Subject: [NEXTEL-1] APCO OPPOSES EFFORTS TO DISCARD PHASE II E9-1-1 DEPLOYMENT IMPLEMENTATION DEADLINES (Foolsner strikes again!---)

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:00:13 -0500

Foolsner strikes again!---<BR><BR><BR

<snip><BR><BR>

 "Nextel publicized their intent to urge PSAPs and carriers to ignore the FCC's mandate. Nextel Senior Vice President and Chief
Regulatory Officer Robert Foosaner's explanation for these actions involved changing industry conditions and the difficulties
PSAPs are having implementing the technology. <BR><BR>

Translation-<BR><BR>

It has take us over 10 years to make a profit (supposedly) and providing life saving technology will put us back in the RED.
This will force us spend more of the E-911 money we have been collecting for years from our customers.
<BR><BR>
Isn't their a Horse Show somewhere he should be attending?

-------------------------------------------------------------

(Rightfully So)

                             APCO OPPOSES EFFORTS TO DISCARD

                    PHASE II E9-1-1 DEPLOYMENT IMPLEMENTATION DEADLINES

(Daytona Beach, Fla. March 26, 2003) - The Association of Public-Safety Communications
Officials (APCO) International, Inc. announced today its opposition to an apparent attempt
by Nextel to work with other wireless carriers and public safety answering points (PSAPs)
to convince the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to remove the Dec. 31, 2005 final
deadline for the deployment of Phase II Enhanced 9-1-1 (E9-1-1) services.

In conjunction with the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association's annual
conference last week, Nextel publicized their intent to urge PSAPs and carriers to ignore
the FCC's mandate.Nextel Senior Vice President and Chief Regulatory Officer Robert
Foosaner's explanation for these actions involved changing industry conditions and the
difficulties PSAPs are having implementing the technology.

"It is clear that this is not an easy task," APCO International Acting President Vincent
Stile said in reference to E 9-1-1 deployment. "The point is PSAPs are working hard to
implement the technology because this is a matter of life and death."

Additionally, Foosaner stated there is no need to establish a deadline and if an end date
is to be decided it should coincide with the industry's growth rate, which would delay it
approximately three years.According to Foosaner, in order to meet the FCC's mandate,
Nextel would be expected to have Phase II services deployed to 95 percent of its
subscribers by the end of 2005, therefore requiring it to replace "many" handsets.

Major carriers have already received waivers increasing the time they had for Phase II
deployment and, at that time, vowed not to seek extension of the Dec. 31, 2005,
deadline.Additionally, due to increasing pressure from PSAPs, APCO, other wireless
carriers and congressional leaders, the FCC has thus far remained faithful to the final
Phase II deadline.

"The public safety community has clearly expressed its displeasure with any action that
would lead to further implementation delays," Stile said."The fact that this technology
saves lives should be reason enough for our communications centers, wireless carriers and
the FCC to deny Nextel's request."

About APCO International

The Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials-International, Inc.,is the
world's oldest and largest not-for-profit professional organization dedicated to the
enhancement of public safety communications.With more than 16,000 members around the
world, APCO International exists to serve the people who manage, operate, maintain and
supply the communications systems used to safeguard the lives and property of citizens
everywhere.

                                            ###