Subject: [mobile-ip] new text for 85, 86 new issue 105, and state machines

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:42:41 +0300

There's new text proposals for the below issues:

   http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue85.txt
   http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue86.txt

and there's also a new issue filed against the state machine:

   http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue105.txt

In order to close issue #76 I'd like you to send me (private)
e-mail that tells whether you'd like (a) just keep the text and remove
any state machines, (b) add the state machines a non-normative introduction
to section 11, or (c) continue the current approach and have normative
text and non-normative state machines as separate sections.

Finally, I have also added a new field in the issue list that describes whether
or not we have a concrete text proposal available to fix it. We intend
to post text for the remaining issues in the next week or so.

Thanks,

Jari

---

From: Brian Haley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:58:00 -0400

>    http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue85.txt

Hi Jari,

issue85.txt says:
"
And then change the text in 9.4.6 from

   If the correspondent node receives a packet with a Home Address
   destination option it MUST verify that it has a binding for that
   mobile node.  Specifically, it MUST have a binding entry for the
   mobile node's home address (as obtained from the Home Address option)
   at the mobile node's care-of address (from the IP source address of
   the packet).  If the correspondent node does not find such a binding
   entry, it MUST discard the packet.  It MUST also return a Binding
   Error message (Section 6.1.9), subject to rate limiting in the same
   manner as is done for ICMPv6 messages [14].

to

   Sections 9.2.1 and 9.4.6 describe error conditions that lead to a
   need to send a Binding Error message.

   A Binding Error message is sent to the address that appeared in the
   IPv6 Source address field of the offending packet.

   The Home Address field in the Binding Error message MUST be copied
   from the Home Address field in the Home Address destination option
   of the offending packet, or set to the unspecified address if no
   such option appeared in the packet.

   Binding Error messages are subject to rate limiting in the same
   manner as is done for ICMPv6 messages [14].
"

BPH> But 9.4.6 now references itself?  I think you meant to say:

"Sections 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 describe..."

issue85.txt also says:
"
In 9.2.1 change

    1. If an MH message of unknown type is received (Section 6.1, the
       correspondent node SHOULD issue a Binding Error message to the
       packet's Source Address with Status field set to 2.  Finally, the
       correspondent node MUST discard the packet.

to

    1. If an MH message of unknown type is received the correspondent
       node SHOULD issue a Binding Error message as described in Section
       9.4.6, with Status field set to 2.  Finally, the correspondent
       node MUST discard the packet.
"

BPH> I just have an editorial change for this, I thought the reference to
6.1 was useful:

1. If an MH message of unknown type is received (Section 6.1), the correspondent
       node SHOULD issue a Binding Error message as described in Section
       9.4.6, with Status field set to 2.  Finally, the correspondent
       node MUST discard the packet.

The rest looks good, thanks,

-Brian