Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Working Together on Motorola's Digital Radio Network

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:54:02 -0500

Working Together on Motorola’s Digital Radio Network

States of Jersey public safety agencies work together for the first time

BASINGSTOKE, UK -- 5 March 2003 -- Motorola (NYSE:MOT) and The States of Jersey
announce that the world’s first live TETRA (TErrestrial Trunked RAdio) system has now also

become one of the first TETRA networks to be used operationally as a common communications

system for five of its public safety agencies. Although the digital communications network
has
been used for inter-service exercises for some time, the Police, Fire, Ambulance, Honorary
Police
and Custom and Excise services have now all gone live on the network - meaning the five
public
safety agencies are now able to intercommunicate on a day to day basis.

When looking for a replacement communications system, one of the key requirements for the
island was to have a common system for all the public safety and government services.
Jersey is
relatively isolated as an island and as such, must be suitably resourced to cope in the
event of an
emergency. Government reports following several high profile large-scale tragedies noted
that
better communication between the services could have led to more lives being saved.

Following a trial period, Motorola handed over the TETRA system to the States of Jersey at
the
end of 2001. The five agencies are now benefiting from the improved network coverage that
a
TETRA system brings, as well as improved privacy (the network cannot be scanned) and data
communications.

Gary Buesnel, Head of Communications, States of Jersey Police commented, “Jersey Police
were the first to use TETRA and this sparked worldwide interest, encouraging visitors
literally from
all corners of the globe including most European countries. The system is regarded as
unique in
its capacity to offer clear and secure communications and these benefits are now being
shared
with all the island's emergency services. This important and exciting step means that
islanders
can be confident in knowing that Jersey's emergency services have a first class
communication
system which will help us continue to work together to give the most efficient and best
value, high
quality service that people expect."

Bringing information or data to the field in mission critical environments is a key
benefit of the
network; this is especially true when agencies are working together as it means everyone
involved
in an incident can access the latest information on the situation before arriving at the
scene. In
the next phases of expansion, Motorola will be adding a variety of data applications
bringing even
more information to the point of decision making.

John Le Conte, Assistant Chief Fire Officer, States of Jersey Fire and Rescue Service
added,
“The network is particularly valuable to the fire service because of the multiple
talkgroups and
emergency call button. We have been involved since the beginning of the trial and are
convinced
that the TETRA system will enable us to improve our high standards of service to the
community
and the safety of our personnel.”

John Moulin, Chief Ambulance Officer, States of Jersey Ambulance Service added, “The TETRA

radio network enables the ambulance service to reach each vehicle/crew with accurate
timings,
clear messages and provides greater safety for operational crews. Having recently
installed an
MIS Command and Control system, accurate and rapid status messages passed via TETRA
means the network is now of vital importance in the day to day operations and the delivery
of
services to patients and the community alike.”

Motorola’s partnership with Jersey began in 1995 when the company first installed a TETRA
network in St Helier. This was the world’s first live TETRA network showing voice, data
and video.
In 1997, the site became the world’s first multi-site TETRA system with four sites and in
1999 the
State of Jersey signed the contract for the system before the system was officially handed
over in
2001. Recent additions to the system include the integration of MIS (management
information
software). In late 2002, the MIS went live in February 2003 and is a key benefit for the
ambulance
service.

In addition to the existing public safety users, there are plans to migrate other agencies
such as
the airport fire service. Once all the departments are fully migrated to the system, it
will act as a
reliable, cost effective communications network enabling Jersey to respond to a potential
major
incident in the most effective way.

Suzanne McDermott, Senior Communications and Public Affairs Manager, Motorola added,
“Having worked with the States of Jersey for nearly nine years, over that time our
relationship has
enabled us to develop a system that truly benefits users. By working together, testing
networks
and handsets, the result has been a system which reflects the real needs of public safety
users
and we can use this knowledge to benefit other customers around the world.”

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2470_2013_23,00.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/