Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Extended cell-phone use linked to brain cancer

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:24:44 -0500

Extended cell-phone use linked to brain cancer
March 19 15:39:00, 2003

OXFORD, United Kingdom-What might appear to be the first evidence that brain cancer can be
linked to the amount of
time spent using a mobile phone has been unveiled by Swedish-based scientists. A new study
claimed that consumers
who use cell phones for voice calls for more than an hour a day stand almost a 33-percent
chance of developing a rare
form of brain tumors.

While many intensive studies have been undertaken or are currently under way into the
health risks associated with
cell-phone use, this particular research would appear to use data collected during an
extended period. In an attempt to
establish a link, the medical records of more than 1,600 brain tumor victims were examined
with particular attention
being placed on those who had been using mobile phones for up to 10 years before being
diagnosed with tumors.

According to the lead scientist, the more a cell phone is used during an extended number
of years, the greater the risk.
The study reported that spending more than an hour a day on a cell phone increased the
risk of a type of tumor known
as acoustic neuroma by around one-third.

All other studies, some with significant government sponsorship, have been unable to
provide any direct evidence that
cell phones are a health hazard, although various guidelines regarding use have been
strongly recommended.

http://www.globalwirelessnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=4620

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/