Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Walkie talkie facilities on mobile phones could soon be bigger than text messaging,

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:05:40 -0500

No calls waiting

Walkie talkie facilities on mobile phones could soon
be bigger than text messaging, writes Joia
Shillingford

Thursday February 27, 2003
The Guardian

Instant communication takes too long. But all those seconds
waiting for people to answer are about to come to an end.

At the 3GSM World Congress in Cannes last week, Nokia,
Ericsson and Siemens announced that they are working on a
standard for adding walkie-talkie features (Push to Talk) to
phones.

This will mean that instead of dialling a number, users will be
able to highlight a name on a mobile screen and press a button
to talk to them instantly. Their voice will come out of the
recipient's phone in two seconds or less.

With Push To Talk, "presence" software shows you - with their
permission - which of your friends have their mobiles switched
on. You can then broadcast a message, such as, "Let's meet at
the pub on the corner."

As with real walkie talkies, only one person can talk at a time,
which takes a bit of getting used to. But Push to Talk is
particularly useful for companies that want to communicate
quickly with truck drivers or sales teams.

This explains why it has caught on in the US, where it has
helped make Nextel the fastest-growing US mobile operator.
Nextel gets about $20 a month more from customers who also
use its Push to Talk service, prompting its rivals - AT&T
Wireless, Cingular, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile - to announce
plans to introduce Push to Talk this year.

In the past, this would have been expensive to do as Nextel
uses a proprietary mobile network from Motorola including a
technology called iDEN, used for private mobile radio services
such as police and ambulance systems. But with the advent of
higher mobile data speeds over General Packet Radio Services,
CDMA 1X in the US, and third-generation mobile, it is possible
to offer Push to Talk over standard mobile networks using open
software.

Among the key players is Comverse, a mobile messaging
software company which has a joint venture with Israeli software
company Mobile Tornado. Its Push to Talk software, like many
of the alternatives, can be used over wireless Wi-Fi networks,
too.

In theory, this means that mobile users could use their handset
as a free walkie talkie when within range of a Wi-Fi base station
(or a friend with Wi-Fi up to half a kilometre away). This is ideal
for skiers trying to meet up for lunch in a resort. In the US, Push
to Talk software is already popular with US snowboarders and
skateboarders who pay around $1 to $2 a day for unlimited use.

Even Silicon Valley's somewhat jaded investors are enthusiastic
about Push To Talk. Sonim Technologies, a company chaired
by Rob Wilmot, a key player at Britain's former technology
hope, ICL, received one of the largest first round fundings -
$21.6m - of any Silicon Valley wireless start up last year from
investors including 3i and Apax Partners.

Rahul Khanna, marketing director, of Sonim, expects at least
one UK mobile operator to start customer trials of Push to Talk
by the end of this year. O2 is said to be running technical trials.

However, it will be possible to turn your mobile into a walkie
talkie from next month if you are already using a so-called
smartphone. Chicago-based fastmobile's UK subsidiary will be
providing "walkie talkie" software on its www.fastmobile.com
site.

To use it, customers need to fill in an online form with their
mobile number and payment details, which can include reverse
charge SMS (a way of debiting your mobile phone account for
services).

The fastchat software will be transmitted to the customer's
handset over the air like a ringtone and will work on phones
including the Sony Ericsson P800 camera phone, the Nokia
3650 and 7650 and the new Siemens smartphone, which have
large screens and built-in speakerphones. The recipient will
need the software, too, and messages will cost between 15p
and 35p.

The software turns a spoken voice message into text that can
be transmitted over the airwaves via GPRS to fastmobile's
internet server. From there, it is routed to the recipient's mobile,
where the text will be turned back into voice.

James Tagg, vice president and European managing director of
fastmobile, which is backed by $4m in venture capital from Leo
Capital Holdings, BlueStar Ventures and Red Barn Investments,
says: "We've just carried out a walkie talkie-like conversation
between China, Cannes and the US including a Chinese
speaker and a translator."

John Chapman, a senior analyst at Gartner, was a bit sceptical
about Push to Talk at first but thinks that: "If operators can get
the pricing right and make it available to users of prepaid mobile
packages, it could be bigger than SMS."

Tal Kuttner of Comverse says: "We think Push to Talk will be
the killer application over 3G. SMS is great because it's instant;
this is voice SMS."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,903323,00.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/