Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Equities in broad retreat; phones sink

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:37:13 -0500

Equities in broad retreat; phones sink

By Jeffry Bartash, CBS.MarketWatch.com
Last Update: 5:18 PM ET March 10, 2003

NEW YORK (CBS.MW) - Declines in industry bellwethers such as Alcatel, Nextel
Communications and
the Baby Bells highlighted a broad retreat among telecommunications issues in Monday
action.

At day end, the American Stock Exchange's Networking Index, which
represents large manufacturers, fell 3.0 percent.

All 15 stocks in the index decreased. Alcatel (ALA: news, chart, profile), off 5.9 percent
$6.55, was the top loser.

The Nasdaq Telecommunications Index, which tracks younger equipment manufacturers and
phone carriers, shed
2.8 percent. Seventeen of the top 20 stocks declined.

Nextel (NXTL: news, chart, profile) sagged 7.4 percent to $11.26, while Ericsson (ERICY:
news, chart, profile)
backtracked 6.5 percent to $5.65.

And big phone stocks, as measured by Standard & Poor's Communications Services Index, sank
a sharper 4.6
percent. Eleven of the 13 stocks headed lower.

SBC Communications (SBC: news, chart, profile) briefly touched a 52-week low of $19.20. It
ended down 5.6
percent to $19.35. Verizon (VZ: news, chart, profile) and BellSouth (BLS: news, chart,
profile) also fell around 4
percent each.

On the upside, Level 3 Communications (LVLT: news, chart, profile) added 10 cents to
$4.71.

Wireless stocks dipped despite news that Qualcomm (QCOM: news, chart, profile) a key
supplier of
wireless-phone technology, raised its forecast for shipments of chips used to power many
wireless phones. See
full story.

Nokia maintained its big lead in market share of wireless phones sold worldwide in 2002,
but the company did not
increase its lead, according to a report by industry researcher Gartner Dataquest.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/print_story.asp?print=1&guid={A14B787B-AC05-4141-9E43-1163305C7509}&siteid=yhoo

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/