Subject: [NEXTEL-1] News article - from eyeforauto

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:01:50 GMT

Proposed blanket ban includes many
types of hands-free kit - but not
all! Costly installed kits wired
into the car's speakers are okay.

[Please copy replies to:
[email-masked] ]

This e-mail has been sent from the http://www.eyeforauto.com website by Alan Dixon.
"Six million drivers face fines for using 'wrong type of hands-free device'" (3/31/2003)
Association of British Drivers responds to proposed Government ban on in-car

Telematics Update Upcoming Events 2003

Conference & Expo
Detroit, Apr 29-30

Gala Dinner
Detroit, Apr 29

2 day Conference
Gothenburg, June 4-5

Confusion surrounds proposed legislation to ban mobiles in-cars

Proposed blanket ban includes many types of hands-free kit - but not all!

UK Government threatens to take harder line than the rest of Europe*

Ban on mobile use applies even when car is stationary!

Up to six million drivers face fines of up to £1,000 for using 'wrong type of hands-free device'

New research shows headset is most popular hands-free device

Proposed law ignores risks caused by other in-car distractions

80% of the UK public say hands-free systems should not be banned

The Government is still considering responses to its consultation over
outlawing mobile phone use in vehicles. The Association of British Drivers
(ABD), in conjunction with JABRA, part of the GN Netcom group, has examined
the proposals carefully and cut through the confusion to expose serious
issues that threaten to make the legislation unworkable.

Previously unseen research** shows a proposed new law to ban in-car use of
hand-held mobile phones, will penalise many drivers who are already acting
responsibly by using a headset or ear?piece. The proposed law threatens to
ban many types of hands-free devices and will be impossible to enforce, says
the Association of British Drivers.

ABD Spokesman Nigel Humphries said: "JABRA's research shows the new law will
criminalise six million UK motorists who are using the 'wrong type of
hands-free kit'. This will achieve nothing but to bring the law into
disrepute and lead to widespread non compliance."

JABRA has presented the research to the Department for Transport (DfT),
pointing out that the proposed ban does not take into account the many
practical issues surrounding enforcement.

Motoring organisations and mobile phone companies are also campaigning
against the ban, which is likely to be introduced in 2003. The DfT is
currently considering responses to its consultation document which proposed
to make it an offence to use any hands-free kit, apart from costly installed
kits wired into the car's speakers. Although they are significantly more
expensive, there is no evidence to show that these kits are safer than
earpieces or headsets.

The UK ban will also include wireless Bluetooth headsets, widely predicted
to play a key role in hands-free mobile operation.

"Banning the best and most effective hands free technology is ridiculous,"
continues Humphries. "Convenience is the key to increasing hands free usage,
and Bluetooth scores heavily with no wires to plug in and easy transfer
between different cars. When Bluetooth becomes widespread nobody will ever
need to drive with a phone held to his or her ear again.

Hands-free kits are already widely used by UK motorists according to new
research from JABRA, the mobile brand owned by the GN Netcom Group. The
research shows that the headset or earpiece is the most popular device, used
by 19% of all drivers who make mobile calls from the car, compared to just
6% using a fully-installed in-car kit.

George Tennet, Vice President, Sales & Marketing, JABRA EMEA, said:

"We have told the Government that our main concern is that this law will
cause confusion amongst the majority of motorists who are already taking a
responsible attitude towards mobile phone use in the car. Our research
shows that 51% of drivers, who admit to using their phone in the car,
already use some kind of hands-free device.

The research commissioned by JABRA showed that 43% of the UK's drivers who
own a mobile currently admit to using their mobile in the car. That
represents around 16 million licensed drivers in the UK. Of these drivers,
51% use some type of hands-free device. George Tennet adds:

"Based on our research, we can reasonably estimate that around 6 million
drivers currently use a headset or earpiece device, compared to just over 2
million using an installed car-kit. We think the new law should
concentrate on the 8 million drivers who don't use any kind of hands-free
device and are most likely to put themselves and others at risk."

The Government estimates that 'approximately 100,000 fixed penalty notices
could be issued each year and about 5,000 prosecutions in courts as a result
of the creation of a new offence'. JABRA's figures suggest that this
calculation fails to take into account the scale of mobile phone use by the
UK's drivers. George Tennet explains:

"With limited resources to enforce a ban on mobile phone use, surely it
makes sense to concentrate on hand-held use. Those drivers trying to
negotiate a roundabout with one hand on the mobile and the other on the
steering wheel, represent a much bigger risk than motorists who ensure they
can keep both hands safely on the wheel by using a headset. We believe
education for drivers is the way forward, so that drivers are fully aware of
the risk."

Motorists have welcomed the ban on hand-held mobile use in the car, but the
majority believe that hands-free devices should be exempt from the ban.
One survey showed that 80% of the UK public felt that hands-free systems
should not be banned (source: PAMA). The AA has also criticised the
proposals as being 'over the top'.
ends

Notes To Editors

* While at least 14 countries in Europe have already introduced a ban on
hand-held mobile use in the car, only two - Spain & the Republic of
Ireland - have banned hands-free kits. The Republic of Ireland is now
reviewing its legislation, which has proved difficult to enforce.

**This research was commissioned by JABRA and conducted in Great Britain via
a telephone omnibus survey by Taylor Nelson Sofres plc. 561 car drivers who
have a mobile phone were interviewed which took place between 1st to the 3rd
of November 2002. The sample was weighted to represent the adult population
of Great Britain aged 16+.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.