Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ultra Wideband

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 19:57:16 -0500

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.103002/223032053

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

BW2053 OCT 30,2002 6:35 PACIFIC 09:35 EASTERN

( BW)(NY-ALLIED-BUSINESS) The Ultra Wideband Community Must
Standardize Technology and Their Message In Order For It to Thrive,
says Allied Business Intelligence

Business Editors & Technology Writers

OYSTER BAY, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 30, 2002--A battle between
entrenched wireless carriers and new supporters of UWB technology has
been unfolding recently, possibly hindering the market potential for
UWB.

Joining the wireless carriers are GPS and avionics equipment
makers, among others. Collectively, these companies have deep pockets
and considerable power to lobby against UWB technology. A more unified
front must be maintained by the UWB community to thwart these efforts
for the technology to thrive.

The spectrum that UWB travels through is and has been of concern
by many in past years. The Federal Communications Communication (FCC)
has been working on addressing some of these concerns. A recent report
released by the FCC indicated ordinary devices and appliances,
including electric drills, hair dryers and computers, have been shown
to produce spurious emissions even higher than those allowed by UWB
devices.

"The FCC has spent over two years of extensive testing in order to
come up with a guide for the use of UWB. Over 900 companies have filed
concerns of its use and still the FCC has allowed it. And letters of
concern still are rolling into the FCC. Until a standard is set where
all communications segments are satisfied this technology will have
problems," said Paul Marcik, an analyst at Allied Business
Intelligence (ABI).

The lack of a definable standard is the single biggest shortfall
to the development of a sustainable UWB market, according to a report
authored by Mr. Marcik. According to ABI's new report, "Ultra Wideband
(UWB) Wireless - An Evaluation of Technology Prospects and Potential
Market Applications" the total global shipments for UWB-enabled
electronics and chipsets could reach 45.1 million units by 2007, with
resulting revenues of $1.39 billion by the end of that year. These
projections include shipments into market segments including
communications, imaging, vehicles, locators and military and
government use.

Ultra Wideband (UWB), a wireless technology based on modulated
pulses of energy, stands to capture technology market share over the
next several years in a variety of applications, especially the
distribution of wireless video, audio and data in home and consumer
networking devices.

The report investigates the market for UWB and examines if this
will be the next generation in wireless communications, from wireless
LANs to radar. The report employs a scenario analysis approach
(moderate, aggressive and pessimistic) in providing forecasts for
twenty different market segments. The activities of and analyses for
over 25 market participants are also provided.

Allied Business Intelligence Inc is an Oyster Bay, NY-based
technology research think tank that publishes research and technology
intelligence on the wireless, broadband, electronics, networking and
energy industries. Details can be found at www.alliedworld.com or by
calling 516-624-3113.

--30--tav/ny*

CONTACT: Allied Business Intelligence Inc, Oyster Bay
Paul Marcik, 516/624-3113

KEYWORD: NEW YORK
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: COMPUTERS/ELECTRONICS INTERNET NETWORKING
PUBLISHING TELECOMMUNICATIONS
SOURCE: Allied Business Intelligence Inc

©2002