Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Citing Antiwar Views In Europe, U.S. Lawmaker Pushes CDMA Technology

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:57:39 -0500

I have backed CDMA for many years over many other air interfaces not because GSM was
developed in Europe, but because of its technological advantages.

Obviously if we appalled the same standard as Rep. Darrell Issa, (R-Calif.) did to other
technology we woule all be living in a Hut in the Dessert.

Rep. Darrell Issa, (R-Calif.), Gets the "DING BAT" award-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Citing Antiwar Views In Europe, U.S. Lawmaker Pushes CDMA Technology

A California Republican wants U.S. officials to back CDMA technology
over GSM in a post-war Iraq because GSM was developed in Europe, where
the war is unpopular.

Citing antiwar views in Europe,
U.S. lawmaker pushes CDMA
technology

By John Blau, IDG News Service
MARCH 27, 2003

Content Type: Story
Source: IDG News Service

The U.S.-led war in Iraq could
claim an unexpected victim:
the Global System for Mobile
Communications (GSM)
technology developed in
Europe.

Angered over the antiwar
positions of France and
Germany, Rep. Darrell Issa,
(R-Calif.), has sent letters to
U.S. Secretary of Defense
Donald Rumsfeld, the
Pentagon, the U.S. Agency
for International Development
(USAID) and various
legislators asking them to
support rival Code Division
Multiple Access (CDMA)
technology, pioneered by
Qualcomm Inc., for a new Iraqi cell phone system. Qualcomm is based in San Diego.

"We have learned that planners at the Department of Defense and USAID are currently
envisioning using federal appropriations to deploy a European-based wireless technology
known as GSM ... for this new Iraqi cell phone system," Issa wrote in a letter to
Rumsfeld,
posted yesterday on the lawmaker's Web site.

In the letter, Issa expressed concern that if GSM technology is chosen, much of the
equipment could come from manufacturers in France and Germany, as well as Finland and
Sweden. That means the U.S. government would be handing over taxpayers' money to
companies in some countries that have decided not to support U.S. war efforts.

Issa couldn't immediately be reached for comment today.

Politics aside, the choice of a cell phone technology should be based on what's best for
users in Iraq, according to Jason Chapman, a mobile infrastructure analyst at the London
office of Gartner Inc. "And that's GSM technology," he said.

GSM has a huge footprint in the Middle East and Africa, in addition to Europe and Asia, so

that makes roaming much easier for Iraqis traveling to other countries and visitors from
GSM countries coming to Iraq, he said.

Price is another issue. "GSM infrastructure equipment is cheaper because it's a bigger
market and there are more companies providing equipment," Chapman said.

That applies to more than infrastructure. "There are plenty of inexpensive low-function
GSM
handsets, and there is also a market for refurbished handsets that have been returned to
operators," he said. "This all adds up to savings for users, and that would be important
to
Iraqis."

Only one U.S. company, Motorola Inc., manufactures GSM infrastructure and handsets,
compared with several in Europe, including France's Alcatel SA, Germany's Siemens AG,
Finland's Nokia Corp. and Sweden's LM Ericsson Telephone Co.

http://computerworld.com/newsletter/0%2C4902%2C79767%2C0.html?nlid=AM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------