Subject: [NEXTEL-1] APCO OPPOSES NEXTEL EFFORTS

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:56:13 -0500

APCO OPPOSES EFFORTS TO DISCARD
PHASE II E9-1-1 DEPLOYMENT IMPLEMENTATION DEADLINES

(Daytona Beach, Fla. March 26, 2003) - The Association of Public-Safety
Communications Officials (APCO) International, Inc. announced today its
opposition to an apparent attempt by Nextel to work with other wireless
carriers and public safety answering points (PSAPs) to convince the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) to remove the Dec. 31, 2005 final deadline
for the deployment of Phase II Enhanced 9-1-1 (E9-1-1) services.

In conjunction with the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet
Association's annual conference last week, Nextel publicized their intent to
urge PSAPs and carriers to ignore the FCC's mandate.  Nextel Senior Vice
President and Chief Regulatory Officer Robert Foosaner's explanation for
these actions involved changing industry conditions and the difficulties
PSAPs are having implementing the technology.

"It is clear that this is not an easy task," APCO International Acting
President Vincent Stile said in reference to E 9-1-1 deployment. "The point
is PSAPs are working hard to implement the technology because this is a
matter of life and death."

Additionally, Foosaner stated there is no need to establish a deadline and
if an end date is to be decided it should coincide with the industry's
growth rate, which would delay it approximately three years.  According to
Foosaner, in order to meet the FCC's mandate, Nextel would be expected to
have Phase II services deployed to 95 percent of its subscribers by the end
of 2005, therefore requiring it to replace "many" handsets.

Major carriers have already received waivers increasing the time they had
for Phase II deployment and, at that time, vowed not to seek extension of
the Dec. 31, 2005, deadline.  Additionally, due to increasing pressure from
PSAPs, APCO, other wireless carriers and congressional leaders, the FCC has
thus far remained faithful to the final Phase II deadline.

"The public safety community has clearly expressed its displeasure with any
action that would lead to further implementation delays," Stile said.  "The
fact that this technology saves lives should be reason enough for our
communications centers, wireless carriers and the FCC to deny Nextel's
request."

About APCO International
The Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials-International,
Inc.,is the world's oldest and largest not-for-profit professional
organization dedicated to the enhancement of public safety communications.
With more than 16,000 members around the world, APCO International exists to
serve the people who manage, operate, maintain and supply the communications
systems used to safeguard the lives and property of citizens everywhere.

###

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/