Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Chicago's subway system to get underground mobile coverage

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:00:47 -0500

Posted to the site on 19-Mar-03

Chicago's subway system to get underground mobile coverage

Allgon Telecom, in a contract with Aldridge Electric has been selected to provide a
comprehensive wireless telecommunications coverage solution for the Chicago Transit
Authority rapid subway tunnels, underground stations and station passageways. Once
completed, the project will be the first state-of-the-art multi-provider, multi-technology
wireless coverage solution deployed in a U.S. mass transit system. The 18-month
installation is expected to commence immediately, with limited service throughout the two
11.4 mile tunnels available to carriers in seven to nine months.
"The combination of Aldridge Electric's extensive installation experience within Chicago's
subway system with Allgon's expertise providing coverage solutions for complex
environments worldwide, offers the Chicago Transit Authority the most comprehensive,
cost-efficient way to expand communications capability," said Magnus Friberg, president,
Allgon Telecom Ltd. "After the system is complete and providers are signed-up, customers
can look forward to the security and convenience seamless wireless coverage can provide
wherever they are within the rail system."
Allgon's fiber-based distributed antenna network will transmit mobile radio signals from
strategically positioned radio base station hotels outside of the Chicago Subway tunnel
system. Besides supporting all major U.S. wireless providers, the system enhances the
communication system for the Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago Police Department and
Chicago Fire Department/EMS. The multi-provider and multi-band system of repeaters and
antennas will be connected to a common fiber-optic backbone - a solution that is an Allgon
Coverage Engineering (ACE) specialty.
"This underground connection will enable us to have multiple communication options
available both for the CTA and for our customers and it prepares us for a variety of
situations," said CTA president Frank Kruesi. "The more options we have for communicating
while in the subway, the better we can deliver a positive, more convenient transit
experience to the half-million customers who use our rail system each weekday."
The Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) is an independent governmental agency created by
Illinois state legislation in 1947. The CTA operates the USA's second largest public
transportation system and covers the City of Chicago and 40 surrounding suburbs. On an
average weekday, 1.5 million rides are taken on the CTA.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/