Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Non Compliant Equipment

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 04:17:41 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Gregg R. Lengling" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Non Compliant Equipment

Another big problem has always been to modify the radios one the
modifications has been to disable the VCO lock detect circuit.  I remember
when people started out-banding the IC-04 and IC-02's.  The radio would
spray like crazy until the VCO locked because it would transmit before it
locked.  The type acceptance specs for out of band emissions are also looser
for Amateur certification than for Commercial rating.  Also Steve's comments
are on 100% as the radios would end up on the wrong freq. half the
time......big time problems.  But then again these people get what they paid
for...something that is unreliable...it's either on the wrong freq. or once
it's dropped it's trash.....

I applaud anyone who files a complaint with the FCC about an agency such as
this trying to skirt the rules...the rules are there for a reason...look
what happened when the FCC bowed to financial pressure and lobbying by
Nextel....800 is such a mess...so should we destroy the whole RF spectrum

Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve S. Bosshard (NU5D)" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 6:19 PM
Subject:  Non Compliant Equipment

> Many ham radios can be modified to operate in commercial service and will
most likely do a fair job from a technical stand point.
> Aside from being illegal, the controls used to operate a ham radio are not
practical for a non-technical person to use.  Imagine
> trying to program a 420 kHz transmit offset and sub tone.  Also narrow
band and dpl are pretty much out.  Using a ham radio for
> commercial service is mighty risky.  Press function shift F2 and rotate
the channel selector to step through the ctcss settings.  Do
> you want decode with that?  Finally the construction and ruggedness are
not the same in many cases and battery life is also
> different.
> steve

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 04:20:14 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
   From: "ptt4all" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Non Compliant Equipment

2nd place reason is some folks are either to cheap to purchase the
right tool for the job, and/or don't understand or care about the
significance or potential consequences of their not doing so.

JW