Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Strongest signal class-action lawsuits face consolidation hearing

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:15:45 -0500

Strongest signal class-action lawsuits face consolidation hearing
March 21 12:55:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—The Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation is slated to hold a hearing this
week in the class-action
lawsuits against the mobile-phone industry regarding whether phones comply with the 911
strongest-signal rules.

The hearing is set to occur in Charleston, S.C.

The Wireless Consumers Alliance filed several lawsuits late last year claiming that none
of the 33 phones it tested met
the Federal Communications Commission's 911 strongest-signal rules adopted in 1999.

WCA filed lawsuits against Sprint Corp. and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. in the U.S. Court
for the Southern District of
New York, in federal court in Washington state against AT&T Wireless Services Inc. and
Nokia Corp., and in the U.S.
Court for the Central District of California against Cingular Wireless L.L.C. and L.M.
Ericsson. Verizon Wireless and Nextel
Communications Inc. were not named in any of the lawsuits.

The FCC gave the carriers and their manufacturer partners several options on how to
implement the rules. Under one
option, the phone must inform the caller that a 911 call has been placed by both an
audible message and a message on
the phone screen and the phone must connect to the preferred carrier within 17 seconds or
switch to the non-preferred
carrier. All phones with an analog mode were required to comply with this rule as of Feb.
13, 2000.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=7747

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/