Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] USA gets its first commercial 1xEV-DO network

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:04:29 -0500

Great!  But, can I make a *phone call* on the blame thing??
Cheers, Alan

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:49:39 -0500 Marcel <[email-masked]>
writes:
USA gets its first commercial 1xEV-DO network
10/30/02

Monet Mobile Networks, a Seattle-based wireless Internet service
provider, has launched
the USA's first commercial CDMA2000 1xEV-DO wireless data network.
Customers can use Monet
Broadband by installing the GTRAN Wireless DotSurfer PC card and/or the
DotSurfer
CardReader for desktops. Monet is deploying a network based on CDMA2000
1xEV-DO
technology, optimized for data.
"Qualcomm congratulates Monet Mobile on the launch of the nation's first
commercial
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO network," said Dr. Irwin Mark Jacobs, chairman and CEO
of Qualcomm. "This
launch exemplifies what CDMA2000 1xEV-DO technology brings to business
and residential
users -- fast, affordable wireless access to the Internet. CDMA2000
1xEV-DO's flexibility,
high-speed, 'always-on' features make it ideal for enabling wireless
Internet access in
fixed, portable or mobile environments."
LG Electronics is providing the network infrastructure equipment and
support for Monet's
networks. LG is the infrastructure supplier to one of the world's largest
1xEV-DO network
located in South Korea. LG has leveraged its experience in South Korea to
support the
commercial launch of Monet Broadband in the United States. Qualcomm
supports 1xEV-DO with
chipsets and system software, including chipsets for the GTRAN Wireless
PC modem cards,
which offer a variety of advanced features.
The commercial launch of Monet Broadband in Duluth expands Monet's
service area in the
heartland of America. Monet will upgrade its existing networks in Sioux
Falls, S.D.,
Fargo, and Grand Forks, N.D., Moorhead, MN and Eau Claire, WI to 1xEV-DO
in November.

..

---

From: "sparkie_rf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:05:59 -0000

> Great!  But, can I make a *phone call* on the blame thing??

No. the DO in cdma1x EV-DO, means Data Only.

the good news is that the consumer "all-you-can-eat" plan is $40/mo. 
The competition for this service is DSL and cablemodems. if you're 
out of your house most of the time (ie. you have a JOB) then what 
good is a wired broadband service when a wireless one is available.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:28:15 -0500

Unless you have a wireless hub and 6 computers connected to it for you and
your 5 kids - like me.  ;)

I'd still like the wide area wireless option...

Todd Ellis

  -----Original Message-----
  From: sparkie_rf [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 11:06 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: USA gets its first commercial 1xEV-DO network

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              ADVERTISEMENT

  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: "sparkie_rf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:41:50 -0000

> I'd still like the wide area wireless option...

Not at all, you're the perfect customer. 1xEV-DO is 2.4mbps on the 
downlink, you would just plug it into your 802.11b hub. bingo.

the benefits are overwhelming, because now when you go to the beach 
for a week in the summer, or to the mountains in the winter, you can 
bring your broadband with you. 

I think ZZTop said it first, ... you're NationWIDE!!!

Sprint would love to sell you two devices and two accounts, one for 
the house, and one for the boss of the house(err, wife, no I mean 
you). Don't be surprised if you see an EV-DO device nextyear that 
attaches to a directv or dish setup already on top of the house. It 
should take less than 5mins to install.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->