Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Optimism pervades wireless trade show

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:29:38 -0500

Optimism pervades wireless trade show

By Brian Bergstein, Associated Press, 3/17/2003

EW ORLEANS -- Maybe it's because wireless technologies seem magical,
filling the air with unseen vibrations that mean something.

What else can explain the
optimism pervading one of
the industry's most
important gatherings as
war looms and many
companies still struggle to
make money from wireless
wonders?

Companies from
Accenture to Ztango have
wireless breakthroughs to
show off this week at the
18th annual CTIA
Wireless 2003 in New
Orleans, a trade show suffused with the notion that the Next Big Thing will be
anything that lets people better use technology while they're mobile. The biggest
buzz surrounds the wireless networking technology known as WiFi and myriad
methods of making mobile devices more appealing to ''road warrior'' business
users.

Other hot topics include ways to let people roam between WiFi and cellphone
networks as they surf the Web and check e-mail on the fly; expansion of
''push-to-talk'' walkie-talkie services that Nextel pioneered and rivals are copying;
new uses of short text messages over phones; and more options for stuffing
cellphones with games, pictures, and songs.

The show, which runs today through Wednesday, includes keynote speeches from
Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell and cable mogul
Ted Turner. Nearly 800 exhibitors are expected, though some international
companies have pulled out in fear that a US invasion of Iraq would disrupt travel.

While tons of attention will surround all things WiFi, exhibitors will be pressed to
explain their business model. So far, that has been unclear -- especially because the
technology runs on unlicensed frequencies so anybody can deploy it.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/076/business/Optimism_pervades_wireless_trade_show+.shtml

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/