Subject: [NEXTEL-1] School Airwaves Would Be For Sale In FCC Proposal

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 06:52:30 -0500

Here we go again! Is the nothing the FCC won't sell?
Instead of selling everything under the sun the FCC should be driving spectral efficiency.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Federal regulators are considering allowing schools to sell prime airwaves they were
granted decades ago for educational broadcasting. The proposal before the FCC is one part
of a plan to make better use of valuable spectrum that in many communities has languished
even as cell phones, wireless networks, and wireless data clog the airwaves. But it raises
questions about whether educators will forever lose a valuable resource in the wireless
age. At issue is the management of 190 MHz of airwaves, or about 10 MHz more than is
currently allotted for cell phones. The spectrum is in the middle of one of the most
desirable spectrum "neighborhoods," accommodating a wide variety of wireless and
broadcasting services

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG