Subject: [NEXTEL-1] McDonald's to Offer High-Speed Internet Access in NYC

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:53:19 -0500

McDonald's Corp. , under an agreement with Intel Corp. , said it will
provide high-speed wireless Internet access in 10 of its Manhattan
restaurants.

 Financial terms of the deal, which confirmed a report in Tuesday's Wall
Street Journal, weren't disclosed.

McDonald's and Intel said the agreement coincides with the launch of the
Intel Centrino mobile technology for notebook PCs that feature built-in
wireless capability. Centrino is a bundle of three chips that bring
computing power, longer battery life and wireless connections to
portable computers.

The co-marketing agreement between the Oak Brook, Ill.-based fast-food
chain and the Santa Clara, Calif.-based chip maker will include
advertising, in-store merchandising and a signage program that
identifies where Intel-verified wireless Internet zones are located.

For the next three months, McDonald's said New York City customers with
wireless-enabled laptops who purchase an Extra Value Meal at
participating restaurants will receive one hour of free high-speed
wireless Internet access. Customers also can purchase a single session
of up to 60 minutes for $3. McDonald's is offering an open network for
all wireless users, so customers don't have to set up an account.

McDonald's said it is scheduled to expand the high-speed wireless access
to hundreds of restaurants in New York City, Chicago and a major market
in California by the end of the year.

Intel plans to spend more than $300 million to build the Centrino brand,
including a flood of television ads based on the theme "unwire," the
Journal reported.

Separately, Intel and Borders Group Inc. (NYSE:BGP - News) announced an
agreement to jointly promote wireless connections, or hotspots, in 400
Borders stores in the U.S. The terms of that agreement weren't
disclosed.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/