Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Information Security: Beyond the Firewall - A Technical White Paper

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:49:14 -0500

Information Security: Beyond the Firewall - A Technical White Paper

Today’s Security Landscape
Even with stories of virus attacks and buffer overflows filling newspapers and magazines,
security conscious
enterprises realize that sole reliance on generic security mechanisms, such as firewalls,
intrusion detection, operating
system hardening, and virus protection, doesn’t provide the protection they need for their
business operations. Each of
these security mechanisms are important, but they are insufficient to address an
enterprise’s overall information
security needs. A firewall, for example, can prevent some Internet-based attacks; but it
offers no protection from
insiders or outsiders who are using authorized services, but in illegitimate ways. Keeping
all security patches up to
date can reduce vulnerability to hacker exploits, but it can’t prevent someone in accounts
payable from processing
fraudulent invoices.

Security conscious enterprises know that the key to safety in the dangerous world of
cyberspace is to focus on
protecting their sensitive information and not just the computers that process and store
it. One reason for this
increased emphasis on protecting information is because businesses are becoming more aware
of the importance of
the value and vulnerability of their own intellectual property and trade secrets. Just
last year, a major consumer
products manufacturer was ordered to pay $10 million to a competitor for stealing its
shampoo formulas, and a
software company had to pay a competitor over $180 million for stealing its source code.
Corporate espionage is big
business.

 http://www.sybase.com/content/1022216/5335securitywpapv4.pdf
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/