Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NOI - Interference Immunity for Receivers

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:57:04 -0500

Must be time for a sanity check here.  I spent some time looking over the
FCC's just-released NOI "Interference Immunity Performance Specifications
for Radio Receivers", ET Docket 03-65 (FCC 03-54).  Now, am I the only
individual who finds this document to be rather sophomoric?

What do we suppose would have happened if I had written an engineering
term paper that looked like this?  Suffice it to say that I wouldn't have
found myself being inducted into Alpha Chi.  This Notice Of Inquiry has
incorrect (or nonexistent) technical terminology in a couple of places,
and contains several policy contradictions as well.  That is, if I am not
reading it cross-eyed!

It is painfully obvious that this NOI was written by a non-technical
person, and it further appears that the bulk of personnel with input on
the subject had little technical background, either.  Will we ever stop
having lawyers crafting technological public policy?  This document
before me is a sorry example of what can happen when lawyers attempt to
bend the immutable laws of physics in the much the same manner that they
manage to bend the worldly statutes of humankind.  The end result could
well be worse than the sum of the compromises of which it is composed.

Or do I simply need a new prescription for my bifocals?

Alan Dixon
"The Washington Iconoclast"

[Please Note: I am fully aware that there are a number of lawyers on this
board who are substantially technically competent.  Some even hold any of
various classes of FCC radio operator license, for which one must pass an
examination on radio electronic theory.  These particular individuals
have earned my highest esteem.]

[Please copy replies to: [email-masked] <n3hoe[a]juno.com>]

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/