Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Shops at Boardwalk announces new tenants...

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:57:06 -0400

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5792563&BRD=1452&PAG=461&dept_id=155076&rfi=6

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home -> News -> Content

Thursday 24 October, 2002

NEWS SEARCH

Advanced search

News

Top Stories

Gladstone Sun-News

Liberty Sun

Platte County Sun

National News

Sports

Weather

Business

Real Estate

TV Listings

Entertainment

Announcements

Schools

Opinions

Obituaries

Other Sun Publications

Sports Wire!

Personal Finance

Lifestyles

Classifieds

Area Chambers

Community

Liberty's Links

Fun and Games

Administrative

Our Newspaper

Top Stories

Shops at Boardwalk announces new tenants

Sean Demory, Assistant editor

October 23, 2002

The Zona Rosa mixed-use development on Barry Road and North Congress has tough competition for some of the same businesses from The Shops at Boardwalk.

At least one tenant, Yankee Candle, has apparently jumped ship from the planned Zona Rosa center to the planned Shops at Boardwalk center. Another Zona Rosa tenant rumored to be poised to leave, Cold Stone Creamery, now appears content to stay, and Boardwalk instead may get a Maggie Moo's.
Some competition for retailers between the two centers is not a problem, said Pete Fullerton, Platte County Economic Development Council director.
"The buildings are going up," Fullerton said. "Each of those organizations have ways of bringing in tenants, and I don't think we'll really know who's where until we see a sign on a wall."
With businesses still jockying for locations, RED Development, Kansas City, has announced an initial tenant roster for The Shops at Boardwalk, a 136,000-square-foot open shopping center north of Wal-Mart and Lowe's on Interstate 29 and Missouri Highway 152.
RED spokeswoman Amy Kraft said the development will provide upscale shopping in an environment similar to Barry Woods Crossing, the development company's first Northland project, which it sold in 1998.
Eight businesses filed letters of commitment with RED, including Borders Books and Music, Ann Taylor Loft and Nextel Communications. The center is close to Zona Rosa, a 94-acre retail and housing development near Barry Road and North Congress. Zona Rosa received more than 20 letters of commitment last month.
The shopping centers will provide substantial economic development for western Barry Road, said Kansas City Councilman Ed Ford, chairman, Planning, Zoning and Economic Development.
"There's no question that there'll be competition, but they're different sorts of shopping areas," Ford said. "Zona Rosa's got more of a neo-urbanism focus, with shops in discrete buildings. Although some of the stores may be the same, it'll be a different shopping experience."
Steiner representative Marna Courson said the Shops at Boardwalk would be a welcome neighbor for Zona Rosa.
"This'll bring people to the area to shop, and when the level rises for one, it rises for all," she said. "We're looking forward to having them across the street, obviously."
s

©Sun-News of the Northland 2002

Reader Opinions

Be the first person to voice your opinion on this story!

Back to top

Send us your community news, events, letters to the editor and other suggestions. Now, you can submit birth, wedding and engagement announcements online too!

Copyright © 1995 - 2002 PowerOne Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.