Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Navigation Technologies Powers Motorola's Location-Based Software Solution For Wireless Devices

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:32:00 -0500

Navigation Technologies Powers Motorola's Location-Based Software Solution For Wireless
Devices

March 17, 2003 11:00am

CHICAGO, March 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Navigation Technologies, a leading provider of digital
maps for vehicle
navigation, Internet/wireless applications and business solutions, is powering Motorola's
Location and
Services software solution, VIAMOTO, their first wirelessly delivered and hosted
location-based services
(LBS) solution for North America. Live demonstrations of this groundbreaking solution are
available during
CTIA at Navigation Technologies' booth (booth #6519).

GOVIAMOTO, part of the VIAMOTO software
suite, leverages NAVTECH® digital maps by
turning global positioning system (GPS)
capable handsets into powerful navigation
systems. The GOVIAMOTO software on
Motorola's iDEN i88s handset for Nextel
provides step-by-step voice directions to a
requested destination. GOVIAMOTO
automatically calculates the user's position via
GPS or a user can enter a starting point for
route guidance. Once a user selects a
destination, GOVIAMOTO calculates the
optimal route and navigates the user to the
destination via this route.

GOVIAMOTO uses a combination of
audiovisual prompts to guide the user through
turn-by-turn directions. It is the first navigation
solution in the world to incorporate NAVTECH
Map Voice Data to deliver proper street and location names. This enables users to receive
audible prompts
such as "turn left on Bourbon Street in 300 feet" as well as directional arrows or
"maneuver icons" on the
phone or PDA display.

The solution also offers advanced search capabilities providing routing information for
future travel. Visitors,
for example, can get directions from a New Orleans hotel to a restaurant on Bourbon Street
prior to arriving.
A live "advisor" is also available providing services such as directory assistance,
technical support and
personalization requests. Users can contact advisors to get their current GPS acquired
location and have it
marked as a personal Point-of-Interest (POI) for future routing.

GOVIAMOTO integrates GPS location technology with NAVTECH maps and NAVTECH Voice Data to
deliver optimized routes to destinations. FINDVIAMOTO software offers thousands of POIs
broken out by
category (restaurants, hotels, government buildings and gas stations, etc.) to make
destination selection
easier. Because the application is server based, users can access wirelessly relevant
location information
based on where they are now. The VIAMOTO suite of location and services software is now
available
through the Nextel iDen network.

Navigation Technologies and Motorola will demonstrate the power of this LBS solution at
the CTIA Wireless
Conference being held March 17 - 19 in New Orleans. Using the GPS-enabled Motorola iDEN
i88s handset
for Nextel and Nextel's nationwide packet data network, show attendees will experience the
transformation
of a cellular phone into a mobile navigation solution. This 20-minute demo takes show
attendees on a
technology enhanced bus tour of the French Quarter where the quality of NAVTECH maps can
be
experienced first hand on the VIAMOTO phone. The demonstration will run from 11 a.m. to 4
p.m. Monday
and Tuesday and Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

"Navigation Technologies and Motorola have brought together technologies that offer
consumers a
groundbreaking mobile navigation solution. The demo here at CTIA highlights the accuracy,
depth and power
of our data because it leverages the complexity of both NAVTECH map and voice data," says
Navigation
Technologies' George Filley, Vice President - Internet/Wireless Group.

About Navigation Technologies

Navigation Technologies creates the digital maps that power navigation and location-based
services around
the world. The Chicago-based company was founded in 1985 and is privately held. The
company's 1,200
employees are in over 100 offices in 18 countries. For more information, visit
www.navtech.com .

NAVTECH is a registered US trademark of Navigation Technologies Corporation.

http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?layout=query_displaynews&q=NEXTEL&so=&dc=&ro=&ed=&sd=&s=1&boldtext=NEXTEL&sym=&doc_id=NR200303171680.2_b76a0016750e076e

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Your own Online Store Selling our Overstock.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/