Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mobile boom in Saudi Arabia under way

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:00:59 -0500

Mobile boom in Saudi Arabia under way
March 10 17:04:00, 2003

LONDON—Saudi Arabia is set for a boom in its mobile sector during the next few years, a
new report from the Arab
Advisors Group revealed. This upward trend is likely to make it the most lucrative part of
the Saudi communications
market.

With the privatization of Saudi Telecommunications Company (STC) and new competition due
to enter the GSM market in
just more than a year, the Arab Advisors Group predicted revenues will reach US$7.9
billion in 2007, up from US$3.4
billion last year.

“It is true that Saudi Arabia’s GSM market has belatedly boomed. However, a growth boom is
currently in full swing and
will continue throughout the forecast period,” commented Arab Advisors Group senior
analyst Shahin Shahin.

While revenues from fixed-line sales have remained relatively flat during the past few
years, the mobile market has seen
revenues increase by 41.1 percent on a compounded annual growth rate compared with the 6.5
percent of fixed lines.
The latter now makes up just 48 percent of total operating revenues.

The report also shows that growth in mobile adoption has “radically changed” the traffic
patterns in the Saudi market,
with the number of international calls made on mobiles between 1999 and 2001 growing by a
huge 305 percent.

http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=4543
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/