Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cellular tower attacked by rebels

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 02:06:14 -0500

Cellular tower attacked by rebels
The Philippines based communist New People's Army (NPA) has attacked a
relay station operated by the GSM network, Globe, according to a report
from the military.

Eight suspected members of the NPA, attacked the Globe relay station in
Song-on, Loon Bohol on Thursday evening. The damaged the cabin and
disarmed the guards - making off with a couple of cell phones and
radios. The NPA then planed explosives and destroyed the relay station.

Another attack on a relay station at Cagayan failed.

Globe is understood to have been targeted as it refuses to pay a tax
demand made by the Communist Party of the Philippines. The NPA is
believed to be the military arm of the Communist Party. Almost exactly 2
years ago, a series of attacks were carried out by rebels on cell phone
towers.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/