Subject: [NEXTEL-1] SiRF's GPS Technology Powers New-Generation Location-Based Services on Mobile Phones

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:20:39 -0500

SiRF's GPS Technology Powers New-Generation Location-Based Services on Mobile Phones

March 17, 2003 8:35am

CTIA Wireless 2003 Booth No. 4313 NEW ORLEANS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 17, 2003-- SiRF's
multimode location platform, SiRFLoc, enables a wide variety of commercial Location-Based
Services on
mobile phones, from personal navigation systems to mobile resource management applications

SiRF Technology, Inc. announced today that
its SiRFLoc™ multimode location platform is
at the heart of a wide variety of new
Location-Based Services (LBS), allowing
mobile phone users to determine their position
and take advantage of a variety of useful new
applications. These applications include
services such as turn-by-turn navigation,
mobile resource and logistics management,
and other enterprise LBS applications. SiRF
will be displaying its SiRFLoc multimode
technology this week in New Orleans at the
2003 CTIA Wireless conference (Booth #4313).

SiRFLoc Multimode is the first wireless
location platform that allows device users to
determine their position with or without network
aiding. Initially incorporated into cellular
phones to meet the FCC's E-911 emergency
calling mandate, SiRFLoc's unique location features are being rapidly adopted by
enterprises and
consumers for a wide variety of commercial LBS. SiRFLoc meets all the requirements of the
FCC mandate
for accuracy and location availability, but has the added advantage of being able to
function as an
independent, high sensitivity GPS receiver. This means that wireless devices with SiRFLoc
can
continuously navigate with new position fixes as frequently as once per second without
network aiding.

"Our goal is to work with manufacturers, carriers and application software companies to
drive the adoption of
Location-Based Services," according to Kanwar Chadha, founder and vice president of
business
development at SiRF Technology. "Wireless carriers and software companies are only
beginning to scratch
the surface of the potential for revenue generating location enabled applications. As the
market develops,
the variety of applications such as personal navigation, mobile commerce, workforce
management,
enterprise logistics and gaming will require location systems that go well beyond the
E-911 requirements.
The SiRFLoc multimode system is optimized to provide accurate and continuous positioning
in a bandwidth
efficient manner to enable these class of applications."

Since their recent introduction by Nextel, the SiRFLoc-enabled Motorola i88s and i58sr
cellular phone
platforms have been adopted for a wide variety of commercial LBS. SiRFLoc is the only GPS
provider for
location-enabled phones on the Nextel network. With these phones, Nextel brings the only
location aware
enterprise-strength wireless platform that can meet the needs of a variety of
applications. Most applications
take advantage of the ability to run Java based applications on these wireless phones.
Among these are the
following:

Avis Assist

Avis Rent A Car and Motorola, Inc. recently announced Avis Assist, allowing Avis customers
at the Dallas
Fort Worth Airport to rent a personal navigation service that operates on either the
Motorola i88s or i58sr
cellular phone operating on the Nextel network. The system provides spoken, turn-by-turn
directions. The
SiRFLoc location platform provides the continuous navigation and accuracy needed for
turn-by-turn
navigation.

Roto-Rooter Inc.

Roto-Rooter Inc., the largest provider of plumbing and drain cleaning services in North
America, will equip its
more than 1500 field technicians with a SiRFLoc-enabled Motorola i58sr phones to give
customers faster
dispatch and service versus conventional manual systems. Because SiRFLoc works with or
without network
aiding, Roto-Rooter can get a competitive advantage right now.

@Road Mobile Resource Management Services

@Road's new Pocket Edition Mobile Resource Management (MRM) Service is an enterprise
productivity
solution that combines the @Road service with the SiRFLoc-enabled Motorola i88s and i58sr
phones to
improve productivity of field operations across multiple industries. This service is
designed to help
companies not only improve productivity, but also to help ensure the safety and security
of mobile workers.

Televigation TeleNav

Televigation's TeleNav service gives voice activated turn-by-turn navigation on any
SiRFLoc enabled phone
on the Nextel network. This service is available for use by both enterprises, as well as
individual
consumers. SiRFLoc has the accuracy to tell users exactly when they approach a corner,
allowing a timely
voice prompt.

FutureRoads

FutureRoads Maps2ME and Directions2Me Java-based applications run on Motorola i88s and
i58sr wireless
phones to provide vehicle tracking, location-enabled content delivery and navigation.
These applications can
be downloaded directly from Nextel's Web site for immediate use on these SiRFLoc-enabled
phones.

About SiRFLoc

SiRFLoc Multimode allows networks to move beyond emergency assistance applications such as
the U.S.
E-911 requirement to support a wide range of LBS without excessive network bandwidth
requirements.
Compliant with worldwide wireless location standards, the SiRFLoc Multimode platform
operates in both
network-aided modes where information is provided from the network to aid in developing a
location; and in
autonomous modes in which the handset can continuously update position without network
assistance.
Hence, SiRFLoc Multimode delivers the maximum availability of position information with
the minimum need
for network bandwidth. With a distributed client-server architecture, the Multimode GPS
technology enables
users to control their privacy.

The SiRFLoc platform is being incorporated by some of the world's top consumer electronics
manufacturers
to develop wireless products that both meet the FCC's E-911 mandate and provide a platform
for future LBS.
SiRF's recent acquisition of the Enuvis Location Server (ELS) technology will complement
the SiRFLoc
Multimode platform by adding a proven, scalable server architecture as a network-side
platform for enabling
expanded location services.

About SiRF

SiRF Technology, Inc. is the leading provider of GPS enabled silicon and software location
platforms that
are designed to enable location awareness in high-volume mobile consumer devices and
commercial
applications. Location awareness refers to the ability of a device to determine and make
use of the
information regarding its location. SiRF's products enable a range of devices to utilize
GPS to detect
location. They have been integrated into mobile consumer devices, such as automobile
navigation systems,
cellular phones, GPS-based mobile computing peripherals and handheld GPS navigation
devices, as well as
into commercial applications, such as property tracking devices and fleet management
systems. SiRF
markets and sells its products in four target markets: wireless handheld, automotive,
mobile computing, and
embedded consumer applications.

Editor's notes:

SiRF, SiRFstar and the SiRF logo are registered trademarks of SiRF Technology, Inc.
SiRFLoc is a
trademark of SiRF Technology, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their
respective owners.

For additional information, please visit www.sirf.com.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/