Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: I could not help it

From: "Richard E. Willimon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:31:05 -0500

I was not aware nextels system supported the group of advanced
features(isolated site operation, status messaging,dynamic
regrouping,emergency-talkgroup,etc...)...Marcel, do you have any info?

I also did not know that nextel activated units using a priority
status...this is news...how is their network configured to achieve priority
status for public safety vs. business ??? anybody just jump right in...

 Richard E. Willimon

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Andrew Seybold [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 6:47 PM
  Subject:  I could not help it

  Sorry, folks but I have been researching the new Nextel "public safety
offering" for an upcoming article-I just had to snip out a piece of their
press materials and provide it to you for your interest-read the following
paragraph carefully:

  "Priority Access allows designated public safety dispatch calls to receive
a higher priority, increasing the likelihood that Nextel Direct Connect(R) -
the incredibly powerful long-range walkie-talkie feature - and Emergency
Group Connect calls will go through during times of potential network
congestion."

  The part I like the best is that if you use their public safety system you
are "increasing the likelihood" that your Direct Connect will get through.

  The next thing is that this special phone, the r750plus AFU has a BRB
(that is Big Red Button) on it that permits a user to broadcast a message to
an entire group-and the words EMERGENCY flash on the screen to let everyone
know that it is an EMERGENCY transmission-guess that ANY transmission to a
group is an emergency.

  They do position the products and services as secondary to a public safety
agencies own communications system but it sure sounds as if they should have
talked to a few of you on this board before writing their press and
marketing materials-and, in fact before specing out the services for use by
the public safety community.

  Just a few random thoughts for the day.

  Best Regards,

  Andy Seybold

  Outlook 4Mobility

  www.outlook4mobility.com

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 06:03:39 -0500

Rich,

Geeezzzzeeee where do people get all this Mis-information about Nextel?

Nextel DOES NOT fully support all of the AFU's capabilities. Optional advanced feature
package is required for the Infrastructure and Handsets.

Nextel used NYC & Wash as beta markets. Nextel had several problems with Advanced Features
at the switch end, apparently the Dispatch Visited Location Register (D-VLR) was missing a
data set for several of AFU's which caused problems while out of their market.

The "Status Messaging" feature failed to work properly on 4 different occasions. Nextel
blamed Moto and Moto blamed nextel (My money is on the Moto guy I know him he is
meticulous with instructions).

AFU's IMEI's must be "Flagged" in the dispatch provisioning databases on the DAP so the
may use the "Advanced Features" according to the what I'm reading in the DAP manual. A
Group Identifier is used to subdivide fleets into logical units.

One fleet member is always the dispatcher (User 0) and is a member of all groups. Other
users in the fleet are assigned to groups based on organization, function, task or some
other fleet related method. The type and number of groups within a fleet are fleet
specific.

Nextel may configure each MS in the fleet with specific operating limits so a user will
hear only the conversations and announcements that relate to the members of the same
group.

Any MS may be part of more the one talk group. An end-user may change the default talk
group as required if the service provider allows this in provisioning and the MS can
support it. An MS cannot be in more than one group at the same time. Using these
parameters & others Nextel is able to distinguish between "Business" and "Government"
users.

Some of the other Advanced Features-

Simultaneous Talk group-

The Multiple Simultaneous Talk-group (MST) is an optional feature associated with MSs with
advanced feature. An Advanced Feature Unit (AFU) MS and the Advanced Feature software are
required to support MST.

MST allows an MS to be part of up to four groups in the same fleet. This allows a user to
monitor and participate with groups other than the MS’ currently registered group. The MS
can use a mode switch to change its current (selected) group. One group is Selected and
the others (up to 3) groups are Associated. There can only be
one Selected group per mode switch setting. Associated talkgroups for all modes can also
be toggled On/Off.

Emergency Call-

An Emergency Call is an option. This is a special situation of a Wide Area Dispatch Group
Call that is given the highest priority. The priority allocates resources for the call, as
well as preempts existing calls and call requests.  An Emergency Call is used to alert all
members of the group of an emergency initiated by a user. An emergency call is handled
before any other call and is intended to announce and open a line of communication in a
dangerous situation.  For users with an Advanced Feature Unit (AFU) MS, a button on the MS
generates an Emergency Call. This option is provisioned in the DAP. The request triggers a
new call, or causes an in-progress call to be elevated to Emergency status. Except for the
priority, the FNE processes an Emergency call like a Dispatch Group Call. An Emergency
Call can also be terminated at any time by the initiator or another user with an MS
provisioned override the status. An optional advanced feature package is required for the
Infrastructure to process Emergency Calls.

ISO-

Isolated Site Operation (ISO) allows group call communications to continue
within a single cell site when connectivity to the network is lost by allowing the
cell to operate in a local, one cell only mode. ISO is limited to dispatch
talkgroup calls only. In all modes the display will update to include “-Isoft” on
the first line. Talkgroup communications will be limited to only those units that
are connected to the ISO cell, and only on the talkgroup or Talkgroup Mode that
the subscriber unit last used before the cell entered the ISO state.

Entering ISO
The portable will enter the ISO state when its cell becomes isolated from the
network, assuming the portable has no available neighbor cells. It will display
one of the following screens: (The LED indicator is off in ISO unless the unit is
transmitting. While transmitting, the LED will be green.)

NOTE: If the portable is powered on in an ISO cell, it will enter the ISO state if
there are no available neighbor cells.

There are still some glitches that need to be worked out. As you know Soco has been
supporting Advanced Features since 1995, their small team of Engineers has done a lot of
the leg work for Moto over the years on AFU and other issues.  They have AF down to a
science. Nextel will just have to make mistakes and try again, I just hope no one gets
killed while they "Perfect" their offering. iDEN is not a tool for Public Safety due to
its high Network and Handset Vulnerability.

Most of the info above came from:

Provisioning DAP ADC and Billing Interface 68P81130E99

DAP Operator Manual 68P81131E03

DAP Software Dev Manual 68P81130E44

--- In [email-masked], "Richard E. Willimon"

<rwillimon@m...> wrote:
> regrouping,emergency-talkgroup,etc...)...Marcel, do you have any

info?
> status...this is news...how is their network configured to achieve

priority
> status for public safety vs. business ??? anybody just jump right

in...
>   From: Andrew Seybold [mailto:andy@o...]
>   Sorry, folks but I have been researching the new Nextel "public

safety
> offering" for an upcoming article-I just had to snip out a piece of

their
> press materials and provide it to you for your interest-read the

following
> paragraph carefully:
>
>   "Priority Access allows designated public safety dispatch calls to

receive
> a higher priority, increasing the likelihood that Nextel Direct

Connect(R) -
> the incredibly powerful long-range walkie-talkie feature - and

Emergency
> Group Connect calls will go through during times of potential

network
> congestion."
>
>   The part I like the best is that if you use their public safety

system you
> are "increasing the likelihood" that your Direct Connect will get

through.
>
>   The next thing is that this special phone, the r750plus AFU has a

BRB
> (that is Big Red Button) on it that permits a user to broadcast a

message to
> an entire group-and the words EMERGENCY flash on the screen to let

everyone
> know that it is an EMERGENCY transmission-guess that ANY

transmission to a
> group is an emergency.
>
>   They do position the products and services as secondary to a

public safety
> agencies own communications system but it sure sounds as if they

should have
> marketing materials-and, in fact before specing out the services for

use by

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG