Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Anne Arundel County, Md. Awards Motorola Contract for New Communications System

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:53:00 -0500

Anne Arundel County, Md. Awards Motorola Contract for New Communications System

New Technology Enables Interoperability With Agencies Throughout Maryland
SCHAUMBURG, Ill., March 5, 2003 – Anne Arundel County in Maryland has awarded Motorola
(NYSE:MOT) a contract for a new $12.7 million 800 MHz communications system to enable
public safety agencies countywide to respond more quickly and efficiently to emergency
calls.
The system is part of Motorola’s extensive portfolio of integrated communications and
information
solutions to address mission-critical public safety and security requirements worldwide.

The sophisticated solution will replace the county’s aging 15-year-old system, enabling
police and
fire departments throughout the county to communicate with each other and with other
agencies
throughout Maryland when multi-jurisdictional response is required.

“We have learned that interoperability is an absolute necessity in these grave times of
uncertainty,” said Janet S. Owens, Anne Arundel county executive.

The new system is designed to also enhance reliability with improved audio quality and
on-street
coverage for public-safety officers in the field. Infrastructure at four existing tower
sites is being
upgraded to make coverage even more reliable, said Owens.

Mobile vehicular repeaters will be used to enable communications in buildings that
currently have
inadequate radio reception. The county is purchasing 1,100 Motorola digital mobile and
portable
radios with technology designed to reduce interference.

“Each day, public safety officers across Anne Arundel County put their lives at risk to
protect us,”
said Owens. “In times of danger, radio communications may be the only lifeline for these
men and
women. We must do all we can to ensure that the lifeline will be there if and when it is
needed.”

“This system will provide state-of-the-art equipment that will hopefully help increase our

effectiveness and enhance officer safety,” said County Police Chief Thomas Shanahan.
“Dependable coverage is essential in enabling our officers to effectively manage
situations where
lives can be saved or lost in a matter of seconds.”

Agencies will use the system’s channels to set-up pre-arranged talk groups, allowing
county
officials, police and fire departments to communicate effectively among themselves as well
as
with the State police and other system users.

The Motorola 800 MHz ASTRO® SmartZone® 16-channel digital system uses simulcast
technology to ensure that radio users anywhere in the county can communicate with each
other.
All messages will be broadcast from all sites.

“This is the most important capital project undertaken in the county, and Motorola is a
true
partner in helping to design a system that provides the reliable coverage and
interoperability we
sought,” said Owens.

Anne Arundel County, spanning 416 square miles with a population of 490,000, is home to
the
state’s capital, Annapolis. All Anne Arundel public safety agencies will use the system,
which is
expected to go online in 2004. Officials say future expansion is being designed to include

additional radios and tower sites and public works agencies.

“We are proud to provide Anne Arundel with a system that will fit their specific needs in
responding to mission-critical situations both now and well into the future,” said Mark
Moon,
Motorola Communications and Electronics, Inc. vice president and general manager of the
Southern Division.

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2445_1992_23,00.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/