Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Criminal conviction for cell phone jammer

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 07:39:15 -0500

Criminal conviction for cell phone jammer

A Northampton, UK man who admitted selling and using illegal mobile phone jammers was
given a 12 month conditional discharge and ordered to pay US$8,245 towards prosecution
costs when he appeared before Northampton Magistrates on Tuesday 11 March. Seized
apparatus was also forfeited.

Glenn Jeffery Darien, 40, of Broadway, Northampton pleaded guilty to two charges of
supplying and using mobile phone jammers - illegal in the UK (and most other countries).

The prosecution by the Radiocommunications Agency followed an investigation by the Agency
during which a mobile phone jamming devise was purchased from a retail store, K-9
Electronics managed by Mr Darien. Tests on the device proved that it was effective at
inhibiting communications within its proximity and also capable of causing interference to
adjacent radio bands allocated for other use, such as fire, police and ambulance.

Use of of a mobile jammer in the UK is an offence of deliberate interference under section
13 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949. The Radiocommunications Agency, an Executive
Agency of the Department of Trade and Industry, is responsible for managing civil use of
the radio spectrum in the UK.

Posted to the site on 18-Mar-03

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/8496.shtml

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/