Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cell phone users willing to pay for higher call quality

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:44:59 -0500

Cell phone users willing to pay for higher call quality

10/30/02

Cell phone users are unanimous that the voice quality of cell phone calls is unacceptable,
but split on whether they are prepared to pay more for better service, according to a
survey from speech quality specialist, Psytechnics. The poll among 237 USA based cell
phone users shows that 82% are frustrated by mobile networks' call quality being lower
than standard telephone lines. A third of all respondents stated the cost of calls should
reflect the level of voice quality, with providers offering cheaper rates or discounts for
poor connections.
Business users are even prepared to pay a premium for a guaranteed high level of voice
quality. In fact, half stated this would be worth the extra cost.
Consumer users are less willing to part with additional dollars. Only 16% would be
prepared to pay more for better quality for their personal cell phone calls. The survey
results indicate that service providers have an opportunity to offer tiered-levels of
service based on quality, to help generate new revenue streams, while improving customer
satisfaction.
"Consumers expect that commodities should meet quality standards, so why should the voice
quality on their cell phone be any different?" said Iain Wood, director of sales and
marketing at Psytechnics. "The cell phone industry still has to convince its customer base
that call quality is improving. Network providers have a real opportunity to differentiate
themselves and attract a wider customer base. To do this, operators need to invest in test
and measurement tools to continually monitor and improve voice quality."

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/