Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC TO LAUNCH E911 COORDINATION INITIATIVE

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 00:15:41 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:    NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
March 5, 2003                                   Robin Pence at 202-418-0505

FCC TO LAUNCH E911 COORDINATION INITIATIVE

First Meeting to Occur at Commission on April 29

Washington, D.C. -- FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell has announced that the Commission will
launch an Enhanced 911 (E911) Coordination Initiative, bringing together relevant
stakeholders to share experiences and devise strategies for expediting E911 deployment.
The Initiative will officially commence with a meeting held at the Commission on April 29,
2003.

As described by Commissioners Adelstein and Abernathy this morning during their testimony
before the Communications Subcommittee of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and
Transportation, the meeting will follow up on the findings and recommendations contained
in the Hatfield Report.  Dale Hatfield is an independent expert and Adjunct Professor in
the Department of Interdisciplinary Telecommunications at the University of Colorado at
Boulder commissioned by the FCC to examine technical and operational issues affecting E911
deployment.

“Wireless E911 deployment is an urgent priority deserving of the ever-increasing attention
of the Commission and Congress,” said Chairman Powell.  “My fellow Commissioners and I
look forward to playing a constructive role in facilitating communication between and
among the various parties tasked with making E911 deployment a reality.  It is our
responsibility to ensure that all wireless consumers have access to this lifesaving
technology – and the E911 Initiative we announce today is another step in that direction."

In addition, the meeting will address ongoing implementation issues such as Public Safety
Answering Point (PSAP) funding, wireless carrier implementation and prioritization, issues
relating to Local Exchange Carriers (LECs), and challenges faced by rural carriers.  Mr.
Hatfield plans to participate in this meeting, which will also include representatives
from the public safety community, wireless carriers, and other interested stakeholders.
This meeting will be the first in a series of coordination efforts to allow the Commission
to facilitate E911 deployment.

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-231787A1.pdf
- FCC -

Bureau Contact:  Lauren Kravetz Patrich, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau (202-418-7944,
[email-masked]).

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/