Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Intel, PC Makers Launch Fleets of Laptops

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:45:53 -0500

Intel, PC Makers Launch Fleets of Laptops
Wed Mar 12, 4:34 PM ET

By JIM KRANE, AP Technology Writer

NEW YORK - Wielding $300 million in advertising cash and a new trio of
computer components it calls Centrino, chipmaker Intel Corp. on
Wednesday launched a huge effort to introduce the world to high-speed
wireless Internet.

Alongside Intel's announcement, PC makers
unwrapped scores of new laptops, most of which
use Intel's new wireless, or WiFi, chips.

Yet some PC vendors also minted laptops that
forgo Intel's wireless technology — and its
marketing help — in favor of WiFi chipsets that
transmit data even faster.

The Centrino design bundles Intel's
energy-efficient Pentium-M processor with a
high-speed wireless receiver and a set of other
laptop-friendly chips.

Intel believes Centrino's spread will trigger a wireless revolution, akin to the
1960s transformation heralded by the transistor radio.

That revolution gave folks "freedom to use the radio anytime, anywhere,
anyplace," Intel chief executive Craig Barrett said in a music video-fueled
spectacle in Manhattan's Hammerstein Ballroom. "That's what we intend to
do with Centrino technology."

Centrino is a made-up name that Intel thinks connotes scientific and fast.

PC makers used the event to announce dozens of new laptops that use the
Pentium-M processor. But some of the sleek machines from Dell,
Hewlett-Packard, NEC, IBM, Toshiba and others won't be marketed with
Intel's money — or the Centrino name — because they carry WiFi chips
from Broadcom, Agere or Atheros.

Some of those solutions allow Internet connections at five times the speed
of the Intel WiFi chipset.

"Intel has to show PC vendors that its wireless technology will evolve and
grow with the market," said analyst Tim Bajarin, president of Creative
Strategies.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030312/ap_on_hi_te/intel_wireless_blitz_1

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/abvVKB/pEZFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/