Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Hilton Hotels to offer Wi-Fi access in public areas

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:55:41 -0500

Hilton Hotels & Resorts to Introduce Wi-Fi Internet Access Services Hilton Hotels &
Resorts said Tuesday that it will install high-speed wireless Internet access at nearly 50
Hilton-brand hotels and resorts in major metropolitan areas throughout North America
within the next 30 days. This initiative is the first stage of what is expected to be a
system-wide rollout of high-speed Internet access in Hilton's 230 full-service properties
across the U.S., Canada and Mexico in the coming months, the company said. The wireless
Internet access points will be located in hotel lobbies, lounges, restaurants and public
areas and complement the existing high-speed wired Internet infrastructure already
available in guestrooms at these Hilton hotels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hilton Hotels to offer Wi-Fi access in public areas

by Dennis Sellers, [email-masked]
March 11, 2003 11:25 am ET

Hilton Hotels & Resorts plans to install high-speed wireless Internet access at
nearly 50 Hilton-brand hotels and resorts in major metropolitan areas throughout
North America within the next 30 days as the first stage in what's expected to be a
rollout of high-speed Internet access at 230 Hilton properties across the U.S.,
Canada, and Mexico in the months ahead.

The wireless Internet access points will be located in hotel lobbies, lounges,
restaurants, and public areas, according to Robert E. Dirks, Hilton's senior vice
president of brand management and marketing. It will complement the existing
high-speed wired Internet infrastructure already available in guest rooms at these
Hilton hotels, he added.

A spokesperson for Hilton Hotels Corp. told MacCentral that the company is still
determining access charges for the new service. Details should be available in the
coming days or weeks.

Hilton and Intel are collaborating on a marketing campaign to drive awareness of
Wi-Fi hotspots, where wireless LAN capable notebook computer users can
connect to the Internet and corporate networks wirelessly. Hilton said the
high-speed Internet service will be fully compatible with Mac, Unix, and Linux
systems, as well as Windows machines, tablet PCs, and PDAs. Signage will be
located in the Hilton hotel public areas that identifies where wireless high-speed
Internet access points are available.

Wi-Fi devices use the IEEE 802.11b standard, better known to Mac users as
AirPort. Apple's new AirPort Extreme technology is based on the IEEE 802.11g
draft specification, but AirPort Extreme cards are backwards compatible with
802.11b devices.

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0303/11.hilton.php

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/