Subject: [NEXTEL-1] American Express Welcomes Cingular Wireless and Nextel

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 05:21:54 -0500

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.102902/223022472&ticker=AXP

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Click here for AXP stock quote/chart

BW2472 OCT 29,2002 12:31 PACIFIC 15:31 EASTERN

( BW)(NY-AMERICAN-EXPRESS)(AXP) OPEN: The Small Business Network
from American Express Welcomes Cingular Wireless and Nextel to
Everyday Savings Program

Business Editors/Hi-Tech Writers

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 29, 2002--

Wireless Carriers Offer Savings of Up to 5 percent
For American Express(R) Business Cardmembers

OPEN: The Small Business Network(SM) from American Express
(NYSE:AXP) announced today that Cingular Wireless and Nextel
Communications, Inc. have joined its best-in-class Everyday Savings
program to provide its small business customers with savings on new
wireless calling plans.

Cingular Wireless offers American Express Business Cardmembers up
to 5 percent off select Cingular calling plans(1), and Nextel offers
American Express Business Cardmembers 5 percent off Nextel calling
plans. Discounts are available on monthly access fees and plans
purchased through dedicated channels with an American Express Business
Card. Additional terms and conditions apply.

"I am pleased to welcome Cingular and Nextel to Everyday Savings.
The addition of these two leading wireless providers enhances what is
already the strongest small business savings program in the
marketplace," said Lisa Wyler, vice president, partnership marketing,
OPEN: The Small Business Network from American Express. "From
September 2001 through August 2002, we estimate that Everyday Savings
has saved our customers 75 million dollars. The addition of Nextel and
Cingular, as well as the recently announced partnerships with Kinko's
and Staples, will provide small businesses with opportunities to save
even more in the coming year."

"Nextel recognizes the importance of effective communication
services that are designed to meet the needs of business users," said
Peter Taddeo, vice president of new channel development at Nextel. "We
are excited to partner with American Express to offer their Business
Cardmembers the opportunity to experience Nextel service--including
Direct Connect(TM), the incredibly powerful long-range digital
walkie-talkie feature--at a savings designed exclusively for them."

"Innovative programs like Everyday Savings allow Cingular to reach
new business customers and deliver our business wireless
services--such as Rollover, the wireless plan that lets customers keep
their unused minutes--at an exceptional value," said Steve Krom, vice
president, business marketing and marketing services at Cingular. "We
look forward to working with American Express to help small business
reap the benefits of enterprise-class solutions that are tailored to
their unique needs."

The OPEN Network is currently featuring the Everyday Savings
program and the savings it offers its Business Cardmembers in a new
television and radio advertising campaign.

Everyday Savings is an exclusive benefit of OPEN: The Small
Business Network from American Express that provides ongoing savings
on everyday business expenses at recognized brands like Dell(TM),
FedEx(R), Hertz, ExxonMobil, The Hilton(R) Family of Hotels,
Kinko's(R), Staples and Qwest(R). In most cases, the savings occur
automatically when small businesses use the American Express Business
Card. For more details, visit
open.americanexpress.com/everydaysavings.

About OPEN: The Small Business Network

OPEN: The Small Business Network is a division of American Express
that offers small business owners a wide range of tools, services and
savings designed to meet their evolving needs, including charge and
credit cards, convenient access to working capital and credit
information, enhanced online account management capabilities and
savings on business services from an enhanced lineup of OPEN Network
partners. To obtain more information about the OPEN Network, visit
OPEN.americanexpress.com or call 1-800-NOW-OPEN to apply for a card or
loan.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully-integrated wireless voice and data
communications services including Nextel Direct Connect(R)--the
long-range digital walkie-talkie feature; high quality digital
cellular services; Nextel Online(R) wireless data content and business
solutions; and two-way messaging services. Nextel and Nextel Partners,
Inc. have built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network
covering 197 of the top 200 U.S. markets. Nextel's wireless voice and
packet data communications services are available today in areas of
the U.S. where approximately 239 million people live or work.

About Cingular Wireless

Cingular Wireless is the second largest wireless carrier in the
U.S, and a joint venture between SBC Communications (NYSE - SBC) and
BellSouth (NYSE- BLS). As a leader in mobile voice and data
communications, Cingular serves more than 22 million voice and data
customers across the United States. Cingular provides cellular/PCS
service in 43 of the top 50 markets nationwide. Cingular's
Mobitex-based wireless packet data service operates throughout the
United States, covering more than 93 percent of the urban business
population located in 492 Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) and
non-MSAs with a total population of 200 million people. Cingular
offers customers advanced technologies in simple, cost-effective ways
that permit them to tap the creative potential of wireless through
their own self-expression. Details of the company are available at
www.cingular.com.

(1) Cingular Wireless offers American Express Business Cardmembers
3 percent off select Cingular National plans and 5 percent off any
Cingular Home Plan.

--30--nf/ny*

CONTACT: American Express
Tom Sclafani, 917/639-8032
[email-masked]
or
Cingular Wireless
Jennifer Bowcock, 404/236-6319
[email-masked]
or
Nextel Communications
Rebecca Gertsmark, 703/433-3776
[email-masked]

KEYWORD: NEW YORK
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: BANKING TELECOMMUNICATIONS INTERNET
SOURCE: American Express

©2002