Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Add this to the list of things Criag McCaw Sold Off.......

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:56:06 -0500

Land trust taps Leavy
Carmel attorney returns to Big Sur group
By VICTORIA MANLEY
[email-masked]

Zad Leavy, co-founder and former head of the Big Sur Land Trust, said Monday he will once
again serve as the
organization's executive director.

Leavy, 72, replaces Corey Brown, who announced last month that he would step down in order
to spend more time
with his family. Brown said he plans to move back to the Sacramento area.

Brown replaced Leavy as director when he joined the trust in October 2000. Leavy, a Carmel
attorney for more than 30
years, held the position from 1997-2000. Since then he has served as general counsel for
the organization.

No one has been involved with the organization as long as Leavy has. He helped start it 25
years ago.

"It's always been my heart... since I founded it," Leavy said Monday. He said he felt
"challenged and excited" when the
trust's board of trustees decided last week to reinstate him as director.

"We want to continue the momentum of the land trust without missing a heartbeat," he said.

The Big Sur Land Trust is a nonprofit organization that acquires land for preservation as
open space. The trust has
acquired more than 30,000 acres in Monterey County since its inception in 1978.

Last May, the trust made its largest purchase ever, buying the 10,000-acre Palo Corona
Ranch just south of Carmel for
$37 million from Seattle telecommunications tycoon Craig McCaw. A week later, Gov. Gray
Davis announced that the
state would commit $32 million toward buying the property. The Monterey Peninsula Regional
Park District is putting up
the additional $5 million.

Earlier this month the park district -- of which Leavy is a board member -- received a
$12.2 million state grant to buy a
681-acre chunk of the park.

Leavy said he will resign from his post at the park district later this month. Its board
of directors will likely begin
accepting applications for the position in early April, he said.

The trust also named Cynthia Holmsky as its general manager, a new position. Holmsky
joined the trust in December as
interim general manager.

Creating her position "reflects the growth of the Big Sur Land Trust," Holmsky said.
"There's a point at which you have
to accommodate your growth."

Holmsky will oversee the daily operations of the organization, including an eight-person
staff and a $1.8 million annual
budget.

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/news/local/5419524.htm
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/