Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Parents prep for terror

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 06:39:50 -0500

Parents prep for terror

by Lauren Beckham Falcone
Friday, March 21, 2003

Now that a war against Iraq has begun, parents who were once ambivalent about
setting up emergency plans are preparing their families for possible terrorist
attacks in the United States.

``We hoped (the war) wouldn't happen,'' said Shalu Ramachandran, 30, of
Burlington, who has a 4-year-old daughter. ``But we can't deny it now. (My
husband and I) haven't talked about a plan, but we will.''

The government certainly encourages it. Aside from elevating the terrorist threat
level to orange and suggesting that retaliation on U.S. soil is a strong possibility,
the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Web site, www.ready.gov, urges
Americans to prepare for the worst.

Some suggestions include securing an out-of-state contact for all family
members to call, making sure everyone has coins or a prepaid calling card, and
urging parents to ask about emergency plans at work, day-care centers and schools.

Many schools are already prepared. Earlier this month, administrators at Boston Public
Schools mailed parents an
extensive letter on emergency procedures, and more recently sent an inter-office memo to
staff requesting, among
other things, that their Nextel phones be charged at all times and to read their e-mail
every day.

Brockton High School Superintendent Joseph Bage hasn't been inundated with phone calls
from worried parents,
but has emergency plans in place if a disaster strikes. ``We take security very
seriously,'' Bage said.

Still, Bage said procedures could change at any time.

``The situation is so fluid, something could happen tomorrow and change the minds of
everyone today,'' he said.

For Kerri Torres, 38, of Newton, discussing wartime plans with her two sons, ages 6 and 8,
has been a lesson in
restraint.

``It's a pretty sensitive subject and we've brought it up in general terms,'' Torres said.
``We've talked about a plan if
something were to happen here.''

Torres said the Newton Public School system has been forthcoming in its emergency plans ,
which makes her
rest easier.

``It makes me feel incredibly secure, if somewhat deficient, because they have it all
under control and I have no
idea what I'm doing,'' she said.

As long as Torres and other parents remain calm, their children likely will remain
emotionally stable in a time of
crisis, experts said.

``If Mom and Dad are in control, it enhances the child's sense of security,'' said Russell
T. Jones, professor of
psychology at Virginia Polytech Institute and State University.

For Torres, the thought of mapping out a wartime emergency plan makes her feel, above all
else, heartbroken.

``I feel incredibly sorry for (the children),'' she said. ``Their innocence has been taken
from them so early. I was in
my 20s before I knew what terrorism was. They're in elementary school.''
http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/kids03212003.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/