Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Revamped Gadgets, Networks Promise Better, Quick Contact

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:00:07 -0500

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/0,,SB10481017059418800-search,00.html?collection=wsjie%2F30day&vql_string=nextel%3Cin%3E%28article%2Dbody%29

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search

Quotes & Research

Advanced Search

Symbol(s)

Name

As of 1:41 a.m. EST Thursday, March 20, 2003

In Today's Paper

Columnists

Portfolio

Setup Center

Discussions

Site Map

Help

Contact Us

Today In:

@ Your Service

Lind Simulated Trading-30 Days FREE!

FREE report >> Forbes columnist's stock market analysis

Give the perfect gift: The Online Journal

Get FREE Ameritrade offer now.

NEC Europe

Financial Workstations at PC Prices

GADGETS

Start a FREE
trial of the
Online Journal

Subscribe to
The Print Journal

Free US Quotes:

Symbol

Name

Get FREE E-Mail by topic

Check Out our
Mobile & Wireless Services

DIGEST OF EARNINGS

Details of the latest corporate
earnings reported for FREE.

CONNECTING IN A CRISIS

See how some popular communications gadgets might perform in an
emergency.

OTHER RESOURCES

Read "reviews of reviews" that help
you evaluate consumer electronics products through our partnership with
ConsumerSearch.com.

advertisement

<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/interactive.wsj.com/article_email;famil=article_email;meta=DTE;sz=300x250;ord=29927299272992729927" target="_new"><img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/interactive.wsj.com/article_email;famil=article_email;meta=DTE;sz=300x250;ord=29927299272992729927" border=0 width=300 height=250 vspace="0" alt="Advertisement"></a><br clear="all">

HOW TO GET THROUGH

Learn to Text Message

Phone text messages are more likely to go through even when networks are
overloaded with calls. Nearly every cellphone is capable of sending these
messages.

Let Your Phone Roam

Learn how to manually override your own network so you can use other
carriers' networks if yours is jammed.

Don't Count on Your BlackBerry

Many new Research In Motion models operate over regular cellphone networks
and may not be as reliable as older models in a crisis.

COMPANIES

Dow Jones, Reuters

Sprint Corp. (PCS Group) (PCS)

PRICE
CHANGE
U.S. dollars

4.06
-0.08
3:36 p.m.

Nextel Communications Inc. Cl A (NXTL)

PRICE
CHANGE
U.S. dollars

13.35
-0.14
3:41 p.m.

Research in Motion Ltd. (RIMM)

PRICE
CHANGE
U.S. dollars

14.02
-0.15
3:41 p.m.

* At Market Close

RELATED INDUSTRIES

•

Telecommunications

Personalized Home Page Setup

Put headlines on your homepage about the companies, industries and topics that interest you most.

Revamped Gadgets, Networks

Promise Better, Quick Contact

By JANE SPENCER

Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET
JOURNAL

When Congressman Bob Ney got word that a plane had splintered the
Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001, he had two thoughts: beating it out of the
Capitol building and calling his wife in Ohio. But his cellphone was
jammed, the street payphones gave him dead air, and even the line he
borrowed at a local business offered the refrain of the day: "all circuits
are busy."

As a last resort, he e-mailed her on his BlackBerry. Within seconds, it
flashed her response from Ohio. "OK. Call when you can, we're worried,
love, Liz." A few weeks later, Congressmen Ney, who is chairman of the
House Administration Committee, ordered more than 400 BlackBerrys for
members of the House.

As counterterrorism officials declare the "near certainty" of
retaliatory attacks on the U.S. in the event of war, Americans are
revisiting a question raised on Sept. 11: What's the best way to connect
with your family quickly in an emergency? As some panicked Americans top
off their gas tanks and stock up on plastic sheeting, many are taking a
fresh look at the gadgets that jam their pockets.

But what worked -- and what sputtered -- on Sept. 11 may not be a good
indication of what would perform well in a future crisis. Communications
technology has changed dramatically over the past 18 months. Some
BlackBerry hand-helds, for example, which performed spectacularly that
September day, have been redesigned. The latest models may be just as
subject to jamming as regular cellphones if networks get overloaded.

And gadgets that choked on Sept. 11 are likely to offer better service
in a future attack. Over the past year, cellphone companies, including
Sprint PCS and Verizon Wireless,
have rolled out new high-speed data networks that can accommodate heavier
traffic loads. In addition, text messaging, now a standard feature on all
wireless phones, is likely to work even if voice networks are inundated,
because text requires less capacity and is sometimes sent on a different
part of the network.

Nextel's "Direct Connect" feature
allows you to use the phone like a walkie-talkie by bypassing regular phone
switching centers -- ideal if cellphones and conventional phone lines are
clogged. Encouraged by customer response, the company is now rolling out
the feature nationally.

The shifts in technology have forced consumers to face a dizzying array
of emergency communications options -- many of which they actually don't
need. Disaster kit packing lists created by the Red Cross don't even
mention cellphones. "Whatever works for the family normally is great," says
the Red Cross's Dana Allen. "We don't really want people relying too
heavily on technology in case systems go down."

Most consumers can employ a few simple strategies to improve their odds.
For starters, don't keep hitting the redial button on regular or wireless
phones. Dialing in rapid succession can cause network congestion,
exacerbating the overload problem. (This happens weekly during the
"American Idol" TV show, when callers are asked to vote by phone.) Instead,
wait a full minute between calls.

Learning how to peck out a text message on your cellphone can radically
boost your chances of making contact in a crisis. Virtually every phone
made since the late '90s is equipped with the feature -- but only about 15%
of users use it regularly. Text messages may be able to bypass an
overloaded network, and you can quickly blast the same message to a large
group of people.

On most phones, sending a text message simply requires punching a few
buttons on the phone's keypad, accessing the main menu, and pressing the
text-messaging option -- typically for a small fee. Occasionally, companies
require customers to sign up for the service separately. Another tactic:
Manually override the feature that keeps your phone locked to your
carrier's network, which can be achieved on many phones by simply accessing
the "system" option in the phone's menu.

In emergencies, both wireless carriers and landline phone companies
typically free up lines and give priority to people who are trying to call
out of the affected area. That means it's often easier to call out from an
emergency location than to call into the disaster area. In some cases, it
can be easier to make long-distance calls than local calls. This occurred
on 9/11 when Verizon's central office in downtown Manhattan was damaged.
That's why the Red Cross urges families to designate a common family
contact who is outside their region in the event a disaster damages the
local phone systems.

Networks Could Still Jam

Consumers now armed with new cellphones may not be any better off. Even
updated networks could still jam. "Every wireless network is finite," says
Greg Santoro, vice president of Internet and wireless services at Nextel
.
"That's the reality of the entire industry." Cellphone networks already
operate at about 80% capacity on a regular workday, according to IDC
Research, which leaves many carriers with little extra room to accommodate
the surge in call volume that typically accompanies a national
emergency.

In some circumstances, older technology might actually work better than
the latest gizmo. Take Research In
Motion's BlackBerrys, which emerged as a must-have digital device
after the terrorist attacks. The original RIM BlackBerry models operate on
a data-only network called Mobitex that is known for its ability to
penetrate buildings and rarely jams.

But as RIM and other gadget makers focus on designs that combine
cellphones, organizers and e-mail into a single gadget, the newer models
operate on the same network as regular cellphones. RIM models with built-in
phones, such as the new BlackBerry 6210 and the BlackBerry 6710, send both
e-mail and phone calls over wireless phone networks.

"If the cellular networks are overloaded, these things are not going to
work," says Alex Slawsby, an analyst with research firm IDC. He points out
that e-mails alone may get through the system faster if the system is
overloaded.

Counters Mark Guibert, a vice president at RIM, "There's never a
guarantee on any network," he says. "But I'm confident that our performance
will be good relative to any other services."

Two of RIM's staple BlackBerry models, the 957 and 857, are still
manufactured to work on the older network. (Those models are used by
members of Congress.) In addition, a small RIM competitor, Good Technology,
is manufacturing new gadgets, including a hand-held called the G100 that
uses the older network because of its reputation for reliability.

Technology firms are racing to offer more options for crisis
communications. Upoc, an Internet firm, offers a service that delivers
Federal Bureau of Investigation and Homeland Security updates straight to
your cellphone. Microsoft is set to launch a new line of "smart"
wrist-watches that could receive news and possibly terror alerts over FM
radio spectrum. Even the U.S. Senate is weighing implementing a new
emergency alert system: One proposal would turn your TV on in the middle of
the night if an attack occurred.

'People Are Jittery'

A few weeks ago, Arthur Heimbold, a retired Washington, D.C., business
executive, was alarmed by the smell of burning gas wafting through his
Georgetown neighborhood. A neighbor called him in a panic. "We're within a
mile of the White House," said Mr. Heimbold. "People here are jittery."

But within minutes, the neighborhood's new community alert system sent
residents a text-message bulletin: "DC Fire reports two manhole fires on M
Street," it read.

Write to Jane Spencer at
[email-masked]

Connecting in a Crisis

A look at how some popular communications gadgets might perform in an
emergency.

GADGET

PRICE

DESCRIPTION

COMMENT

Nextel
i90c Special Edition

$249.99

Phone comes pre-programmed with emergency software
programs like a first-aid guide. Nextel's "DirectConnect" feature lets you
use the phone like a walkie talkie with other Nextel
customers.

If cellphone networks jam, the two-way radio feature
could be useful because it bypasses the public phone system.

BlackBerry 6710

$400-500

Combines a cellphone, e-mail and organizer into a single
gadget. The device works on T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless networks.
Can be used in Europe.

Like most of RIM's new BlackBerry phone models, this one
works on the same networks as cellphones. That means gadgets might jam if
networks overload.

T-Mobile Motorola C332

$99.99

Phones can send AOL Instant Messenger, which means users
can interface with computer users.

T-Mobile offers shared "FamilyTime" with up to five
phones on the same network.

Nokia 1260

$99.99

A basic phone model that can make calls and send text
messages. Available through AT&T Wireless

You don't need a pricey phone: virtually all phones made
since the late '90s can send text messages. These might go through even
when voice calls don't.

RIM BlackBerry 950

$249

A classic handheld device with e-mail, calendar and
wireless Internet. Operates on an older network, called Mobitex, that
performed well on Sept. 11

While the latest BlackBerry designs work on regular
cellphone networks, some models, like this one, still use a data-only
network. Other reliable models include the 850, 857 and 957 models.

Good Technology G100

$399

A BlackBerry competitor that also works on the highly
reliable Mobitex network.

The Mobitex network is available only in the U.S. The
District of Columbia government officials use the G100.

Back to top.

Updated March 20, 2003 1:41 a.m.

Sponsored by

Return To Top

Corrections
Contact Us
Help
About Dow Jones
Mobile Devices

Account Information
Privacy Policy
Subscriber Agreement

Copyright © 2003    Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

Copyright and reprint information.