Subject: [Monami6] Comments before WGLC on draft-ietf-monami6-mipv6-analysis-03.txt

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:30:40 +0200

Dear all,

The MIP6 Analysis WG draft has been updated. We would be happy to get
comments on this document prior to the Monami6 meeting next Wednesday
in Chicago, the goal being the issue of a WGLC right after the IETF
meeting. 

ATTENTION PLEASE *** For comments on this update and open issues,
please answer in a separate thread for each issue and update the
subject line accordingly ***

Please find below a justification fot the main updates and after this a
list of remaining points open for discussion, but this summary should
not prevent you for re-reading the complete draft since there are
substancial changes.

=== Summary of changes between version -03 and -02 ===

Changes in version -03 should be taken as suggestions, we can roll back
in case of disagreement - for people who don't know, you can easily see
the changes using the RFC diff tool: please see the results in the
attached file for your convenience.

- vast editorial brushup almost everywhere throughout the entire
document, including the following:
  -- remove some redundancies,
  -- many sentences in active mode changed to passive mode 
  -- use coherent wording/terms throughout the document

- "Interface switching/Flow distribution" replaced with "Flow
Distribution". The former was replaced with the later whenever
appropriate.

- Taxonomy: changed (Hx,Cy) to (x,y): this is controversial and Nicolas
didn't agree with me, but I think (Hx,Cy) is harder to grasp.

- Section 3: capabilities reordered according to order of importance

- Section 5: Title changed from "Scenarios" to "Configuration" in order
to avoid confusion with the Motivation & Scenario draft.

- Section 5: the line "Achievable Goals" being almost all the same,
this was removed, and replaced with a paragraph at the top of the
section.

- Section 6: Reordered the "General IPv6-Related Issues" (as in
draft-ietf-nemo-multihoming-issues)

- Section 6.1.2: Issue "Path Exploration" added (to comply with
draft-ietf-nemo-multihoming-issues)

- Section 6.1.4: Issue 6.3.4 "Flow Redirection" reworded and moved to
section 6.1.4 and renamed as "Rehoming" (to comply with
draft-ietf-nemo-multihoming-issues)

- Section 6.2.3: Issue "HA Synchronisation" added

- Added sections "Security consideration", "IANA considerations" and
references now splitted in normative and informational.

=== Open discussion points ===

- Section 6.1. Shall all generic issues discussed in
draft-ietf-monami6-multhoming-motivation-scenario be discussed in
draft-ietf-monami6-mipv6-analysis from a MIPv6 angle ? (I think so)

- Section 6: Is the issue list complete ?

- Currently, the document mostly considers HoA and CoA. We wonder if
the document should deal more with the multiple HA address case than it
currently does. Note that this would require quite substancial changes
to the document, possibly on the taxonomy itself. So, it the document
is coherent in present state, we should rather not add this, unless
there is an important perceived interest.

- The Routing Optimization feature of MIPv6 may bringing another
alternative in the path selection (choose the optimized path or the one
through the HA) which is not really discussed. I consider this choice
as part of the multihoming-related decisions. Thoughts ?

- Table 6.4 will have to be proof-checked (once issues are
considered stable)

- More reference to Shim6 work should be added in appropriate issues.

- Do we agree in the classification "MIPv6 Issues" and "Implementation
Issues" ?

- Do we need a section explaining the reasons why failure could occur
(HoA fails, CoA fails, interface fails, ...) ? (in Appendix or
somewhere else ?)

- Is the text in Appendix at the right place or should it be
moved/merged somethere else ? 

Thierry.

Analysis of Multihoming in Mobile IPv6

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-monami6-mipv6-analysis-03.txt

Mobile IPv6 as specified in RFC 3775 allows a mobile node to maintain
its IPv6 communications while moving between subnets.  This document
investigates configurations where a mobile node running Mobile IPv6 is
multihomed.  The use of multiple addresses is foreseen to provide
ubiquitous, permanent and fault-tolerant access to the Internet,
particularly on mobile nodes which are more prone to failure or sudden
lack of connectivity.  However, Mobile IPv6 currently lacks support for
such multihomed nodes.  The purpose of this document is to detail all
the issues arising through the operation of Mobile IPv6 on multihomed
mobile nodes.

--
Thierry ERNST, PhD 
INRIA Rocquencourt France Project-Team IMARA / JRU LARA
http://www.lara.prd.fr +33 1 39 63 59 30 (office)
-- 
The coming end of the IPv4 world: http://penrose.uk6x.com

_______________________________________________
Monami6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/monami6