Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mobile Data Zooms with New Bytemobile 2.0 Optimization Service Node

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:36:33 -0500

Mobile Data Zooms with New Bytemobile 2.0 Optimization Service Node

March 17, 2003 9:37am

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., March 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Bytemobile, Inc., the company dedicated to
enabling
pure, optimized access that vastly improves the mobile data user experience and operator
efficiency, today
introduced its 2.0 Optimization Service Node (OSN). The new carrier-grade platform offers
significant gains
over data performance on existing, unoptimized wireless networks and other access
types-such as dial-up
and ISDN-making web browsing and email data services truly usable and desirable.
Additionally,
Bytemobile's 2.0 Optimization Client will be available as part of this solution, offering
expanded functionality
to enterprise subscribers for dynamic optimization of Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes.

"Mobile operator growth hinges on a terrific
data experience, which means fast and
affordable access to messages, files, web
pages and multimedia files," said Steve
Livingston, Bytemobile executive vice president
of worldwide sales and marketing. "With our
2.0 OSN, operators can offer a DSL- like
experience over any wireless or wireline
network. When people see this performance, it
will surprise them. They will quickly see how
wireless access can be a substitute for the
other alternatives."

The 2.0 OSN employs Bytemobile's proprietary
Macara Dynamic Optimization Technology,
which comprises a suite of advanced
classification, data reduction and protocol
acceleration approaches that significantly
improve the remote and wireless data user
experience while optimizing existing radio spectrum and infrastructure resources. With the
2.0 OSN, data
and multimedia traffic flows much more quickly and smoothly across networks, and operators
can offer
more compelling mobile data services.

"When users can experience their data coming much more quickly, usage and adoption will
grow, thereby
increasing average revenue per user," said Jason Chapman, senior analyst with Gartner.
"And, when
speeds are comparable to those of dial-up and ISDN, operators can look not only to improve
their current
data services, but potentially to compete with some landline services."

Bytemobile's version 2.0 OSN is network agnostic and works with 1xRTT, GPRS, and 2G and 3G
networks.
The platform runs on Sun hardware for carrier- grade operation, is easy to deploy, and is
engineered with
open-API architecture, paving the way for operators to easily offer third-party value-
added services. The
Bytemobile OSN is also highly scalable; additional data capacity is easily deployed as
data adoption and
usage grows.

2.0 Optimization Client -- Personalizing Pure, Optimized Access Bytemobile has also
developed an optional
value-add Optimization Client to meet the demands for even greater performance,
flexibility and productivity
with consumer and corporate applications. With the Optimization Client installed on either
a laptop or
popular PDA platform, the end user can fully control the level of optimization settings to
reach the desired
relative data speed. The user can also selectively download original images, if needed.
The Client operates
seamlessly in the background, providing optimization without any user intervention. This
allows the user to
have as much or as little control over the access connection as desired.

In recent tests, the 2.0 OSN and Optimization Client displayed relative performance
improvements in an
optimized environment of 3-10X for web and email downloads and up to 25X improvement for
other large file
downloads compared to the same transfers on unoptimized networks.

"These tests show a compelling offering for both the enterprise and the consumer," said
David Nowicki,
senior director for product marketing and management at Bytemobile. "With the 2.0 OSN and
our
Bytemobile Optimization Client, the end user can have a DSL-like experience with the
devices they already
own over the networks they already use."

About Bytemobile

Bytemobile delivers on the promise of mobile data by enabling the way people really want
to work and play
in the wireless world.

Bytemobile solutions allow mobile operators, enterprises and other service providers to
significantly enrich
the user experience of current and future data networks. By making applications more
desirable and
valuable, Bytemobile customers can maximize returns on existing and future mobile network
investments.

Announced customers include Vodafone UK, Nextel Communications, Orange Denmark, Orange UK,

Sprint, and T-Mobile UK. The company is headquartered in Mountain View, California and has
offices in
East Sussex, England and Tokyo, Japan.

CONTACT:

Bytemobile:

Europe US

Anna Milborrow Jean Serra

Brodeur Worldwide Fitzgerald Communications

T: +44 (0) 20 7298 7042 T: 617 585 2262

F: +44 (0) 20 7298 7090 F: 617 488 9501

[email-masked] [email-masked]

http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?layout=query_displaynews&q=NEXTEL&so=&dc=&ro=&ed=&sd=&s=1&boldtext=NEXTEL&sym=&doc_id=NR200303171680.2_b4cd001df1d95b66

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/