Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Powell, FCC taking aim at wireless, spectrum allocation processes]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:59:49 -0500

Powell Shifts Focus 
>From UNE-P to Wireless 

By Mark Rockwell
March 4, 2003
news@2 direct

WASHINGTON

A week after completing a rancorous and long-fought ruling on how wireline networks will
be leased, wireless issues are the next big thing on the FCC's agenda in the coming
months, according to FCC Chairman Michael Powell.

In a press briefing this morning at the FCC's headquarters here, Powell said issues
concerning broadband, mostly wireless broadband, and spectrum are the 'wild cards' for
consumers and the economy. Wireless is 'beginning to mature. People are getting a taste'
of what technologies such as Wi-Fi, 3G and ultra-wide band services can do, he says.

The FCC's recent spectrum policy report is 'the guiding document' for wireless issues at
the commission, he says. 'There are many proceedings' through which wireless regulation
and development is moving forward. 'We're going to find more unlicensed spectrum, look
into secondary markets [for licensed spectrum] and we're looking for more [licensed]
spectrum,' he says. 

Streamlining the process by which the commission makes more spectrum available, which
means re-examining the auction, allocation and other processes, is a priority, Powell
says.
 
http://www.wirelessweek.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/