Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CommWorks and Togabi To Deliver Real-Time Wireless Voice over Internet Protocol -VoIP- Applications

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:14:00 -0500

( BW)(IL-COMMWORKS-2)(COMS) CommWorks and Togabi To Deliver Real-Time Wireless Voice over
Internet Protocol -VoIP- Applications

Business Editors
CTIA Wireless 2003

NEW ORLEANS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 17, 2003--

Push-to-Talk and Voice Instant Messaging Services Enable Wireless Carriers to Generate New
Revenue Streams and Reduce Customer Churn

CommWorks, a 3Com Company (Nasdaq:COMS), and Togabi Technologies today announced their
mutual agreement whereby CommWorks will resell and enhance its packet wireless voice and
data products with Togabi's PacketCHAT(TM) real-time wireless communications platform.
Under terms of the agreement, CommWorks will provide wireless carriers with push-to-talk
(PTT) and voice instant messaging capabilities for their enterprise and consumer
customers.
PTT provides wireless operators with a completely new means of allowing subscribers to
connect with others. It is an attractive option for instant voice communication,
complementing present dialed voice services. PTT's immediate type of communications can
reach individuals or groups and it can also be used to enable direct voice communication
with other information management system (IMS)-based services, such as interactive gaming.

PacketCHAT, Togabi's wireless client software component, extends CommWorks' product reach
into a wireless user's handset by offering a highly optimized, standards-based,
client/server solution that generates more revenue for a carrier's packet-based network.
Togabi's end-to-end PacketCHAT platform utilizes both patented and patent-pending
technologies developed exclusively to optimize available network bandwidth and maintain a
high-quality user experience for "real time" Internet Protocol (IP)-based voice
communications.
Built upon an industry-standard Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and Real Time Protocol
(RTP) foundation, Togabi's commercially proven packet loss recovery, flow control, and
compression techniques operate with high availability within challenging radio frequency
(RF) and network environments.
For push-to-talk applications, Togabi's expertise in mitigating the inherent transport
limitations in Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) applications, while managing
simultaneous messaging during call sessions, elevates the network operator's service
quality. PacketCHAT client software has been ported to numerous commercial wireless
handsets and devices, and the server component has been certified on multiple brands of
off-the-shelf, NEBS III-compliant servers for integration into the wireless carrier's
network.
"Mobile operators are seeking new, revenue-generating services for their 2.5G and 3G
networks, and PTT is at the top of nearly every operators' agenda, both U.S. and
internationally," said Mark Lowenstein, noted wireless analyst and managing director of
Mobile Ecosystems. "Our view is that newly-positioned, real-time, voice-centric wireless
offerings that take advantage of standards such as IP, RTP and SIP will be among the
applications for packet data networks for the foreseeable future."
Togabi has demonstrated seamless compatibility with CommWorks Total Control(R) 1000 Packet
Data Serving Node (PDSN). The PacketCHAT solution from Togabi and CommWorks enables a
lucrative business model for wireless operators worldwide and facilitates fast rollout of
standards-based, real-time IP and SIP voice and data services. CommWorks provides the core
data networking technology in major code division multiple access (CDMA) networks deployed
in 16 countries on five continents. CommWorks' technology allows CDMA wireless service
providers to offer high-speed access to the mobile Internet and to private intranets,
empowering mobile users with new and faster ways to work, live and communicate.
"CommWorks' extensive product portfolio is ideally positioned to monetize for the carrier
an entirely new suite of real-time wireless applications built upon their extensive
network investments," said Taher Behbehani, vice president and general manager of the
wireless solutions business unit for CommWorks. "Togabi's end-to-end PacketCHAT solution
obtains even greater value for CommWorks-enabled networks by deriving new sources of
subscriber revenue with minor infrastructure changes."
"Aligning ourselves with CommWorks, a proven industry leader in wireless voice over IP and
data services for CDMA networks, is an outstanding technical and go-to-market fit for
Togabi," said Mark Handzel, president and CEO of Togabi. "Particularly for our advanced
push-to-talk application, CommWorks' extensive, critically-placed footprint in nearly
every CDMA carrier will enable a new level of innovative performance enhancements that
operators are demanding."
CommWorks and Togabi are demonstrating this solution at booth no. 5565, Hall F, at the
Cellular Telecommunications Internet Association's Wireless 2003 from today (March 17,
2003) through Wednesday (March 19, 2003) at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New
Orleans.

About CommWorks

CommWorks, a 3Com Company (Nasdaq:COMS), supplies network service providers around the
world with access infrastructures and IP services platforms that open new business
opportunities and help them establish unique positions in a competitive marketplace. With
flexible multi-service hardware platforms and modular software components, the
comprehensive CommWorks architecture makes it possible for service providers to integrate
their existing infrastructures with innovative technologies to deliver an array of
next-generation IP-based enhanced services to their customers. For further information,
visit www.commworks.com.

About 3Com Corporation

3Com is a tier-one provider of innovative, practical and high-value networking products
for enterprise customers. 3Com is also a leader in Internet protocol (IP) service
platforms and access infrastructure for the network service provider market. For further
information, please visit www.3com.com, or the press site www.3com.com/pressbox.

About Togabi

Togabi Technologies is a leading software infrastructure provider of multi-modal, instant
wireless solutions, including push-to-talk (PTT), voice instant messaging and wireless
'chat' that support all packet-based "always on" networks. Leveraging its standards-based
Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) wireless client and carrier-grade server platform -
PacketCHAT - with 2.5G and 3G networks deployed today, Togabi offers regional, national,
or global network operators a spectrum-smart, low-latency, instant communications solution
for time-critical voice and data applications. For further information, visit
http://www.togabi.com.

3Com and CommWorks are registered trademarks and the CommWorks logo is a trademark of 3Com
Corporation. Togabi is a trademark of Togabi Technologies, Inc.

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/cb_headline.cgi?&story_file=bw.031703/230765626&directory=/altavista&header_file=header.htm&footer_file=

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/