Subject: [mobile-ip] Mobile IP dynamic home address assignment

From: John Wells <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:04:24 -0400

Hi all,

Section 5.1 of the Mobile AAA requirements RFC (2977) talks about the 
ability to dynamically assign a home address to a mobile node.  The 
Diameter draft describes a way to assign a home agent, but is it possible 
for a mobile node to leave blank its home address so the home agent can 
assign it? 

Thanks,
John

-- 
John Wells, Virginia Tech Networking Lab
(tel) +1 540 231-8347 (web) http://www.ee.vt.edu/~wells

---

From: "Alper E. YEGIN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:15:08 -0700

> for a mobile node to leave blank its home address so the home agent can

Yes, please see RFC2794 Mobile IP Network Access Identifier Extension for
IPv4.

   Since the NAI is typically used to uniquely identify the mobile node,
   the mobile node's home address is not always necessary to provide
   that function.  Thus, it is possible for a mobile node to
   authenticate itself, and be authorized for connection to the foreign
   domain, without even having a home address.  A message containing the
   Mobile Node NAI extension MAY set the Home Address field to zero (0)
   in the Registration Request, to request that a home address be
   assigned.

alper