Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi Use Abounds in U.S. Companies, Study Finds

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:41:56 -0500

Wi-Fi Use Abounds in U.S. Companies, Study Finds

According to a study from Jupiter Research, 57 percent of U.S. companies
already support 802.11 networks, with an additional 22 percent planning to
implement and support this technology in the next 12 months. Small businesses
(with less than $10 million in annual revenue) are leading deployment, with 83
percent stating that they either support 802.11 networks today or plan to in the
next 12 months. By contrast, 71 percent of U.S. large businesses (defined as
those generating $100 million or more in annual revenue) are supporting 802.11
networks or will do so in the next 12 months. "Nearly half (49 percent) of all U.S.
businesses have fewer than 20 percent of their employees connected. Small and
medium sized businesses, in particular, are much more likely to have their
employees connected via an 802.11 network," said Jupiter Research Senior
Analyst Julie Ask. -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Businesses getting into Wi-Fi act

By Richard Shim
CNET News.com
March 18, 2003, 12:00 AM PT

The reach of wireless networks is extending beyond the consumer market as a
majority of businesses have already set up networks or plan to do so in the next
12 months, according to a report from research firm Jupiter Research.

The New York-based firm said in a release Monday that 57 percent of U.S. companies use
Wi-Fi networks and an additional 22 percent are planning to use them in the next 12
months.
Wi-Fi refers to wireless networking technology based on the 802.11b, 802.11a and--by
midyear--the 802.11g standards, which allow people to access a network wirelessly and
share resources on that network. The report is the firm's first on the Wi-Fi business
market.

Setting up wireless networks removes the hassle of stringing cables and makes it easier to

access data on a network. Security concerns and the relative youth of the market have
limited
the technology's use by businesses, according to Jupiter analyst Julie Ask. However, as
prices for Wi-Fi gear fall and as networking companies and industry groups improve
security
measures, its appeal among the pin-striped-suit set grows.

Industry groups are also in
the process of finalizing the
802.11i standard, which is
expected to improve
security on wireless
networks.

Ask said the number of
mobile employees is a
significant factor in adoption
of the technology. "About 50
percent of employees on
average are mobile," she
said, and this is increasing.

Ask added that some
companies were in a
holding pattern over Wi-Fi
as they awaited the
certification of the 802.11g standard.

Businesses with less than $10 million in annual revenue are leading the charge with 83
percent either using or planning to use Wi-Fi networks in the next 12 months, according to

Jupiter. Companies with $100 million or more in revenue are slightly behind with 71
percent.

The market had been predominately made up of the consumer and small office/home office
markets, according to Jupiter.

Hot spot locations are expected to multiply, which could help drive use among businesses
as
traveling executives look to access corporate data.

Hot spots are areas where wireless Internet access is available to the public using Wi-Fi
technology. Such access points have proved enormously popular among laptop users, who
discovered that they could tap into pockets of free high-speed Internet bandwidth,
courtesy of
unwitting corporations and cooperative neighbors. More recently, operators have begun to
build networks of hot spots, so they can charge people for more-reliable and more broadly
available service.

On Monday, Verizon Wireless said it will work with Wayport to offer Wi-Fi services at
indoor
locations such as airports and hotels starting in the third quarter.

T-Mobile USA, Cometa Networks and Toshiba, are also working to set up hot spot access in
public places. Last week, Intel said it's teaming with Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Borders
Group
and McDonald's to offer wireless access to customers in certain areas.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-992901.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/