Subject: [mobile-ip] WG last call - draft-ietf-mobileip-lowlatency-handoffs-v4-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:39:23 -0500

Hello,

We would like to propose the "Low Latency Handoffs in Mobile IPv4 -
draft-ietf-mobileip-lowlatency-handoffs-v4-04.txt" as an Experimental
standard to the IESG. 

Hence please treat this as the WG last call for this draft.
Please send your comments to the list.

WG last call expires on October 18th, 2002.

-Chairs

---

From: gabriel montenegro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 23:35:27 +0200

> draft-ietf-mobileip-lowlatency-handoffs-v4-04.txt" as an Experimental
   ^^^^^^^^^^
Minor but important nit. No such thing as an experimental standard.
Just in case people may get confused, the intent is to publish it
as an Experimental specification, which is explicitly *not* a
standard.

The relevant text from rfc2026 is:

4.2  Non-Standards Track Maturity Levels

    Not every specification is on the standards track.  A specification
    may not be intended to be an Internet Standard, or it may be intended
    for eventual standardization but not yet ready to enter the standards
    track.  A specification may have been superseded by a more recent
    Internet Standard, or have otherwise fallen into disuse or disfavor.

    Specifications that are not on the standards track are labeled with
    one of three "off-track" maturity levels:  "Experimental",
    "Informational", or "Historic".  The documents bearing these labels
    are not Internet Standards in any sense.

4.2.1  Experimental

    The "Experimental" designation typically denotes a specification that
    is part of some research or development effort.  Such a specification
    is published for the general information of the Internet technical
    community and as an archival record of the work, subject only to
    editorial considerations and to verification that there has been
    adequate coordination with the standards process (see below).  An
    Experimental specification may be the output of an organized Internet
    research effort (e.g., a Research Group of the IRTF), an IETF Working
    Group, or it may be an individual contribution.

-gabriel