Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Federal Communications Bar Association-News March 2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:31:34 -0500

FCBA News March 2003

CLE Seminar - "What Every Practitioner Needs to Know about Telecommunications Access -
Policy and Practice Related to Persons with Disabilities
Congressional Reception to be Held March 11, 2003
President's Message
Special Events
Committee and Chapter Events
Committee and Chapter News
Adelstein Reception
Job Bank
FCBA Foundation News
FCBA Nominations
FCBA Events, CLE and Committee Registration
FCBA Mentor/Mentee Registration Form
Annual Seminar Reservation Request
Congressional Reception Registration
Calendar
Briefs and Masthead

CLE Seminar  "What Every Practitioner Needs to
Know about Telecommunications Access - Policy and
Practice Related to Persons with Disabilities"

The seminar will be held on March 27, 2003, 6:00  8:00 p.m. at the offices of Wiley Rein
and Fielding, 1750 K Street, NW,
10th Floor East Conference Room. For more information contact: Lauren Van Wazer, 202-
418-0030. For prices and to
RSVP, please use the form.

Please join us to learn more about the legal and regulatory landscape related to proving
telecommunications access for people
with disabilities. Topics will include: what is happening with the Telecommunications
Access provisions of Section 255,
Telecommunications Relay Services (TRS), hearing aid compatibility, access to emergency
information, and closed captioning.
Speakers will address the hot issues in these areas and provide important practical
perspectives about which federal policies
have worked and which ones have not. This seminar is geared for practitioners who do not
necessarily specialize in this area,
but who, in the course of counseling clients on general regulatory matters, may benefit
from a greater awareness of these issues.

Sign language interpretation will be provided.

Moderator: Bryan Tramont, Senior Legal Advisor, Chairman Powell

The panelists include:

     Tom Chandler, Chief, Disability Rights Office, Consumer and Governmental Affairs
Bureau, Federal Communications
     Commission
     Richard Ellis, Director, Federal Regulatory Advocacy, Verizon
     Mike Fingerhut, General Attorney, Sprint Corporation
     Pam Gregory, Special Advisor, Disability Rights Office, Consumer and Governmental
Affairs Bureau, Federal
     Communications Commission
     Karen Peltz Strauss, Gallaudet University
     Paul Schroeder, Vice President of Government Relations, American Foundation for the
Blind
     Claude Stout, Executive Director, Telecommunications for the Deaf, Inc.

Congressional Reception to be Held March 11, 2003

On March 11, 2003, the Legislation Committee, co-chaired by Bill Bailey, Mitch Rose and
Larry Duncan, is organizing
the FCBA's sixth biennial Congressional Reception honoring members of the House Committee
on Energy and
Commerce and the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation. The reception
will be held in The
Senate Dirksen Office Building Room SD 106, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. All Members of both
Committees, as well as the
five FCC Commissioners have been invited. The reception will give FCBA members an
opportunity to meet both new and
returning Committee members.

Sponsorships are available for the event. Sponsors will receive recognition in the
newsletter and acknowledgement at the event.
Individual tickets to the reception can also be purchased. Please use the Registration
Form to register for the reception.

President's Message

Dear Members:

On February 13th the FCBA welcomed Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein to his new post with a
reception in his honor at The
Mayflower. Joining Commissioner Adelstein was his wife, Karen, and his entire staff,
Senior Legal Advisor Lisa Zaina; Legal
Advisors Barry Ohlson and Sarah Whitesell, and Confidential Assistant Katherine Lapin.
Also joining us to honor the
Commissioner were Chairman Powell and Commissioner Abernathy, NTIA Director Nancy Victory,
Ambassador David
Gross, and several other senior FCC officials from all of the Commissioners offices.
Approximately 300 FCBA members
attended the reception, which was sponsored by 48 member organizations. I would like to
thank planning committee members
Michele Farquhar, Mark Schneider, Suzanne Toller, Jennifer Warren and Sheryl Wilkerson for
their hard work. Thanks to this
group, we were able to welcome Commissioner Adelstein in grand style and provide a forum
for FCBA members to visit with
one another as well as several senior members of the FCC.

In my October President's Message I promised to follow up on the Executive Committee
Retreat and, specifically, to report
back to you on policy recommendations of three groups examining budget/fiscal matters,
member services and the
Association's key annual events. These groups have reported back to the Executive
Committee with recommendations for both
short- and long-term goals.

Key Annual Events. This group's report recommended that we establish a committee to assist
the President and Administrative
Committee in reviewing the Association's major events, and in planning for the next fiscal
year. Sandy Wilson chaired this
committee and reported on its recommended timeline for Fiscal Year 2004 at the February
Executive Committee meeting. We
will report on the specific changes as they are adopted in the coming months.

Budget/Fiscal Issues. The report from this group includes several short- and long-term
recommendations for ensuring a
balanced budget for the Association in years to come. These recommendations include
creative suggestions on how to increase
revenues while remaining mindful of the costs to members. In the short term, the Executive
Committee will form a Sponsorship
Committee to review this issue broadly, and to develop a plan for avoiding sponsor burnout
or reduced revenues as a result of
decreased sponsorship funds in a down economy. In the longer term, the Executive Committee
will look at several revenue
generating ideas offered by this group, including offering new training programs,
soliciting different categories of members, and
increasing the type and number of sponsored events.

Member Services. The Executive Committee adopted and implemented this group's
recommendation to implement
teleconferencing capabilities for FCBA CLE programs. In addition, we recently had our
first Chapter program with a telephone
conference bridge so that members from various locations throughout the Chapter could
participate in the program. Longer
term, this group recommended that the FCBA consider video conferencing for its CLE and
other major programs, including the
luncheons and annual meeting.

These are just a few of the highlights following our Executive Committee Retreat. I am
confident that much of what we
undertake this year will be carried out longer term under Sandy Wilson's capable
leadership. Please contact Sandy or me if you
have questions or suggestions about these or other ideas for improving member services,
our key events, or fiscal issues.

Lastly, I would like to commend the chairs of the Diversity Committee, Edgar Class, Monica
Desai and Harry Wingo, who are
implementing a new outreach program to various law schools and organizations. Recently,
BET hosted the Diversity Committee
for a Corporate Mentoring lunch focusing on in-house professional opportunities. The
Committee also has held a series of
events at local law schools to educate students about career opportunities in
communications, and about the FCBA. Special
thanks to Executive Committee member Byron Marchant for hosting the BET event and for
serving as liaison to the Diversity
Committee.

Peter D. Shields

Special Events

Mentoring Program Kickoff Reception April 3

The Diversity Committee of the FCBA is pleased to announce that the 2003 FCBA Mentorship
Program Kickoff Reception
will be held Thursday, April 3, 2003, from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm at the law offices of Shook,
Hardy & Bacon, LLP, located at
600 14th Street, N.W., in the Penthouse Suite. The Mentoring Program provides law students
and junior members of the bar
with advisors who are more experienced in the specialized practice of law. The program
helps to develop the future leadership
of our bar association and bolster the esteem in which the practice of law is held by the
communications industry and the
community at large. Through the annual reception, the FCBA seeks to establish or maintain
mentor/mentee relationships and to
inspire greater participation among its membership. The Diversity Committee strongly
encourages all mentors and mentees to
attend! Light refreshments will be served. For information about the FCBA Diversity
Committee, please contact any of the
Diversity Committee Co-Chairs: Edgar Class III at (202) 783-8400 ([email-masked]), Monica
Desai at (202) 418-7419
([email-masked]; or Harry Wingo at (202) 418-1783 ([email-masked]).

To sign up to be a mentor or mentee, use the form.

For the Mentoring Program Kickoff Reception, please RSVP to Wendy Parish at
[email-masked].

FCBA Annual Seminar 2003

Please make plans to join us for the FCBA's Annual Seminar, which will take place May 2-4,
2003, at The Homestead in
Hot Springs, VA. This year's planning committee co-chaired by Mike Senkowski, Celia
Nogales and Kathy Zachem is
putting together a dynamic program including, Members of Congress, FCC Commissioners and
corporate CEO's.

The Homestead resort, established in 1766, rests within the Allegheny Mountains of
Virginia. Golf courses, tennis courts, a
European-style spa, and a Kids Club are just a few of the activities available to
entertain you and your guests. For more details
about the resort, visit www.thehomestead.com. A Room Reservation Request Form is located
here. The deadline to
reserve a room is April 2, 2003. For Government Rated Rooms, please fill out this same
form, but fax it directly to the
FCBA  202-293-4317. Seminar registration is separate, and a form will be available in a
couple of weeks.

We hope you will join us at The Homestead in May!

HOT TIMES AT THE HOMESTEAD
(Schedule subject to change)

Key Communications Decision-Makers and Industry Leaders Offer Their Views and Answer Your
Questions

FRIDAY  MAY 2:

WELCOME TO THE CONFERENCE  Opening remarks by Peter Shields, FCBA President  3:00 PM to
3:15 PM

THE FOURTH S  A Tutorial on Computer, Software, Communications and Content Convergence 
Jeffrey Eisenach  3:15
PM to 4:15 PM

VIEW FROM THE CHAIRMAN'S OFFICE  A look forward at the key issues facing the FCC 
Address by Marsha
MacBride, Chief of Staff, Office of the Chairman, Federal Communications Commission  4:15
PM to 5:00 PM

CONFERENCE KEY NOTE  A look at where the industry has been and where it is heading by Bob
Johnson, Chairman
and CEO of BET  5:00 PM to 6:00 PM

RECEPTION  6:00 PM to 7:00 PM

DINNER and OTHER ACTIVITIES  7:00 PM to End of Evening

SATURDAY  MAY 3:

BREAKFAST BUFFET  7:30  10:00 AM

CONVERGENCE CHALLENGES AND CONGRESSIONAL PRIORITIES  Hon. Rick Boucher and Hon. Bob
Goodlatte  9:00 AM to 10:15 AM

Break  10:15 AM to 10:30 AM

ASK THE COMMISSIONERS  An open dialogue with the FCC Commissioners Kathleen Abernathy,
Kevin Martin,
Michael Copps and Jonathan Adelstein  10:30 AM to Noon

LUNCH AND AFTERNOON ACTIVITIES  Noon  6:00 p.m.

RECEPTION  7:00 PM

DINNER  7:30 PM

SUNDAY  MAY 4:

BREAKFAST BUFFET  7:30  10:00 AM

The 2003 World Computer and Internet Law Congress, May 1-2

The Computer Law Association In affiliation with, the Federal Communications Bar
Association, the Computer and
Telecommunications Section of the D.C. Bar, the D.C. Computer Law Forum, and International
Federation of Computer Law
Associations, presents The 2003 World Computer and Internet Law Congress, A Unique World
Class Legal Summit
Focusing on Practical, "Take-Home" Advice and Guidance by Top Information Technology
Experts, on May 1-2,
2003, Fairmont Washington Hotel, Washington, D.C.

Come Away With What You and Your Clients Truly Need to Know to Effectively Conduct
Business in Today's Global
Marketplace

Topics to include:

     Doing Business on the Internet
     New virtual workplace employment issues
     Making electronic agreements enforceable worldwide
     New tax liabilities
     Offshoring the ownership of intellectual property
     Internet advertising
     Recent intellectual property developments
     New or imminent laws, rules, and regulations and other "hot" topics
     Transactions involving key IT and internet law issues

For full conference brochure and to take advantage of special early registration check
this link: http://www.cla.org/claconfs.htm
or the Computer Law Association website at www.cla.org or call (703) 560-7747.

FCBA/ABA/NAB Cosponsor Las Vegas Seminar

"Fabulous 50 Hot Legal Issues"

Over the past several years, the annual Las Vegas seminar on Representing Your Local
Broadcaster has become one of the
preeminent broadcast law programs in the country. The reason is a renewed focus on the
practical, daily issues facing stations
and their lawyers. This year's format builds on that tradition with The Fabulous 50 Hot
Legal Issues.

We've structured panels to reflect how stations are organized and once again, staffed them
with a sensational group of in-house
and outside experts to walk through the Top 10 issues in each area in a very faced-paced,
intense program, supplemented with
valuable background material. As an added feature this year, we will have Washington meet
Wall Street for a luncheon panel
assessing the practical business fallout outside the Beltway from likely policy changes on
the Hill and at the FCC. Key
Washington policy makers along with incisive investment analysts will bring us quite an
unusual perspective.

The day promises to be spirited, practical, penetrating and relevant - the makings of an
excellent seminar program!

Discounted seminar registration is available to all FCBA and ABA members. Registration can
be completed online:
http://www.abanet.org/forums/communications/coprog.html.

Housing fills quickly for this event, which again will be held at the Bellagio Hotel,
Sunday, April 6. You should telephone NAB's
housing agent, Expovision, at 888-622-8830 or 703-205-9114. Be sure to tell them you are
with the ABA Forum to take
advantage of the special block of rooms, to the extent that any remain.

Program Schedule

7:30-8:45 am
Registration and Continental Breakfast

8:45-9:00 am
Introductory Remarks
Thomas B. Kelley, Chair, ABA Forum on Communications Law, Faegre & Benson, Denver, CO; and
Jeff Baumann,
Executive Vice President, National Association of Broadcasters,
Washington, DC

9:00-10:00 am
Webcasting/Copyright
Top 10 "Demands" from your "web-savvy" station General Manager
Moderator: Nicole Wong, Perkins Coie, San Francisco, CA
Speakers: Jonathan Avila, The Walt Disney Co., Burbank, CA
Benjamin Ivins, National Association of Broadcasters, Washington, DC
S. Jenell Trigg, Leventhal, Senter & Lerman, Washington, DC
David Wittenstein, Dow, Lohnes and Albertson, Washington, DC

10:00-11:00 am
Newsgathering
Top 10 Statements You Don't Want to Hear from Your News Director
Moderator: Guylyn Cummins, Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich, LLP San Diego, CA
Speakers: Lee Levine, Levine Sullivan & Koch, Washington, DC
Robert Nelon, Hall Estill, Hardwick Gable, Golden & Nelson, Oklahoma City, OK
Charles Tobin, Holland & Knight, Washington, DC
Maya Windholz, NBC, New York, NY

11:00-11:15 am
BREAK

11:15 am -12:15 pm
Sales
Top 10 Naïve Comments from Sales Department Account Executives
Moderator: Gregory Schmidt, Lin Television, Washington, DC
Speakers: Jennifer Johnson, Covington & Burling, Washington, DC
Mark Prak, Brooks Pierce McLendon Humphrey & Leonard, Raleigh, NC
Russell Schwartz, Bahakel Communications, Charlotte, NC
Margaret Tobey, Morrison & Foerster, Washington, DC

12:15-1:45 pm
LUNCHEON
Washington Meets Wall Street
Top 10 Questions for Immediate Resolution  Nickels, dimes and millions
Moderators: R. Clark Wadlow, Sidley Austin Brown & Wood, Washington, DC
Richard E. Wiley, Wiley Rein & Fielding, Washington, DC
Speaker: Bill Bailey, Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Technology, Washington, DC
(Invited)
Marsha MacBride, Federal Communications Commission, Washington, DC
Jessica Wallace, House Committee on Energy and Commerce, Washington, DC (Invited)
Victor Miller, Bear Sterns, New York, NY
Tom Wolzien, Sanford Bernstein, New York, NY

1:45-2:00 pm
BREAK

2:00-3:00 pm
Programming
Top 10 TV Programming Secrets You'll Only Admit in a Privileged Conversation
Moderator: M. Anne Swanson, Dow Lohnes & Albertson, Washington, DC
Speakers: Dennis Corbett, Leventhal, Senter & Lerman, Washington, DC
Susan Fox, The Walt Disney Company, Washington, DC
Charles Sennet, Tribune Company, Chicago, IL
Anita Wallgren, Sidley Austin Brown & Wood, Washington, DC

3:00-4:00 pm
Daily Compliance Headaches
Top 10 Daily Rules That Just Make You Scream
Moderator: Jerald Fritz, Allbritton Communications Company, Washington, DC
Speakers: Paulette Dodson, Tribune Company, Chicago, IL
Kenneth Howard, Baker & Hostetler, Washington, DC
David Fleming, Gannett Co., Inc., Washington, DC
Richard Zaragoza, Shaw Pittman, Washington, DC

4:00-5:30 pm
RECEPTION

Committee and Chapter Events

Cable Practice and Legislation Committees

Event: Brown Bag Lunch
Date/Time: Friday, March 28, 12:15 p.m.
Location: NCTA, 1724 Massachusetts Ave., NW, 2nd Floor Conference Room
Speakers: Bill Bailey, Majority Counsel, Senate Commerce Committee and James Assey,
Minority Counsel, Senate
Commerce Committee
For more info: Catherine Bohigian, [email-masked]
RSVP to: Wendy Parish, [email-masked]

Common Carrier Practice Committee

Event: Brown Bag Lunch
Date/Time: March 13, 12:15 p.m.
Location: Willkie Farr & Gallagher, 1875 K Street, N.W.
Speakers: Policy Division Chief and Deputies
For more info: Matthew Brill, [email-masked] or Thomas Jones, [email-masked] -
202-303-1111
RSVP to: non required

Mass Media Practice Committee

Event: Brown Bag Lunch
Date/Time: Tuesday, March 18, 12:15 p.m.
Location: NAB, first floor conference room, 1771 N Street, NW
For more info: Catherine Bohigian, [email-masked]
RSVP to: Wendy Parish, [email-masked]

New York Chapter

Event: A Discussion Of The FCC Media Ownership Rules From The Front Lines
Date/Time: March 20, 2003, 8:30 a.m.
Location: Wolf, Block, Schorr & Solis-Cohen, 250 Park Ave., 10th Floor
Topic and Speaker: FCC Media Ownership Rules, Ellen Agress, Senior Vice President, Deputy
General
Counsel-Communications, News America Incorporated
For More Info: Ellen Agress 212-852-7204 David Bronston 212-883-4942 Eileen Huggard
212-395-2258
RSVP to: [email-masked]

Professional Responsibility Committee

Event: Brown Bag Lunch, beverages and dessert provided
Date/Time: Tuesday, March 11, 12:15 p.m.
Location: Arnold & Porter, 555 Twelfth Street, NW, Conf. Rm. 850A
Topic: Planning of a continuing legal education program to be held later this Spring or
early next Fall. Members of the
Committee and others are encouraged to bring ideas for potential topics and speakers with
them, along with their lunches.
Beverages and desert will be provided
For more info: Ted Frank, [email-masked]

Texas Chapter

Event: Brown Bag Lunch
Date/Time: Thursday, March 20, Noon
Location: Frost Bank Building, Suite 1140, 816 Congress Avenue, Austin, TX
Topic: FCC Triennial Review
Speakers: TBA
For more info: Dineen Majcher - [email-masked]

Wireless Telecommunications and International Practice Committees

Event: Luncheon
Date/Time: Friday, March 7, 12:15-1:30 p.m.
Location: Sidley Austin Brown & Wood, 1501 K Street, NW, Conference Room 6E
Speakers: Karl Nebbia of NTIA
Topic: IRAC
Cost: $15
RSVP to: see form.

Young Lawyers Committee

Event: Brown Bag Lunch
Date/Time: Wednesday, March 12, 12:15 p.m.
Location: Willkie Farr & Gallagher, 1875 K Street, NW, Conference Room
Topic: "The Role of In House Counsel" - Join the YLC for a discussion with attorneys from
a number of the nation's largest
media and communications companies. Our featured speakers will discuss their roles as in
house counsel, including the type of
regulatory and legislative work they do, and will identify the issues that are high on
their companies' agendas this year
Speakers: Bob Calaff, Senior Corporate Counsel - Government and Industry Affairs, T-Mobile
USA, Inc.; Melissa
Newman, Qwest Communications; Bob Beizer, Vice President, Law and Development, Gray
Television; Jim Coltharp, Sr.
Dir., Public Policy, Comcast
For more info: Yaron Dori  [email-masked] or Ryan Wallach  [email-masked]

Event: Happy Hour
Come join the YLC for happy hour as we prepare for Spring. Ask for the FCBA group. We will
have a space reserved.
Happy hour food and drink specials are available from 5:00-7:30.
Date/Time: Thursday, March 20, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Location: Savino's Cafe - One Dupont Circle - Red Line Metro Stop Dupont Circle  South -
Phone Number:
202-872-1122
For more info: Pam Slipakoff at 202-418-7705 or [email-masked]

Committee and Chapter News

Corporate Mentorship Brown Bag lunch at Verizon Communications

The Diversity Committee is pleased to announce a corporate Mentorship brown bag lunch at
Verizon Communications on
Wednesday, March 26, from 12pm-2pm. This event will feature perspectives from attorneys
working in various roles at
Verizon, including Monica Azare, Senior Director, Federal Affairs, Verizon Wireless;
Sherry Bellamy, Vice President &
Associate General Counsel, Verizon; Clint Odom, Director of Federal Regulatory Affairs,
Verizon; and Ed Young, Senior Vice
President  Industry Analysis and Relations, Verizon. Speakers will discuss their own
career paths, their daily responsibilities,
and the benefits and disadvantages of working in-house for a large telecommunications
company. Anyone interested in
exploring or developing a career in communications law focused on telecommunications is
encouraged to attend this event.
There will be a limit of 20 participants. Desserts and beverages will be provided. Verizon
is located at 1300 Eye Street, N.W.,
Suite 400W (across from the McPherson Metro Stop). For further information, or to rsvp,
please contact Monica Desai,
Diversity Committee co-chair, at (202) 418-7419; [email-masked].

Corporate Mentorship Brown Bag lunch at CTIA

The Diversity Committee is pleased to announce a corporate Mentorship brown bag lunch at
the Cellular Telecommunications
& Internet Association (CTIA) on Thursday, April 3, from 12pm-2pm. The event will feature
attorneys working in-house at
CTIA, who will discuss their own career paths, their daily responsibilities, and the
benefits and disadvantages of working for a
trade association. Anyone interested in exploring or developing a career in wireless
communications is encouraged to attend this
event. There will be a limit of 20 participants. Desserts and beverages will be provided.
The event will be held in the CTIA
conference room, located on C-1 level, 1250 Connecticut Ave, NW (Ct & N). To rsvp, please
contact Christine Blomquist,
736-3653; [email-masked]. For additional information, please contact Monica Desai,
Diversity Committee co-chair, at
(202) 418-7419; [email-masked].

Adelstein Reception

FCBA Members Welcome Commissioner Adelstein

Nearly 300 members of the FCBA, Chairman Powell and Commissioner Abernathy attended a
reception at the Mayflower
Hotel on February 13 to welcome recently appointed FCC Commissioner, Jonathan Adelstein
and introduce him to the
FCBA.

The overwhelming support of the members undoubtedly contributed to the reception's
success. Members of the Executive
Committee were able to secure almost 50 sponsors for this event, many of whom, will also
be sponsoring the March 11
Congressional Reception.

Thank you to the sponsors of the Adelstein Reception!

Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
Alston & Bird LLP
Arnold & Porter
ArrayComm, Inc.
AT&T Wireless Services
BellSouth Corporation
Black Entertainment Television
Carter Ledyard & Milburn LLP
Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA)
Cingular Wireless
Cohn and Marks LLP
Cole, Raywid & Braverman, LLP
Competitive Telecommunications Association (CompTel)
Consumer Electronics Association
Coudert Brothers LLP
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
Ericsson
Fleischman & Walsh, LLP
Fletcher, Heald & Hildreth, PLC
Harris, Wiltshire & Grannis, LLP
Hogan & Hartson LLP
Irwin Campbell & Tannenwald, P.C.
Issue Dynamics Inc.
Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
Leventhal, Senter & Lerman PLLC
Lockheed Martin Corporation
Miller & Van Eaton, PLLC
Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, P.C.
Morrison & Foerster LLP
Motorola
National Cable and Telecommunications Association (NCTA)
Nokia Inc.
Qwest
Shaw Pittman LLP
Sidley Austin Brown & Wood LLP
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Squire, Sanders & Dempsey
T-Mobile USA
United States Telecom Association (USTA)
Venable, Baetjer, Howard & Civiletti, LLP
Verizon Corporation
Viacom
Wiley Rein & Fielding LLP
Wilkinson Barker Knauer, LLP
Willkie Farr & Gallagher
Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering
Worldcom, Inc.

Job Bank

TO RESPOND TO JOB BANK LISTINGS

If the employer is listed, send the information requested directly to the employer. If you
are responding to a BLIND BOX
listing, send ONE COPY of the information requested to Heidi Kurtz, Federal Communications
Bar Association, 1020 19th
Street, NW, Suite 325, Washington, DC 20036-6101, or EMAIL it to [email-masked]. Please
clearly indicate the Blind Box
number to which you are responding. If you are applying to a Blind Box, you may enclose a
separate note to the FCBA
specifying any organization to which you do not wish your application to be forwarded.
Responses to Blind Box listings can be
accepted only from FCBA members.

TO LIST A JOB

Complete a Job Bank Form and send or fax the Form and the appropriate payment to Heidi
Kurtz, Federal Communications
Bar Association, 1020 19th Street, NW, Suite 325, Washington, DC 20036-6101. In addition,
please email the text of the ad
to [email-masked]. Listings and payment received by the 10th day of each month will appear
in the next month's newsletter. If
possible, ads should not exceed 75 words. Please call the FCBA, (202) 293-4000, for a Job
Bank Form. (No headhunters
please).

CORPORATE

2.03.2
Communications Law Practice Group in Washington, DC office of a multi-city law firm is
looking for a second or third year
associate attorney with experience in broadcasting and/or telecommunications matters. Our
associate attorneys are aware of
this ad. Please note this is a blind box ad.

3.03.1
The Arnold & Porter Legal Assistant Program is seeking a full time Telecommunications
Senior Legal Assistant. Requirements
include a minimum four years' experience working with issues regarding the
Telecommunications industry. The candidate must
be proficient with the Federal Communications Commission and its processes, including
experience using the FCC's files and
electronic databases, and a number of other database services, including Berry Best, Pike
and Fischer, Lexis and Westlaw.
Additional requirements include a four-year bachelor's degree; flexibility to work
overtime and travel if necessary; creativity and
strong organizational skills. Competitive salary, based on experience, and excellent
benefits and work environment.

Please send resume and cover letter to: Legal Assistant Recruiting Manager, Arnold &
Porter, 555 12th Street, N.W.,
Washington, DC 20004 - Fax: (202) 942-5999 - We are an Equal Opportunity Affirmative
Action Employer and support
equal opportunity for all people, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, age,
national origin, disability, and/or any other
characteristic protected by the State or Federal law.

INTERNSHIPS

FCC Office of General Counsel Internships. The Federal Communications Commission is
seeking law student interns to work
in the Office of General Counsel for the summer of 2003. Ideal candidates should possess
an interest in communications law
and administrative procedure; an ability to interpret complex legal issues; excellent
legal research and writing skills; strong
academics; and an ability to interact with individuals at all levels of authority.
Applicants should submit a resume and short
writing sample to Mary McManus, [email-masked].

The Federal Communications Commission is seeking law student interns to work in the
Enforcement Bureau, Investigations &
Hearings Division, for the Summer 2003 semester. Ideal candidates should possess an
interest in communications law; an ability
to interpret complex legal, technical, and policy issues; strong legal research and
writing skills; and an ability to interact with
individuals at all levels of authority within and outside the organization. Depending on
students' interests and the Division's
caseload, students may have the opportunity to work on common carrier, media, satellite,
and wireless enforcement cases.
Submit resumes for consideration to David Janas, [email-masked]. Please apply by March 14,
2003. For further Information
on the Enforcement Bureau, and Investigations & Hearings Division, please see the Bureau's
web page at www.fcc.gov/eb.

FCBA Foundation News

FCBA Volunteers Provide Blankets for New Shelter

In January, the local group Families Forward contacted us regarding their urgent need for
blankets to be used in their new cold
weather shelter at D.C. General Hospital, one of the few shelters in the District that
provides assistance to families. Families
Forward is the same organization that distributes the holiday gifts that we collect for
homeless children each year. Given the
extremely cold conditions that month, the need for blankets at their new facility had
become urgent. Within days of this request,
FCBA volunteers, led by Pam Cooper, collected nearly $2,000 and donated 100 blankets.
Thank you to everyone who
helped out with this effort.

"Radio Day" At Martha's Table  March 30

The FCBA Foundation has designated Sunday, March 30th, as "Radio Day" at Martha's Table.
Attorneys from private
practice, trade organizations and the government who work with radio broadcasting
companies will be volunteering that day,
from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m., to assist in the preparation of meals for the District's
homeless population. Family, friends
and even attorneys with other practice areas are welcome to join us. As many have
discovered, this is a great event for children
as well. Martha's Table feeds hundreds of hungry, homeless adults and children on the
streets of Washington daily, through its
mobile soup kitchen, McKenna's Wagon. Please bring sandwich fixings (bread and sandwich
meat) with you, as the center
often runs out of donated food.

Martha's Table is located in a yellow building at 2114 Fourteenth Street, NW, in the
District, near the intersection of 14th and
U Streets. On-street parking is available. For more information, contact Howard Weiss at
703/812-0471 ( or Chris Wood at
202/939-7903 ([email-masked]).

McKenna's Wagon  March 23

Volunteers are needed for the monthly afternoon food distribution with McKenna's Wagon.
The next date is March 23, 2003.
The volunteers meet at Martha's Table, 2114 Fourteenth Street, NW in the late afternoon.
To volunteer, or for more
information about McKenna's Wagon, please contact: Tom Van Wazer - 202-736-8119 -
[email-masked]

7th Annual FCBA Foundation Golf Tournament on June 16

Its time to mark your calendars for the 7th Annual FCBA Foundation Honorable Robert E. Lee
Memorial Golf Tournament on
Monday, June 16, 2003 (the day after Father's Day). The group will return to Bull Run
Country Club in Haymarket,
Virginia. Last year the event was oversubscribed, so be alert when registration opens.
This will be the Foundation's second visit
to the Bull Run track, so players are expected to invent new excuses: "I never played
there before" no longer works. And,
regardless of your finish, it is an enjoyable day for a good cause - raising over $25,000
for the FCBA Foundation's Scholarship
Fund, which provides college funds for deserving District of Columbia high school
graduates. Prices and registration information
will appear in the March issue of the FCBA News. If you are interested in helping out with
the tournament planning, or on the
day of the event, contact Heidi Kurtz in the FCBA office.

Foundation Benefits From the Bequest of a Longtime Bar Member

The FCBA Foundation is pleased to announce that its scholarship programs and other public
service initiatives will experience a
tremendous boost through a generous bequest from the late Frank U. Fletcher, who passed
away in 1995. During his long
and distinguished career, Mr. Fletcher was an FCC attorney who helped draft the
regulations implementing the
Communications Act, the senior partner at the law firm Fletcher Heald & Hildreth, a
longtime FCBA member and the FCBA
President in 1960-61. Last year, Mr. Fletcher's estate made a contribution of more than
$100,000 to the Foundation, following
the death of his spouse. This generous bequest will be used to help fund the college
scholarships we award each year to
deserving local high school students, to help defray the costs of administering the
scholarship process, and for other Foundation
activities.

While the bulk of the Foundation's funding traditionally comes from regular fundraising
events such as the Chairman's Dinner
and Golf Tournament, from annual membership contributions, and from the support and
sponsorships of members, friends and
their companies and organizations throughout the year, bequests and other forms of planned
giving such as the recent Fletcher
bequest can sustain and greatly enhance the Foundation's future efforts. In particular,
such gifts help the Foundation to continue
to award college scholarships even during times when a slow economy may impact corporate
and other donations.

The Foundation is grateful for the generous support of all our members and friends and
encourages members to give some
thought to planned giving as well. The most common and simplest form of planned giving, a
bequest, is a gift that is made
through a donor's will.

Individuals may include the Foundation in their wills by naming it for either a specific
amount or a percent share of their estate.
Other methods of planned giving, including a variety of trusts and annuities, also are
available. Members considering this form of
contribution should consult with their financial planner or tax adviser to determine which
type of gift is most appropriate to their
situation. Once again, the FCBA Foundation sincerely appreciates all of your continuing
financial support for its activities, in
whatever form.

FCBA Nominations

Pursuant to Article V, Section 20 of the Association's By-Laws, the FCBA's Nominations
Committee has nominated the
persons set forth below as candidates for the positions shown for terms beginning July 1,
2003. Please note that the By-Laws
provide that the current President-Elect, Alexandra M. Wilson, Cox Enterprises, Inc., is
to become President and current
Assistant Treasurer, Diane J. Cornell, CTIA, is to become Treasurer. In addition, Suzanne
K. Toller, Davis Wright Tremaine,
LLP, will serve a second year as a Chapter Representative.

Officers

President-Elect
Harry C. Martin
Fletcher, Heald & Hildreth, PLC

Secretary
Michele C. Farquhar
Hogan & Hartson, LLP

Assistant Secretary
Jennifer A. Warren
Lockheed Martin Corporation

Assistant Treasurer
James S. Blitz
Davis Wright Tremaine, LLP

Chapter Representative
Ellen S. Agress
News America

Delegate to the American Bar Association
Clark R. Wadlow
Sidley Austin Brown & Wood

Executive Committee
(Three to be selected for three-year terms)

Diane B. Burstein
National Cable and Telecommunications Association

Robert A. Calaff
T-Mobile USA, Inc.

Carolyn W. Groves
Wilkinson Barker Knauer, LLP

Laura H. Phillips
Drinker Biddle & Reath

Harry Wingo
Federal Communications Commission

Christopher G. Wood
Fleischman & Walsh, LLP

Nominations Committee
(Three to be selected for two-year terms)

Rosalind K. Allen
Arnold & Porter

William J. Bailey
U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce,
Science & Transportation

Randall S. Coleman
ArrayComm

Donna N. Lampert
Lampert & O'Connor, PC

Mary Beth Richards
Federal Communications Commission

Kathryn A. Zachem
Wilkinson Barker Knauer, LLP

FCBA Foundation Board of Trustees
(Four to be selected for three year terms)

James R. Coltharp
Comcast Corporation

Praveen Goyal
Covad Communications

Karen L. Gulick
Harris Wiltshire & Grannis, LLP

Nandan M. Joshi
Federal Communications Commission

Maureen A. O'Connell
News Corporation

Jacquelynn Ruff
Federal Communications Commission

Mark Van Bergh
Arter & Hadden

Paula Ford Boyd
Microsoft Corporation

Additional nominations of candidates for the positions listed above may be made by
Petition. Each Petition must be supported
by the signatures of at least twenty five (25) members of the Federal Communications Bar
Association. Nominating Petitions
must be submitted no later than Friday, March 28, 2003 to Stan Zenor, FCBA, 1020 19th
Street, NW, Suite 325,
Washington, DC 20036.

Ballots, including biographical information for each candidate, will be mailed to all
voting members of the Association in late
April/early May. The election results will be announced during the Annual Meeting at the
June Luncheon.

Special thanks to members of the Nominations Committee this year  Margaret Tobey (Chair),
Jonathan Askin, Dan Brenner,
Sally Buckman, James Casserly, Antoinette Cook Bush, Anna Gomez, Luisa Lancetti, Jane
Mago, John Nakahata, Melissa
Newman, Peter Tannenwald, and Anita Wallgren.

FCBA Events, CLE and Committee Registration

Name______________________________________
Organization______________________________________
Address______________________________________
Suite/Room/Apt.______________________________________
City/State/Zip ______________________________________
Phone______________________________________
Fax______________________________________
E-mail______________________________________

Check the event(s) for which you are registering:

   Friday, March 7, 2003  Wireless and International Committees Luncheon, Sidley Austin
Brown & Wood, Room
6-E, 1501 K Street, NW
Cost: $15
Registrations and cancellations due by 11:00 a.m., Wednesday, March 5, 2003

   Thursday, March 27, 2003  CLE Seminar, Wiley Rein & Fielding, 1750 K Street, NW, 10th
Floor Conference Room
Cost: $60 for members, $50 for government/academic/law student members, and $80 for
non-members
Registrations and cancellations due by 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, March 25, 2003

$_______________ Total Enclosed         Visa  MasterCard  American Express

Credit card no.______________________________________

Exp. date______________________________________

Signature______________________________________

Payment should be made in advance, however payment must be received no later than the day
of the event. Phone
registrations will not be accepted.

PLEASE FAX THIS FORM TO: Wendy Parish, Federal Communications Bar Association, Fax: (202)
293-4317

FCBA Mentor/Mentee Registration Form

The FCBA Diversity Committee will be pairing mentors and mentees on a rolling basis. Thank
you for your time
and your willingness to participate in the FCBA's Mentoring Program.

I am applying to be a Mentor ____ Mentee ____

Name_______________________________________________________________________

Organization___________________________________________________________________

Address _______________________________________________________________________

Suite/Room/Apt._______________________________________________________________________

City/State/Zip_______________________________________________________________________

Phone ________________________________ Fax __________________________________

E-mail _______________________________________________________________________

Area(s) of Communications Law Practice ___________________________________________________

Years of Practice in Communications Law___________________________________________________

Please list your law school, undergraduate and graduate education including school,
degree, graduation dates, and major and
minor, if applicable

_______________________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Does your employer have an existing mentoring program? Yes ____ No ____

If yes, do you participate? Yes ____ No ____

If so, how?_______________________________________________________________________________

What are your hobbies and
interests?___________________________________________________________

Please list any other details that you think would help the FCBA match you with a
compatible mentor/ mentee

_______________________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________________________

(For Mentors Only) Are you willing to mentor more than one mentee at a time? Yes ____ No
____

(For Mentees Only) Please list your primary goal(s) or reason(s) for participating in the
mentorship program.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________________________

PLEASE RETURN THIS FORM BY EMAIL, MAIL OR FAX TO:
Federal Communications Bar Association
1020 19th Street, N.W., Suite 325
Washington, D.C. 20036
Phone:(202) 293-4000
Fax:(202) 293-4317
E-mail:[email-masked]

Annual Seminar Reservation Request

May 2-4, 2003 · Federal Communications Bar Association

The following daily rates are per room based on the European Plan (no meals)

Please circle preferred rate:
ROOM: SUITES: (based on availability)
Single Occupancy Double Occupancy Junior: Single - $315.00 Double - $315.00
$215.00 per room $215.00 per room One Bedroom: Single - $400.00 Double - $400.00
Two Bedroom: Available Upon Request

Children sharing room with parents:
0 to 18 years  No Charge
Additional Adult - $80.00 per person, per night

15% service charge and 4.5% sales tax are additional.

Arrival date ________________________________________ Departure
date______________________________________________

Name (please print)
___________________________________________________________________________No. of
adults ______

Room mate (if applicable)
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Address
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

City_____________________________________________________ State__________________________
Zip
Code_______________

Daytime Telephone no _______________________________(E-Mail)_____________________ Fax No.
__________________________

Children's names and ages: ___________________________ ___________________________
___________________________ ___________________________

An advance deposit of the first night's room rate is required to guarantee your
reservation. Early mailing of reservations is highly
recommended. Confirmed reservations are based on room availability. Reservations must be
received by April 2, 2003 or until
the room block has been filled. Deposit may be made with Visa, MasterCard, American
Express, Diner's Club, and Discover,
which will be charged when reservation request is received. If deposit is by check payment
must be received with this
reservation request. Deposit is refundable if notice of cancellation is received at least
14 days prior to the scheduled arrival
date.

Credit Card No. ________________________________________________________ Expiration date
___________________________

    Visa   MasterCard   American Express   Discover   Diner's Club   CCA Member Card
________________________

Advance reservations and appointments are suggested for all evening dining and recreation
to ensure preferred
times. Please call 800-838-1766. Check in time is after 4:00 p.m. Check out time is before
12:00 noon.

Reservations request made by:
___________________________________________________________________Date:____________

Dress: During the day, casual attire is preferred. Jeans and bathing suits are discouraged
in The Great Hall. In the evening,
jacket and tie are required in The Dining Room and jackets elsewhere. Casual attire is
welcomed at Sam Snead's Tavern and
Players Pub.

Mail to: Group Reservations, P.O. Box 2000, Hot Springs, Virginia 24445
Reservations by fax (540-839-7922) or mail only, no phone calls, please.
Visit our website at www.thehomestead.com

Congressional Reception Registration

Honoring
Members of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce
and
the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation

Tuesday, March 11, 2003

6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

The DIRKSEN SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
Room SD-106
1ST and C STREETS, NE

Please reserve _______ Sponsorship(s) at $300.00 per sponsorship (includes two tickets to
the event, recognition in the
newsletter, and acknowledgement at the event)

Please register _______ FCBA Private Sector Member(s) at $40.00 per person

Please register _______ FCBA Government/Academic/Law Student Member(s) at $25.00 per
person

Please register _______ Non-Member(s) at $60.00 per person

Name_______________________________________________________________________

Organization___________________________________________________________________

Address _______________________________________________________________________

Suite/Room/Apt._______________________________________________________________________

City/State/Zip_______________________________________________________________________

Phone ________________________________ Fax __________________________________

E-mail____________________________________________________________________________

Please list names of all attendees (all guests' names must be received by mail, fax, or
e-mail no later than Friday, March 7):

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

$_______________ Total Enclosed         Visa  MasterCard  American Express
Credit card no.______________________________________
Exp. date______________________________________
Signature______________________________________

PLEASE SEND THIS FORM AND A CHECK MADE
PAYABLE TO THE "FCBA" NO LATER THAN
THURSDAY, MARCH 6 TO:

Federal Communications Bar Association
Congressional Reception
1020 19th Street, N.W.
Suite 325
Washington, D.C. 20036-6101
Phone: (202) 293-4000
Fax: (202) 293-4317
E-mail: [email-masked]

Phone registrations will not be accepted.
No tickets will be mailed. Reservations will be confirmed at the Registration Desk at the
Reception.

Cancellation Policy: Due to the nature of this event, no refunds will be given for
cancellations.

Calendar

March 6  Foundation Board of Trustees Meeting
March 7  Wireless Telecommunications and International Practice Committees Luncheon
March 11  6th biennial FCBA Congressional Reception, U.S. Capitol, Washington, D.C.
March 11  Professional Responsibility Committee Brown Bag Lunch
March 12  Young Lawyers Committee Brown Bag Lunch
March 13  Common Carrier Brown Bag Lunch
March 18  Mass Media Practice Committee Brown Bag Lunch
March 18  Executive Committee Meeting
March 20  Texas Chapter Brown Bag Lunch
March 20  New York Chapter Discussion on Media Ownership Rules
March 20  YLC Happy Hour at Savino's
March 26  Corporate Mentorship Brown Bag Lunch at Verizon
March 27  CLE Seminar
March 28  Cable and Legislation Committee Brown Bag Lunch
March 23  Volunteer for McKenna's Wagon
March 30  Volunteer for Martha's Table for "Radio Day"
April 3  Mentoring Reception, Washington, D.C.
April 3  Corporate Mentorship Brown Bag Lunch at CTIA
April 6  ABA/NAB/ FCBA Seminar, Las Vegas, NV
May 1-2  Computer Law Association Conference, Washington, D.C.
May 2-4  FCBA Annual Seminar at the Homestead Resort, Hot Springs, VA
May 7  ABA International Section Spring Meeting  Internet and E-Commerce Session
June 16  Annual Honorable Robert E. Lee Memorial Golf Tournament, Bull Run, Haymarket, VA

June 25  FCBA Annual Meeting and Luncheon with guest, FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell

Briefs and Masthead

The Password?

Many of you have noticed that while trying to log into the FCBA's Online Membership
Directory:
www.fcba.org/directory_login.shtml, that a password is required. The password can be
located every month on page two of
the FCBA News, and will appear at the bottom of the masthead. The masthead is the box
containing the list of the FCBA's
Executive Committee members. The password changes on the 10th of every month.

The Internet and E-Commerce: A Primer for Establishing a Global Business in Cyberspace

The Online Communications Committee in association with the ABA International Section will
be holding a meeting in
Washington, D.C., May 7, from 11:00 a.m. until 12:40 p.m. Mayflower Hotel.

The Internet and E-Commerce: A Primer for Establishing a Global Business in
Cyberspace-Your client is starting an
e-commerce business and asks for advice on the opportunities and pitfalls of operating a
global business in cyberspace. Among
the issues to be discussed are: domain names, privacy requirements, cyber-security,
electronic signatures, payments, and
intellectual property.

Presenters so far, include:

     Michelle O'Neill, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Information Technology,
International Trade Administration, U.S.
     Department of Commerce (invited)
     James Powers, General Counsel and Vice President, Privacy & Regulatory Affairs,
ComScore Networks, Inc.
     Jose I. Rojas, Partner, Concepcion Rojas & Santos, Miami

For more information and to register, please call 202-662-1727 or contact:
http://www.abanet.org/intlaw/
home.html.

FCLJ 10th Anniversary

The Federal Communications Law Journal is celebrating its tenth year of publication at
Indiana University School of
Law-Bloomington. This special anniversary is being marked this month with a speaker series
presented by the Journal with
support from the school's administration.

The series, highlighting the inter-section of law and communications, will hopefully offer
something interesting to all students,
both in the law school and across the university. It will cover the topic areas of
entertainment, journalism, intellectual property
and telecommunication regulation. Please visit the FCLJ's Website at
http://www.law.indiana.edu/fclj/ for more information.

Federal Communications Bar Association

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/