Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] 900 Motorola system

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:14:32 EST

Well, first of all its nice to "see" you again.  I certainly miss our 
interesting discussions.....

Second, it's of course not me that wants to put up a system.  It's a client 
with a construction deadline and, given the current economic environment, 
limited funds, although operation of the system is critical for their 
business.  And, they believe that they'll be able to work out any short-term 
interference problem with Nextel, should it occur.  Also, I didn't mean to 
suggest that, during an interim swap-out situation, interference would be 
caused to everybody everywhere at 900 MHz.  I really don't know the answer to 
that, and Todd is working on that testing with Nextel to find out if that is 
likely to happen.  What I meant to suggest is that interference would 
CERTAINLY occur if Nextel ever does a full-blown, permanent deployment at 900 
MHz.  I don't know that personally (damnit Jim, I'm a lawyer, not an 
engineer), but rather that's what the relevant engineers have told me.

Having said that, I'm sorry that you weren't at IWCE.  To liven things up and 
spark some debate at our Thursday "debate" session, I put up on the overhead 
projector a hypothetical interference situation, whereby I demonstrated that, 
BY THE FCC'S CURRENT RULES, Nextel isn't causing interference, BY THE FCC'S 
CURRENT RULES, and therefore Nextel wasn't obligated to fix a thing, a quite 
frightening thought to anyone currently (or potentially in the future) having 
a problem.  Each of the lawyer's on the panel (there were four, including 
Jill Lyon from UTC and Mike Rosenthal from SouthernLinc) did not disagree 
with my supposition.  Unfortunately, Mr. Schwaninger wasn't present at the 
session, because I was hoping that SOMEONE would debate the issue.

Finally, I had no problem getting a positive equipment response from Nextel 
(although I can't tell you whether it's what my client wants, equipment-wise, 
I just passed on the info for them to work out together).  Whether that's 
because of a recent change (as you indicate may be a possibility), or Nextel 
wanting to cooperate with me (they didn't know who my client was), I can't 
say.  I'm sure that Marcel will suggest that it's the latter.

Alan

In a message dated 3/20/2003 3:08:51 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Alan,
> 
> I'm confused ?  Why are you wanting to put up 7 channels of 900 when 
> you stated in previous postings that it's just a matter of time 
> before we all start getting interference from Nextel ?  I don't get 
> it ? 
> 
> Also...  last time I checked with Nextel's distribution center,  the 
> gentleman I spoke with said he was ordered to hold all 900 
> equipment,  and was given a time limit to get as many analog 
> channels up for Nextel as possible.  ( Of course that could of 
> recently changed.) Either way...I would hate to see any 900 operator 
> invest money on 900 construction given the outcome you feel is 
> coming. Can you elaborate ?   
>

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:45:23 -0500

A few questions below:

[email-masked] wrote:

> Second, it's of course not me that wants to put up a system.  It's a client with a
> construction deadline and,

Why don't you get your client a wavier like Nextel did?

> given the current economic environment, limited funds, although operation of the system
> is critical for their business.

Why are they going with Moto equipment if they have limited funds.
He can get used Uniden/Relm equipment for 1/3 the price. (I'm by no means endorsing
Uniden/Relm). If you have a Hyundai Accent bank account you don't by a Cadillac STS.

Hyundai Accent = Uniden

Cadillac STS = Motorola

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
250 Free Business Cards - $85 Value
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ig9A1A/xbqFAA/yPdLAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/