Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Vivato Unveils Outdoor Wi-Fi Switch

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:28:06 -0500

Vivato Unveils Outdoor Wi-Fi Switch

Vivato, a new Wi-Fi infrastructure company, launched the Vivato 2.4 GHz
Outdoor Wi-Fi Switch, the first Wi-Fi system designed for outdoor deployments.
Vivato's Wi-Fi switch provides businesses and service providers with a new
architecture for deploying 802.11 wireless local area networking. When mounted
on an adjacent building, the Vivato switch can penetrate exterior and interior
walls to provide Wi-Fi coverage throughout an entire structure. From a rooftop or
tower mount, the Vivato switch provides outdoor coverage for up to four
kilometers (about 2.5 miles), turning "hot spots" into "hot zones."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vivato Launches 802.11 Switch
03.17.03

NEW ORLEANS -- VivatoT, a new Wi-Fi infrastructure company, today launched the
Vivato 2.4 GHz Outdoor Wi-Fi Switch at CTIA 2003, the first Wi-Fi system designed for
outdoor deployments. Vivato's Wi-Fi switch provides enterprises and service
providers with a new architecture for deploying 802.11 wireless local area
networking. When mounted on an adjacent building, the Vivato switch can penetrate
exterior and interior walls to provide Wi-Fi coverage throughout an entire structure.
From a rooftop or tower mount, the Vivato switch provides outdoor coverage for up to
four kilometers, turning "hot spots" into "hot zones."

"The race is on to expand the Wi-Fi footprint in public areas," said Sarah Kim, analyst
of wireless/mobile technologies for the Yankee Group. ""Vivato's switching
technology for outdoor wireless networking deployments helps carriers and service
providers to meet the technical and economic challenges associated with
large-scale WLAN deployments."

The antenna system and switching electronics of the outdoor switch are integrated
into a single package, protected by a custom-designed enclosure that is
environmentally controlled with heat exchangers to maintain the proper thermal
environment for the electronics. The enclosure, which measures 1.18m x 1.01m x
14.08cm (WxHxD), effectively seals the antenna and electronics from outside air,
dust, rain, sleet, snow and wind.

Designed to support standard 802.11b Wi-Fi devices, the Vivato 2.4 GHz Outdoor
Wi-Fi Switch provides three simultaneous beams of Wi-Fi throughout the coverage
area. Its unique PacketSteeringT technology directs up to 33 Mbps of Wi-Fi capacity
to active clients through an electronically controlled phased array antenna that
creates high gain beams of Wi-Fi.

— Dan Jones, Senior Editor, Unstrung

http://www.Unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=29785&site=unstrung

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/