Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AT&T Wireless, Cingular Sign Joint Roaming Agreement-Woooow!

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 16:42:29 -0500

AT&T Wireless, Cingular Sign Joint Roaming Agreement

AT&T Wireless and Cingular Wireless said they have signed a joint roaming
agreement designed to improve quality and encourage further expansion of
GSM/GPRS coverage in the United States for customers of both companies. The
companies also said the agreement will allow them to lower costs. Under the
agreement, customers of AT&T Wireless and Cingular will continue to have
access to the companies' combined GSM/GPRS networks in the U.S. The two
companies also agreed that they will build-out their networks to support common
features such as text messaging. The agreement is retroactive to February 1,
2003 and will remain in effect through December 31, 2006

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cingular, AT&T Wireless Sign Roaming Deal
Mon Mar 17,12:03 PM ET

Add Technology - Reuters to My Yahoo!

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - Cingular Wireless and AT&T Wireless
Services Inc. (NYSE:AWE - news) on Monday said they signed an
agreement that will help save costs on roaming charges by allowing
customers of both wireless telephone companies to make wireless
telephone calls using each other's networks.

The agreement covers their new networks based
on the world's dominant wireless technology
Global System for Mobile Communications
(GSM) and its advanced data-capable version
called General Packet Radio Service (GPRS).

GPRS enables networks to offer "always on"
higher capacity Internet based content, including
browsing, visual communications, messaging and
location-based services.

Both companies are in the process of switching
to the new networks from a network based on
Time Division Multiple Access.

AT&T Wireless currently offers GSM/GPRS in all of its markets except for
former TeleCorp markets.

Cingular, a joint venture between BellSouth Corp. (NYSE:BLS - news) and
SBC Communications Inc. (NYSE:SBC - news) said it rolled out
GSM/GPRS in markets that cover about half of their potential customers. It
plans to offer the new network service to more than 90 percent of its
potential customers by the end of the year.

Cingular said the latest announcement was part of its effort to cut costs.

The two companies previously forged a cost-savings venture to jointly build
advanced wireless networks across U.S. rural highways. Last week, the
companies expanded that pact to build a network along major highways in
Vermont, New Hampshire and Upstate New York, in addition to previously
announced areas in Midwestern and Western states.

Cingular Chief Executive Stan Sigman said last month he expected 2003
capital spending to be in the range of $3.4 billion and $3.8 billion.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030317/tc_nm/telecoms_cingular_attwireless_dc_1

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/