Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Huge FCC News - 866 Mhz

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 07:47:00 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Huge FCC News - 866 Mhz

With the swipe of the pen, the FCC has doubled the number of channels
available at 866-869 Mhz.

STATE OF FLORIDA.   Granted Requests for Waiver of the Commission's
Rules to Permit Licensing of Stations in 800 MHz Public Safety Category
on Non-Standard Channel Centers. Action by: Chief, Public Safety and
Private Wireless Division, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau. Adopted:
03/07/2003 by MO&O. (DA No. 03-752). WTB
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-752A1.doc>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-752A1.pdf>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-752A1.txt>

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:49:39 EST

I think that Peter really meant 851-860 MHz (and not the NPSPAC Pool), and 
that's why I answered the way I did.  But, the number of waivers to do this 
goes even further, as I'm aware of a few others.  This waiver is fairly easy 
if you are the licensee on both sides (i.e. the main channels) or have the 
consent of those impacted (and it's not entirely impossible even when you 
don't).  What made the State of Florida's different is that, while the State 
was the incumbent licensee on both sides, these channels were subject to an 
overlay auction, and therefore the interests of the EA licensee (Nextel here) 
were impacted.  However, since Nextel wouldn't have been able to use the main 
channels (because of the State's incumbancy) the impact on Nextel was 
minimal, if at all.

Alan T.

In a message dated 3/14/2003 8:03:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email-masked] 
writes:

> >I guess that I misunderstood some earlier communications. I did not know 
> >that the FCC had approved your earlier waiver in SE Florida, versus this
> >new waiver in SW Florida. Apparently with "2 swipes of the pen" the FCC
> >has opened the 866 Mhz band wide open.
> 
> Not true, Peter.  The waivers are for the <866 portion of the band, 
> which is NOT set up on 12.5 kHz channels (except offsets in the border 
> regions).
> 
> The 866-869 spectrum is laid out already on 12.5 kHz centers, and subject
> to regional planning.  So there is no "open land grab opportunity" to be 
> had
> here.
> 
> Don