Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Powell to propose releasing spectrum for unlicensed wireless broadband

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:17:11 -0500

Powell to propose releasing spectrum for unlicensed wireless broadband

March 20, 2003 2:30 PM EST

WASHINGTON—Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell said he will push a
proposal this spring to unleash a huge chunk of the airwaves for unlicensed wireless
broadband service. 

Powell revealed his plans in March 14 letters to Sens. George Allen (R-Va.) and Barbara
Boxer (D-Calif.). The two lawmakers, cosponsors of an unlicensed wireless spectrum bill,
had written Powell earlier this month about the allocation of 5 GHz frequencies for use by
unlicensed devices. 

"I strongly back the unlicensed spectrum model as a key component of the commission's
overall spectrum and broadband policies, and I share your belief that unlocking high-speed
broadband's potential will bring numerous benefits to the American public," Powell told
the lawmakers. 

The Powell plan would set aside 255 megahertz in the 5 GHz band for unlicensed wireless
technologies. 

The spectrum, which became available for commercial wireless applications after the Bush
administration and the Department of Defense struck a deal that protects military radar
from interference, is likely to be globally allocated at the World Radiocommunication
Conference this summer in Geneva. 

Spectrum is available for unlicensed devices the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, but growing
demand in the bands and strong interest in Wi-Fi and other broadband wireless technologies
by the high-tech sector has prompted policy makers and Silicon Valley to call for more
frequencies.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=7732

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/