Subject: [NEXTEL-1] B'casters unfazed by spectrum deadline

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:31:59 -0500

http://www.tvinsite.com/broadcastingcable/index.asp?layout=print_page&doc_id=106108&articleID

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/auyVXB/KJoEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Return to Main Page

B'casters unfazed by spectrum deadline

Broadcasting & Cable

10/28/2002 11:13:00 AM

Rep. Billy Tauzin (R-La.) may be talking tough about imposing a hard 2006 deadline
for reclaiming TV stations' analog spectrum, but the House Energy and Commerce
Committee chairman's threat isn't panicking broadcasters.

"Chairman Tauzin is wedded to a date certain," and 2006 will be that date in
digital-TV legislation introduced next year, aide Jessica Wallace told an Association
for Maximum Service Television (MSTV) crowd last week.

But the idea is opposed by many committee members -- fearing a consumer
backlash -- and other staffers said the give-back deadline will move back.

If it doesn't, broadcast trade groups are expected to let Tauzin take any
consumer heat for consigning 300 million sets, VCRs and other TV appliances to
the junk pile.

"It's not our issue," one lobbyist said. "We're already facing
digital-service deadlines. We'll let him deal with the fallout if he wants to
cut off analog service."

© 2002 Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Use of this Web site is subject to its
Terms of Use

Privacy Policy

Return to Main Page