Subject: [mobile-ip] New HMIPv6 draft

From: "Hesham Soliman (EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 17:35:03 +0200

Hello, 

I've submitted a new version of HMIPv6 today. 
Until it is announced on the list you can find it
here:

http://standards.ericsson.net/karim/draft-ietf-mobileip-hmipv6-07.txt

There were several changes made to the draft due to:

1. Comments from the list/implementers
2. Changes due to MIPv6 base spec
3. Editorial

Here are the details:

1. Comments from the list/implementers:

- Extended mode was removed.
- Clarified the use of the P, I and V flags in the MAP
  option and their impact on the MN operations
- Added a new section (11) on recovery from MAP failures. This
  section makes some recommendation on how to detect
  MAP failures and what actions would need to be taken.

2. Changes due to MIPv6 base spec

- Updated the security section to include the MN - MAP
  SA and MN - CN/HA impacts

- Updated the format for the BU

- Added a new section (6.1.1) for MN - CN communication
for RR as well as payload traffic.

3. Editorials

- Several changes in the Introduction.
- Rearanged sections so that the protocol operations
  are described before MAP discovery
- Updated the references
- Updated the Acknowledgement section

As usual comments are welcome,
Hesham

---

From: "Youn-Hee Han" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:52:55 +0900

Hello Hesham Soliman,

During the last few months, I have waited for you to submit new version of HMIPv6.
The announcing of new version may be good news for me and other mobile-IP researcher.

While examining your draft, I have two questions.

1. About I flag in MAP option 
 
In your draft, the flag indicates that the MN MAY use its RCoA as source address of its outgoing packets.
I would like to have clear notion about the usage of both I and P flags.
What case this flag 'must' be set in?
This flag and the P flag are mutual exclusive? 
If so, Cannot the P flag which is not set, take the place of the I flag?

2. Hiding of MN's LCoA vs. Hiding of MN's location?

In page 11 in your draft, you make mention of followings.

   A network operator may prefer to hide the mobile node?s LCoA from 
   nodes outside the MAP domain. To ensure this, a MAP option can be 
   sent with the P flag set. In this case, the mobile node MUST use its 
   RCoA as the source address of its BU (no alternate-CoA option is 
   needed) to its HA and correspondent nodes. It MUST also use its RCoA 
   as the source address for its outgoing packets.  
    
   On the other hand, a mobile node may prefer to hide its location from 
   the correspondent nodes it communicates with and the HA. To achieve 
   this, the mobile node should ensure that it does not provide both its 
   identity and location to any of the correspondent nodes. Since the 
   implied identity of the mobile node is included in every route-
   optimised packet (a Home Address), the mobile node should ensure that 
   it does not provide its exact location to the correspondent nodes and 
   HA. Hence, the mobile node should use its RCoA as a source address 
   for all its outgoing packets. This can be done if the I or P flags 
   are set in the MAP option. Otherwise location privacy can not be 
   provided in this manner.

I don't catch the difference between the hiding of MN's LCoA and the hiding of MN's location?.
In the concluding part, 
the first paragraph says that MN MUST use its RCoA as 
the source address of both its BU and all its outgoing packets. 
On the other hand, the second paragraph says that 
MN SHOULD use its RCoA as only source address of all its outgoing packets.
What criterion makes such discrepancy?

Best Regards,
Youn-Hee Han
Samsung AIT