Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Mis-Conceptions-

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:07:55 -0500

Nextel Mis-Conceptions-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 From: Joe Leikhim ([email-masked])
 Subject: Re: What am I missing?
 Date: 2003-03-22 11:05:33 PST

Bob;
The NEXTEL radios will only work when each are in range of NEXTEL towers. The
term "direct connect" is a misnomer. They do not have simplex/talk-around
capability, nor will they operate with a conventional repeater. They are TDMA
only no FM capability is offered in those radios. Although the technology
exists to combine these modes, due to their respective marketing strategies,
Motorola and NEXTEL have chosen not to offer a radio with these combined
functions.

Public Safety radios are supposed to meet APCO-16 standards at a minimum.
APCO-16 requires (among other things) the radios to be capable of operating on
conventional simplex (talk around) and duplex (repeater) modes in addition to
trunked modes. This is for interoperability purposes and to a lesser extent
provides back up communications in the event users are out of range of the
"system" or the tower fails.

Public Safety systems are constructed to provide a level of equipment
redundancy and signal reliability that would not be economical to the
commercial market which NEXTEL serves.

NEXTEL radios should NOT be used for public safety communications (I will
probably get flamed for saying this).

Joe

Robert Lyons wrote:

> (snip)
>
> I got one private response who claimed that these things don't even relay
> through a cell tower that they are true two-way radios. Sounds wrong to
> me, though - it was my understanding that they claim a 300 *mile* radius
> of operation. There's no way that would be true for handheld microwave
> devices unless they use a tower-based relay (or a whole network of them).
>
> Can anyone confirm whether the two-way radio feature operates via relay
> tower? or whether these devices are *capable* of direct unit-to-unit
> communications?
>
> On a related vein, are many current police two-way radios capable of direct
> car-to-car communications? Do they generally depend on a central repeater?
> Are they completely out of luck when the central tower goes down? or are
> some police systems more flexible and failure-resistant?
>
> Bob, KI8AB

--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/