Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Towering' Work of Art: Sprint Voyager Launches in Fayetteville on Oct. 26

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 05:15:39 -0500

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/10-25-2002/0001827885&EDATE=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

'Towering' Work of Art: Sprint Voyager Launches in Fayetteville on Oct. 26

SPRINT LOGO

Sprint logo. (PRNewsFoto)[PM TK]

KANSAS CITY, MO USA 10/09/2002

Fayetteville Artist Tom Grubb and Crew Dedicate Largest Kinetic Sculpture In
Country

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C., Oct. 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Call it a work of art. Call
it a masterpiece. Call it a Sprint wireless tower. Art intersects with
functionality as Fayetteville artist Tom Grubb unveils his work of art that
will also help Sprint (NYSE: FON, PCS) achieve stronger wireless signals
throughout the community. The "Sprint Voyager" -- the largest kinetic
sculpture ever created in the United States -- will be unveiled on Oct. 26 at
1 p.m. at the Airborne and Special Ops Museum in Fayetteville.
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20001013/SPRINTLOGO )
Sprint began this project as a way to serve and enhance the customers'
experience. Now, not only will they be enhancing communication on the
wireless phone, Sprint will also be enhancing the artistic experience within
the community.
"We are delighted to be able to support the launch of the Voyager project
-- it's really a win for everyone," said Jim Greene, director of site
acquisition, Southeast Region for the PCS Division of Sprint. "As part of our
commitment to the Fayetteville community and our customers, we are happy to be
able to give back and make a difference in the area."
After the unveiling on Saturday, Oct. 26, the activities will move to the
launch site at the base of the 128-foot Sprint tower. Viewers will then be
able to witness the artist and crew as they lift the 1000-pound sculpture to
the top of the tower. As part of the finale, artist Tom Grubb will skywalk to
the peak of the tower as he is suspended 138 feet by hoisting devises.
"What Sprint is doing really is spectacular," said Roger Stancil,
Fayetteville's city manager, who was instrumental in bringing about this
marriage of form and function. "This project will be a major asset to the
city in that it combines the arts and technology in a symbolic way."
Grubb, artist and director of the Fayetteville Museum of Art, said his
inspiration for the piece was the dynamic combination of technology and nature
in his artwork.
"All of my artwork explores time and space -- I try to create sculptures
that direct people's vision skyward," said Grubb. "To see 'Voyager,' you have
to look into the sky, so that one can see that technology and nature can
combine to form beauty in the environment."
The public is invited to join in the ceremonial activities, beginning on
Friday at the Fourth Friday event at the Fayetteville Arts Center, 301 Hay
Street at 7 p.m. The event features a launch briefing, an exhibition of
photographs and technical sculpture drawings. Guests will be invited to write
a letter or note to be enclosed inside the sculpture as part of a time capsule
for the future. The actual sculpture will be unveiled on Saturday, Oct. 26 at
1 p.m. at the Airborne and Special Ops Museum at 100 Bragg Blvd.
This project began in the spring of 2002 when Sprint applied for a permit
to build a tower near a site in downtown Fayetteville. The proposed tower
site was not compatible with the development of an amphitheater and sculpture
for the Festival of Flight 2003. The City of Fayetteville consulted with
Sprint and the artist to create a solution and as a result, the vision for the
Sprint Voyager project was created.
Grubb worked with the tower manufacturer to create the design of the tower
and "docking mechanism" for the rotating element of the sculpture. Sprint
Voyager will transmit and receive PCS telephone calls and will be an active
wireless tower. This sculpture will be the largest freestanding kinetic
sculpture in the United States and is the first monumental sculpture
installation for the centennial celebration of flight. The Festival of Flight
commemorates the 100-year anniversary of the birth of aviation by the Wright
brothers and is scheduled to be held in Fayetteville on May 16-26, 2003.

About Sprint
Sprint is a global communications company serving more than 26 million
business and residential customers in over 70 countries. With approximately
75,000 employees worldwide and more than $26 billion in annual revenues,
Sprint is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying
state-of-the-art network technologies, including the United States' first
nationwide all-digital, fiber-optic network and Sprint's award-winning Tier 1
Internet backbone. Sprint provides local voice and data services in 18 states
and operates the largest 100-percent digital, nationwide PCS wireless network
in the United States.

Click here

SOURCE Sprint

Web Site: http://www.sprint.com

Photo Notes: NewsCom:
http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20001013/SPRINTLOGO AP
Archive: http://photoarchive.ap.org PRN Photo Desk,
+1-888-776-6555 or
+1-212-782-2840

Issuers
of news releases and not PR Newswire are solely responsible for the accuracy of
the content.

Copyright © 1996-2002 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.

A United
Business Media company.