Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Security concerns may propel telematics adoption

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:37:18 -0500

Security concerns may propel telematics adoption
March 25 13:16:00, 2003

OYSTER BAY, N.Y.—A new report finds that threats to national security have pushed
telematics companies to develop
new, advanced technologies for fleet management applications, but under today’s economic
climate, few fleet operators
will be able to take advantage of those products.

According to a report from Allied Business Intelligence Inc., commercial telematics
products are still too expensive for
most small fleet operators, despite dropping hardware costs. However, the firm said future
government subsidies may
help finance new telematics systems in some fleets that are at higher risk, including
transporters of hazardous materials,
fuel, and explosives.

ABI said in its new “Fleet Management Systems: Exploring Global Market Opportunities,
Trends, and Technologies in
Commercial Telematics” report that the small fleet market is expected to drive the global
commercial telematics market
from $2 billion last year to more than $6 billion in 2008.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=7789