Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC to Review Use of Spectrum in the 2500-2690MHz Bands

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:45:10 -0500

FCC to Review Use of Spectrum in the 2500-2690MHz Bands

The Federal Communications Commission on Thursday opened a proceeding to
examine whether schools, churches and some companies can exercise greater
flexibility in how 190MHz of spectrum at 2500-2690MHz is used. The spectrum
was allocated for Instructional Television Fixed Service, Multipoint Distribution
Service, and Multichannel Multipoint Distribution Service in 1963. In October
2002, the Wireless Communications Association International, the National ITFS
Association and the Catholic Television Association, who represent license
holders of the 190MHz of spectrum, asked the FCC to consider changing the
rules that govern its use. The spectrum was intended for distance learning,
educational television and fixed wireless services, but also is ideal for wireless
voice, data and networking services. Few argue that the spectrum in the bands is
underused, but some are concerned that given the opportunity, schools, for
example, would cash in on the valuable resources in an effort to alleviate tight
budgets, a move they might later regret. The FCC will receive public comment on
the issue for 135 days.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FCC Proposes More Spectrum for Mobile Broadband

Story Filed: Friday, March 14, 2003 9:28 AM EST

Mar 14, 2003 (Internet.com via COMTEX) -- The Federal Communications Commission is
considering allowing schools,
churches and several companies in the private sector to sell or lease spectrum they
control. The FCC anticipates the proposed
rule changes will provide alternatives for the provision of mobile broadband services for
consumers in urban, suburban and rural
areas.

Currently, the 190 megahertz of spectrum in the 2500-2690 MHz bands is designated for the
provision of Instructional
Television Fixed Service (ITFS), Multipoint Distribution Service (MDS) and the
Multi-channel Multipoint Distribution Service
(MMDS).

On Oct. 7, the Wireless Communications Association International, the National ITFS
Association and the Catholic
Television Network (collectively known as the Coalition) submitted a proposal requesting
that the FCC substantially change
the rules governing the spectrum in their licensed space.

In the Notice of Propose Rulemaking, the FCC requests comment on operational, technical,
and procedural rule changes.
Specifically, the FCC invites comment on how to reconfigure the 2500-2600 MHz band.

"By today's notice, the Commission explores ways for the American people to enjoy the full
potential of a large parcel of
previously underutilized, prime spectrum real estate," FCC Chairman Michael Powell said.
"The opportunity is monumental --
the MMDS/ITFS band encompasses 190 MHz of contiguous spectrum. This is more than double
the 83 MHz that spurred the
development of WiFi at 2.4 GHz. It is roughly equal to all spectrum currently devoted to
terrestrial, mobile wireless."

Powell said the space has been underutilized by the "heavy hand" of regulation.

"The time has come chip off the regulatory barnacles encumbering ITFS and MMDS," said
Powell. "By this Notice, we explore
opportunities to increase licensed use of the 2.5 GHz band via spectrum auctions, examine
unlicensed spectrum options, and
evaluate rule changes to effectuate our earlier decision to add a mobile allocation to the
band."

Commissioner Michael Copps, however, expressed concern over the idea of allowing those who
received their spectrum for
free in return for providing educational services now profiting from the deal.

"ITFS licensees were given their spectrum for free. This makes sense as they are public
schools and non-profit educators and
were required to use their spectrum to serve the public through education," Copps said.
"Many private MMDS and MDS
licensees also received their spectrum for free. If we allow these licensees to sell their
spectrum, we could see a rush of
licensees who received their spectrum for free selling their licenses and pocketing the
proceeds. If this occurs we will be
vulnerable to charges of allowing windfall profits using the public spectrum."

By Roy Mark URL: http://www.internet.com

-----------------------------------------------------------

3/13/03
FCC Initiates Proceeding to Facilitate Wireless Broadband
Access in the 2500-2690 MHz Bands.
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-232107A1.doc

--    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/