Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Communications

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:28:01 -0500

1) Transportation Getting More Scrutiny
US DOT's Research and Special Programs Administration operates high-tech
communications center.
Link to Associated Press story via Newsday (Melville, New York):
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-transportation-security,0,1927503.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines

2) TSA Focus On Aviation Leaves Weak Spots
Local and state agencies, along with transportation industry have to patch together
security improvements for other systems.
Link to article in the Star-Telegram (Fort Worth, Texas):
http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/local/5462573.htm

3) How Safe Is Safe Enough?
US cargo carriers fear that proposed security regulations will hamper their business
without a corresponding increase in safety.
Link to article from Air Transport World:
http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=37555561&ID=cnniw&scategory=Transportation

4) New York MTA: Under-Trained For Terror?
Link to article in Newsday (Melville, New York):
http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/transportation/nyc-trans0323,0,4409650.story?coll=nyc%2Dmanheadlines%2Dtrans

5) Push For Safer Trains In Melbourne
More cameras to be added to stations.  Message boards with images of crimes to be
posted.
Link to article in The Age (Melbourne, Australia):
http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2003/03/22/1047749985798.htm

6) Upgrading The Maine Turnpike
Improvements to the electronic toll collection system is expected to decrease delays.
Link to article in Down East:
http://www.downeast.com/talk.html

7) Metro-North Drops Plans For Passenger Survey
Link to article in The Advocate (Stamford, Connecticut):
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local/scn-sa-survey4mar24,0,6378949.story

8) Articles From Current Issue Of Automotive News
-  Feelings, Nothing More Than Feelings - Haptics technology allows automakers to
program the feel of controls.
http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=42938
-  Technology's Worst Nightmare - Human factors engineer is concerned technology
inside cars may be a safety problem.
http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=42950
-  Who Needs The Net? - Some auto dealers are getting along just fine without the
Internet.
http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=42956  (free registration required)
-  Beaming To A Vehicle Near You: Satellite TV
http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=42925
(free registration required for articles)

9) Study Looks At New York Thruway Traffic Jams
Variable message signs, cameras, weather sensors being installed in the Capital
Region.
Link to story in the Times Union (Albany, New York):
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=117949&category=REGION&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=3/22/2003

10) US DOT Builds Security Dashboard
System will enable central command of agencywide IT defenses.
Link to article in Federal Computer Week:
http://www.fcw.com/supplements/homeland/2003/sup1/hom-trans-03-10-03.asp

11) New US DOT Web Site: Commuter Choice Primer - An Employer's Guide To
Implementing Effective Commuter
Choice Programs
Link to Web site:
http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/CommuterChoicePrimer/ccp/home.htm

12) Flagpoles: Red, White, Blue...And Orange?
Jefferson County fire stations fly colored flags to inform public of threat level.
Link to story from WLKY-TV (Louisville, Kentucky):
http://www.thelouisvillechannel.com/iraq/2060325/detail.html
Link to news release from the Jefferson County, Kentucky Fire Service:
http://www.jeffcofire.com/HotNews.htm

13) Shopping For Navigation Systems
With original-equipment and aftermarket in-dash navigation systems really catching on,
getting lost has never been so hard.
Link to article on The Car Connection:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5868

--
"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/