Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Non-Certified Equip

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:05:38 -0400

------- Original Message --------
   From: Mark Krotz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Non-Certified Equip

Maybe this has already been hashed over here?  (I was
away for a couple days)

Mark

October 15, 2002

Karl Bingert, Chief
Bon Secour Fire & Rescue
Bon Secour, AL 36535

RE: Advisory Notice--Use of Non-Certified Equipment
for Public Safety Communications; Case #EB-2002-437

Dear Chief Bingert:

Information has come to our attention that your department may be using
ICOM IC-V8 Amateur Radio Service 2-meter hand-held radio units that have
been modified to operate on fire department frequencies.

Please be advised that all equipment used in the public safety service must
be certified by the Commission and each unit must bear a certification
label. The use of Amateur Radio units of any kind, modified to operate on
your frequencies, would be against the Commission's rules and would result
in enforcement action by the Commission.

You may call me at 717-338-2502 if you have any questions about this
inquiry.