Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Software Defined Radio

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:06:08 -0500

Xilinx and SDR Forum Collaborate to Accelerate Software Defined Radio
  Technology and Adoption -- Xilinx Chief DSP Architect to Present at the SDR '02
  Conference and Product Exposition

October 31, 2002

SAN JOSE, Calif., Oct 31, 2002 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Xilinx, Inc. (Nasdaq: XLNX), the
leading supplier of
programmable system solutions, and the Software Defined Radio (SDR) Forum, a non-profit
organization dedicated to
supporting the development and deployment of software defined radio systems, today
announced that Xilinx will participate in
the SDR '02 Conference and Product Exposition on November 11-12, 2002 in San Diego,
California. Sponsored by the SDR
Forum, the conference will focus on the evolution of software defined radio technology and
its integration into existing
communication infrastructures. Dr. Chris Dick, chief DSP architect at Xilinx, will present
two technical papers focusing on the
use of FPGAs for high performance DSP and software defined radio applications. For
registration and conference information,
please contact the SDR Forum at 315-736-2433 or visit www.sdrforum.org/sdr02/main.html.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020822/XLNXLOGO )

"A major software defined radio challenge has been the lack of flexible, high performance
hardware. Advances in FPGA
technology have made them one of the major enabling technologies for modern software
defined radios," said Allan Margulies,
chief operating officer at the SDR Forum. "Xilinx is a recognized world leader in
developing programmable logic, and their
addition to the SDR '02 event will provide the SDR community with a comprehensive view
into FPGAs for reconfigurable
radios."

"Xilinx is pleased to collaborate with the SDR Forum to accelerate software defined radio
technology and its adoption into the
marketplace," said Chris Dick. "Xilinx is committed to addressing the needs of
high-performance DSP solutions with its
Virtex-II(TM) Series FPGAs which are fast becoming an integral part of many software
radios due to their tremendous signal
processing capability."

SDR Technology

In SDR, functions traditionally performed by hardware via analog circuits, such as the
generation of the transmitted radio signal
and the tuning and detection of the received radio signal, instead are performed by
software residing in high-speed digital
processors. Because these functions are carried out in software, the radio can be easily
programmed to transmit and receive
over a wide range of frequencies using a variety of transmission formats used around the
world. In addition, the operating
parameters of a software defined radio can be easily changed in the field by a simple
software change.

Enabling Technology for SDR

The Virtex-II Pro family, shipping since February this year, includes the world's highest
capacity, performance, and capability
of any programmable logic device. The largest device in the family features more than
125,000 logic cells, over ten megabits of
RAM, 556 XtremeDSP multiply units, and up to four PowerPC processor. The on-chip PowerPC
makes it possible to run
software communication architecture on the PowerPC, improving interoperability among
various radios and vendors. The Xilinx
XtremeDSP(TM) initiative provides system architects and DSP designers with the industry's
most comprehensive solution for
DSP targeting FPGAs, including Virtex-II Pro FPGAs, the System Generator for DSP tool, ISE
5.1i software, over fifty
hardware development platforms, and an extensive library of DSP algorithms. For more
information on the Xilinx XtremeDSP
initiative, visit www.xilinx.com/dsp.

About Xilinx

Xilinx, Inc. is the worldwide leader of programmable logic solutions. Additional
information about Xilinx is available at
www.xilinx.com.

About the Software Defined Radio Forum

The Software Defined Radio Forum is an international industry association dedicated to
supporting the development and
deployment of software defined radio systems that enable flexible and adaptable
architectures in advanced wireless systems.
The membership of the SDR Forum spans commercial, defense, and civil government
organizations, and includes wireless
service providers, network operators, component and equipment manufacturers, hardware and
software developers, regulatory
agencies, and academia. Presently numbering more than 100 organizations, the SDR Forum's
membership includes major
commercial wireless players from Asia, Europe, and North America. The SDR Forum's
administrative office is headquartered
in Rome, N.Y. Additional information is available on the SDR Forum Web site at
www.sdrforum.org.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/