Subject: [mobile-ip] MIPv6 v21: Binding Authorization Option in home BU

From: "Greg O'Shea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:11:06 -0000

"   o  This specification now disallows the use of the Binding
      Authorization Data option in a home registration, and requires
      Binding Updates the home agent with such options to be dropped
      (tracked issue 255)." [Appendix A]

As far as I can see this is not true, or if it is true then it is too
well hidden in the text. From my reading of v21 the Auth Data Opt is
consistently _permitted_ in home BU by sections 5.1, 6.1.8, 6.2.7,
10.3.1.

Now I do not know whether or not to reject home BU that contain
AuthDataOpt.

Thanks if someone could clarify.

Thanks also if someone could say why it is banned if it is banned; it
seems to me that it would be perfectly safe to ignore it.

Greg

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 16:55:54 +0200

> Thanks if someone could clarify.

When in doubt, do not trust Appendix A ;-)

Anyway, 10.3.1 and bunch of other places refer to 9.5.1 where
we put back the rule that when RR is used to authenticate the
BU, the H bit must be set to 0. Strictly speaking, this only
requires you to drop a BU sent to a CN with H=1, not BUs
sent to HAs with BAD included. I guess be liberal in what you
accept would apply then; it seems appropriate to ignore the
option then.

See http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue255.txt
for further details.

Jari