Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - October 25, 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 18:25:35 -0400

------------------------------------
The Hound is upset to read about the arrest of a 17-year Pennsylvania dispatcher in
connection with a drug ring operated by a mother-son team. Undercover officers made many
buys from the pair, including cocaine rock and powder. They arrested the dispatcher when
he arrived to pick up his paycheck, and allege he tipped off the suspects about a police
informant, and ran license plates in support of the duo's criminal enterprise. Some 40
other persons were arrested in connection with the operation.

--------------------------
The Hound warned you back on Oct. 10 that AT&T will darken its CDPD wireless data system,
putting many public safety agencies out of touch from CAD and NCIC. Now the company has
confirmed the shut-down of the 19.2 Kbps system, saying it won't take orders after March
2003, and will turn off the service by the end of 2003. What next? They're steering mobile
data customers to the company's GPRS wireless data service, which moves at up to 40 Kbps.
Earlier this year Fed-Ex signed a 5-year deal to use the AT&T network nationwide,
replacing the courier company's own slower network. Cingular also operates a CDPD network,
but hasn't said what its future plans are for the system.

--------------------------
Odd police work: Tiburon (Calif.) police were asked by the town's building inspector to
halt construction work on Mt. Tiburon, because the project didn't have a permit. What work
was the tractor crew performing? Well, they were preparing the site for a radio antenna
that's part of the county-wide radio upgrade! The Marin Emergency Radio Authority claims
it's a government agency and exempt from the permit requirement. The town's officials say,
not so. MERA executive director Marty Nichols told a reporter, "They threatened to use the
police to stop us if we ignored the order. I didn't see any point in getting our people
arrested, so I told the crews to leave the site and we will take the issue up in court."
Right on...

--------------------------
The FCC's Spectrum Policy Task Force is scheduled to release a report within the next
month with recommendations on a whole raft of wireless issues, including licensing,
allocations, etc. The Hound can't wait...!

--------------------------
CML and Motorola have formed a multi-year development agreement under which CML will
undertake hardware and software design, mechanical assembly, and packaging for Motorola’s
new MCC 5500 mobile radio dispatch consoles. A press release says the first products will
ship in Spring of 2003, and has created 50 new jobs at CML. The consoles are used in the
public safety, transportation, utilities, and other markets.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/auyVXB/KJoEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/