Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel and SmartCOP's Wireless Solutions Turn Law Enforcement Vehicles Into Mobile Command Posts

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:21:03 -0500

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030317/175587_1.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.

Nextel and SmartCOP's Wireless Solutions Turn Law Enforcement Vehicles Into Mobile Command Posts
Monday March 17, 10:14 am ET

Nextel Adds SmartMBL and SmartMCT to its Roster of Public Safety Applications

RESTON, Va. & PENSACOLA, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 17,
2003--Nextel Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) and SmartCOP, Inc, a
leader in developing integrated software for public safety agencies,
today launched two new data solutions, offering law enforcement
officers and other authorized personnel immediate wireless access to
the National Crime Information Center, and state and local law
enforcement databases.

ADVERTISEMENT

The first solution, SmartMBL provides critical law enforcement
data communications on Nextel J2ME phones, such as query capabilities,
messaging and email capabilities through handset-to-handset,
handset-to-car and handset-to-dispatch communications.

The second solution, SmartMCT provides access to data from laptops
with Nextel wireless modems or tethered phones in public safety
vehicles, including email, paging, records management systems, offense
reports, traffic crash reports, and field interviews.

Nextel leads the industry in providing its customers with Wireless
Solutions for Public Safety that increase the productivity of the
mobile workforce.

Public safety officials find the unique combination of Nextel
Direct Connect®, all digital-cellular service, data security,
messaging and application management services a powerful platform for
extending their reach and increasing communications control.

In addition to SmartMBL and SmartMCT, Nextel continues to work
with its vendor partners on additional wireless data applications
targeted specifically for the public safety community.

"SmartCOP's software on Nextel Java phones provides law
enforcement a greater degree of flexibility during complex
investigations. Law enforcement applications must keep pace with an
ever changing technological environment but remain easy to use from a
field user standpoint," said Major Michael Coup of the Okaloosa County
Sheriff's Office in Florida. "SmartCOP provides these tools which are
accurate, user friendly, and compatible with current platforms."

"With SmartMBL and SmartMCT available on our Java(TM)
technology-enabled handsets, public safety vehicles function as mobile
command posts where officers can wirelessly populate reports and
citations, conduct field interviews, and capture driver information -
saving time in the process," said Leon Frazier, Nextel's vice
president, public sector. "SmartCOP's applications are the newest
Wireless Solutions for Public Safety offered to Nextel's law
enforcement customers to increase productivity, streamline operations,
and enhance officer safety through the faster exchange of
information."

"Today, more than ever, immediate access to information is a
critical part of each law enforcement individual's day-to-day
activity", said Charley Vlcek, SmartCOP's Vice President of Business
Development and Chief Technology Officer. "SmartCOP's applications are
at the forefront of Information Technology for the Law Enforcement
world, providing a fully integrated solution aimed at assisting law
enforcement agencies in today's Homeland Security efforts at combating
terrorism locally and abroad. SmartCOP's SmartMBL application on a
Nextel phone literally puts much needed information in law
enforcements' hands when and where they need it."

SmartMBL runs on Nextel Java(TM) technology-enabled handsets,
while SmartMCT runs on Windows-based laptops network-connected through
tethered Nextel handsets or the iM1100 wireless modem. For more
information about service plans and pricing please contact your local
Nextel sales representative.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully-integrated wireless voice and data
communications services including Nextel Direct Connect® -- the
long-range digital walkie-talkie feature; high quality digital
cellular services; Nextel Online® wireless data content and business
solutions; and two-way messaging services.

Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc. have built the largest guaranteed
all-digital wireless network covering 197 of the top 200 U.S. markets.
Nextel's wireless voice and packet data communications services are
available today in areas of the U.S. where approximately 240 million
people live or work.

Nextel's wide range of services are available on the General
Services Administration Contract # GS07T03BGD0003 and are available to
all federal, state and local agencies, including education
institutions, utilizing federal funds.

About SmartCOP, Inc.

SmartCOP is an industry leader in developing integrated public
safety software solutions designed to share critical data at key
decision points in the justice system.

SmartCOP integrates the field experience of law enforcement with
the latest software engineering technologies to improve the quality of
information, the timely access to information and the sharing of
information between federal, state and local law enforcement agencies.

At a time when Homeland Security is foremost in the minds of
lawmakers and law enforcement officials alike, SmartCOP offers a
unique, integrated suite of software that puts real-time information
in the hands of first responders and administrators, giving them the
tools needed to combat terrorism, solve crimes, and ensure public
safety.

Contact:

Nextel Communications, Inc., Reston
Roni Singleton, 703/433-3109
[email-masked]
or
SmartCOP
Marty Durham, 850/436-5395
[email-masked]

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

AT&T Wireless. Get a FREE Nokia 3360 and plans from $19.99!!

·

Hide Your Tracks Download internetwasher.com only $79.95!

Low rates
Bet on ponies...or go to geico.com

·

Find Old Friends at Classmates.com

·

Fast Tax Refund! File online with TurboTax® For the WebSM

·

Make money with online auctions like eBay!

·

Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock

·

Get a fresh start with ClearCredit

·

Homeowner: Refinance to get cash even with imperfect credit. Apply Now

·

FREE 2-Room DIRECTV System & Installation

Related
Quote

NXTL

12.63

-0.02

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

Plotting a Bearish Path for the Dow - RealCommentary from TheStreet.com (8:18 am)

·

Nextel Director Conway Buys 100,000 Company Shares - Dow Jones Business News (Thu Mar 13)

·

RESEARCH ALERT - SG Cowen starts coverage of wireless cos - Reuters (Thu Mar 13)

·

[external] Equities in big rally; Comverse leads - at CBS MarketWatch (Thu Mar 13)

More...

·

By
industry:
Computers, Government, Law, Software, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Stocks Claw Higher, Erasing Early Losses - Reuters (10:10 am)

·

Wal-Mart, Federated Back Sales Views - Reuters (8:30 am)

·

Hot Stocks Highlights on Monday, March 17 - Reuters (9:56 am)

·

Spiegel Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy - Reuters (10:02 am)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.