Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Nextel Communications vs public safety radio comms

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:57:06 -0500

Don't believe the hype!

The Million dollar question why don't other iDEN carriers Bellsouth, Clearnet/Telus, Soco,
MIRS Communications, DNA Communications, Movicom/Movilink have similar problems? Even the
iDEN carriers on 1.5Ghz don't have the same issues as Nextel.  Everyone is afraid to
address it. They blame Lowsite, High power, Cellular architecture as the only issue that is
simply not true, even Moto Engs disagree. Many carriers deploy Lowsite, High power,
Cellular Architecture minimum issues.

It won't "FIX" all the problems. As long as Nextel continues with their "Gorilla" type
deployments the problem will continue.

The Key issues are:

* 70 watt EBTS (w/18db+ gain antennas at heights below 150Ft)

* Narrow BeamWidth Antennas

* Antennas with Poor Front to Back Ratio

* Conflicting Orientations (azimuths of several sites in a small radius don't match
frequency plan)

* Severely Down Tilted Antennas (10+ degrees are normal)

* Poor Optimization techniques many parameters left at "Default"

* Poor Quality Control of Cellsite Installations

* Ignoring Interference Alerts from Propagation Tools (Wizard, etc).

and the list goes on...................

[email-masked] wrote:

> http://www.oregonlive.com/metro/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/104790576426665
>
> 1.xml
>
> Nextel Communications has offered to pay $850 million in an all-or-nothing
> proposal that it said will fix a national problem of interference between
> wireless phone signals and police and fire radios.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
New Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power.
Get POP access, more storage, more filters, and more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/