Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RICHARDSON DECISION FILINGS FROM WIRELESS CARRIERS MEAN FURTHER E 9-1-1 IMPLEMENATATION DELAYS]

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 04:04:01 -0800

RICHARDSON DECISION FILINGS FROM WIRELESS CARRIERS

               MEAN FURTHER E 9-1-1 IMPLEMENATATION DELAYS

February 27, 2003, Daytona Beach, FL - The Association of Public Safety
Communication Officials (APCO) International today announced its
disappointment and frustration with T-Mobile, Cingular Wireless and
Nextel Communications over their recent filing of petitions for
reconsideration to the Federal Communication Commission's (FCC)
"Richardson Decision."The "Richardson Decision" adopted by the FCC
certified criteria for determining the requirements of a pubic safety
answer point (PSAP) to apply for life-saving location services from
wireless carriers.

APCO, working with wireless industry and other public safety groups
through the Emergency Services Interconnection Forum (ESIF), has been
operating under the perception that the wireless industry and the public
safety community had established a consensus on criteria for certifying
PSAP readiness in accordance with FCC rules.The latest petition for
reconsideration from T-Mobile, Cingular Wireless and Nextel
Communications is "disappointing and alarming considering the world
conflict" according to APCO International President Thera Bradshaw.

With Phase II implementations now active in areas covering over 35
million people in both urban and rural markets, the latest petitions for
reconsideration submitted by T-Mobile, Cingular Wireless, and Nextel
Communications open the door for additional delays in the widespread
implementation of this critical, life-saving technology.

The time has passed to challenge the commission on these lifesaving
rules.APCO encourages all stakeholders and the carriers to focus on
deployment activities and how to achieve meeting the requirements.The
fact remains that many areas of the country are ready to receive Phase
II enhanced 9-1-1 services.

"As wireless callers now account for approximately 50 percent of all
9-1-1 calls, APCO remains committed to aggressively work with the
wireless industry and the FCC to ensure that all potential delays in
Phase II implementation are minimized," Bradshaw said. "People are
depending on all of us to ensure every call, no matter where, any time,
any place gets help when calling 9-1-1."

About APCO International

The Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials -
International, Inc. - is the world's oldest and largest not-for-profit
professional organization dedicated to the enhancement of public safety
communications.With more than 15,000 members around the world, APCO
International exists to serve the people who manage, operate, maintain,
and supply the communications systems used to safeguard the lives and
property of citizens everywhere.

                                   ###

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 07:26:23 -0800

While Nextel sweet talks public safety on the "Interference" issue they
have creeped up from behind and stabbed public safety (and the consumer)
in the back and twisted the knife several times on the matter of PSAP
certification.

So when is a "Consensus" not really a "Consensus"?
When you deal with Nextel-

For most of  us who know "How Business Gets Done" this is not
surprising, but for others in the public safety community this comes as
a great disappointment.

For the details read:

Nexthell Whines About E-911 Phase II To the Commission
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/message/5306

Marcel wrote:

> February 27, 2003, Daytona Beach, FL - The Association of Public
> Safety Communication Officials (APCO) International today announced
> its disappointment and frustration with T-Mobile, Cingular Wireless
> and Nextel Communications over their recent filing of petitions for
> operating under the perception that the wireless industry and the
> public safety community had established a consensus on criteria for
> certifying PSAP readiness in accordance with FCC rules.The latest
> petition for reconsideration from T-Mobile, Cingular Wireless and
> Nextel Communications is "disappointing and alarming considering the
> world conflict" according to APCO International President Thera
> Bradshaw.
>
> million people in both urban and rural markets, the latest petitions
> for reconsideration submitted by T-Mobile, Cingular Wireless, and
> Nextel Communications open the door for additional delays in the
> widespread implementation of this critical, life-saving technology.
>
> depending on all of us to ensure every call, no matter where, any
> time, any place gets help when calling 9-1-1."
>
> About APCO International
>
> professional organization dedicated to the enhancement of public
> safety communications.With more than 15,000 members around the world,
> APCO International exists to serve the people who manage, operate,
> maintain, and supply the communications systems used to safeguard the
> lives and property of citizens everywhere.
>                                  ###
>
>
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        ADVERTISEMENT

>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.