Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cell Phones Disrupt Nation's Classrooms

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:18:39 -0500

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/10-31-2002/0001831815&EDATE=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/auyVXB/KJoEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Cell Phones Disrupt Nation's Classrooms

Safety Minded Schools Seek Communications Alternative

BOULDER, Colo., Oct. 31 /PRNewswire/ -- Across the country, school
districts are choosing to forbid students from using their cell phones during
class time in order to minimize class disruptions. Without wired telephones
or student cell phones as an option, parents are nervous about their children
being out of reach, especially in emergency situations. However, according to
Ben Guderian of SpectraLink, the leading manufacturer of K-12 on-campus
wireless telephone systems, there is an attractive alternative.
Districts across the nation are providing their teachers with a campus-
only wireless telephone that integrates directly with their school's telephone
system. This option solves the need for improved communication without
disrupting the classroom environment, doesn't incur any airtime charges, and
puts the teachers and administrators in control of campus communication rather
than losing control to students.
"Some believe that cell phones can provide an extra level of safety for
students in an emergency, but this hasn't proven to be the case," said Mr.
Guderian. "According to a recent survey by the National Association of School
Resource Officers (NASRO), 70% of school security professionals believe that
student use of cell phones in schools would detract from school safety in a
crisis."
During a crisis, authorities need to have a primary point of contact that
can be a reliable source of information. If multiple students are trying to
reach appropriate authorities via their personal cell phones, emergency
service numbers could be overrun. In addition, conflicting and confusing
information from several sources could slow authorities.
On-campus wireless telephones, on the other hand, remain in the control of
the teacher, ensuring that communications are streamlined and effective.
While cell phone networks can be overrun and jammed during times of heavy use,
on-campus wireless telephones operate over a school's existing phone system
and can handle the burden of simultaneous call volume. Additionally, since
these wireless telephones are integrated with the school's existing telephone
system, teachers have access to features such as voicemail, call transferring,
and three-way conferencing -- options that would not be available to them when
using a cell phone.
"With an on-campus wireless telephone, teachers and administrators are
always in touch no matter where they are on the school grounds," said Mr.
Guderian. "While cell phones often have poor coverage in areas such as
classrooms, cafeterias, and stairwells, on-campus wireless telephones ensure
that there is 100% communication coverage."
In addition to concerns over crisis situations, the idea of cell phones in
schools raises issues with their effect on the learning environment. Once a
cell phone rings and is answered, the student's focus on the classroom
discussion is lost. The attention in the classroom goes to the person on the
phone, even if the phone is hung up immediately.
Another organization that opposes allowing students to carry cell phones
is National School Safety and Security Services (NSSSS), a consulting firm
that focuses on school safety and crisis preparedness. "The potential abuses
and disruption outweigh the advantages," according to a statement by the
NSSSS. "From an educational perspective, cell phones primarily present
another disruption to the educational environment on a day-to-day basis."
The use of on-campus wireless telephones by teachers and administrators
offers school districts a controlled solution to school communication issues.
When each teacher has an on-campus wireless telephone, communication is
controlled by an adult and used only when needed. Additionally, on-campus
wireless telephones do not disturb the learning environment because vibration
modes and text messaging can ensure that teachers don't have to interrupt the
learning process to take non-critical calls. Teachers may also allow students
to make or receive important calls, but by directly controlling the means of
communication, they can ensure that students spend their time learning,
creating an overall more effective and productive learning environment.

Click here

SOURCE SpectraLink

Web Site: http://www.spectralink.com

Issuers
of news releases and not PR Newswire are solely responsible for the accuracy of
the content.

Copyright © 1996-2002 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.

A United
Business Media company.