Subject: [mobile-ip] I-D ACTION:draft-suh-rmm-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:18:57 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Regional Mobile IPv6 mobility management
	Author(s)	: K. Suh
	Filename	: draft-suh-rmm-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2002-10-29
	
This document defines a new protocol, namely, Regional Mobile IPv6 
mobility management (RMM/RMIPv6). RMM mechanism satisfies the LMM 
requirements while it is more flexible mobility management scheme 
than existing solution, for example HMIPv6. This document therefore
describes methods to be used to reduce the amount of signaling to
the Home Agent and Correspondent Nodes. In addition, this scheme 
is flexible enough to adapt to any network topology assumed by 
IPv6. The network that using RMM/RMIPv6 is robust against the failure 
or the performance degradation. The mechanism is intended to reuse 
the Care of Address. Moreover, the forwarding tunnel length from 
an anchor point to a Mobile Node can be a controllable or 
configurable.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-suh-rmm-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-suh-rmm-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-suh-rmm-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Claude Castelluccia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:05:25 +0100

Dear Kyungjoo,

I had a quick look at your draft. Your scheme is basically a special
case of HMIPv6.
If i understood well, you basically propose to put the MAP in the AR (we
actually
acknowledge in our draft that this is a possible configuration).
So i don't see why your scheme is more flexible than HMIPv6 as you argue
in the draft.
I actually believe that HMIPv6 is more flexible since it allows you to
place the MAP
wherever you want (at the AR if you want). Could you please be more
specific?

Some more comments:

-in A.1, you say that in HMIPv6, the LCoA must be obtained in a
stateless manner.
This is incorrect. Nothing prevents from obtaining the LCoA in a
statefull manner....

- in A.1, you are refering to HMIPv6 basic mode and HMIPv6 extended
mode. Please note that
in the last version of the HMIPv6 draft, the extended mode has been
taking out. HMIPv6
only suuports one mode now: the basic node...

regards,
Claude.

PS: what is your email...it does not appear on your draft...

-- 

----------------------------------------
Claude CASTELLUCCIA, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  
ph:  +33 4.76.61.52.15 (fax: 52.52)
http://www.inrialpes.fr/planete/

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:07:17 -0600

Hello Claude,
  It seems this draft is proposing MIPv4 (ARs becomes FAs) into MIPv6.
However, even

> draft-ietf-mobileip-hmipv6-07.txt

has not yet brought any satisfacty solution to the domain change 
detection problem that I identified in my draft:

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sarikaya-mobileip-lmmframework-01.txt

MIPv4 regional registration draft which is going nowhere solves this 
using NAI. There was some text in v6 of HMIPv6 addressing this problem 
which is now removed.
  How do we address domain or site changes, I think this is a 
fundamental problem of any localized mobility management proposal.

Regards,

-- 
Behcet

---

From: Claude Castelluccia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:18:19 +0100

> Behcet Sarikaya wrote:

Hi Behcet,

-why is it so important to detect the domain changes (i guess that this
is a
different problem than MAP change detection?)?
-Is it an IP problem? Look more like an AAA problem to me?

cheers,
Claude.

--

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:35:16 -0800

> -Is it an IP problem? Look more like an AAA problem to me?

It is both, actually. The NAI method in MIPv4 solves the AAA problem by mixing
it with the IP problem, which probably isn't the right way to go, as Hesham
mentioned.

Actually,  I think this issue is more complex than just HMIP and is probably
worthy of some consideration on its own. How does a MN that isn't using HMIP
detect when it has moved to a different administrative domain?

            jak

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:25:05 -0600

>detect when it has moved to a different administrative domain?
draft-ietf-ipng-site-prefixes

talked about site prefixes that can be obtained from RAs, and this could 
be one solution. If your site prefix changes then you are on a different 
site. However it seems not so easy to say which part of the subnet 
prefix is the site prefix.

In IPv4 the only solution is to use the NAI concept.

-- 
Behcet

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:59:57 -0800

Isn't the first 16 bits of the subnet prefix the site prefix that gets assigned
to the AS?

I don't see how this could be definitive, however, because an ISP could have two
adjacent sites, and the MN would not be required to reauthenticate.

            jak

----- Original Message -----
From: "Behcet Sarikaya" <[email-masked]>
To: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Claude Castelluccia" <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] I-D ACTION:draft-suh-rmm-00.txt