Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Communications

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:35:22 -0500

1) US Senate Scrutinizes Air Travel Database
Link to story from CNET News.com:
http://news.com.com/2100-1029-992572.html?tag=fd_top
Link to amendment:  http://wyden.senate.gov/leg_issues/amendments/capps_amendment.pdf
Link to news release from Senator Ron Wyden:
http://wyden.senate.gov/media/2003/03132003_capps.html
Traveler Screening Won't Invade Privacy
Link to Reuters story via CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/03/14/screening.privacy.reut/index.html
Will Airport Security Plan Fly?
Link to story from Wired News:
http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,58051,00.html

2) Europe Blocks US Intelligence Information On Airline Passengers
Link to story on Airwise:
http://news.airwise.com/stories/2003/03/1047641594.html
Link to news release from the European Parliament:
http://www2.europarl.eu.int/omk/sipade2?PUBREF=-//EP//TEXT+PRESS+DN-20030313-1+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN&L=EN&LEVEL=2&NAV=X&LSTDOC=N#SECTION3

3) Mass Washington Area Evacuation Viewed As Impractical
Link to article in The Washington Post (Washington, DC):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23200-2003Mar13.html

4) Transportation & Law Enforcement Agencies Stage Anti-Terrorism Drills
Link to story in the Los Angeles Daily News (Los Angeles, California):
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200%257E20954%257E1239745,00.html?search=filter

5) Transit Security Newsletter - March Issue Online
Link to newsletter from the Federal Transit Administration:
http://transit-safety.volpe.dot.gov/Security/newsletters/html/Vol35/Page1.asp

6) Communications Industry Considers Measures To Provide Service Continuity & Disaster
Recovery In The Event Of An
Attack
Link to news release from the Federal Communications Commission:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-232180A1.pdf

7) Hong Kong Railways Make Every Effort For Safety
Link to story from Xinhua News Agency:
http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=37301395&ID=cnniw&scategory=Transportation

8) AWOS (Automated Weather Observing System) - System Helps DOT, Pilots & Others
Link to article from Iowa Department of Transportation's Inside:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications/files/AWOS.pdf
Direct link to AWOS:  http://www.dotweatherview.com/

9) Survey Says Rubbernecking Number 1 Driver Distraction
Link to story from WRAL-TV (Raleigh, North Carolina):
http://www.wral.com/traffic/2039283/detail.html
Link to news release from Virginia Commonwealth University:
http://www.vcu.edu/uns/Releases/2003/march/030703b.html

10) Court Forbids 'Scraping' Of American Airlines Web Site
Link to story in Out-Law:
http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_id=courtforbidsscrap1047651981&area=news
Link to temporary injunction via Electronic Frontier Foundation:
http://www.eff.org/Cases/AA_v_Farechase/20030310_prelim_inj.pdf

11) Programming Glitch Blamed For Shutdown Of Japan's Air Traffic Control System
Link to Associated Press story via Global Sources:
http://www.globalsources.com/TNTLIST/2003/03/13/-----/8157-1602-AS-TEC--Japan-Airport..htm

12) Tiny Transactions, Without The Coins
Smart cards eliminate need for coins to pay rail and bus fares.
Link to article in The New York Times (New York, New York):
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/13/technology/13japa.html  (free registration required)

13) International Bridge Management Conference - April 28-30 - Orlando
Link to further information from the Transportation Research Board:
http://gulliver.trb.org/conferences/IBMC

14) TransITech Conference - May 27-29 - Pittsburgh
Link to further information from the American Public Transportation Association:
http://www.apta.com/meetings/trantech/index.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/