Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC, Congress Move on Wireless Initiatives

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:35:33 -0500

FCC, Congress Move on Wireless Initiatives

BY MARK ROCKWELL

MARCH 20, 2003
NEWS@2 DIRECT

WASHINGTON--The FCC and Congress have moved on some pending issues that may have a
significant impact on the wireless
industry.

Newly appointed FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein tapped Barry Ohlson to be his
permanent wireless adviser. Ohlson brings a
wealth of wireless experience to the job. He was chief of the policy division in the
commission's wireless bureau; legal advisor to the
wireless bureau chief; and acting chief of the public safety and private wireless
division. Prior to joining the commission, Ohlson was
senior director of legal affairs at fixed wireless provider Winstar Communications.
On Capitol Hill, Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich., on Wednesday introduced legislation regarding
the funding of government spectrum
relocation.  H.R. 1320,  the 'Commercial Enhancement Act' would create a fund that would
allow government agencies located on
commercially attractive spectrum to relocate to other parts of the spectrum. According to
Upton's office, auction proceeds from the
sale of the vacated spectrum would be used to cover relocation costs. Auction proceeds
must total at least 110 percent of the total
estimated auction expenses.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=print_page&doc_id=115518

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/