Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cross Fleet Harassment

From: "njnextel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 19:51:52 -0000

Now that we can Direct Connect to other companies, another problem 
arises. How do you prevent someone outside your company from Direct 
Connecting You?? Some people have nothing better to do than play with 
the key pad until they get someone to bother. Also, you may have 
given your Private ID to someone that you no longer wish to talk to. 
There must be a way to "Block" these calls.. ANYONE? KNOW? 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Evan Platt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:46:34 -0800

>There must be a way to "Block" these calls.. ANYONE? KNOW?

There isn't YET. I've been told it's in the works.

Keep in mind, cross fleet has been available for about 6 months. I have yet 
to get ANY of those types of calls.

The only thing I know you can do (now) is not allow cross fleeting.

Evan 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online-No late fees! Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YKLNcC/oEZFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Al Gerth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:00:31 -0500

Direct connecting other companies has existed for several years.  Direct 
connecting across larger areas in new.

Sometimes it depends on what business your in   Just don't answer the 
direct connect if you don't want to talk back to the calling party.  It 
works just like a ringing landline phone.  If you want to do business with 
the person calling, then you will answer.  If you don't then you won't answer.
Blocking calls is a matter of how you want to use your direct connect.

Al Gerth

---

From: "greg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:24:18 -0800 (PST)

The newer phones (i90, i95 etc) allow you to set up lists of callers that
are allowed to make contact with you.  essentially, you can lock your
phone down to those in your contact list and the phone won't make any
noise when somebody unauthorized tries to ptt you.  setting up a new
'style' on the phone gives you access to these features and only takes a
few minutes to tinker with to your liking.

-greg-

> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> ---------------------~--> Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or
> We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for Trying!

-----

"i've been playing with wireless communications for over 20 years now and
owned a cellphone of some sort for the past 10 years.  if the alarmists
who say RF radiation in all forms is dangerous were right, i would be
blind, sterile and have tumors growing around my ears."

+-----------------------------------------------+
[email-masked]//[email-masked]|
|Greg Stramback//Dispatcher//Communications Tech|
|Emergency Services Dept.  Volunteer Coordinator|
|NeXTeL:510-773-6968//EmergencyAT&T:408-930-1958|
|fax:510-668-0911//"i'm here to save you" - F242|
+-----------------------------------------------+

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: "Sparky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:06:56 -0000

Some phones have a function that allows you to only accept calls from 
those in your phonebook. That might be a valid solution unless you 
expect lots of calls from outside of your normal phone list. 

Mike L. (Sparky)

---

From: Scott Chester <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:57:49 -0800

Is this possible with direct connect... I haven't seen a method to  
control the d/c other than on and off for everyone.

Is there some new feature I need to figure out how to use.

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 12:24  PM, greg wrote:

> ---------------------~-->
-- 
Scott Chester
CBC Technical Services
[email-masked]
**CHANGE** (760) 908-3046 Nextel  **CHANGE**
(760) 723-3892 fax/voicemail
PO Box 158
Fallbrook, CA  92088-0158

---

From: "greg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:28:30 -0800 (PST)

nope... you're right scott... i didn't bother to take a closer look at the
filtering options.  for the phone book you can selectively filter but it
appears that the only control for incoming DC's would be allowing all or
none.

and that sucks.

i know that you can have your phone locked down to only accept DC's from
the fleet you're assigned to, but that's an account parameter and not
something you can just change on the fly.  defeats the entire purpose of
cross-fleet and cross-market dispatch.  maybe they'll come out with a
firmware flash upgrade to allow selective filtering of DC's.

-g-

>> owned a cellphone of some sort for the past 10 years.  if the
>> alarmists who say RF radiation in all forms is dangerous were right, i
>> would be blind, sterile and have tumors growing around my ears."
>>

-----