Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Signs US$69 Million Contract to Provide Hong Kong Police with Integrated Command and Control Communications System

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:40:12 -0500

Motorola Signs US$69 Million Contract to Provide Hong Kong Police with Integrated Command
and Control Communications System

Motorola selected to provide one of Asia’s most advanced integrated police communications
system to date

HONG KONG, March 27, 2003 - Motorola (NYSE:MOT), a global leader in providing integrated
communications solutions, systems and networking services to police forces around the
world, proudly signed a US$69 million (HK$540 million) contract today with Hong Kong
Police. The contract includes nine years of maintenance service, and will provide the
Force with its third-generation Command and Control Communications system, known as CC3.

The deal signed today in Hong Kong will provide the force known as Asia’s Finest with one
of Asia’s most advanced integrated command and control communications system based on the
TETRA digital trunked radio standard.

“This is both a new start and a continuation for Motorola and Hong Kong Police. In 1990,
we delivered the current integrated communications system that CC3 will upgrade. We are
proud to continue our relationship by delivering one of Asia’s most advanced and
sophisticated command and control communications system at a time when security is an
issue around the world,” said John Cryer, director of business development for Motorola’s
Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector.

“An advanced system of this kind is a necessity, not a luxury, especially in these
security-conscious times. We need a system that allows Hong Kong Police to respond
appropriately and make more efficient use of current manpower in the field. Our history of
working with Motorola provides an added comfort level so that we can serve the public
better,” said Senior Assistant Commissioner of Police Peter Yam.

Benefits to Hong Kong Police and the People of Hong Kong
Motorola’s CC3 Solution will provide Hong Kong Police with:

• Sophisticated command and control technologies for decision support.

• Enhanced operational efficiency with Global Positioning System (GPS) tracking
capabilities.

• Wireless data applications for the empowerment of officers in the field.
• A secure and reliable communications system.

CC3 at a Glance
Motorola has designed a system with the high performance and reliability needed to meet
the stringent performance requirements of Hong Kong Police.

Fundamentally, CC3 will consist of four sub-systems:

• The Integrated Communications System (ICS) is a police communications system based on
TETRA, a digital trunked radio standard that provides increased efficiency and enhanced
security.  TETRA, which was developed by the European Telecommunications Standards
Institute, has been adopted as the private digital trunking standard by China’s Ministry
of Information Industry. A key benefit is that the ICS will allow voice and data to be
transmitted on the same network and allow more users in a 25KHz frequency bandwidth.

• The 999 emergency telephone system, provided in conjunction with PCCW, has advanced call
taking features such as Automatic Caller Line and Address Identification which will
enhance call-taking efficiency. It will have the ability to take caller information as
well as display the caller’s address and phone number. It will integrate with the entire
system to ensure that such information is at a dispatcher’s fingertips.

• A Mobile Computing System (MCS) will allow officers to access necessary information from
their mobile data terminals. CC3 will provide the platform which allows officers to send
and receive text messages containing important data such as suspects’ names, addresses,
and eventually, even photographic images.

• An Automatic Vehicle Location System (AVLS) and a Geographic Information System (GIS)
which will allow dispatchers to more quickly and accurately identify the location of
emergency incidents and police resources. CC3 will employ Global Positioning Technology to
provide the location of police vehicles capable of responding to a particular emergency
call. Dispatchers will have access to the information on electronic maps that will allow
them to visually assess resources and manpower and deploy those resources more
efficiently.

The four sub-systems will require a high level of integration with each other and with
existing police systems, and Motorola’s proven expertise in systems integration was
selected by Hong Kong Police to provide a seamless and effective total solution.

Summary

In these security conscious times, the Hong Kong Police has shown the foresight to invest
in a system that will enable it to maximize the effectiveness of its response to
incidents, with the aim of improving public safety. Motorola’s experience, its technology
leadership and its integrity in delivering similar systems on-time and on-budget will
provide the people of Hong Kong with a critical link to police. This system is planned to
be the best in the world.

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2575_2105_23,00.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/