Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New York Counties Get Wireless 911 Reimbursements

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 01:07:25 -0500

New York Counties Get Wireless 911 Reimbursements

The New York state Wireless 911 Executive Board allocated $5.9 million to 18
New York counties to help fund deployment of wireless 911 location technology
in emergency dispatch centers. The funding comes from a monthly $1.20
surcharge the state collects from New York cell phone users. "This is the first
time in the 13 years that the surcharge has been collected that local
governments have received money for the development of their wireless 911
systems," said Assemblyman David Koon (D-Perinton
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Koon testifies in D.C. for cell 911
plan

Democrat and Chronicle staff and wire reports

(March 6, 2003) — ALBANY — Assemblyman David Koon testified
Wednesday before the U.S. Senate Commerce Subcommittee on
Communication on establishing a 911 emergency system for cellular
phones.

Koon, D-Perinton, is leading the national push since his kidnapped
daughter, Jennifer, was killed in 1993 after authorities could not trace her
cell phone call for help. Koon is also sponsoring state legislation to pay for
development of enhanced wireless emergency service throughout the
state.

His bill passed the Assembly last month.

Sen. Joseph Robach, R-Greece, will sponsor the bill in the state Senate
and introduce it next week, Koon said.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/news/0306story17_news.shtml

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monroe getting $72,327 for cell
911

Democrat and Chronicle

(March 11, 2003) — Monroe County will receive a $72,327 reimbursement
for equipment purchased for a 911 system for cellular phones.

The money is part of $20 million approved by the state Legislature last
year to help equip emergency dispatch centers with the ability to pinpoint
the location of cellular phone callers. The funding comes from revenue
received on a $1.20 surcharge on cellular phones.

“This is the first time in the 13 years that the surcharge has been
collected that local governments have received money for the
development of their wireless 911 systems,” said Assemblyman David
Koon, D-Perinton.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/news/0311story14_news.shtml
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/