Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel and Aether Announce Availability of Aether PocketBlue Wireless Public Safety Application on Nextel Handsets

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:39:58 -0500

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030305/55288_1.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.

Nextel and Aether Announce Availability of Aether PocketBlue Wireless Public Safety Application on Nextel Handsets
Wednesday March 5, 9:06 am ET

Nextel's Integration of Application Provides Secure, Wireless Access to Criminal Database Information, Silent Messaging and Other Capabilities

RESTON, Va. & OWINGS MILLS, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 5, 2003--
Nextel Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) and Aether Systems, Inc.
(NASDAQ:AETH - News) today announced the availability of Aether's wireless
data solutions for public safety on Nextel's i95cl Java(TM)
technology-enabled handsets and Nextel's iM1100. Aether PocketBlue(TM)
enables law enforcement officers and other authorized personnel to
wirelessly query local, state and federal criminal information and
motor vehicle databases, record data from field interviews and
interact with 911 dispatcher personnel.

ADVERTISEMENT

PocketBlue(TM) is the latest addition to Nextel's Wireless
Solutions for Public Safety that help organizations improve
inter-agency communications and productivity by addressing real-time
needs through faster exchange of information.

Aether PocketBlue(TM), which runs on Nextel's nationwide digital
packet data network, is part of a fully integrated mobile data system,
providing wireless criminal database queries, secure messaging and
alarm capabilities for all connected authorized mobile users.

The handheld solution integrates seamlessly with Aether
PacketCluster(TM), which provides officers in vehicles with real-time
silent communication through text messaging. PacketCluster(TM) is
available on Windows-based laptops and can be network-connected
through a tethered Nextel i95cl handset or Nextel iM1100.

Both PocketBlue(TM) and PacketCluster(TM) integrate with existing
communication and data systems within public safety departments,
enhancing agency interoperability. The applications are supported in
47 states and provide direct, secure access to databases including the
National Crime Information Center.

Today's announcement is part of Nextel's continued commitment to
provide instant, interoperable, reliable and secure communications for
the public safety community. Nextel leads the industry in providing
its public safety customers with Wireless Solutions for Public Safety
that increase the productivity of the mobile workforce.

Bringing to market an enterprise-strength wireless platform,
Nextel allows public safety organizations to extend their reach by
enhancing interoperability and control. Nextel's wireless solutions
combine a rich array of applications, services, partnerships, a
reliable network, 4-in-1 wireless service (including digital cellular,
Nextel Direct Connect® the powerful long-range digital walkie-talkie
feature, Two-Way Messaging and Wireless Web), and customer support.

"This technology on Nextel handsets provides access to critical
information within seconds that improves the overall efficiency
between the patrol officer, supervisor and dispatchers," said Leon
Frazier, Nextel's vice president, public sector. "Both of these
applications complement Nextel's Direct Connect service which provides
instant access and is already one of the most valuable means of
communications for our nation's first responders."

"The combination of Nextel's nationwide network and the market
leadership of Aether's public safety products, installed in over 1,000
public safety agencies with over 60,000 users, delivers a powerful
solution for any local, state or federal agency charged with
protecting the public," said Mike Mancuso, president of Aether Mobile
Government Division. "We are excited about going to market with Nextel
and leveraging the strengths of our products to the benefit of public
safety agencies across the country. Today's announcement also
complements Aether's recent announcement of strategic relationships
with EDS and Sun Microsystems, building upon our strategy to partner
with technology leaders to extend the reach of our products and
services."

PocketBlue(TM) and PacketCluster(TM) may be purchased directly
from Nextel. For more information about service plans and pricing
please contact your local Nextel or Aether sales representative.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully-integrated wireless voice and data
communications services including Nextel Direct Connect®--the
long-range digital walkie-talkie feature; high quality digital
cellular services; Nextel Online® wireless data content and business
solutions; and two-way messaging services.

Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc. have built the largest guaranteed
all-digital wireless network covering 197 of the top 200 U.S. markets.
Nextel's wireless voice and packet data communications services are
available today in areas of the U.S. where approximately 240 million
people live or work.

About Aether Systems

Aether Systems delivers wireless and mobile data solutions that
make people more productive and their organizations more profitable.
Aether's products and services are built on Aether Fusion, the
company's standards-based platform that allows for secure, reliable
extension of critical information to virtually any wireless or mobile
environment.

Return on investment in Aether solutions comes from a unique
combination of strengths - quick access to multiple back-end
information sources, workflow that is optimized for specific
industries, and turnkey deployment services and professional support.
Backed by years of in-market expertise, Aether is making it possible
for thousands of businesses and government agencies to unleash the
power of the mobile workforce.

For more information, please visit www.aethersystems.com.

Contact:

Nextel Communications, Inc., Reston
Media Contact:
Roni Singleton, 703/433-3109
[email-masked]
or
Aether Systems, Inc.
Media Contact:
Julie Garand, 508/460-4036
[email-masked]

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Taste the Gevalia difference! Get a FREE coffeemaker & 2 mugs

·

SBC Yahoo! Dial - Get 1st month free.

·

Fast, Easy, & FREE Tax Preparation!

·

SBC Yahoo! DSL $34.95/month for a year.

·

Planning to Sell or Buy a Home this Spring?

·

Find Old Friends at Classmates.com

·

LendingTree - Let Banks Compete for You!

·

Fast Tax Refund! File online with TurboTax® For the WebSM

·

Find a Credit Card NOW! eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

·

Hide Your Tracks Download internetwasher.com only $79.95!

Related
Quotes

AETH
NXTL

3.10
11.10

0.00
0.00

News
News

View Detailed Quotes
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

NTL Names Ex-Nextel Exec as Chairman - Reuters (8:07 am)

·

NTL names ex-Nextel exec as chairman - Reuters (7:17 am)

·

[audio] Price Headley's Sectors to Watch [1.2 min] - ON24 (Tue Mar 11)

·

[external] Nokia impact muted, S&P futures hold gains - at CBS MarketWatch (Tue Mar 11)

More...

·

By
industry:
Computers, Internet, Publishing, Software, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Stocks to Watch Wednesday - Reuters (8:32 am)

·

Stocks Look Set to Fall; FTSE, Iraq Weigh - Reuters (7:49 am)

·

Sports Authority Quarterly Profit Up - Reuters (5:28 am)

·

Mortgage Re-Fi Applications Hit Record - Reuters (7:15 am)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.