Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Industry Called Close to Offering 411 for Cell Phone Numbers

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:17:47 -0500

Industry Called Close to Offering 411 for Cell Phone Numbers

The largest wireless carriers in the U.S. are said to be close to approving a plan
for making wireless numbers available for directory assistance services. The
wireless numbers would not be available to telemarketers, and consumers
could choose to have their numbers listed or unlisted. Consumers with unlisted
numbers also might have the option of receiving a text message from the 411
service that would say who is trying to call.
---------------------------------------------------
Dialers soon can get the 411 on cell phones

By BRIAN BERGSTEIN, AP Business Writer

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Looking for a friend but don't have
her phone number with you? For now, you can call
directory assistance for her home number, but her wireless
digits are off limits from 411.

That's about to change, however. After years of hesitation, cellular providers are getting
close to
making wireless numbers available to 411 callers.

Although the information service probably won't be available until next year at the
earliest, some
details already are clear.

The centralized database of wireless numbers would be off limits to telemarketers, and
consumers
would be able to choose whether to have their numbers listed or unlisted, according to
people
familiar with the process.

Individual carriers would determine whether subscribers would have to pay to be unlisted.

Other privacy options are possible, too.

For example, wireless phone users might choose to be unlisted but willing to receive a
short text
message, sent through the directory service, from someone trying to contact them.

The nation's largest carriers are on board with the plan, according to an industry source
who spoke
on condition of anonymity. Their support makes sense: If carriers charged a dollar or so
for 411
requests for a wireless number that could be a huge revenue boost for an industry
struggling with
high debts and tough competition.

About 5 percent of U.S. households have gone totally wireless and eliminated traditional
landlines,
according to the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association, which is hosting a
huge
industry trade show in New Orleans this week.

While the industry quietly moves toward establishing wireless 411, that kind of consensus
and
cooperation has been absent at the CTIA show when it comes to the explosion of the
wireless
Internet access technology known as WiFi.

Because WiFi uses unlicensed airwave frequencies to inexpensively radiate Internet
connectivity
over short distances, every day brings news of aggressive plans to deploy WiFi "hot
spots."

IBM Corp. said this week it would work with two technology companies to infuse 1,000 truck
stops
with WiFi access. Toshiba and Accenture are touting a package of hot spot gear and network

management software.

But analysts, WiFi providers and companies thinking about joining the fray say the
technology
will be hindered unless the industry lets users seamlessly roam from one WiFi network to
another.

No one really wants to buy access in one airport, only to have to pull out the credit card
again and
sign up anew at a downtown cafe.

"We need universal roaming across hot spots more than we ever needed it with cellular,"
said Sky
Dayton, founder of Boingo Wireless, a company working to link WiFi hot spots with each
other -
and with the slower data networks that send information to wireless phones.

But while some companies say they can facilitate aspects of WiFi roaming, WiFi operators
and
would-be providers say big issues have yet to be worked out - including how to link
billing
systems and assure a consistent quality of service among hot spots.

David Chamberlain, an analyst with Probe Research, said wireless phone carriers might be
in the
best position to bring about WiFi roaming because they already have relationships with
millions of
customers and billing software for cellular roaming.

But that day doesn't seem near.

Nextel Communications CEO Tim Donahue said Tuesday that WiFi is not "ready for prime time
yet." Sprint PCS chief Len Lauer said he's discouraged to see free WiFi hot spots popping
up in
hotels and other public places because that might make it difficult for anyone to profit
off it.

"The cellular operators," said Lawrence Brilliant, chief of WiFi wholesaler Cometa
Networks, "have
got to decide whether they see it as friend or foe."

Posted: March 19, 2003 @ 04:00:00 AM PST

http://www.modbee.com/24hour/technology/story/814667p-5779573c.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:38:55 -0500

Just what we need Telemarketers calling our cellphones!
I like this part.....

"The wireless numbers would not be available to telemarketers, and consumers
could choose to have their numbers listed or unlisted."

Consumer numbers are unlisted now so how did the telemarketers get them?
They find which NPA/NXX are assigned to which carriers and the computer does the rest. DUH!!!!

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:08:39 -0500

Wall Street Journal Readers Say No to Wireless 411

Responding to an article about a proposed directory assistance service that
would list cell phone number, readers of the "Real Time Exchange" column in the
Wall Street Journal shouted a resounding "no." Some called their cell phones a
last refuge from unwanted junk calls. Others said that because they pay for
incoming calls, they should be able to control who gets the number. One reader
said he would pay for having his cell phone number remain unlisted if he had to.
Others said that if wireless 411 becomes available, they would keep their phones
turned off until they needed to make an outgoing call. (Source: Wall Street
Journal)