Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 2.4GHz 802.11b Power War-SMC Introduces 200mW High Power Wireless PC Card

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:00:18 -0500

SMC Introduces 200mW High Power Wireless PC Card
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2003-03-25

IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 25, 2003--

Newest EliteConnect(TM) 2.4GHz 802.11b High Power Wireless

PC Card provides 3 times the range of standard cards, and with

greater signal clarity for better quality and throughput

SMC Networks (www.smc.com), the company that takes the work out of
networks with high-performance, easy-to-use connectivity products for
business and home, today introduced the first member of its new
EliteConnect(TM) High Power family of wireless networking products: the
SMC2532W-B 2.4GHz 802.11b High Power Wireless PC Card. The new
High Power Wireless PC Card increases mobility and flexibility for wireless
networking by providing 802.11b connectivity with up to 200 milliWatts (mW)
of transmit power -- nearly four times the power of standard PC cards and
twice the power offered by any other PC card on the market today. The new
SMC2532W-B 2.4GHz 802.11b High Power Wireless PC Card will be
available at the beginning of April at an MSRP of $139.99.

The highest-powered PC card on the market today, the new SMC2532W-B
features transmit power of up to 200 milliWatts (mW) and excellent receive
sensitivity. With an operating range of up to 2,700 feet -- almost three times
greater than standard 802.11b wireless clients -- the SMC EliteConnect
802.11b High Power Wireless PC Card overcomes significant indoor
multipath distortion to provide dramatic improvements in networking quality
and throughput. The already superior range of the SMC2532W-B can be
increased even further by attaching an optional high-gain antenna to one of
the two available MMCX connectors.

Its EZ Installation Wizard makes setting up the SMC2532W-B quick and
easy. Fully IEEE 802.11b-compliant and Wi-Fi certified, it can be configured
to operate in Ad-hoc (Peer-to-Peer) or Infrastructure (communication to the
wired network via an Access Point) mode, and operates seamlessly on any
802.11b network. Profile management software lets users of the new
high-power wireless PC card save multiple wireless profiles -- the office,
home, the coffee shop -- so that moving around is easy, and its built-in
scanning utility detects and displays available network access points.
Connections are secured via 64/128-bit WEP encryption and, with a simple
update available in Q2 2003, the new Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA). Also
included in the Q2 update, 802.1x user authentication ensures that only
authorized users can access the resources of the wireless network.

"We're excited to be leading the market with a 200mW wireless PC card,
and about the fact that this is just the first member of our new High Powered
line of products," said Jon Bettino, SMC Network's product marketing
manager. "Range and security are the two biggest issues in wireless
networking today, and the new SMC2532W-B EliteConnect High Power
Wireless PC Card succeeds beautifully on both counts."

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=37610298&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/