Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Remember Who is Talking Tommy & Timmy-"Wireless Investment Up Nearly 21% ???

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:49:15 -0500

Read with caution......

Remember Who is Talking Tommy & Timmy.

With the industry driving down Capex I wonder who is incresing their budget?
It was not Nextel........

Timmy Said:

"Wireless Investment Up Nearly 21% -- Wireless carriers reported $126.9 billion in total
cumulative capital investment as of December 2002 -- up 20.8%, from $105 billion, as of
December 2001." (speaking  about all wireless carriers)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We know Nextel did not participate in the Capex increase.

Timmy also Said:

"Capital expenditures for full-year 2002 were $1.86 billion, down 22% from $ 2.38 billion
in
2001." (speaking specifially about Nextel)

http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030220/0719000437_4.html

So the million dollar or should I say the billion dollar question who or whom increased
capex by $20 Billion?
Sounds like some EBITDA (Earning Before I Trick The Dumb Auditors) math going on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 17, 2003 04:15 PM  EST, Eastern US

Wireless Industry: Defying Economic Trends with Growth and Investment

NEW ORLEANS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 17, 2003--Tom Wheeler, President and CEO of the
Cellular Telecommunications &
Internet Association (CTIA), and Tim Donahue, President and CEO of Nextel Communications
and Chairman of the Board of CTIA,
today announced a range of wireless metrics from the Day One keynote stage of CTIA
WIRELESS 2003 in New Orleans.

"Let's start with an industry that had almost 141 million subscribers at the end of 2002,"
said Wheeler. "That's about 10% growth
since December 2001, at the same time other telecom segments are losing ground."

"During 2002 total wireless minutes of use increased 36% over 2001! And in the last six
months of 2002 individual wireless
subscribers' usage grew faster than in the first six months," added Donahue.

Wheeler and Donahue also exulted at the expansion of the wireless data market. "The growth
in wireless data revenue suggests that
we are on track for data revenue in 2003 easily in excess of $1 billion," said Wheeler.

"For the last six months of 2002 the wireless industry did almost half a billion dollars
in non-voice data revenue. From December '01
to December '02 data revenue grew by 33%," added Donahue.

Total Six-Month Service Revenues Rise 16% -- U.S. wireless carriers earned service
revenues of $39.8 billion in the last six months of
2002, up from $34.4 billion for the last six months of 2001.

Minutes of Use Up More Than 35% -- Total billable minutes of use (MOU) for 2002 reached
619 billion -- up 35% from 456 billion for
2001.

Wireless Investment Up Nearly 21% -- Wireless carriers reported $126.9 billion in total
cumulative capital investment as of December
2002 -- up 20.8%, from $105 billion, as of December 2001.

Total Wireless Subscribership Up Nearly 10% -- Overall wireless subscribership increased
to 140.8 million by December 2002, from
128.4 million as of December 2001.

Digital Penetration Reaches Nearly 89% -- The digital penetration rate increased 15.6%
since December 2001, to almost 89% of all
reported subscribers.

CTIA's Semi-Annual Wireless Industry Survey develops industry-wide information drawn from
operational member and non-member
wireless service providers, including Cellular, PCS and ESMR providers. The information
collected includes: cumulative capital
investment, total service revenues, roaming revenues, the average local monthly bill and
the average length of call. For more
information on CTIA's Semi-Annual Wireless Industry Survey, including additional data,
charts and tables and background information, please go to
www.wow-com.com/industry/stats/surveys.

Complete results of CTIA's Semi-Annual Wireless Industry Survey are available for purchase
in the upcoming comprehensive report,
CTIA's Wireless Industry Indices: 1985 - 2003, including data on prepaid and toll
revenues, subscriber usage, investment, digital
subscribership and other operational indicators and ratios. The report is available for a
member price of $850 and a non-member price
of $1,075. The report may be ordered by contacting [email-masked]. Order forms are
available at CTIA's Web site www.wow-com.com/industry/stats/surveys/articles.cfm?ID=228.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/?epi_menuItemID=e23d7f2be635f4725e0fa455c6908a0c&epi_menuID=887566059a3aedb6efaaa9e27a808a0c&epi_baseMenuID=384979e8cc48c441ef0130f5c6908a0c&go.x=22&searchKeyword=donahue&updateSearchKeyword=true&searchWholeSite=true&headlineSearchConfigBO=infDays&go.y=13