Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 3G relocation bill fails to win Bush support

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 19:47:09 -0500

3G relocation bill fails to win Bush support
March 26 11:47:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—An industry-backed relocation fund bill penned by House telecommunications
subcommittee Chairman
Fred Upton (R-Mich.) failed to win strong backing from key Bush administration officials
at a hearing today. Rep. John
Dingell (D-Mich.), ranking member of the parent House Commerce Committee, criticized the
measure for lacking sufficient
government oversight.

The bipartisan legislation would channel revenue from the auction of third-generation
mobile-phone licenses into a fund
to pay for moving military radio systems from the 3G-designated 1700 MHz band to other
frequency bands.

Upton, who plans to mark up the bill in two weeks, said he expects to hear back from the
National Telecommunications
and Information Administration and the Department of Defense next week on proposed changes
to the legislation.

Two lawmakers want to earmark a portion of 3G license auction receipts for education and
public-safety communications.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=7798

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/