Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola to Provide Integrated Information System to Miami-Dade County, Florida

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:47:47 -0500

Motorola to Provide Integrated Information System to Miami-Dade County, Florida

Multi-Jurisdictional System to Streamline Public Safety and Public Service Applications in
One
Shared Solution

SCHAUMBURG, Ill., March 3, 2003— Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) today announced that it will
provide Miami-Dade County with a new integrated information system that will include
Motorola’s
computer-aided dispatch (CAD), records management, mobile data and customer service
request
technologies. The Miami-Dade project is the first solution of its kind in the United
States that will
integrate Motorola’s public safety and public service technology as part of one system.

Miami-Dade County Manager Steve Shiver has been a champion for technology since his
appointment two years ago. As a result, the county has emerged as a leader in local
government
technology. “The CAD/CSR implementation will provide enormous benefit to Miami-Dade
County.
In many ways, this project will transform the way we deliver public service, providing
results that
matter to those we serve,” states Shiver.

The system, valued at $12.9 million, will enable the County’s police, fire and public
sector
agencies to quickly and efficiently respond to calls and handle incidents and requests.
The
integrated system is part of Motorola’s extensive portfolio of integrated communications
and
information solutions to address mission-critical public safety and security requirements
worldwide.

With a population of 2.3 million, Miami-Dade County is the eighth largest county in the
U.S. and
needed a public safety/ public service communications system that could handle the growing

needs of its jurisdiction.

As part of the system, Motorola’s Premier CAD™ will streamline Miami-Dade’s dispatching
process by automating call taking and dispatching functions. With Premier CAD, Miami-Dade
dispatchers and call-takers will have the ability to utilize the same system to initiate
and manage
incidents and dispatch resources. During major events that require a multi-agency
response, all
agencies now will be able to work from the same incident data and dispatchers will
immediately
know what resources have been committed.

Premier CAD will be integrated with Motorola’s Customer Service Request (CSR) system that
will
be hosted in the County’s new coordinated call center which will handle citizen’s requests
for
service, information and non-emergency needs of the County. The CSR system automates the
intake, routing, resolution and tracking of citizen’s requests into a central database.

“This revolutionary system will allow our public safety and public service agencies to
seamlessly
share information,” said Ira Feuer, assistant director of the Miami-Dade County
eGovernment
Department. “The leading edge functionality that Motorola’s technology provides is
essential to
our operations and will assist our agencies as they work to save lives, and protect and
serve the
public.”

These systems will utilize Motorola’s Advanced Tactical Mapping (ATM) application allowing
1700
Miami-Dade County workstations and vehicles to quickly and easily display maps of exact
incident and vehicle locations. Using X, Y coordinates and ESRI-based geofile technology
ATM
ensures maximum accuracy when recording or responding to an incident or request.

The Premier CAD system also will be interfaced with Motorola’s Infotrak Law Records
Management System™ (LRMS) and Premier MDC™ (PMDC) and Premier MDC Reporting
applications. Infotrak LRMS’ state-of-the-art database technology will help Miami-Dade
County to
effectively manage the recording, indexing and tracking of all criminal and non-criminal
related
incidents. With Infotrak, reports are stored electronically, which accelerates the
retrieval and
routing process and eliminates the need for paper records.
Premier MDC is a wireless data solution that will be installed in 1700 Miami-Dade police
and fire
vehicles and will provide officers and firefighters first hand knowledge of emergency
events or
dangerous situations before stepping out of their vehicles. All data transmissions will be

encrypted and secure from eavesdroppers.
The Miami-Dade Police Department has been using Motorola’s Automated Fingerprint
Identification system (AFIS) since 1986 and also uses LiveScan Station technology.
Miami-Dade County’s new system will support the new APCO Project 36 Public Safety standard

that is being implemented allowing communication between all computer-aided dispatch
systems
throughout the U.S.
The County plans to expand the system to include over 50 agencies, departments, and
unincorporated neighborhoods throughout the county and possibly additional municipalities
throughout the region. The system will be implemented in two phases with project
completion
scheduled for late 2004.
"The Miami-Dade project represents the logical next step on integrating public safety and
public
service technology in jurisdictions throughout the country," said Jim Widick, Motorola
corporate
vice president and general manager, Integrated Solutions Division (ISD). "Motorola
continues to
work with state and local governments to make information sharing initiatives a reality,
while
continuously expanding Motorola's application integration portfolio, the Digital Justice
Solution™."

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2436_1985_23,00.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/