Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sprint Introduces PCS Telemetry Services

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:01:47 -0500

Displaced AT&T CDPD  users may have a new home if the price & coverage is right.
----------------------------------------------------
Sprint Introduces PCS Telemetry Services

Sprint PCS introduced PCS Telemetry Services, which it says provides an
attractive alternative for business customers using CDPD networks and looking
for a viable, long-term service with faster data speeds and greater flexibility.
Sprint said it is offering PCS Telemetry Services in response to the growing need
among business customers in vertical markets to collect, transfer and analyze
data in real time from unmanned machines or devices. Many businesses need a
reliable method to gather information from remote sites and send it to a
centralized location where it can be monitored and analyzed. For example,
wireless payment processing systems used by the rental car industry and
overnight delivery companies are commonplace today. Similarly, the meter
reader has become a thing of the past with utility companies gathering
information remotely via a variety of more economical methods.

The new machine-to-machine services will be supported by Sprint's nationwide CDMA
packet data 3G network. Customers will be able to transmit data over the Sprint
network at speeds averaging 50 to 70 Kbps, with peak speeds of 144 Kbps. The
higher speeds will allow customers to use more advanced telemetry applications
such as sending photos and images – a feat not feasible on slower CDPD
networks. Sprint is targeting vertical markets including point of sale and ATMs,
transportation, utilities, energy, security, asset and building management, as
well as field sales and service industries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 17, 2003
Sprint Expands Enterprise
Services, Pocket PC Devices
By Erin Joyce

As Wi-Fi (define) and 802.11 wireless
networking grows in popularity among
enterprise networks, Sprint PCS
(Quote, Company Info) jumped into
the market Monday with new 3G
high-speed data services for business
customers and unveiled new
enterprise-focused devices running
Microsoft's Windows Pocket PC
operating system for smart phones.

During the CTIA Wireless trade show
in New Orleans, the number four
wireless carrier unveiled PCS
Telemetry, a service that allows
machine-to-machine data transfer
over its 3G packet-capable network.
The services are designed to help
business users gather and distribute
information across a range of
applications, Sprint said, including
fleet management, wireless point of
sale transactions, and utility service
applications.

The machine-to-machine services are
being targeted in select vertical
markets, and are geared for
customers looking for more bandwidth
as they upgrade their applications for
wireless delivery.

Sprint is using the wireless trade
show to tout the speed on its CDMA
(define) 3G network while pitching
new PCS Telemetry Services to
enterprise customers that use CDPD
(Cellular Digital Packet Data, a data transmission technology developed for use on
cellular
phone frequencies) (define). CDPD transmits data on cellular phone frequencies in the
800- to 900-MHz range at rates of up to 19.2 Kbps (kilobits per second)

By contrast, Sprint's U.S. 3G network can support data transit at 50 to 70 Kbps, with
peak speeds of 144 Kbps. The higher speeds are where Sprint is looking for a sweet spot
with enterprise customers whose CDPD networks don't support faster data transit
speeds.

In related news, Sprint and Microsoft (Quote, Company Info) also took the tech
industry's integration of cell phones and PDAs another leap forward Monday with two
new PCS phones capable of launching Microsoft Office attachments, sending pictures,
checking e-mail -- and running on the Windows Pocket PC operating system.

Sprint already offers Windows-powered devices via Toshiba's 2032 phone series. But in
today's flurry of announcements at the CTIA Wireless trade show in New Orleans, Sprint
and Microsoft announced two more devices that further combine the functions of PDAs,
laptops and cell phones, aimed at an enterprise user.

Sprint PCS said it would offer two new PCS Phones based on the CDMA (define) wireless
networking standard, running on Microsoft Pocket PC software, during the second
quarter of this year. The new devices will be offered as Samsung's SPH-i700 and
Hitachi's G1000 series.

The companies said the products are designed for individuals and mobile professionals
who want a single multipurpose wireless device to make calls, access information, snap
photos and send them. It's also a chance for Sprint to show off the higher data speeds
capable with its cellular network.

The PCS Phone by Samsung SPH-i700, for example, is designed for business users to
have the latest cell phone features and are able to access Microsoft applications such as
Word and Excel.

The features in the i700 series include a speakerphone to allow users to conduct
hands-free conference calls and launch applications from their phones. The phone's
built-in digital camera allows VGA quality 640 x 480 images, continuous capture, lighting
adjustment, voice memo and text attachments with pictures that can be sent via e-mail
or infrared, the companies said.

Hitachi's G1000 series, meanwhile, is Hitachi's first Windows Powered device and the first

Pocket PC phone to feature an integrated camera, keyboard and phone all in one. It
comes with a built-in QWERTY keyboard that lets the user input text, place and receive
phone calls, and browse the Web at speeds averaging 50 to 70 Kbps (kilobits per
second), with peak speeds of 144 Kbps. The new device also incorporates an integrated
rotating digital VGA quality camera with the ability to shoot and share pictures.

Both devices will support standard Windows-based applications such as Excel, the
Outlook messaging and collaboration e-mail client, Pocket Word, Pocket Internet,
Explorer, Windows Media Player, Microsoft ActiveSync technology, Inbox and MSN
Messenger.

As part of its positioning with the enterprise and corporate markets, both PCS Phones
running the Pocket PC software will let customers download PCS Business Connection
Personal Edition during installation, which enables wireless access to company e-mail via
data-ready PCS Phones or laptops and handhelds connected to the Internet.

Customers will be able to read and respond to personal and company email, open
attachments, access business applications, browse the Web in full color, shoot and share
pictures, and make phone calls anywhere on the enhanced Sprint Nationwide PCS
Network -- all with the convenience of a single mobile device, the companies said.

At the same time, Sprint also unveiled new features for its consumer-focused devices
such as the PCS Phone by Sanyo 8100, which now supports adding voice messages with
digital pictures sent over the devices.

The company said the phone can record comments, even ambient sounds, which can be
uploaded to a photo account on the Sprint Pictures web site and sent to other PCS
Vision phones or computers.

http://boston.internet.com/news/article.php/2110431
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/