Subject: [NEXTEL-1] News...Nextel to Offer Wireless/W-LAN Combo

From: "maybach007" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 07:53:33 -0000

http://www.bwcs.com/BWCS-News1179.html

(25/10/2002, BWCS Staf) The fifth largest mobile operator in the US, 
Nextel Communications, has announced plans to begin offering W-LAN 
services by the end of the year. The Reston Virginia-based company 
has been trialling cellular/W-LAN networks at its own HQ and at 
several pilot locations since March of this year. For more 
information about the grwoing number of players emerging in the W-
LAN/cellular space please see Wireless LANs At the Edge: Unlocking 
Corporate Mobile Data Revenues . 

The company has so far refused to give details of its planned 
service, but it is one of a number of companies to have invested in 
RadioFrame Networks, a US start-up which focuses on providing 
wireless LAN/cellular coverage indoors. Analysts see the proposed 
new service as a good fit with Nextel's customer base. The
operator 
has long targeted enterprise and business users and reports that 90% 
of its mobile subscribers are business users. 

Nextel, which is present in 197 out of the top 200 US markets, 
claimed a total subscriber base of over 9.2 million in March 2002. 
According to the operator, some 20% of its customers currently use I-
Den, its national IP-based wireless data network

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/