Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Paul Harvey: "America's Quiet Warriors"

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 12:01:05 -0500

Paul Harvey: "America's quiet warriors are involved in homeland security 
to a greater degree than you would want me to make public."

From: "ARRL Letter"
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003
Subject: The ARRL Letter, Vol 22, No 12

==>RADIO COMMENTATOR PAUL HARVEY PLUGS HAM RADIO'S EMERGENCY
COMMUNICATIONS ROLE

Veteran ABC Radio Networks commentator Paul Harvey this week offered some
kind words for Amateur Radio. The mention was the second item on "page
four" of his March 19 Paul Harvey Noon News and Comment program.

"America's quiet warriors are the legion of ham radio operators, 700,000
of them, who are always at ready for backup duty in emergencies--amateur,
unpaid, uncelebrated, civilian radio operators, during and after floods
and fires and tornadoes," Harvey said. "After the 9/11 attacks, hams were
indispensable in reuniting friends and families. Most recently it was
they
who expedited the search for debris after the disaster to the space
shuttle Columbia, and right now, at this moment, they are involved in
homeland security to a greater degree than you would want me to make
public."

The commentary's enigmatic and mysterious final sentence--typical of
Harvey's habit of leaving his listeners hanging--apparently refers to the
fact that many Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) and Radio Amateur
Emergency Service (RACES) teams have ramped up their alert status as
hostilities get under way in the Middle East.

The entire Wednesday noon broadcast is available on Paul Harvey's Web
site
<http://www.paulharvey.com/>. Click on the Wednesday noon link under
"Listen Now."

=====================
The ARRL Letter is published Fridays, 50 times each year, by the American
Radio Relay League--The National Association For Amateur Radio--225 Main
St, Newington, CT 06111; tel 860-594-0200; fax 860-594-0259;
<http://www.arrl.org>. Jim Haynie, W5JBP, President.

Material from The ARRL Letter may be republished or reproduced in whole
or
in part in any form without additional permission. Credit must be given
to
The ARRL Letter and The American Radio Relay League.

==>Editorial questions or comments: Rick Lindquist, N1RL, [email-masked]
==>ARRL News on the Web: <http://www.arrl.org>

The ARRL Letter also is available to all, free of charge, from these
sources:

* ARRLWeb <http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/>. (NOTE: The ARRL Letter will
be posted each Friday when it is distributed via e-mail.)

* The QTH.net listserver, thanks to volunteers from the Boston Amateur
Radio Club: Visit Mailing [email-masked]
<http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/letter-list>. (NOTE: The ARRL
cannot assist subscribers who receive The ARRL Letter via this
listserver.)

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/