Subject: [NEXTEL-1] What's New @ IEEE in Communications, March 2003

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 22:17:59 -0500

WHAT'S NEW @ IEEE IN COMMUNICATIONS

VOLUME 4          NUMBER 3         MARCH 2003

An HTML version of this newsletter can be viewed on our online
archive at <http://www.ieee.org/products/whats-new/wncomm0303.htm>

CONTENTS:
1. Extending Broadband's Reach
2. Optical Wireless Communications Focus of IEEE Communications Magazine
3. IEEE Bandwidth Management Workshop Comes to Ontario
4. Home Networking Products Get Boost from Broadband Users
5. Time-Slot Interchange Is On Your Side
6. Digital Audio's Final Frontier: IEEE Spectrum Reports
7. IEEE Societies Offer Access To More Than 500 Lecturers Worldwide
8. Now Available in IEEE Xplore: IEEE Security and Privacy Magazine
9. IEEE Members Have Options for Accessing Technical Information Online
10. IEEE Approves Start of New Standard for Wire Message Networks

*********************************************
WHAT'S NEW THIS WEEK IN IEEE XPLORE?
Find the latest technical papers online:
<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/weekinfo.jsp>
*********************************************

1. EXTENDING BROADBAND'S REACH
Cable and telecom companies, as well as standards bodies, are working to
upgrade the performance of digital subscriber lines (DSLs) and cable
modems, the two most popular broadband technologies for U.S. households
according to an article in IEEE Spectrum. The article predicts that in
coming months, both technologies will be dramatically improved by methods
that utilize unused bandwidth. To see how they plan on achieving this
enhanced service, visit:
<http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/mar03/wondsl.html>

NEW BROADBAND COMMUNICATIONS PROCEEDINGS RELEASE: The proceedings of the
2002 International Zurich Seminar on Broadband Communications: Accessing,
Transmission, Networking are now available from the IEEE Online Catalog &
Store. Topics covered include 3rd & 4th generation wide area mobile radio,
multimedia & mobile satellite systems, xDSL, high mobility in networking
architecture and protocols, and much more. Visit:
<http://shop.ieee.org/store/product.asp?prodno=TH8599>
***What's New Special - Use Code WNI for 15% Off - order instructions
below***

2. OPTICAL WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS FOCUS OF IEEE COMMUNICATIONS MAGAZINE
The March issue of IEEE Communications Magazine contains a special feature
on Optical Wireless Communications that aims to give an overview of this
technology and the research efforts currently underway. This feature topic
starts by giving an overview of optical wireless systems and networks,
delves into the design of high-speed integrated transceivers, and reviews
an analysis of diversity receivers and multiple subcarrier modulation. This
issue presents five peer-reviewed papers. The guest editorial is accessible
to all readers at:
<http://www.comsoc.org/livepubs/ci1/Public/2003/Mar/ciguest_elmirghani.html>

IEEE Communications Society members can access all of the articles listed
at:
<http://www.comsoc.org/livepubs/ci1/Public/2003/mar/index.html>

IEEE online subscribers can access these articles via IEEE Xplore at:
<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/RecentIssue.jsp?puNumber=35>

3. IEEE BANDWIDTH MANAGEMENT WORKSHOP COMES TO ONTARIO
The tenth IEEE Bandwidth Management Workshop will be held at
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada from 23 to 26 June 2003. Bandwidth
management has become a critical part of communication networks as bit
rates grow, services evolve, and technology develops. Bandwidth Management
Workshop 10 is intended to provide attendees with industry updates on new
technologies, recent experiences in interconnecting and managing bandwidth
in today's networks, and on the evolution path of bandwidth management
technologies in the global telecommunications industry. To register, visit:
<http://www.ieeebmwx.org/>

IEEE sponsors more than 300 technical conferences and workshops each year,
highlighting the latest technological advances. Find events through
the IEEE ConferenceSearch Web site at
<http://www.ieee.org/conferencesearch/>

MORE IN TELECOM MANAGEMENT FROM IEEE: In "The MIS and LAN Manager's Guide
to Advanced Telecommunication," a book from IEEE Press and John Wiley &
Sons, the authors examine the technologies, devices, and equipment commonly
used by telecommunications carriers. The text provides the MIS or network
manager with a comprehensive view of emerging telecommunications
technologies, current networking technology for information systems, and
detailed information on how to implement useful solutions. To purchase or
find more information, visit:
<http://www.wiley.com/remtitleinternational.cgi?isbn=0769500994>
***IEEE members: Receive a 15% discount on any Wiley-IEEE Press titles. Use
code 18493 at checkout***

4. HOME NETWORKING PRODUCTS GET BOOST FROM BROADBAND USERS
As dial-up users moved to high-speed broadband connections in 2002, an
increase in home networking equipment has followed, according to a report
from research firm In-Stat/MDR. The firm reports that home networking
products could be found in 10 percent of U.S. households in 2002, a
2-percent increase from the previous year. The majority of the consumers
surveyed used Ethernet networks, although many were considering installing
a wireless network.
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-985137.html>

5. TIME-SLOT INTERCHANGE IS ON YOUR SIDE
Advanced time-slot interchangers (TSIs) have become a low-cost longevity
solution extending time-division-multiplexed (TDM) networks to meet
next-generation performance needs, according to a recent article in EE
Times' Comms Design community site. This type of next-generation adaptation
may enable TDM circuit-switched architectures to continue to coexist with
packet switching technologies. Read more:
<http://www.commsdesign.com/design_corner/OEG20030303S0027>

6. DIGITAL AUDIO'S FINAL FRONTIER: IEEE SPECTRUM REPORTS
Analog technology still dominates in audio power amplifiers - but not for
long. Amps based on digital principles are already having a profound effect
on equipment efficiency and size. They are also beginning to set the
standard for sound quality. Known as Class D amplifiers, these devices have
the potential to waste very little power. In the March issue of IEEE
Spectrum, Bruno Putzeys of Philips Digital Systems Laboratories, describes
Class D amps and explains in detail how they differ from conventional amps,
as well as discusses technical problems they have faced, and shows how
these problems have been solved in the past and the different ways they are
likely to be solved in the future. Read more:
<http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/mar03/dig.html>

7. IEEE SOCIETIES OFFER ACCESS TO MORE THAN 500 LECTURERS WORLDWIDE
The IEEE Distinguished Lecturer Program, offered by 32 IEEE Societies, now
provides access to more than 500 lecturers worldwide. The program assists
IEEE Sections and Chapters in planning higher quality programs for their
membership and in educating IEEE members. To find out more about the IEEE
Distinguished Lecturer Program, or to receive a list of lecturers available
from a particular technical field or IEEE Society, visit:
<http://www.ieee.org/organizations/tab/cialectweb2.html>

8. NOW AVAILABLE IN IEEE XPLORE: IEEE SECURITY AND PRIVACY MAGAZINE
The first issue of IEEE Security and Privacy Magazine, one of three new
IEEE periodicals launching in 2003, is now available online in IEEE Xplore.
While the focus of Security & Privacy is information technology, the
magazine also covers the evolving relationships of computer security to
transportation, financial, commercial, military, health care, energy and
other critical infrastructures. IEEE members and institutional subscribers
with appropriate online access rights can view all of the articles from the
magazine's first issue through IEEE Xplore. If users' access rights do not
include this publication, access to individual articles can also purchased.
Visit:
<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/RecentIssue.jsp?puNumber=8013>

In the inaugural issue, of IEEE Security & Privacy Magazine, experts Simson
Garfinkel and Abhi Shelat of MIT discuss the issue of discarded hard drives
that still contain recoverable, often confidential information. The article
is freely available to all readers for a limited time at:
<http://www.computer.org/security/v1n1/garfinkel.htm>

9. IEEE MEMBERS HAVE OPTIONS FOR ACCESSING TECHNICAL INFORMATION ONLINE
How many different ways can IEEE Members access technical information
online? Many more than they may be aware. There are a variety of options
for members to consider when they conduct their research, whether it be
patent or article research, competitive intelligence, syllabi creation or
any other research task.
   * First, as a benefit of IEEE membership, all IEEE members are entitled
to search and view abstracts of all articles in IEEE Xplore.
<http://www.ieee.org/ieeexplore>
   * When a member locates an IEEE article within IEEE Xplore they would
like to purchase, they can now do so instantly. Members may purchase an
IEEE document through IEEE Xplore for $13 per article. Non-members pay $35.
   * For other research materials, such as IEE documents or other
publishers' papers, IEEE members may access the electronic or print files
at a discount through the IEEE document delivery partner program, Ask*IEEE.
For more information visit:
<http://www.ieee.org/askieee>
   * Finally, IEEE Members who conduct frequent online research may choose
to subscribe to the IEEE Member Digital Library, which offers access to
more than 329,000 papers from IEEE journals and conference proceedings
published over the last five years. For more information, visit:
<http://www.ieee.org/ieeemdl>

10. IEEE APPROVES START OF NEW STANDARD FOR WIRE MESSAGING NETWORKS
The IEEE Standards Association Standards Board has approved work to begin
on IEEE P1640(TM), "Standard for Wireless Messaging Networks," to foster
interoperability among various end uses. Work was also begun on amendments
to the IEEE 802.11(TM) wireless local area network (LAN) standard regarding
5 GHz operation in Japan and higher levels of radio measurement, as well as
on an amendment to the IEEE 802.15.3(TM) wireless personal area network
standard to support a less complex, less expensive physical layer. For more
information, visit:
<http://standards.ieee.org/announcements/p1640app.html>

***WHAT'S NEW @ IEEE SPECIAL - 15% OFF SELECT IEEE PRODUCTS LISTED IN THIS
ISSUE!***
As a thank you to WHAT'S NEW @ IEEE subscribers, our readers receive a
15-percent discount on the purchase of any of the specially noted books and
conference proceedings listed in this newsletter. When ordering from the
IEEE Online Catalog & Store, located at <http://shop.ieee.org>, include the
code WNI in the special instructions field at "final checkout." If ordering
by phone, provide the code WNI to your customer service representative.
Offer expires on 31 Dec. 2003.

Terms & Conditions: Discount applicable only to items noted in this
newsletter and only to orders placed directly with the IEEE. Orders placed
through resellers are not eligible for the What's New 15% discount. Coupons
cannot be combined with any other offer. What's New 15% discount does not
apply to IEEE Press and John Wiley & Sons Inc. partnership titles, however,
IEEE members receive a 15% discount on Wiley-IEEE Press titles purchased at
the Wiley.com Web site.

**********************************************************************

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/