Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Annapolis Accepts New Motorola Mobile Data System for Police

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:30:57 -0500

Annapolis Accepts New Motorola Mobile Data System for Police
Tuesday March 18, 8:01 am ET

In-vehicle System Improves Efficiency, Enhances Officer
Safety

SCHAUMBURG, Ill., March 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The City of Annapolis, Md.
Police Department today accepted a new $330,000 Motorola (NYSE: MOT - News)
mobile data system for patrol vehicles that provides front line officers a broad range of
data communications capabilities right from their vehicles in the field. The department's
new Premier MDC(TM) wireless data solution software, MW520 mobile data terminals
and Airmobile(TM) software are part of Motorola's extensive portfolio of integrated
communications and information solutions to address mission-critical public safety and
security requirements worldwide.

"The capabilities of this mobile data
solution will enhance the safety of
our officers while out on patrol, as
well as improve their efficiency in
handling routine and emergency
matters," said Sgt. Brian Della,
project manager, Annapolis Police
Department. "It enables officers to do
more work on their own by providing
them with vital, real-time information
they didn't have before."

Using the Premier MDC software,
police officers in the field can access
state databases directly, eliminating
the time preciously needed to
contact the dispatcher and wait for
query results. They can also
communicate securely using the equipment's encryption capabilities when requesting
information from state and local databases. Airmobile software provides for the wireless
transfer of large data files and system updates to the terminals in the vehicles.

"In situations where every second counts, this is an enormous benefit," said Della. For
example, by accessing a state database, an officer can quickly learn if a car found
parked illegally is a stolen vehicle, and prepare himself appropriately.

Being able to use this technology also will have an impact on other services provided
by the department, said Della.

"During the recent record snows, we made every effort to locate the owners of cars
found abandoned on the road that we needed to tow," said Della. "This was a very
time-consuming process because we had to radio in each license plate number through
the dispatcher and wait for the information. With our new wireless solution, we'll be able

to access the data instantly, right from our vehicle."

Annapolis, the state capital and home of the U.S. Naval Academy, also is home to
40,000 citizens, and more than 100,000 people work in the city each day.

"We chose to work with Motorola because of its proven track record with two-way
radios, already used extensively in the area," said Della. "The company also took a
comprehensive approach by offering project management, design, installation and
implementation of the system."

The wireless solution is installed in 20 patrol vehicles, with another five to 10 vehicles
to
be equipped each year thereafter. Wilmers Communications, the local Motorola
authorized dealer, is handling programming and installation of the MW520 mobile data
terminals.

"Motorola's sophisticated mobile data solution puts the latest communications
technologies right at the officer's fingertips, giving them a tool in the field to better
cope
with increasing safety and security issues," said Mark Moon, Motorola Communications
& Electronics, Inc. vice president and general manager of the Southern Division.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030318/cgtu006_1.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/