Subject: [mobile-ip] Use of Site local address

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:31:10 +0530

Hi,

According to draft 18 -
"Packets addressed to the mobile node's site-local address SHOULD be
tunneled to the mobile
node by default, but this behavior MUST be configurable to disable it"

So at HA's end the use of site local address is configurable.

Consider the following cases:
Suppose MN moved out of the home network and in the mean time HA has
disabled the use of site local address. And if MN sends a BU with 'S' = 0,
then HA will create Binding cache entries for all possible home addresses
excluding the site local addresses.  Now MN starts a connection using the
site local address thinking that HA has the Binding cache entries for site
local home addresses.
What should HA do on receiving such reverse tunneled packets from MN ?

thanks,
Sourajeet

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sourajeet Mohanty
Software Engineer
Communications and Embedded Systems
L&T Infotech Ltd., Bangalore
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:24:45 +0200

> What should HA do on receiving such reverse tunneled packets from MN ?

This would be equivalent to any other "lying" that the MN can do
inside the tunnel to the home agent. The document does not currently
mandate anything for this. I think its fine to leave this to implementations
and policies of the owner.

Jari