Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wake County, State Highway Patrol Gets Funding For Communication Improvements Officials Say Upgraded Communications System Vital To State's Welfare

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:19:30 -0500

Todd or Rik,

What is VTN?  Is this another acronym for Trunking?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wake County, State Highway Patrol Gets Funding For Communication Improvements Officials
Say Upgraded Communications System Vital To State's Welfare

POSTED: 3:51 p.m. EST March 17, 2003
UPDATED: 1:09 p.m. EST March 18, 2003

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Wake County Public Safety Department and the
Highway Patrol announced a partnership as part of $2.5 million in
federal funding for communication technology improvements.

Wake County's Public Safety
Department will receive a $1 million
federal grant for communication
infrastructure improvements that will
enable the county's law enforcement
vehicles to use a wireless wideband
data system for communication.

The Highway Patrol, meanwhile, will
receive a $1.5-million grant to develop
and implement a Voice Trunking
Network (VTN), a real-time voice
communication system to be used statewide. The VTN system will enable
public safety officers to communicate efficiently, regardless of the frequencies
upon which their systems may otherwise operate. It will be available not only
for emergency purposes, but also for possible pre-disaster evacuations,
planning, and traffic management.

In many parts of North Carolina, the state Highway Patrol cannot talk from
car-to-car with other emergency responders like local police, fire and rescue
squads.

Six months ago, Roberto Campos forced his ex-girlfriend, Lourdes Guzman,
at gunpoint to drive all over the Triangle, through the northern counties and into
a deadly ending in Virginia. North Carolina troopers said they had no direct
radio contact with other agencies or with Virginia State Police as the chase
played out.

There is now a plan to tie all emergency agencies together with an
800-megahertz, real-time, wireless wideband data communication system.
Officials hope to have more powerful radios on special frequencies that all
emergency responders can hear.

"Those people where the rubber hits the road out there at the scene being able
to make the right kind of decision and sometimes when it had to come two-
and three-fold, sometimes the information gets lost in the process," said Col.
Richard Holden, commander of the state Highway Patrol.

As late as 2000, an area stretching from Burlington to Kinston was the only
part of North Carolina where all agencies could communicate. By June 2004,
officials hope to have agency-to-agency communications to run from Charlotte
to the coast, which will cover 80 percent of North Carolina's population.

"It's expensive. It's taken awhile. It's a surprise to many people that they can't
do this already, but we're going to build this system just as fast and efficiently
as we can," U.S. Rep. David Price said.

The federal government has approved $2.5 million for an upgraded
communication system. Emergency managers say with the emphasis on
homeland security, the upgraded communications system is vital to North
Carolina.

http://www.wral.com/traffic/2045364/detail.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:41:40 -0500

Sounds like journalist language for the SmartZone system that the NCHP is
building.

Rik Rasmussen
Communications Maintenance Administrator
City of Durham, NC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcel" <[email-masked]>
To: "WFHSG" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 9:19 AM
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wake County, State Highway Patrol Gets Funding For
Communication Improvements Officials Say Upgraded Communications System
Vital To State's Welfare

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:57:06 -0500

I thought so..........

> upon which their systems may otherwise operate.

Ok since we are speaking journalish I would translate the above to:

"wireless wideband data system for communication" = $1.5M for Some GPRS Data
cards & laptops.

"The VTN system will enable public safety officers to communicate efficiently, regardless
of the frequencies" = JPS patch panel

How far off am I?

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 17:03:28 -0500

Sounds like a good translation to me. Today, the use of the words "data" and
"network" and "wireless" tend to shake the grant pockets better than
"radio."

==========================================
Henrik "Rik" Rasmussen
Editor: Two Way Radio Directory:
The Two Way Radio Directory has links to hundreds of industry related web
pages.
The Directory Bookstore has a great selection of radio books at good
discounts.
Visit now at http://twowayradiodirectory.com/

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Marcel [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 9:57 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Wake County, State Highway Patrol Gets Funding
> For Communication Improvements Officials Say Upgraded Communications
> System Vital To State's Welfare
>
>
> I thought so..........
>

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 17:54:20 -0500

True, True

Don't forget the magic phrase "HOMELAND SECURITY"

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG