subnet to another -- which in turn impacts the overall handover
performance.
The solution proposal (whatever it is) needs to address this problem.  So,
you can
view this as a problem that needs to be addressed/solved.

Regards,

--behcet

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:57:28 -0500

Hi Farid,
I could not find any direct requirement in RFC 3220 for HAs to have a
public address (although there are implicit requirements such as dynamic
home agent discovery) however I could find the following requirement for
HAs in CDMA2000 Wireless IP standard (IS 835B):

The HA shall support basic MIP [RFC 2002-2006], reverse tunneling [RFC
3024], FAC [RFC 3012], and Mobile IP NAI Extension [RFC 2794]. In order
to provide public network access and to provide private network access
across the public network, the HA shall use a globally routable and
visible IP address.

Regards,

-- 
Behcet