Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - October 29, 2002]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:39:15 -0500

Dog Pound
------------------------------------
The Hound can't wait to see what comes out of Wednesday's symposium in Atlanta on 800 MHz
interference--there are rumors that FCC/NTIS officials attending the session will drop
some hints on which way the FCC is leaning on Nextel's proposal and the subsequent
Consensus Proposal.

--------------------------
Long story in "USA Today" outlining Phase II progress--or lack of it. There are
"technical, financial and jurisdictional issues," the story says (blah-blah-blah), and
governments have often used the E911 surcharge funds to finance other operations. The
newspaper says Phase II is available in 37 areas, including the state of Rhode Island.

--------------------------
In an August progress report, Sprint PCS said that despite having sold about 1.3 million
GPS-enabled phones, it may not be able to meet the commission's requirement of 100%
handset activation by the end of this year due to slowing economic conditions and slower
subs of new phones and service. Instead, Sprint predicts it will meet the goal by early
next year.

--------------------------
The District of Columbia signed Optimus Corp. to provide the city's fire and EMS agencies
with a mobile data system that will track patient, incident and other information.
Interestingly, the software is named "Michaels Fire and EMS," a reference to the patron
saint of fire and EMS. A press release says the system will include data, mapping and even
video, and will link to the region's emergency rooms. Oh, and one week after the contract
announcement, the company split the duties of its founder and president/CEO Eric Adolphe,
leaving him with CEO duties, and handing the "President" title to newly-hired Terence
Fong, a former Lockheed Martin executive. For more info, surf:

http://www.optimuscorp.com

--------------------------
The telecommunications software publication "Billing World and OSS Today" has posted a
long article on public safety communications--of all things! The story strangely brings
together many of the real and potential public safety communications projects--but doesn't
quite hit the mark on what it will really take to deploy them: local participation and
funding. Read for yourself at:

http://www.billingworld.com/archive-detail.cfm?archiveId=6038&hl

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/