Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Man charged with theft in telephone scam

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 05:37:22 -0500

Thursday, March 6, 2003

Man charged with theft in telephone scam

Second suspect remains at large

By JAMES P. QUARANTA
Staff Writer; [email-masked]

VINELAND -- An employee of a city telecommunications firm used a customer's credit card
account information to try to steal $3,868 worth of phones, police said.

Andrew Suppi, 21, of Diamond Drive -- who worked at Wireless Extreme in Cumberland Mall
-- was charged with theft, police said. He was released on a summons pending court action.

Police were still searching for a second person who they believe took part in the scam.
That
suspect worked for Lairson Communications in Bridgeton.

Here's how the incident unfolded, according to police:

The pair met to discuss the plan at the Wireless Extreme store in the 400 block of North
Delsea
Drive.

The suspect still at large told Suppi he needed a "business file" from Wireless Extreme to

fraudulently purchase Nextel phones.

Suppi gave the other suspect the credit card account information of a woman who previously

bought two cell phones at Wireless Extreme.

Suppi was promised either money or several telephones in exchange for his help.

The scam fell apart when Nextel called both the female victim and Lairson Communications
to
inform them there'd be a delay in shipping 17 of the phones.

When word of the situation got back to the owner of Wireless Extreme, he knew something
was
wrong because he is responsible for approving every transaction. The owner told police he
suspected Suppi because he was the only other person who had access to customer
information

http://www.thedailyjournal.com/news/stories/20030306/localnews/1115272.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/