Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Vodafone to make cell tower RF emission levels available to the public

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 06:33:12 -0500

Posted to the site on 24-Mar-03
Vodafone to make cell tower RF emission levels available to the public

Vodafone Malta is now providing the emission rates from its cell phone towers at selected
locations. Through Progett Gardjola the public will be able to monitor Radio Frequency
(RF) radiation levels in different localities in Malta and Gozo in quasi-real time.
Vodafone Malta has allocated 10 electro-magnetic radiation probes to be used in this
project. Electro-magnetic radiation probes measure radio frequency field levels emitted
within the 100kHz - 3 GHz range including TV, radio and GSM transmissions. These probes
have been installed in different locations across the Maltese islands.

The readings from each probe will be downloaded daily to the web server situated at the
University of Malta, which will then display readings on the Communications and Computer
Engineering Department's website - http://gardjola.eng.um.edu.mt/emr/. These readings are
reproduced in graphs. In each graph one can view the emission readings for the selected
probe as well as the maximum allowable emission levels set by ICNIRP (International
Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection) which have been adopted by the Maltese
authorities.

The first two probes, located in Birkirkara are already operating and readings have
already been forthcoming from both probes. Other probes have been installed at the
University of Malta, Naxxar, Rabat, Ibragg, St. Julians, St. Lucia. In future the
electro-magnetic radiation probes will be used in localities where there is public concern
about health issues.

"Vodafone Group has committed 7 million Euros to research the effects of radio frequency
fields on health. The company is aware that the increasing popularity of mobile phones and
the need to increase the number of base stations for the provision of a better service has
focused public concern over related health issues. This investment in research by the
Group, which also includes Malta, reflects the fact that Vodafone takes its social
responsibility very seriously," said Vodafone Malta's Managing Director, Mr Joseph C.
Grioli.

The International Commission on Non-Ionising Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) has published
guidelines for limiting public exposure to Radio Frequency energy. These are defined as
the power absorbed per kilogram of body mass and are called the Specific Absorption Rate
(SAR). The recommended limit is of 0.08 watts per kilogram (i.e. 41.2 V/m). This is a very
small amount when compared to the heat normally produced by a 50-kilogram person at rest:
which is about 50 watts, i.e. 1 watt per kilogram. In addition, the guidelines also
recommend partial body peak SAR limits. For example, the head only limit is 2 watts per
kilogram. So even low power handsets that inherently meet the whole body criteria also
have to meet the peak SAR limits to restrict possible localised heating. The power emitted
by base stations is 50 watts, this is very low when compared to the 100,000 watts emitted
by an average television transmitter.

Vodafone's Progett Gardjola will keep a look out on RF field levels, not only those
generated by Vodafone, but also from other mobile networks and transmission sources, and
ensure that they are well below even the accepted standards.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/