Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - October 30, 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 04:09:01 -0500

Radio DJ Dale Sommers is being honored for his role in capturing the DC sniper suspects:
he broadcast the descriptions over WLW on his "The Trunckin' Bozo" late-night show.
Kentucky trucker Ron Lantz heard the information, and later spotted the vehicle in a
Maryland rest area. Lantz called police... and the rest is history. Station owner Clear
Channel Communications issued a statement saying it was "profoundly grateful" to the two
men, and that the incident, "underscores the power of radio to support the public
interest." You can catch Sommers on-line at:

http://www.thebozo.com

--------------------------
The Hound could have provided the information for free, but Ohio's Legislative Services
Commission spent their time analyzing the $328 million state-wide public safety radio
system, and concluded it will cost "tens of millions" more for local agencies to purchase
gear to join the system. The system will handle 13 state agencies, but will also be
available for other agencies to join--if they can come up with the money for radios and
annual fee of perhaps $650 per radio. Complaints are beginning to mount that local
agencies won't be able to afford the upgrade.

--------------------------
Elections are just around the corner, and one candidate for sheriff in Rock Island County
(Iowa) has mentioned public safety radio interoperability as an issue. Former Rock Island
city police officer Angelo Anderson (Rep.) is trying to oust sheriff Mike Grchan (Dem.)
after three terms. Among other things, Grchan says the different radio systems in the
county should be replaced with interoperable systems to handle the county, and the cities
of Rock Island, Moline and East Moline.

--------------------------
The Hound would normally joke about the Reverse 911 system in Carmel (Ind.) that didn't
stop making test calls at 7:30 p.m., but continued calling 5,000 residents until 6:30 a.m.
to play a message from the mayor. But the seemingly trivial incident turned serious when
mayor Jim Brainard asked for the resignation of comm center director Jim Kinder, claiming
this was the last of several "mistakes" Kinder had made during the past several months. No
word if Kinder submitted it.

--------------------------
You may be familiar with the Wi-Fi wireless technology, which allows high-bandwidth,
short-range connections between computers and the Internet. You may also have heard of the
"Wardriver" campaign last weekend by techno-types, who drove Manhattan looking for open,
unsecured and unencrypted Wi-Fi networks. Well... they found over 100, including one
police station! The Wardriver group, which hopes to raise awareness of Wi-Fi network
security issues, doesn't access the networks, but simply logs the signal and other
technical information, and will eventually compile a report on their findings.

--------------------------
RACOM Corporation and Central Communications, integrators for Dataradio Corp. products,
recently signed contracts for mobile data: the former by the Umatilla (Ore.) Tribal Police
Department (32 Kbps with GPS on UHF), and the latter by Morristown (Tenn.) for use by
Central Communications (25.6 Kbps on 800 MHz for 20 law enforcement vehicles). Dataradio
will also upgrade the current mobile data system in Bullhead City (Ariz.) from 19.2 Kbps
to 32 Kpbs on UHF and 800 MHz.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/