Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon to launch EV-DO service in D.C., San Diego

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:21:33 -0500

Nextel gets left in the dust again...........................
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verizon to launch EV-DO service in D.C., San Diego
March 17 12:44:00, 2003

NEW ORLEANS—Verizon Wireless announced plans to launch a high-speed wireless data service
powered by 1x EV-DO
technology and 802.11b Wi-Fi service in Washington, D.C., and San Diego before the end of
the year.

Th service will allow users to access corporate local area networks or intranets from any
location and, according to
Verizon, 1x EV-DO technology will be faster than GPRS and EDGE speeds, capable of
downloading a 1-Megabyte e-mail
attachment in less than 20 seconds. Lucent Technologies is supplying the 1x EV-DO network
by upgrading and adding
Flexent base stations to the existing network. The companies have already deployed the
technology in Verizon’s New
Orleans commercial network to support demonstrations of 1x EV-DO this week at the CITA
Wireless 2003 event taking
place there.

Verizon also said it plans to sell an array of 1x EV-DO devices, including PCMCIA cards,
modem solutions and phones to
complement the service.

“We congratulate Verizon Wireless on their plans to roll out cdma2000 1x EV-DO services,”
said Jeff Jacobs, president of
global development for Qualcomm Inc., which supports the technology with chipsets and
system software solutions.
“Cdma2000 1x EV-DO offers companies ways to improve service, increase productivity and
gain a competitive edge. With
speeds competitive to wired broadband coupled with the benefits of mobility, we are
confident that there will be demand
for cdma2000 1x EV-DO for the enterprise throughout North America.”

Verizon also announced its plans to offer access between its own branded 802.11 service
and its wireless area
networks in the third quarter of 2003 and said it is working with Wayport Inc. to offer
Wi-Fi service in indoor locations
like hotels and airports. West Virginia Wireless to provide college student service
March 17 12:25:00, 2003

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=7633
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/