Subject: [mobile-ip] MIPv6: Binding Authorization Data - type thereof

From: "Greg O'Shea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:41:13 +0100

"Rules for calculating this value depend on the used
   authorization procedure.  This specification gives the rules only for
   the return routability procedure." [6.2.6]

Then there had better be a type field or similar in the BU in order to
identify which authorization procedure the sender has used.

Greg

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:53:59 +0300

> identify which authorization procedure the sender has used.

There isn't, but the current specification describes only one approach.
Future specifications, if any, that introduce new approaches must specify
how (a) they can distinguish that the new approach is being used and (b)
how they ensure that the peer doesn't think rr is in use.

This appears easy, however. For instance, if we were to introduce CGA
extension we could add mobility options and/or flags in the HoTI and
CoTI messages to carry the additional data related to this method.
A CN which doesn't support these mobility options would ignore the
options and return a regular HoT / CoT. A CN which supports the new
method would return the necessary options. At this point the MN would
be aware of the support on the other side. When sending the BU, the
MN would include options and/or flags which would tell the CN what
to do.

Jari