Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public Safety Wireless Network

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 19:45:21 -0500

ATLANTA, Oct 29, 2002 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Government and public safety officials
from Georgia and
throughout the Southeast will meet today to address a key homeland security issue -- the
ability of public safety first responders
to communicate by radio, also known as communications "interoperability." Studies show
that across the Nation, public safety
officials have trouble talking to one another in operational situations one-third of the
time. The Public Safety Wireless Network
(PSWN) Program is sponsoring the 3-day conference in cooperation with the Atlanta Police
Department.

"We cannot afford to let this issue languish at the expense of our Nation's public safety
responders, and ultimately, the public,"
said Robert E. Lee, Jr., PSWN Program Manager, Department of Justice. "Interoperability is
a problem that can and must be
corrected -- through coordination and cooperation among all levels of government and
adequate funding to address
interoperability issues."

The Atlanta symposium will include panels addressing the current state of public safety
interoperability in Georgia, as well as
incident presentations from other regions providing lessons learned. Presentations and
panels will include representatives from
the Atlanta Police Department, Georgia Emergency Management Agency, Georgia Technology
Authority, and the City of
Atlanta, Department of Fire. Topics to be presented include --

    * The Status of Communications Interoperability in Georgia -- Where Are We
      Now?

    * Critical Communications Interoperability Requirements Between Public
      Safety and Other Public Services Agencies

    * Georgia Crime Information Center -- Harnessing Technology in Support of
      Criminal Justice

    * Federal Efforts to Improve Interoperability -- Progress Report

    * Grants and Funding -- Where to Apply for Funding and Who Has the Money

    * Protecting Wireless Communications Infrastructure From Vulnerability

    * Communications Interoperability through Hurricane Andrew -- Lessons
      Learned

"This conference provides a forum where public safety and government officials can come
together to discuss both challenges
and solutions for improving public safety communications within Georgia and throughout the
Southeast," said Rick Murphy,
PSWN Program Manager, Department of the Treasury. "I applaud the State of Georgia for
taking an important first step
toward improving interoperability."

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/