Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Councilman Calls Nextel Phones Useless and Obsolete.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:20:06 -0500

Councilman Calls Nextel Phones Useless and Obsolete.
Village seeks help for overwhelmed employee

By RICK NEALE
Staff writer

MARBLEHEAD -- Bryan Lucas serves the village as a one-man maintenance gang: He
plows. He salts. He mows. He weeds.

And he's swamped.

To alleviate Lucas' workload, Marblehead leaders are considering hiring a second,
part-time maintenance employee to tend to village property, including parks, streets
and cemetery chores.

"Bryan needs help, especially with summer coming -- grass, road repair," Mayor Joe
Ihnat said Wednesday during Village Council's monthly work session.

In fact, Lucas' snow removal efforts this winter earned him a round of applause at the
meeting. "I don't know how you do it alone," Council President Jackie Bird said.

The new maintenance employee would work 32 hours a week or fewer. Exact job
duties and titles remain unknown, since former police chief Wood Holbrook was fired
last month -- he also served as street commissioner, a position that remains vacant.

Ihnat said the village will soon advertise for new maintenance candidates.

Councilman Frank Zalar asked if snow-covered sidewalks can receive more attention in
future winters. He said he almost ran over some joggers who were running in the road
at night wearing dark clothing. In fact, he said he might have struck them, had they not
worn shoes with flashing lights in the soles.

In other Marblehead news:

LaFarge Construction Materials crews will soon apply cold patch to potholes along
Alexander Pike -- free of charge.

"I think they are to be commended for this, and all the other good things they do for
the village," Councilman John Starcher said.

Starcher said he will investigate the replacement of 10 village-owned Nextel cell
phones.

He said about half of these phones are useless because they're obsolete, broken or
have fried batteries.

Zalar toured Police Cruisers Ltd. in Middletown, an outfit that refurbishes and resells
used law enforcement cruisers.

He said the facility's lot included about 30 vehicles. One example, a 2000 Ford Crown
Victoria with 6,000 miles, was available with a three-year warranty for about $16,500.

"I think it's something we ought to look at," Zalar said of used cruisers.

One of Marblehead's three police cars has a blown motor. Another has more than
200,000 miles on the odometer.

Originally published Thursday, March 27, 2003
http://www.portclintonnewsherald.com/news/stories/20030327/localnews/3540.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/