Subject: [mobile-ip] MIPv6 Issue 120: Mobile Prefix Advertisements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:52:00 +0530

Hi,

Few more doubts regarding Mobile Prefix Advertisements:

1) Do we need to wait for any acknowledgement of MPA that is sent in
response to MPS ?

2) In case of any change in prefix parameters, whether the MPA should
include the Prefix Information option for that changed prefix or for all
the prefixes ?

3) What should be the value of "MinRtrAdvInt" which is used in the
calculation of random delay ?

4) When to send "Source Link-layer Address option" and "Advertisement
Interval option" along with the MPA ?

thanks
-Sourajeet

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sourajeet Mohanty
Software Engineer
Communications and Embedded Systems
L&T Infotech Ltd., Bangalore
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 14:21:17 +0300

> 1) Do we need to wait for any acknowledgement of MPA that is sent in

10.10.2 says that the home agent waits for an ack in the form of a BU
with the new address or an MPS.

11.4.2. says that the mobile node uses the same retransmission
procedure for MPS as for BUs.

> include the Prefix Information option for that changed prefix or for all

This seems vague in the spec. Sending all information seems more
reliable. I propose that in 10.10.2, change

    Suppose that the home agent already has scheduled the transmission
    of a Mobile Prefix Advertisement to the mobile node.  Then add the
    data from the existing scheduled transmission to the newly scheduled
    transmission, deleting the previously scheduled transmission event.
    In this case, the home agent does schedule another advertisement to
    the mobile node.

to

    The aggregate list is sent in its entirety in all cases.

    Suppose that the home agent already has scheduled the transmission
    of a Mobile Prefix Advertisement to the mobile node. The home agent
    deletes the previously scheduled transmission event and schedules
    another advertisement to the mobile node.

> calculation of random delay ?

This has been discussed separately.

> Interval option" along with the MPA ?

The text says:

     Copy prefix information defined in the home agent's
     AdvPrefixList on the home subnet's interfaces to the
     aggregate list.

I take it that this means all information.

Jari