Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FW: [LMR] Generator install

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:10:58 -0500

Now this is funny and worth cross-posting.

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: blitz [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 2:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [LMR] Generator install

Heres worse...told to me a by an engineer at a local TV station.

A TV Station installed a big genset at their transmitter facility, in the 
garage attached to the transmitter building. (all building were conceret 
and brick construction) One night the engineering staff was up there during 
a snowstorm and power went down. (This was the first time since 
installation that they actually needed it).
The genset obliged by starting, and picking up the load, everything seemed 
fine. The genset started galloping, reving up and dropping back down and 
repeating this. The engineers didnt like this fearing voltage surges would 
damage the transmission equipment, and finally decided they would be better 
off if they were off the air. They went to open the door to the generator 
room, and the door wouldn't budge. The door opened in twords them, and away 
from the garage.
It became immediately obvious what happened. The genset was previously run 
during times when the garage and building doors were open and ran fine, but 
now it was drawing a vacuum as it was starving for air.
Finally, a nominee for the darwin award said, lets smash the window in the 
door so we can get in. The window was one of these pieces of chicken-wire 
re-enforced glass. When they smashed the glass, (had to use a chair) the 
resulting air rush picked up every speck of dust in the room, blew open 
transmitter doors, and every scrap of paper in the room was vacuumed into 
the now gaping airhole, it was said to look like the simulation of a jet 
aircraft window blowout at altitude.
Fortunately no major damage other than a few egos.

Fresh air and heat exhaust are important. Very important.

At 08:48 3/31/03 -0600, you wrote:
>That and there is proper supply of air for the engine's operation and for
>exhausting the waste heat.
>
>I inherited a facility where the generator was placed inside a building
>with no make-up air or heat exhaust.  Facility nearly burned to the ground
>and most of the equipment inside show signs of excessive heat damage.
DUH>>>>.
>MM

.