Subject: [NEXTEL-1] National Distress and Response System Modernization Project

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:18:22 -0500

National Distress and Response System Modernization Project

Welcome to the official site of the U.S. Coast Guard National Distress and Response System
Modernization
Project (NDRSMP), also known as "Rescue 21". The Coast Guard currently uses the National
Distress and
Response System to monitor for maritime distress calls and coordinate response
operations.  The system
consists of a network of VHF-FM antennae high sites and with analog transceivers that are
remotely controlled
by regional communications centers and rescue boat stations providing coverage out to
approximately 20
nautical miles from the shore in most areas.  The current system lacks several important
features and uses
outdated technology.

The “Rescue 21” system brings the NDRS into the 21st Century to ensure the public's
maritime safety.  When
search and rescue (SAR) is involved, time saves lives.  The Rescue 21 system will reduce
response time by
providing effective communications on Channel 16 and Channel 70 Digital Selective Calling
(DSC) for maritime
distress and on Coast Guard working channels for rescue coordination.  Rescue 21 will also
assist the Coast
Guard in enforcing laws, preventing terrorism and security threats, and reducing damage to
the marine
environment.

The G-AND office of the Coast Guard Headquarters’ Acquisition Directorate (G-A) manages
this project.  G-AND
has a core project staff that deals with the daily activities of project management.  In
addition to the core
staff, the NDRSMP team is comprised of many people assigned to other Headquarters
directorates,
Headquarters units, Areas, Maintenance & Logistics Commands, and field commands.

"The National Distress Response System Modernization Project represents
a quantum leap forward in coastal command and control and distress
communications.  It will enhance our homeland security capabilities as well
as other safety and security missions, bringing tremendous benefits to the
Coast Guard and the American Public."

- Admiral Thomas H. Collins, Commandant, U.S. Coast Guard.

Project Description

Objective

The objective of this project is to modernize and upgrade the National Distress and
Response System.  Follow
this link to an Adobe Acrobat 5.0 file for an introduction to the project--"NDRSMP 101."
The NDRSMP is one of
the cornerstones of our transformation in shaping the future of our service.  The project
began in the mid-1990s
when it became apparent that the current NDRS was becoming technologically obsolete.  The
modernized system
will provide the Coast Guard with a means to:

Monitor the international VHF-FM distress frequencies of Channel 16 and Channel 70 DSC.
Coordinate search and rescue response operations.
Communicate with commercial and recreational vessels.
Provide command and control (C2) for Coast Guard units (Active, Auxiliary, and Reserve)
performing
Maritime Safety, Maritime Law Enforcement, National Security, and Marine Environmental
Protection
missions.

The NDRSMP will provide essential communications between Coast Guard facilities (e.g.,
Activities, Groups,
Sections, MSOs, Stations, cutters, boats, selected vehicles, and detached personnel), the
Coast Guard's
customers (e.g., recreational and commercial mariners); and partners like other Federal
(including the other
military services), state, and local agencies.  Follow this link to an Adobe Acrobat 5.0
file showing the NDRSMP
conceptual architecture.  The modernized system will support all Coast Guard missions in
the coastal maritime
environment: Maritime Safety, Maritime Law Enforcement, National Security, and Marine
Environmental
Protection.

Background

The current NDRS consists of a network of approximately 300 VHF-FM antenna high sites with
analog
transceivers which are remotely controlled by regional communication centers and selected
stations providing
coverage out to approximately 20 nautical miles from shore in most areas. The present
system does not provide
complete coverage of continental U.S. coastal areas, bays, inlets, and river systems.
There are numerous
localized coverage deficiencies identified by local operational commanders. (Note:
complete coverage for Alaska
and Hawaii was not part of the initial design; this was a Coast Guard decision made in
1975).

The existing system has the capability to guard channel 16 (VHF-FM international distress
frequency); however,
the distress watch is interrupted during any transmission by the monitoring site.  (Note:
In the Western Rivers
and Alaska, the system does not have Channel 16 guard receivers.).  Next, C2 is often
jeopardized because the
system does not have adequate channel capacity and allows only one conversation on one
frequency at a time.
In addition, essential communications with other Federal, state, and local agencies are
often hindered or
unavailable due to the lack of compatible communications equipment.

Much of the existing equipment was installed in the 1970's. It is no longer commercially
available off-the-shelf
and is becoming increasingly difficult to support.  The expected service life for this
equipment was 15 years.
Equipment failures have necessitated the replacement of many system components that are no
longer
commercially repairable.  Enhancements such as multi-channel recorders, instant playback
recorders, and
localized direction finding equipment were installed in some locations to meet needs
identified after the original
system's construction.  All of these factors have contributed to an overall lack of system
integration and
standardization.

Acquisition Strategy

The NDRSMP employed a two-phased acquisition strategy.  Contracts for the Phase I Concept
and Technology
Development were awarded to three Systems Integration Contractors (SIC)--General Dynamics
Decision
Systems (who acquired Motorola System Solutions Group), Lockheed Martin Corporation, and
Science
Applications International Corporation (SAIC).  In Phase I, the three SICs developed the
functional design, the
preliminary design, and demonstrated and validated the design for operational and
functional suitability.  The
main objective for this phase was to develop design concepts that will best satisfy Coast
Guard mission
requirements at an affordable cost, with minimum acceptable technical risk.

The Phase I SICs participated in a limited competition for Phase II, System Development,
Demonstration,
Production and Deployment.  The Phase II Request for Proposal (RFP) was released on
February, 8, 2002; it
solicited proposals for the full-scale development of the modernized system from the three
SICs.  Final proposals
were received on 08 April 2002 and were thoroughly evaluated for technical approach and
cost. The
Government selected the proposal that represented the best value to meet the NDRSMP
requirements, and on
24 September, 2002 the Phase II contract was awarded to General Dynamics Decision Systems
to deploy the
Rescue 21 system.  Under this contract, General Dynamics will be responsible for final
design completion,
testing, implementation, deployment, and initial system support.  Every effort will be
made to utilize
non-developmental (off-the-shelf) equipment.  A limited amount of system development and
design evaluation
can be expected in order to provide integration of the non-developmental items.  The
overarching objective is
for the SIC to build the entire system and provide single-point responsibility.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-a/ndrsmp/index.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/