Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mobiles: The Talk's About Data

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 16:37:37 -0500

Mobiles: The Talk's About Data

By Elisa Batista

Story location: http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,58084,00.html

02:00 AM Mar. 18, 2003 PT

NEW ORLEANS -- Despite a recession dogging the telecommunications sector, the
cellular-phone industry has grown into a
$76.5 billion business -- a 17 percent increase from last year, Cellular
Telecommunications & Internet Association CEO Tom
Wheeler told an audience here at the CTIA show.

The industry is developing at such a rapid rate that applications once considered
futuristic -- such as cell phones powered by
body heat and home appliances operated remotely by cell phone -- "are not too far off."

"This industry is far from the doldrums," said Wheeler, who warned that the biggest threat
to the industry's health could come
not from business forces but from government regulation.

As executives from Motorola, Nokia and LG Electronics noted in their question-and-answer
sessions on stage with Wheeler,
cell phones already do much more than make phone calls. They are sleek, converged devices
that let users check e-mail,
maintain personal calendars, work on Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations, take
pictures, download directions
and surf the Web.

Soon, cell phones will come with multiple radios that make it possible to use a handset
anywhere in the world. The phones will
also come with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi radio chips that let users retrieve information
wirelessly from a PC, printer or any other
device that uses the radios.

Bluetooth lets devices within 30 feet of each other communicate wirelessly. Wi-Fi, a
wider-range radio that is already installed
in places such as coffee shops and home offices, lets users within 100 feet of an access
point surf the Web wirelessly.

Tom Engibous, president and CEO of semiconductor-maker Texas Instruments presented a
prototype for a PDA that is
powered by a cellular high-speed general packet radio service (GPRS), Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Engibous said the chip's bulky
size, as well as its cost and power consumption will come down to the point that by the
end of next year, "we will see a
single-chip cell phone."

"The power challenge is the most significant," Engibous said.

But, he added, so much progress has been made on extending cell-phone battery life that
wireless devices being worn that "will
get energy from the heat of your body" are not too far off.

"We are in the initial stages" of developing such a device, he said.

LG Electronics, a manufacturer of consumer electronic products in South Korea, has already
launched its "home network" line
of products: refrigerators, washing machines, dryers, microwave ovens and flat-panel PC
monitors that can be remotely
controlled by either a PC or a mobile phone. To show off its wares, LG ran a video that
features a mother who starts her
laundry and begins cooking remotely by inputting information on her cell phone. She then
leaves a video message on the
computer monitor of the refrigerator welcoming her children home from school and letting
them know what's cooking.

John Koo, chairman and CEO of LG Electronics, said he expects such connected appliances to
arrive in U.S. households
shortly, although he didn't give an exact date.

"They are already being sold all over the world," Koo said.

Wheeler emphasized that this is an example of a cell phone being used in a way that "is
clearly beyond voice" communication.
He estimates that revenue from such non-voice services is poised to break a billion
dollars this year.

The trend of using the cell phone as a device for delivering data will largely be driven
by an increase in short text messaging
(SMS) over phones, Wheeler said.

SMS already makes up 15 percent of revenue for carriers abroad and has made inroads here
in the United States. In June
2001, only 30 million SMS messages were sent in the United States. In December, that
number exploded to more than 1 billion
messages, Wheeler said. All of the carriers are airing commercials with people sending SMS
messages to one another. AT&T
Wireless is promoting it heavily on the prime-time show American Idol by having viewers
choose their favorite singer by typing
into their phones.

"That is not the definition of a telecom funk," Wheeler said.

However, the industry's efforts could be hampered if the U.S. government regulates the
wireless industry as it has wired-line
telecommunications, Wheeler said. State public utilities commissions, for example, are
already treating the wireless industry like
traditional telephone companies by passing levying taxes for switches that cell-phone
users aren't using. Wheeler also feared
that the federal government was moving too slowly to distribute airwaves to the industry
so that it could build out its networks
and accommodate more customers.

Federal Communications Commission chairman Michael Powell and Rep. Billy Tauzin (R-La.)
both appeared to agree with
Wheeler that the markets, and not the government, should dictate what wireless services
consumers receive.

"Unfortunately, most state regulatory bodies are anxious to get back into the business of
regulatory telecommunications," Tauzin
said. "If it has to pre-approve every innovation, imagine how slowly it will take for
every innovation" to come to market.

Powell said he has already created a spectrum task force to look into what airwaves could
be dispersed to the industry.

"Spectrum is not scarce," he said. "The (available) spectrum was not being used
efficiently."

But Tauzin did offer Wheeler some advice in order to avoid more regulation: Have the
industry clean up its act. If it doesn't
want to be hit by legislation, it should improve cell-phone coverage, roll out enhanced
911 service in a timely fashion so that
anyone who dials 911 on a cell phone can get help immediately, and build a mechanism to
protect content from piracy over
wireless devices, he said.

Wheeler responded, "I think you laid an agenda for us in the next three years."

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/