Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Iraqi GPS jammers destroyed

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:33:26 -0500

Iraqi GPS jammers destroyed
March 25 13:03:00, 2003

CAMP AS SAYLIYAH, Qatar—GPS satellite technology, which enables location and navigation
products for civilians and
military alike, plays an important part in the war in Iraq—most notable is its role in
directing precision guided weapons to
their targets.

Fears that the enemy could block that capability were calmed today, with the announcement
that six satellite jamming
devices potentially capable of throwing those precision guided weapons off course, were
found and destroyed by the
U.S.

“We have noticed some attempts by the Iraqis to use a GPS jamming system that they
obtained from another nation,”
said Air Force Major General Victor Renuart, in a briefing in Qatar on Tuesday. “We have
destroyed all six of those
jammers in the last two nights’ airstrikes. I’m pleased to say they had no effect on us.”

Because GPS transmissions were designed to be extremely weak so signals wouldn’t interfere
with other forms of
broadcast, they are relatively easy to jam. The satellite-based technology originally
included a feature that allowed the
military to turn on a more accurate signal, but it seems unlikely it would be turned on
now because civilian
products—including those used by the military—would be adversely affected.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=7778
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/