Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Pictures of- RUSSIAN AVIACONVERSIA PORTABLE GPS AND GLONASS JAMMER SYSTEM (U)

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:42:16 -0500

The Following Report from the National Air Intelligence Center "NAIC" has been Sanitized.
The report details (including pictures) the GPS unit made by AVIACONVERSIA.
A similar device is believed to be in use in IRAQ. (Or was)

(Sorry for the caps below this was the original format)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
271454Z AUG 97SUBJ: RUSSIAN AVIACONVERSIA PORTABLE GPS AND GLONASS JAMMER SYSTEM (U)

SUMMARY:

(U) CONFEX - THE RUSSIAN FIRM AVIACONVERSIA MARKETED AND DISPLAYED ITS PORTABLE GPS AND
GLONASS
JAMMER AT THE MOSCOW AIR SHOW '97, 19-24 AUG 97, IN MOSCOW, RUSSIA. THE 4-WATT JAMMER JAMS
CIVILIAN AND
MILITARY FREQUENCIES OF GPS AND GLONASS UP TO A RANGE OF 200 KM. PROTOTYPE AT THE SHOW -
LOOKING
FOR BUYERS.

TEXT:

1. (U) THE REPORTING OFFICER (RO) SPOKE WITH DR. OLEG ((ANTONOV)), DIRECTOR OF
AVIACONVERSIA (ADDRESS -
103009 MOSCOW, TVERSCAYA, D.27-2, OFFICE-88, TELEPHONE/FAX +095 2995454) ABOUT THE
GPS/GLONASS JAMMER
AT THE MOSCOW AIR SHOW '97, IN MOSCOW, RUSSIA. THE JAMMER SHOWN IN ENCL 1 AND 2 IS FULLY
FUNCTIONAL -
THIS IS NOT A CONCEPT. DR. ANTONOV SAID THAT HIS COMPANY WAS WITHIN A WEEK OF FINALIZING
THE NEXT
GENERATION GPS/GLONASS JAMMER THAT REDUCES THE SIZE AND MASS OF THE JAMMER BY SLIGHTLY
OVER 50
PERCENT. DR. ANTONOV SAID THAT HE HAS ALREADY RECENTLY MARKETED THE JAMMER IN THE MIDDLE
EAST AND
SAID HE HAS SEVERAL POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS THERE. HE DECLINED TO ELABORATE FURTHER AS TO WHO
MAY
HAVE ALREADY CONTRACTED FOR HIS JAMMER. DR. ANTONOV SAID THE SOPHISTICATION OF THE SIGNAL
JAMMERS
WAS BEYOND THE TECHNICAL ABILITY OF HIS MIDDLE EASTERN CUSTOMERS. HE SAID THAT BESIDES
RUSSIA, ONLY
FRANCE, THE UNITED STATES, GERMANY, ITALY, SWEDEN/NORWAY, AND POSSIBLY ISRAEL ARE ABLE TO
BUILD
THESE SOPHISTICATED SIGNAL GENERATORS. TO INSURE THE BOX WAS ACTUALLY FUNCTIONAL, THE RO
ASKED FOR
DR. ANTONOV TO DEMONSTRATE THE SYSTEM. DR. ANTONOV AGREED TO AND BEGAN TO CONNECT THE
POWER
SUPPLY. WHEN TH RO ASKED IF HIS JAMMING MAY INTERFERE WITH AIRCRAFT IN THE VICINITY, DR.
ANTONOV SAID
THAT WHILE SOME PILOTS USE GPS AS PART OF THEIR NAVIGATION PACKAGE, GPS IS NOT LISTED
INTERNATIONALLY
ANYWHERE AS AN AIRCRAFT COMPONENT AND INDICATED ITS NAVIGATION USE CONSEQUENTLY DID NOT
NEED TO BE
RESPECTED. AT THIS POINT, THE RO DID NOT WANT TO BECOME POTENTIALLY PARTIALLY RESPONSIBLE
FOR ANY
AVIATION MISHAP THAT MIGHT RESULT. INSTEAD OF TURNING ON THE JAMMER, THE RO ASKED DR.
ANTONOV TO
UNSCREW THE BACK ASSEMBLY AND HEAT SINK SO THAT THE RO COULD INSPECT THE COMPONENTS. DR.
ANTONOV
TOLD THE RO THAT THE JAMMER HAD TWO MODULES. THE FIRST MODULE CONTAINED FOUR SIGNAL
GENERATORS
THAT INDIVIDUALLY JAMMED THE FREQUENCIES OF CIVILIAN GPS, MILITARY GPS, CIVILIAN GLONASS,
AND MILITARY
GLONASS. AS DR. ANTONOV WAS STARTING TO UNSCREW THE PLATES, THE RO KNEW THAT HE WAS
LOOKING AT A
FUNCTIONAL DEVICE.

2. (U) THE GPS/GLONASS JAMMER HAS AN OUTPUT POWER OF 4 WATTS AND CAN EFFECTIVELY DENY USE
OF GPS IN
AN AREA RANGING AS FAR AS 150-200 KM. DR. ANTONOV SAID THAT HE HAS ALREADY WORKED IN
CONJUNCTION WITH
THE RUSSIAN MILITARY WITH DIRECTIONAL ANTENNAS FOR HIS JAMMER SO THAT IT CAN BE USED TO
DIRECTIONALLY
JAM WHILE MAINTAINING SAFE AREAS FOR FRIENDLY FORCES TO ACCESS GPS OR GLONASS. THE
COEFFICIENT OF
ANTENNA AMPLIFICATION RANGES FROM 2-5, DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF ANTENNA USED. THE
ELECTRICAL INPUT
SUPPLY IS EITHER BATTERY OR DC LINE VOLTAGE. DR. ANTONOV PRODUCED BOTH 15 V AND 6 V
SUPPLIES THAT RAN
OFF OF 230 VOLTS LINE INPUT. THE JAMMER DISSIPATES 25 WATTS WHEN IN USE AND WEIGHS BETWEEN
8-12 KG
WITHOUT BATTERIES, DEPENDING ON THE CONFIGURATION. IN THE FRONTAL VIEW OF THE JAMMER SHOWN
IN BOTH
ENCL 1 AND 2, TWO KNOBS CAN BE SEEN AT THE BASE. THE LEFT KNOB IS FOR FREQUENCY
MODULATION, AND
RANGES FROM 0-6 MHZ. THE RIGHT KNOB IS FOR "VELOCITY CHANGE OF MODULATION" AND RANGES FROM
44-270 HZ.
A PORTION OF THE ABOVE DATA IS CONTAINED IN ENCL 3, WHICH IS IN RUSSIAN. THE RO HAD ENCL 3
LOOSELY
TRANSLATED, VERBALLY.

3. (U) DR. ANTONOV SAID HIS NEXT TESTING WOULD BE ON AN AIRBORNE PLATFORM, WITH THE
ASSISTANCE OF THE
RUSSIAN MILITARY. HE SAID THAT, IN A PREVIOUS TEST, FOUR TYPES OF GPS AND GLONASS DEVICES,
TO INCLUDE
ONE PRODUCED BY MAGELLAN, WERE SUBJECTED TO JAMMING AT REMOTE DISTANCES AND ALL THE
NAVIGATION
DEVICES FAILED IN THE FACE OF THE JAMMING. HE SAID THAT HE HAD STRONG INDICATIONS THAT HIS
TEAM,
WORKING WITH THE RUSSIAN MILITARY, SUCCESSFULLY JAMMED A DEVICE WITH P-CODE CAPABILITY.
WHEN THE RO
ASKED FOR MORE DETAIL ON THIS, DR. ANTONOV WOULD NOT ELABORATE.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG