Subject: [NEXTEL-1] A rare glimpse of reclusive Craig McCaw

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:52:35 -0500

A rare glimpse of reclusive Craig McCaw

By Sharon Pian Chan
Seattle Times technology reporter

NEW ORLEANS — The reclusive Craig McCaw and his wife, Susan McCaw, attended the annual
reception for the board of
directors of Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association Sunday night at the
D-Day Museum.

The reception was hosted by Tim Donahue, chief executive officer of Nextel Communications,
the wireless carrier McCaw
founded, and Ron Smith of Intel.

Wireless stats. In the CTIA show's morning keynote address yesterday, CTIA President Tom
Wheeler presented the results
of the association's survey of the U.S. wireless industry.

At the end of 2002, there were 141 million wireless subscribers in the United States, a 10
percent increase from 2001. Total
industry revenue in 2002 increased 17 percent to $76.5 billion from 2001.

The average monthly bill grew 2 percent to $48.40, while average minutes used per month
grew 7 percent to 404. Interestingly,
revenue from non-voice services, or wireless data, is expected to exceed $1 billion in
2003.

Doing business. AT&T Wireless in Redmond announced a joint roaming agreement with Cingular
Wireless. AT&T
Wireless also announced several initiatives to expand international services. ...
Microsoft is partnering with Research in
Motion to make RIM's BlackBerry e-mail technology available for Microsoft's Smartphone and
Pocket PC operating
systems. Sprint PCS said it will offer two Microsoft Pocket PC devices. ... 4thpass, a
Seattle subsidiary of Motorola, signed
China Mobile as a customer for its Mobile Application Server. ... Wildseed, a
wireless-technology firm in Kirkland,
announced Korean handset manufacturer Curitel as a customer for its cellphone-faceplate
technology. ... Toshiba will use
Seattle-based Qpass' transaction software as part of Toshiba's Wireless Broadband Hotspot
Solution.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=134655276&zsection_id=268448455&slug=ctianotebook18&date=20030318

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/