Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: Why the interest in 900 MHz all of a sudden?

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 21:06:03 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
   From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  Why the interest in 900 MHz all of a sudden?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent:Friday, February 28, 200311:59 PM
Subject: Re: [PWF] Why the interest in 900 MHz all of a sudden?

<snip>

I agree, that's why we've always had the 900 MHz issue "on the table" with Nextel, and
that's why we're still in the process of working out an agreement under the Consensus Plan
to minimize (if not totally prevent) this from happening.  However, the engineers from all
sides (Nextel, public safety and private) were working on coming to an agreement for 800
MHz first, because of the very limited time frame.  Now that we've finalized finished with
the rounds and re-rounds of comments, we can devote engineer time to 900 MHz (we're also
going to work on re-fining Appendix F with regard to measurement techniques).  In fact,
there are a group of 900 MHz licensees who have already met with Nextel to work on this
(I'm not looking to steal that person's thunder, so if he wants to give you more info,
he's on this board and can step up and say more here).

</snip>

Here’s the situation as it sits:

  1. The 900 MHz Industrial Users Group filed comments with the Commission that
     specifically called out the following points;

·Potentially impacted incumbents receive 30-day notice of 900 MHz construction from
Nextel.

·Nextel provide an "interference hot line" telephone number for immediate notification of
interference.

·If interference is detected or suspected, incumbents provide Nextel with independent
third party assessment of the interference matter.  The Commission’s Enforcement Division
should also be served with a copy of the assessment report.

·Nextel must resolve the interference within three days of notification.

·If the interference is not mitigated to the incumbent's satisfaction within the three
days, then the Commission's Enforcement Division will investigate the complaint
immediately.

·If the interference is confirmed to emanate from Nextel's equipment by the Enforcement
Division representative, the site will be shut down and the interfering party will be
fined substantially in a manner consistent with the potential revenue losses due to the
interference that could be experienced by the incumbent licensee.

  2. Of course, this was not a popular concept.  We met with Nextel to cover each point in
     detail;

        * Nextel felt that the 30 day notice was a bad idea since it gave potential
          competitors a heads-up on their activities.  I respectfully disagreed.
          Industrial users like American West and Shell Oil are not competitors and thus
          this argument is moot.
        * The interference hot line idea will be considered along with other issues for a
          revised “Best Practices” guideline.
        * Interference detection is important, as is the proof that it is being caused,
          agreed on both sides.
        * Nextel does not like the idea of a 3-day fix.  Most problems are being fixed
          within 2 weeks of notification.  We pointed out that since control of the sites
          is generally remote (no hands-on required to move channels or lower power), that
          3 days is still feasible.  It was pointed out that there are a LOT of sites that
          need attention too, and that should be considered, as Nextel engineering isn’t
          sitting around like the Maytag Man waiting for problems to crop up.
        * The Enforcement Division’s involvement is still seen as instrumental.  The
          Commission must hold its role as the governmental entity regulating the bands.
          Signing on to the Consensus Plan cannot mean that the signatories abdicate their
          ability to utilize the Enforcement Division for interference problems.
          Abdication is simply not a choice.

  3. One thing we talked about was the specifications of 900 MHz equipment, and how they
     compare to 800.  This info can also be used for forensic engineering to help figure
     out why there is or isn’t a problem.

  4. Nextel brought up the idea of running a test in two locations that could potentially
     experience interference.  These locations will be Marietta, Georgia (with the
     assistance of Cobb EMC and Jackson EMC) and Phoenix, Arizona (with the assistance of
     America West Airlines and Pro Tec Communications).  Nextel engineering and Booth &
     Associates, Inc. licensed professional engineers will be jointly developing the test
     specification based on Nextel’s installation specification for a 900 MHz iDEN
     installation.  If the test proves that there is little or no interference, then there
     will be some very happy folks.  If there is significant interference, then there will
     be some significantly unhappy folks.  The Marietta test is to occur roughly by the
     end of March, and based on the results, the Phoenix test will be scheduled.

Since this meeting, we have received notification by other 900 MHz licensees (read: very
large industrial corporations) who want to be a part of this activity.  We have also
received some technical information detailing the possibilities of interference being even
higher than what we had considered.  We are also receiving assistance from radio
manufacturers who are supplying technical information and support regarding their
subscriber radio products.  Yes, this is getting a lot of attention in a hurry, and we
think that the ability to meet and talk with Nextel is wonderful.  We appreciate the
involvement of ITA’s Laura Smith as a go-between, and Nextel’s executive management for
listening to our concerns.

Todd Ellis

Booth & Associates, Inc.