Subject: [NEXTEL-1] State Money Available For New Radio Tower

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:13:09 -0500

State Money Available For New Radio Tower
March 22, 2003
By CHARLES STANNARD, Courant Staff Writer

DEEP RIVER -- State funds will be available to pay for a new
radio communications tower that will be installed on the
roof at John Winthrop Junior High School.

First Selectman Richard Smith said funding for the tower
and related equipment would be available from the
Statewide Office of Emergency Telecommunications if
Deep River and Chester join the regional Valley Shore
Emergency Communications Inc. emergency dispatch
service. Funding would also be available if the two towns
join with Clinton or Old Saybrook to form a new three-town
regional dispatch center. He estimated the cost of the
tower and related equipment at $200,000.

Selectmen in both Deep River and Chester are currently
considering four proposals for emergency dispatching
and other communications services after the local
dispatch center at the junior high school is shut down July
1. Proposals have been submitted by Valley Shore
Emergency Communications Inc., Colchester Emergency
Communications Inc., Clinton, and Old Saybrook.

The Region 4 Board of Education this week approved
Smith's request to maintain a communications tower at
the junior high school. But the board expressed a strong
preference for moving the tower to a less visible location
on the roof of the school building.

The 40-foot tower used by the local dispatch center is now
near the east side of the school building, an area that
would become the main entrance to the school when the
renovation and expansion project is completed in 2005.

Superintendent of Schools John Gillespie said the state
funding would allow the tower to be moved to a less
visible location at no cost to the two towns. "It looks like
we'll be able to have our cake and eat it too," he said.

Smith said he is pleased with the support from the
regional school board. "I understand their concern about
location, but they were willing to help us out," he said.

Each of the four dispatch service proposals under review
in the two towns calls for continued use of the tower at the
junior high school that is on a hill off Route 80. The tower
would be essential for any possible regional dispatch
service with either Clinton or Old Saybrook.

Smith said the board of selectmen is on track to make a
decision on a five-year contract for dispatch service at or
soon after an April 1 information session that will begin at
7 p.m. in the auditorium at town hall. The Chester Board of
Selectmen is also expected to make a decision on
dispatch service on April 1.

Smith said he is reasonably confident the new tower and
equipment would be in place and operational by the July 1
start date for a new dispatch service. He said the local
dispatch service could remain in operation if there were a
slight delay in starting the new service.
http://www.ctnow.com/news/local/sr/hc-dprtower0322.artmar22,0,315232.story

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Blake Bowers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 02:08:20 -0600

40 foot tower.  Equipment for a move.  200k.

I am charging wayyyyy to little.

---

From: Don Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 12:42:26 -0800

> I am charging wayyyyy to little.

Maybe a taller tower (60')?  
New Butler building?
Installation of both, including site prep, utilities, etc.?
Staff time to process license mods? 
Replace 20+ year old radios?

$200k looks ok to me.

---

From: "Blake Bowers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 16:21:26 -0600

> Maybe a taller tower (60')?  

OK.  Rohn 55G.  installed.  60'.   
10k.

> New Butler building?

Butler building?  Are we building a new school?  
Tower shelter.  25k for a nice one.  

> Installation of both, including site prep, utilities, etc.?

I figured that into the tower, but what the hey, we will
just add 25k for installation, prep, bribes, etc.

Total of 60k so far.

> Staff time to process license mods? 

For moving across the building?  (It says
they are already located there)  Even so,
lets figure 5k.

65k now.

> Replace 20+ year old radios?
Leaving me with a grand total of 135k for
new dispatch radios.  These are control stations,
no self respecting repeater would be on a 60'
tower in that area.  Nice hills, etc.

The tower is going on a roof top, so it is probably not
even 55G, most likely smaller.  The equipment is most
likely already located inside the school.  I figured REAL
high end on everything though, took worst case scenarios
where everything possible would be covered.  From the
article, they are just moving the tower from one point
on the building to another point on the same building.  

Checking the repeater locations, they are not at the 
school - quick lookup in guilfoss.  Even if we figure enough 
control stations to do each repeater twice, we are looking
at maybe a dozen control stations.  10k a piece is nice money.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->