Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Drama Unfolds over scanner

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 22:00:29 -0500

3-9-2003

Drama Unfolds over scanner
By Karen Madden
Central Wisconsin Sunday

TOWN OF STRONGS PRAIRIE - For several hours Friday, Adams County residents with scanners
sat listening to a drama rarely heard by the public outside of television crime shows.
Thomas Kramer, 54, who allegedly shot and killed Deputy Michael Shannon, 32, took
Shannon's portable radio after he was shot and spoke with Sheriff's Department officials,
who tried to persuade him to give himself up.  "I pretty much heard the whole conversation
on the scanner," said Lin Burdock, Strongs Prairie. "It's pretty much all anybody is
talking about."

Adams County Sheriff Roberta Sindelar said most people in the county have scanners.
"That's their No. 1 entertainment," she said. Shortly before 11 a.m. Friday, the sheriff's
department received a call of an armed subject making threatening statements to highway
workers who were clearing brush near the property line in the 1800 block of Czech Avenue
in the town of Strongs Prairie.

Shannon, who was first on the scene, confronted the man, and gunfire was exchanged. The
deputy, employed with the department since September 1995, was shot. Other responding
deputies removed him from the scene.  The wounded deputy was then transported to Adams
County Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

At about 11:45 a.m., area residents listening to law enforcement calls over their scanners
heard a different voice: It was Kramer. The suspect was using the deputy's portable radio
from inside his home.

When an Adams County dispatcher asked Kramer to contact the department by phone, Kramer
told them he didn't have one. So for more than an hour, residents heard officers try to
talk Kramer out of his residence.  "We need to get your side of things," said Chief Deputy
Alex Bebris. "You can come on out, and we'll sit down and try to work this out."
Kramer asked to speak to Deputy Larry Warren, former Adams County sheriff. "Tom, we've
been neighbors a long time," Warren said. "How about coming out and talking to me."

However, Kramer insisted Warren come to his mobile home to talk. "I guarantee you won't be
hurt," Kramer said to Warren over the radio.

Kramer said he was going outside to make a citizen's arrest of the town workers when the
deputy confronted him.
"He pulled a gun and shot first, and I flinched," Kramer said. "I had no intention of
hurting the guy." After more than an hour of radio conversation, the battery in Kramer's
radio started to run out, making conversation difficult. Officials worked most of the
afternoon to make arrangements to get a phone to Kramer.  Just after 5:30 p.m., tactical
officers in an armored vehicle brought him a phone and were able to take him into custody.

Sindelar said the department has the conversation on tape, adding that she didn't think
having it broadcast over the scanner hindered the situation.
"That's evidence," Sindelar said. "I'm sure it will help us."

• n n
The following is a portion of the dialogue between the suspect, Thomas Kramer, former
Adams County sheriff Larry Warren and Chief Deputy Alex Bebris:

Bebris: "I give you my personal promise, if you don't come out with a gun, no one will
shoot you." Kramer: "I had no intention of hurting someone, but that's what happens when
you shoot at someone. I was ready to do a citizens arrest."
"Bebris: The only way we can find all this out is if we can sit down and talk with you."
Kramer: "I got no bone to pick with you ... You can come in here to talk to me." Bebris:
"Tom, you're going to have to be the one who comes out to talk to us. I'll give you my
personal promise, no one is going to hurt you, but you're the one who needs to talk to us
about this. Deputy Warren would say the same thing."
Later,
Kramer: "I aint got no gun right now."
Warren: "Leave the weapons out, and hold your hands out so I can see you. Tommy, walk out
to the car and let me see your hands, and I'll come out to talk to you."
Kramer: "I've got no bone to pick with you, Larry, just your department."
Warren: "I know you don't, and you've always listened to me before."
Later,
Warren: "Tom, you hear me? Where are you now? Why aren't you in front of your driveway so
I can talk to you?
There are no TV cameras here..."
Kramer: "I want cameras here now. It's the only way I can trust you guys."
Warren: "Tom, as long as you've known me, you're telling me you can't trust me now?"
Kramer: "It's not you, it's your friends I don't trust."

http://www.wisinfo.com/journal/spjlocal/278826200031962.shtml

--
"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1
"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2
"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/