Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Lawmaker Wants Qualcomm Technology In Iraq

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:22:46 -0500

Lawmaker Wants Qualcomm Technology In Iraq
BY MARK ROCKWELL
MARCH 27, 2003

WASHINGTON -- A letter from a southern California lawmaker to the Defense
Department yesterday shows some wireless technology may be lumped with
'Freedom' fries, as the war with Iraq rolls on.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Cal., sent a letter to the U.S. Agency for International
Development (USAID) objecting to the armed forces' plans to deploy a wireless
telephone system in Iraq after the war. According to Issa, the plans call for the
use of GSM air-interface technology, and that is a problem. 'If European GSM
technology is deployed in Iraq, much of the equipment used to build the cell
phone system would be manufactured in France, Germany and elsewhere in
western and northern Europe. Furthermore, royalties would flow to French and
European sources, not U.S. patent holders,' he says.

Instead, Issa wants the agency to deploy CDMA technology, which was developed
by San Diego-based Qualcomm. He urged the agency to use
'American-developed' CDMA cell phone technology.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=5&pubdate=03/27/03

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/