Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi Alliance to certify security specifications by May

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 22:30:16 -0500

Wi-Fi Alliance to certify security specifications by May

The Wi-Fi Alliance said it expected to certify the specifications of its Wi-Fi
Protected Access (WPA) security protocol by May. WPA is a subset of the 802.11i
security standard, yet to be approved by the IEEE. The alliance expects approval
from the IEEE during the third quarter. One month after that the group will begin its
certification program. Products with 802.11i-standardized security features should be
available later in the fourth quarter. Once approved and certified, the 802.11i
standard will be called WPA2 and will be backward compatible with WPA.

The alliance also expects the IEEE to approve the faster 802.11g standard by June or
August. The first "unplug fest" has already taken place. The goal of the "fest" is to
work out technical bugs.

The Wi-Fi Alliance officially opened its zone-finding search engine on
Wednesday. The search engine, available at the alliance's Web site, will list all
hot spots that meet specific criteria to ensure quality service. The United
States and Europe each have between 2,000 and 3,000 public hot spots, and
Asia has around 5,000. The Wi-Fi Alliance sees Wi-Fi in Europe and Asia more
as a service provider's play, while in the United States Wi-Fi is likely to be
dominated by smaller network companies.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/