Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Powell Promotes More Spectrum For Unlicensed Uses

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:41:29 -0500

Powell Promotes More Spectrum For Unlicensed Uses

While the U.S. wireless industry tries to stoke momentum behind
establishing more efficient auctions of radio spectrum licenses,
Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell
tips his hand toward increasing the country's allocation of
spectrum for unlicensed uses. "We need a new spectrum policy
that fits a new paradigm of putting the consuming public into the
assessment of the spectrum public interest," Powell said during a
spectrum policy conference at the University of Colorado. He
added, "we should develop policies that avoid interference rules
that are barriers to entry, that assume a particular proponent's
business model or technology, and that take the place of
marketplace or technical solutions."

At it meeting next Thursday, the FCC is expected to vote to issue
a report by its Spectrum Management Task Force. A notice of
inquiry to elicit public reaction to the report, and to focus the FCC
on spectrum management issues, could follow the report's release.
"Our mission should be to build a policy that recognizes the diverse
and complex opportunities presented by changes in the role of
interference in spectrum policy," Powell said in Boulder, Colo. For
more on this and other hot topics within the wireless sector, be
sure to read the latest edition of Wireless Data News.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/auyVXB/KJoEAA/jd3IAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:14:42 -0800

The comments below are incredulous, unbelievable, to have come from the
Chairman of the FCC.

What we all need is MORE SPECTRUM, not more uses of the limited and
grossly overloaded spectrum we already have.

Let me repeat this: We need Spectrum, not additional uses of spectrum!

And to suggest interference reduction is an undesirable component of
responsible spectrum management shows a great lack of technical
understanding within the leadership of the FCC. You cannot regulate the
laws of physics but the FCC lawyers continue to try and the public
suffers as a result. 

I'm picturing a boat captain that keeps putting more and more passengers
on the same rickety boat. The existing passengers are screaming warnings
of sinking and capsizing, but the captain ignores the obvious and keeps
loading more passengers. Our ship is about to sink, Mr. Powell.

But I may be wrong.........
Jack Daniel
===================================

Marcel wrote:
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.