Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Guardian Angel Offers Tracking of Children

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:38:45 -0500

Guardian Angel Offers Tracking of Children

Made by French mobile firm Alcatel, Guardian Angel allows parents to map out
the exact route a child takes to school and will send text alerts if the child
deviates too far from the route or takes too long getting there. To set up the
system, parents need to follow the usual route a child takes to and from school
and at three-minute intervals press a button to map out the route. There can be
as many as 10 checkpoints on a one-mile walk. The system will only work if
the phone is switched on and being carried by the child. Many teenagers and
parents objected to the thought of policing children.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

24 March 2003
Guardian Angel mobiles to monitor kids

A new mobile tracking system could help parents
check-up on their children as they walk to and from
school.

The product - Guardian Angel - can monitor the location
of a child at regular intervals, sending text alerts to a
parent's mobile phone if they deviate too far from a
pre-programmed route, or take longer than they should.

Guardian Angel was designed by the French mobile firm
Alcatel - with Sim card manufacturer Oberthur Card
Systems - to address parents' fears of kidnapping. It
uses existing mobile networks, rather than global
positioning systems.

The system will be pitched at parents of eight to 12
year-olds, rather than teenagers who would object more
strongly to such rigid policing. It will initially be marketed
heavily in Israel, where parents and children live under
the constant fear of terrorist attacks.
www.alcatel.com
www.oberthurcs.com

http://www.internet-magazine.com/news/view.asp?id=3276
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Alcatel and Oberthur present their Guardian Angel demo in Cannes

Paris, February 14, 2003 – Alcatel (Paris: CGEP.PA and NYSE: ALA), the world's fastest
growing
GSM/GPRS/UMTS supplier, and Oberthur Card Systems, one of the world's largest SIM Card
manufacturers, will jointly demonstrate their "Guardian Angel" solution at the 3GSM
Congress in
Cannes, in Hall I, booth B 36.

This new service allows parents to keep track of their children on their way home from
school.
To initiate the service, the parents follow the child on the chosen route to go home,
using the
SIMphonIc Pico SIM-based application on the child's mobile phone to define a few
checkpoints. At
the end of this initialisation phase, Alcatel's location server defines the chosen area in
which the
child should walk. The child can then be tracked according to these checkpoints through
his mobile
phone whenever he walks home from school.

On regular intervals (for instance every 10 minutes), the tracking system "Guardian Angel"
sends
a localisation request to the Pico application on the child's mobile phone. The Pico
application then
sends a reply to the tracking server which is crosschecked with Alcatel's location server
and
control server. The route followed by the child is compared with the predefined one. If it
is unusual,
the "Guardian Angel" server sends an SMS to the parents' mobile phones. Mom or dad can
then
automatically call their children to check if everything is okay.

An alert message is also sent to the parents if the child does not reach home within the
predefined
time frame.

The solution combines the best of both Oberthur Card Systems and Alcatel technologies. It
consists of Oberthur's SIM Card with the Pico applet, connected to the Pico server,
integrated with
Alcatel's location server and control server, and the "Guardian Angel" tracking system.

Jean-Michel Cornille, President of Alcatel's Mobile Solutions activities, commented: "We
strongly
believe there is a huge expectation from the mobile market for location-based services.
The
"Guardian Angel" solution is the proof that such technologies are mature. The solution
offers
mobile operators an end-to-end high value service based on Alcatel's and Oberthur's joint
expertise."

"Alcatel's expertise in location and control servers combined with our innovative SIM card
allowed
our two companies to develop this new "Guardian Angel" solution addressing school age
children and their parents and offering them greater security", stated Olivier Leroux,
Head Mobile
Marketing & Solutions at Oberthur Card Systems.

Alcatel and Oberthur will demonstrate the Guardian Angel system in Cannes, at Hall I,
booth B
36.

About Oberthur Card Systems
Oberthur Card Systems, listed on the Euronext Stock Exchange (Code Euroclear 12413) since
July
2000, is one of the world's leading providers of card-based solutions, software and
applications
including SIM and multi-application smart cards and services ranging from consulting to
personalisation.

Innovative products and high quality services ensure Oberthur's strong positioning in its
three main
target markets.
- Payment : 52% of revenues in 2001. the company is the world leader and number one
supplier for
Visa and MasterCard.

- Mobile Communications : 31% of revenues in 2001, with open and interoperable solutions
based
on Java™ technology.

- Authentication and Network Security : emerging markets in which the company plays a
pioneering
role, with strong expertise in security and a dominant position in e-commerce and Pay-TV.
Close to its customers, Oberthur Card Systems benefits from an industrial and commercial
presence across all five continents.
Oberthur Card Systems is a subsidiary of François-Charles Oberthur Group.
Web site: www.oberthurcs.com

 http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:OPZw7qfKH8wC:www.home.alcatel.com/vpr/vpr.nsf/14b4f31604375b17c12567a8004a2c4d/062253dd98346ef8c1256ccd00324e29!OpenDocument+Guardian+Angel+Offers+Tracking+of+Children&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG