Subject: [mobile-ip] Administratively enabling and disabling of the route optimisation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 20:19:25 +0530

Hello All
I have a question on administratively enabling and disabling of the route
optimisation

1>after disabling route optimisation what CN will do with existing binding
in the binding cache and existing upper layer connection? Should CN
continue sending packet with type 2 routing header? Or send packet to Home
address of MN in case binding exist for MN.

Also consider the scenario
Route optimisation is disabled at CN and MN is sending packet with Home
Address option, when CN receives packet with Home address option it will
send binding error message with status as 1. Then MN starts RR procedure.
MN will retransmit HOTI, COTI message and CN will drop the message, as
route optimisation is disabled, this can be avoided by sending binding
error message to MN indicating route optimisation is disabled ...what I
mean is defining another status code for binding error message to report
route optimisation not supported.

Regards
Arvind

---

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:17:54 -0700 (PDT)

> >
> > 3   Route Optimization is not operational
> >
> > This will also distinguish from MIPv6 aware CN and non-MIPv6 CN nodes, when
> > one sends BE and the other sends ICMP PARAM.
> 
> You can just as easily send a Binding Acknowledgement with Status code 129
> (Administratively prohibited), which is what we do.  I
> 

Ok. That works better than dropping packets.

Thanks,
-Samita