Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public Safety Wireless Network-(PSWN) Highlights Oct. 29-31 Atl,GA.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 07:23:25 -0500

For those who were unable to attend the Public Safety Wireless Network- (PSWN) meeting
hosted by Atlanta Police Department, here are some of the highlights from yesterday's
meeting.

   * In yesterday's meeting Michael Duffy, Director Telecommunications Services Staff,
     Department of Justice revealed that Federal Agencies will NOT meet the 2005 Narrow
     band Mandate as prescribed by the Federal Government. Michael Duffy cited Federal
     budget constraints as the most significant reson for the delay. Full compliance is
     not expected until. 2010. The Department of Justice and Department of the Treasury
     Integrated Wireless Network maintains 2,500 sites for 9 Department of Treasury  and 6
     Justice Departments agencies with a total of 80,000 users nationwide. Michael Duffy
     also said that Commercial Services  CANNOT meet the needs of these Federal agencies.

   *  Wray Hall, the State Frequency Coordinator for Georgia confirmed plans for a "State
     Wide Radio Communications Network". The system will have interoperability at all
     levels and will provide seamless communications. Wray is responsible for over 1000
     State licenses. The State Will have one Interoperability committee, sponsored by 911
     Legislative Task Force. Wray, also confirmed plans for the State to utilize the 700
     Mhz band for further interoperability. The new 700mhz equipment will be compatible
     with the existing 800Mhz equipment. The State is also very concerned about the
     "Consensus Plan" and is awaiting the final outcome.

   * Tracy Roberts, Radio System Manager, 800 Mhz Department, Cobb County, Georgia and
     Major William Gordon, Atlanta Police Department and others were honored for the work
     with Public Safety Wireless Network. Each were presented awards by Rick Murphy,
     Program Manager, Department of the Treasury.

   * Atlanta's Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority -purchased the JPS ACU-1000 to
     provide interoperability. Marta also confirmed they are moving forward with their 800
     Mhz Radio System plans. The have signed a contract with Motorola for the new system.

   * GEMA-Georgia Emergency Management Agency Plans to deploy Web Enabled Pen Tablets to
     track "real-time" Hospital and Utility company resources. GEMA also discussed the
     "GETS" system which provides wireline "Priority Access". GEMA has yet to establish
     "Priority Access" for Wireless Devices. GEMA also hopes to improve on data rate
     speeds by employing "3G" technologies

   * Fulton County, Ga.  also Purchased a JPS ACU-1000 for deployment in emergencies to
     provide interoperabilty.

   * The "Hot Topic" of the day was clearly the JPS ACU-1000.  Many agencies were unaware
     of the system and its capability. The President of JPS was there yesterday and I hope
     to get further details today.

I will provide additional details later.

Marcel-

                                 Copyright © 2002 NEXTEL-1

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1