Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Sued For Violating The "No Call" List

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:48:51 -0500

Nextel Sued For Violating The "No Call" List
Let us see what they do now that the President is behind the "No Call" List
I wonder if they will call the White House?

Now we know why Nextel filed papers with the FTC opposing  telemarketing regulation.

"How Business Gets Done"-  We call you until you give in!
-------------------------------------------

Telephone Solicitors Face Lawsuits in Oklahoma

February 28, 2003 7:22pm

Feb. 28--One company agreed to pay $10,000 to the state, and four others were named in
lawsuits Thursday alleging they
violated Oklahoma's Telemarketer Restriction Act.

Attorney General Drew Edmondson said Mortgage Investors Corp. agreed to pay the fine and
subscribe to the state's no-call
list, which took effect Jan. 1. Edmondson filed a lawsuit against the Florida-based
company Feb. 10.

He filed lawsuits Thursday against Windows Only Inc., Nextel West Corp., DishDirect Inc.
and Echostar Communications Corp.
The lawsuits accuse the companies of contacting Oklahomans whose telephone numbers are
listed on the no-call list.

"In each case, we asked the court to permanently enjoin the companies from soliciting
Oklahoma consumers who have
registered with the don't call program," Edmondson said.

He also is asking the court to assess a civil penalty of up to $10,000 per violation as
state law allows.

Windows Only of Oklahoma City contacted 21 Oklahoma consumers who have registered
telephone numbers on the no-call
list, according to the lawsuit. The complaint was filed in Cleveland County District
Court.

Nextel West, of Reston, Va., is accused of contacting four consumers on the list.
Edmondson filed the complaint in Oklahoma
County District Court.

The lawsuits filed in Tulsa County District Court against DishDirect, of Carrollton,
Texas, and Echostar, of Bluefield, W.Va.,
alleged the companies each contacted at least 19 Oklahomans enrolled in the program.

Sen. Keith Leftwich, D-Oklahoma City, who was the principal author of the legislation
creating the program, said the law is
working as it was intended.

"Don't call means don't call, not don't call if you feel like it," Leftwich said. "This
isn't like jaywalking that maybe you can get
away with. This law will be enforced."

Oklahomans still can register for the no-call list or report violations of the law to the
attorney general's office, at 604-4665 in
Oklahoma City; (918) 584-4411 in Tulsa; (800) 390-5708 statewide or online at
www.oag.state.ok.us.

The next deadline for consumers to register for the list is Saturday. Edmondson said
registration will continue every quarter.
http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?layout=printnews&doc_id=NR200303011180.3_8c6900067db87d5c

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/