Subject: [mobile-ip] Mobile IPv4: FA-HA Sec Assoc revisited.

From: Sivasundar Ramamurthy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:23:03 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

RFC3344 does not clearly state what the FA endpoint is in the
FA-HA key, which may lead to interop problems. One school of
thought is that the endpoint is the COA in request, and the other is
that the endpoint is the src address used by the FA to forward the
request.

There are two scenarios when the source address used by the FA to 
forward a reg request to a HA is different from the COA in request:

1. MN with CO-COA registering with FA due to 'R' bit set in advert. 

2. Multihomed FA seperating control interface from tunneling interface
for the sake of performance (RFC3344 does not disallow this).

From case #1, one can deduce that FA endpoint should actually be the
source address used by the FA to forward the packet, and not the COA
in the request.

Can the Wokring Group probably please clarify what the FA endpoint is?

thanks,

Siva

ps: this issue had brought up before but unless I am mistaken there
has not been a conclusion.