Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Telemetry services gaining steam Sprint pushing high-speed wireless

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:43:11 -0500

Telemetry services gaining steam Sprint pushing high-speed wireless

By Ephraim  Schwartz
March 28, 2003

With its 3G CDMA network achieving national coverage,
Sprint is beginning to flex its high-speed wireless muscle with
the launch of PCS Telemetry Services.

Telemetry allows companies to automate the uploading and
downloading of data from devices to host sites for analysis and to
take actions based on that data.

Last week, Sprint, based in Overland Park, Kansas ,
announced deals with American Trash Management for data collection
and analysis for recycling and odor control systems, as well as
with NCR which will deploy new wireless services for its banking
customers for their self-service ATM networks.

The Telemetry Services will include management tools to
allow companies access to the Sprint network in order to manage
their own business processes.

Sprint will also be working with Telemetry Solution
Providers to develop vertical applications for various industries.

One senior Gartner analyst said that machine to machine
communications is "the next thing after the Internet. It's the
SuperNet that brings contents from all machines together and makes
the Internet truly ubiquitous," said Ken Dulaney, at Gartner in
San Jose, Calif.

However, there are two road blocks to immediate deployment
of telemetry added Dulaney. Designers will need time, measured in
a number of years, to get telemetry services designed into
products and to be able to wrap programs and support around these
new services. Dulaney also noted that there are no standard bus
interfaces for all of the possible devices that might be linked
together.

Nevertheless, the Gartner analyst was enthusiastic about the
future of telemetry.

"There's work that needs to be done but it has enormous
potential, the growth is mind boggling," Dulaney said.

Sprint executives estimate that telemetry is a $1.8 billion
business in 03 and that it will grow to $8.2 billion by 2007.

Another company using telemetry technology to broaden its
offering is @Road, a wireless infrastructure supplier based in
Fremont, Calif. The company announced Exception Services for its
@Road GeoManager platform.

Combined with its GPS technology, @Road's Exception Services
will allow authorized users to set parameters and respond to
activities in the field when those parameters have been breached
or crossed, according to J. D. Fay, @Roads vice president of
corporate affairs.

With the integration of GPS into cell phones as required by
the FCCs e911 ruling, Fay also said its customers will save $360
per box, the previous charge for the GPS devices which were
supplied by @Road.

"We just load a small piece of software on a GPS-enabled
device and we work with CDPD, Motorola's iDEN. Upcoming GeoManager
will also work on the AT&T Wireless GPRS network and CDMA
networks," Fay said.

Pricing starts at $40 per month per device for GeoManager
Services which include Web-based access to maps, reports and tools
to manage a field force. Exception Service is an additional $10.95
per device.

http://www.idg.net/ic_1263840_9677_1-5045.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/