Subject: [NEXTEL-1] *** FastMobile announced that it would deliver PTT to a US market on 1st May 2003.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:09:36 -0500

CTIA Highlights

17 March 2003 -- PMN -- CTIA Wireless 2003 opened today in New
Orleans, bringing with it a large number of announcements from the
US market. This PMN article provides a summary of the key news
items.

Openwave took centre stage by making several partnership
announcements. It has integrated Real Network's player technology
into the Openwave browser and is working with Aplix to support the
company's Java acceleration technology. Openwave also announced a
collaboration project with Microsoft, Motorola, Autodesk and Webraska
to develop location-based services technology. Further infrastructure
news from Openwave included a deal with Bitfone to integrate the
mProve over-the-air firmware update technology with the Openwave
platform and a solution for voice MMS. Application developers
Cellmania and Funmail also joined Openwave's developer programme.

Siemens is accelerating its push into North America, announcing
US-specific versions of the SL55 and M55 handsets it showed at Cebit
in Hannover last week. The German handset manufacturer also said
that it would release the SX1 Symbian OS smartphone in the US during
Q3 2003. AT&T Wireless announced that it would sell Siemens' S56 and
C56 handsets to its GSM network subscribers, expanding the range of
US carriers supporting the company's products.

Push-to-talk (PTT) services, a major theme at 3GSM in Cannes this
year, have also featured heavily during the first day of CTIA. Sonim
announced an agreement to supply its standards-based solution to
Ericsson. The Swedish infrastructure provider plans to integrate Sonim's
PTT solution into its IP Multimedia sub-system, enabling carrier
customers to deploy PTT on a national and international basis.

***FastMobile, another pioneer of PTT, announced that it would deliver a
carrier-independent, commercial service to the US market on 1st May
2003. The company already has a trial system operational in the UK.
Comverse is also showing a PTT system developed by its partner
Mobile Tornado and supporting CDMA2000 and GPRS networks.

Another emerging trend is mobile 'blogging', which allows subscribers
to maintain a web-based diary of their activities by uploading text and
pictures from their mobile handset. NewBay Software is the pioneer of
this space, but messaging provider UCP Morgen is also demonstraing a
solution at CTIA.

Research In Motion (RIM), best known for its e-mail pager devices,
formally announced a licensing programme for handset manufacturers.
This enables companies to integrate RIM 'always on' e-mail capabilities
into their own devices. Symbian announced that it would be supporting
RIM in future versions of its OS, while Microsoft hardware partner HTC
said it was working with RIM and network operator O2 to support RIM
on Pocket PC and Smartphone devices.

Danger, which provides reference specifications and an end-to-end
platform for low cost smartphone devices, announced that Triton PCS,
part of AT&T Wireless, would be the second US carrier to market a
Danger-based device. T-Mobile already sells a Danger handheld as the
'T-Mobile Sidekick'. In a separate announcement, Danger and AOL
agreed to extend AOL Mail to the Danger platform.

Building on the trend towards heavily customised handsets, technology
provider Wildseed said that South Korean manufacturer Curitel would
join Kyocera Wireless in developing hardware for its Smart Skin system.
Curitel will develop a GSM handset with integrated digital camera,
colour screen and FM radio that supports Wildseed's Smart Skin
intelligent faceplates. The product is expected to come to market in
early 2004.

TI also showed a concept design code-named WANDA, which integrates
Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and GPRS into a single, Pocket PC-powered device for
the first time. It uses TI's OMAP processors and is expected to serve
as a reference design for hardware manufacturers, enabling them to
reduce time to market.

http://www.pmn.co.uk/20030317ctia.shtml
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG