Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: FCC Allow GMRS/FRS Channels For Animal Detection-

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:51:01 -0500

Oh, great.  I wonder why they didn't use the shared-service 420-430 MHz
range, or even the 219 MHz range, often used for regular (not
experimental license) animal tracking?  The $2 Million answer: They must
be planning to go commercial on these GMRS/FRS channels when R&D is
complete!  Yes, the FCC is decreasing the usefulness of the band.  Data
has no place in the simplex PTT bands.  Soon the public will throw up its
hands, declaring that FRS is as plagued with interference as is 27 MHz CB
radio.

Or maybe that's what the wireless communication industry guys who pull
the FCC's strings want, after all...

Kind regards, Alan
Pop'Comm

[Please copy replies to: [email-masked] <n3hoe[a]juno.com>]

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:08:39 -0500 Marcel <[email-masked]>
writes:
FCC Allow GMRS/FRS Channels For Animal Detection-

I'm sure the GMRS/FRS people are going to love this..........

1st the FCC allows Garmin sends GPS data over GMRS channels Now Animal
Detection signals.
The FCC is just decreasing the usefulness of the band.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
455 12TH STREET, S.W.
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20554

News media information 202/418-0500 Fax-On-Demand 202/418-283
Released: March 24, 2003

Report No. 355                EXPERIMENTAL ACTIONS

The Commission, by its Office of Engineering and Technology, Experimental
Licensing
Branch, granted the following experimental applications during the period
from 1/1/03 to
3/1/03:

<Snip>

WD2XBR     SENSOR TECHNOLOGIES & SYSTEMS, INC.    0009-EX-PL-2003
New experimental to operate on 462.5875 MHz for test and development of
animal detection
on highways.
Fixed:  Angola, IL

WD2XBS     SENSOR TECHNOLOGIES & SYSTEMS, INC.    0003-EX-PL-2003
New experimental to operate on 467.6875 MHz for test and development of
animal detection
on highways.
Fixed:  Big Sky (Gallatin), MT

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-232432A1.doc

--

    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  
--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:56:57 -0500

If you remember this is how Garmin started. Next comes the wavier...

Alan Dixon wrote:

> The $2 Million answer: They must
> complete!

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:05:49 -0800

I suggest we set aside enough bandwidth to implement a technical
competency detector system for use within the FCC.

My estimation is it will take less than 1 Hertz bandwidth to fully serve
this purpose for at least the next 10 years.

But I may have overestimated the amount of spectrum really
needed......... 
Jack Daniel
========================================

Alan Dixon wrote:
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: Don Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:52:29 -0800

> But I may have overestimated the amount of spectrum really

Isn't that already in place on 27.065 Mhz?

[But this time I may be wrong...]
Don

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->