Subject: [mobile-ip] Mobility Header len

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 18:52:32 -0700

hi,

the Header Len field in Mobility header as described in draft 18
is a multiple of 8 octets including the header fields. how about 
changing it to a multiple of 8 octects leaving out the first 8 
octets.

two advangtages 

1. buys you 8 bytes :) (I know its minor)

2. IF we have piggybacking tomorrow, Mobility Header can be 
processed like any other extension header. otherwise I need special
code.

comments?

regards
Vijay

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 15:25:35 +0200

two advangtages 

   
=> I buy the second argument: the only exception (IPsec extension headers)
is already a source of trouble.

Regards

[email-masked]

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 16:27:21 +0300

> 1. buys you 8 bytes :) (I know its minor)

[Clarification: Allows 8 byte longer MH messages, current max being 2048.
  Doesn't save bytes on the wire.]

> processed like any other extension header. otherwise I need special

Let's do this.

Suggested text:

          8-bit unsigned integer. Length of the Mobility Header in units
          of 8 octets, excluding the first 8 octets. That is, the length
          of the Mobility Header beyond the Payload Proto, Header Len, MH
          Type, Reserved, and Checksum fields and the two first octets of
          the Message Data field.

And some modifications later in the suggested MH Len values for particular
messages.

Jari

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 10:24:13 -0700

>           Type, Reserved, and Checksum fields and the two first octets of

Okay. But isnt it sufficient if the text says

            8-bit unsigned integer. Length of the Mobility Header in
units
            of 8 octets, excluding the first 8 octets. 

regards
Vijay