Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC COMMISSIONER ABERNATHY GETS AN IN-DEPTH LOOK OF PUBLIC SAFETY COMMUNICATIONS DAILY OPERATIONS

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:55:42 -0500

For Immediate Release
Contact:  Courtney McCarron
386.322.2500
[email-masked]

FCC COMMISSIONER ABERNATHY GETS AN IN-DEPTH LOOK OF PUBLIC SAFETY
COMMUNICATIONS DAILY OPERATIONS

Commissioner Abernathy joined national and local officials and APCO
International representatives in a tour of the New Orleans Police Department
Communications Center

March 19, 2003, New Orleans, LA – Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
Commissioner Kathleen Abernathy visited the New Orleans Police Department
Communications Center, the largest Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) in
the area, with Associate Wireless Bureau Chief Catherine Seidel, APCO
International Immediate Past President Thera Bradshaw and Louisiana APCO
Chapter President Mark Boudreaux, yesterday morning.

Commissioner Abernathy, a premier supporter of public safety communications
and Wireless Enhanced 9-1-1 (E 9-1-1), took time out of her busy schedule
while attending the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association
Conference to make the visit.  Commissioner Abernathy was shown first hand
where public safety’s “first” first responders work everyday to protect life
and property and was witness to the complexity of a communications center.

“It is vitally important that our policy leaders see the line level
operations of public safety communications,” APCO Acting President Vincent
Stile said.  “This will undoubtedly give Commissioner Abernathy an
appreciation of the work she and the FCC do to enhance the delivery of 9-1-1
service to citizens of not only New Orleans, but the entire United States.”

The New Orleans Police Department Communications Center is currently Phase I
compliant under the FCC’s rulings and will be Phase II compliant by the end
of the month.  They are a prime example of how Commissioner Abernathy and
the FCC have made progressive steps in the public safety communications
community.  Commissioner Abernathy recently testified before the Senate
Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation Subcommittee on
Communications in support of the deployment of E 9-1-1 wireless services
throughout the United States.

“The New Orleans Parish PSAP visit today was an outstanding opportunity to
see first-hand Phase I E 9-1-1 implementation and a PSAP in the process of
upgrading to Phase II,” Commissioner Abernathy said.  “The success of the
New Orleans PSAP is a testament to the efforts of the New Orleans Parish in
cooperation with wireless carriers, LECs, the local government and the FCC.
We hope this type of progress can continue to be duplicated across the
country and such efforts will be the subject of the FCC's E911 coordination
initiative commencing on April 29, 2003.”

About APCO International
The Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials – International,
Inc. – is the world’s oldest and largest not-for-profit professional
organization dedicated to the enhancement of public safety communications.
With more than 16,000 members around the world, APCO International exists to
serve the people who manage, operate, maintain, and supply the
communications systems used to safeguard the lives and property of citizens
everywhere.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/