Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Genesee County, Michigan Awards Motorola Contract for New Communications System

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:57:54 -0500

Genesee County, Michigan Awards Motorola Contract for New Communications System

First Multi-Site and Simulcast Sub-System to Integrate With Statewide Motorola
Communications System SCHAUMBURG, Ill., Mar. 4, 2003 – The Genesee County 911 Consortium
in Michigan has awarded Motorola (NYSE:MOT) a contract for a new $10.1 million
communications system to enable public safety agencies countywide to respond more quickly
and efficiently to emergency calls. The system is part of Motorola’s extensive portfolio
of integrated communications and information solutions to address mission-critical public
safety and security requirements worldwide.

The sophisticated solution replaces the county’s existing 30-year-old system and will
enable the county to communicate with agencies on Michigan’s Statewide Motorola 800 MHz
Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS).

“By strategically placing towers around our county, we’ll be able to join MPSCS--the first
multi-site and simulcast sub-system to do so,” said Lloyd Fayling, executive director,
Genesee County 911 Consortium. “It’s a cost-effective and efficient way to upgrade our
system with enhanced coverage and communications capabilities.”
Fayling plans to achieve 95 percent in-building coverage with the new technology. The
County is purchasing 1,300 digital mobile and portable radios, including XTS 5000™ radios
designed to operate on both existing analog and APCO Project 25 trunked and conventional
systems, and Motorola’s newest mobile radios.
“That kind of coverage is essential in enabling our firefighters to effectively manage
situations where lives can be saved or lost in a matter of seconds,” he said.
Agencies will use the system’s channels to set-up pre-arranged talk groups, allowing
county officials, police and fire departments to communicate effectively among themselves
as well as with the state police and other system users, a critical capability, said
Fayling.

“In an emergency situation, we’ll be able to reduce the amount of extraneous radio traffic
on channels by dedicating some solely for use by responders. This technology also allows
us to change talk groups on the fly, so we can dispatch emergency units more effectively
when needed,” said Fayling.

The state’s fifth largest county, Genesee County spans more than 600 square miles in
southeast Lower Michigan. With the exception of the cities of Flint and Fenton, all of
Genesee County’s public safety agencies, including 49 police and fire departments serving
311,000 citizens, will use the system when it comes online within two years. The timeframe
is contingent upon construction of the towers that are needed to support the county-wide
system. Officials expect other governmental agencies may be added to the system at a later
date.

“Motorola was a true partner in designing a system to provide the coverage and
interoperability we were lacking,” said Fayling. “We believe other counties throughout
Michigan will look to our solution as a model of user-friendliness for public safety
communicators.”

The Motorola 800 MHz ASTRO® SmartZone® 14-channel digital system uses simulcast technology
to ensure that radio users in the county can communicate reliably with each other. All
messages will be broadcast from all seven of the tower sites. Dispatchers will operate
from five new Motorola CENTRACOM Gold EliteTM consoles at the county’s existing dispatch
center.

“We are proud to have the opportunity to work closely with Genesee County on a system that
will fit their specific needs in responding to mission-critical situations both now and
well into the future,” said Mark Schmidl, Motorola area vice president.

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2457_2004_23,00.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/