Subject: [Modern] Last Call: <draft-ietf-modern-problem-framework-03.txt> (Modern Problem Statement, Use Cases, and Framework) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 13:01:27 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Managing, Ordering, Distributing,
Exposing, & Registering telephone Numbers WG (modern) to consider the
following document: - 'Modern Problem Statement, Use Cases, and Framework'
  <draft-ietf-modern-problem-framework-03.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-02-15. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The functions of the public switched telephone network (PSTN) are
   rapidly migrating to the Internet.  This is generating new
   requirements for many traditional elements of the PSTN, including
   telephone numbers (TNs).  TNs no longer serve simply as telephone
   routing addresses: they are now identifiers which may be used by
   Internet-based services for a variety of purposes including session
   establishment, identity verification, and service enablement.  This
   problem statement examines how the existing tools for allocating and
   managing telephone numbers do not align with the use cases of the
   Internet environment, and proposes a framework for Internet-based
   services relying on TNs.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-modern-problem-framework/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-modern-problem-framework/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.