Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Craig McCaw- Snatches Chairman of RadioFrame Networks and Funds Wi-Fi Start-up

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:05:47 -0500

Craig McCaw- Snatches Chairman of RadioFrame Networks and Funds Wi-Fi Start-up
(Criag you are late to market save your money)
----------------------------------------------
Monday, March 10, 2003

Investors boost Bellevue Wi-Fi start-up
RovingIP.net targets wireless Internet link

By JOHN COOK
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

A Bellevue Wi-Fi start-up led by two former executives at McCaw Cellular
has landed an undisclosed amount of funding from Intel Capital, Ignition and
billionaire Craig McCaw.

RovingIP.net has yet to a land a customer. But the company -- which employs
fewer than 10 people -- has big plans for assisting in the adoption of Wi-Fi
technology.

Wi-Fi networks, which allow consumers to wirelessly link to the Internet at
airports, coffee shops, hotels and other businesses, have been growing in
popularity in recent months.

T-Mobile USA and Starbucks are setting up networks in more than 1,800
coffee shops across the country. Last week, T-Mobile installed Wi-Fi
technology at San Francisco International Airport.

RovingIP.net is working on technology that allows consumers to move
between various Wi-Fi networks without losing service, much like cell phone
users who roam between different service areas.

The company was founded in early 2001 by Rob Mechaley, the former chief
scientist at McCaw Cellular and chairman of RadioFrame Networks, and
Nick Kauser, the former chief technology officer at McCaw. While at
McCaw, Mechaley led the team that built the North American Cellular
Network.

That was the country's first cellular phone network that allowed users to roam
between different service providers.

Andy Bezaitis, president of RovingIP.net, said his company is trying to do the
same thing for Wi-Fi.

"If you think about the fact that there are a bunch of hot spots at coffee shops
and airports, all of these have to be interlinked," said Bezaitis. He said it is
easier for a third party company such as RovingIP.net to manage these links
than a service provider like T-Mobile.

RovingIP.net is not the only Wi-Fi start-up led by former McCaw executives.

Just last week, Bellevue-based Chameleon Technology announced a software
system that would help tie together disparate Wi-Fi networks. Chameleon is
led by Ken Arneson, the former chief information officer at McCaw Cellular.

Timothy Zenk, vice president of marketing at Chameleon, said it is natural that
so many former McCaw Cellular employees are flocking to Wi-Fi.

"There are a lot of parallels between the struggles that these wireless data
networks are going through today and what cellular networks were going
through in the 1980s," Zenk said.

-- http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/111751_roving10.shtml
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "meijin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:21:21 -0600

Marcel:

Late how? The Wi-Fi market in general? Still booming.

Mobility seamless roaming? Big market there for Wi-Fi. Lots of issues in being able to roam.

What was it that you ment?

Mike

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.462 / Virus Database: 261 - Release Date: 3/15/03

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:47:02 -0500

Ah this late............

Like a year..........
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Cellular, Wi-Fi Roaming System Launched

By Jay Wrolstad
Wireless NewsFactor
May 30, 2002
Seamless Switching

In the test, WiFi Metro will
integrate Green Packet's
SONaccess IP routers and
software with WiFi Metro's
system of LAN (local area
network) "hot spots," allowing
users to switch from one network
to another as they move in and
out of the respective coverage
areas, without having to log on
and off.

http://www.wirelessnewsfactor.com/perl/story/17995.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wi-Fi roaming comes to GSM

Roaming between mobile phone networks and Wi-Fi hot spots - together with a single
bill for both services - is the aim of new initiatives from HP and Juniper

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t458-s2129793,00.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
m-Travel.com

AT&T, Wayport enter Wi-Fi roaming partnership

AUSTIN, Texas — The aggressive expansion of wireless
services for travelers continues. Wayport and AT&T announced
today have joined to provide Wi-Fi wireless and wired
high-speed Internet access in more than 475 hotels and 10
airports in the United States. This roaming relationship
agreement will enable AT&T Wireless customers to roam onto
Wayport's neutral-host high-speed Wi-Fi wireless network
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The market is hot but they are in Start-up mode how long do you think it will take the to
have a product? 1yr 2yrs?????

Like said late to market......poor Craig.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:06:58 -0500

He should be looking to build devices for 5.8 Ghz band before it becomes saturated.
Roaming between the 5.8 Ghz (Unlicensed ISM & UNII Bands 2.4, 5.2  ) and the 5.9 Ghz (
intelligent transportation services) Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC) will be
themove for developers. You could potentially have one device to use at Home, Street or Car.

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
250 Free Business Cards - $85 Value
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ig9A1A/xbqFAA/yPdLAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->