Subject: RE: Revising the Spec (was :Re: [mobile-ip] FMIPv6: Sending FBU f rom the new link)

From: "Mohamed Khalil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:23:27 -0600

Hi Jim,

I don't agree with you that we should rethink the whole approach because
there are some issues need to be resolved yet. I believe that the current
approach has a lot of good design thoughts which will be included,
eventually, in any rethinking process. But, I agree that we need to enhance
the current approach if there are good ideas as a feedback from others. I
think that is the main purpose of this mailing list.

-Mohamed

-----Original Message-----
From: James Kempf [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 1:47 PM
To: Rajeev Koodli
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Revising the Spec (was :Re: [mobile-ip] FMIPv6: Sending FBU from
the new link)

> I would like to emphasize an important point here. When we propose a 
> change, it is not meant to overhaul a design resulting from many 
> months of discusssion and effort. It is virtually impossible to make 
> forward progress that way. I request all interested folks to please 
> keep this mind when you contribute. We ought to recognize that the 
> current version is a reflection of what WG folks (roughly) think, and 
> build  on top of that.
>

Sorry, I disagree with this.

The current design is kind of like an archeological site. One can see the
layers of old decisions: design team, previous editors, etc. I think we need
to rethink the approach based on new information (for example, Pete's draft
on 802.11, Pekka's and my draft on architecture, etc.) which unifies the
design around a few common agreed upon principles.

            jak