Subject: [Monami6] Comments before WGLC on draft-ietf-monami6-multihoming-motivation-scenario-02.txt

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:21:40 +0200

Dear all,

The motivations and scenarios WG draft has been updated. We would be
happy to get comments on this document prior to the Monami6 meeting
next Wednesday in Chicago, the goal being the issue of a WGLC right
after the IETF meeting. 

Please find below a list of the updates and remaining points open for
discussion (changes in version -02 should be taken as suggestions, we
can roll back in case of disagreement - for people who don't know, you
can easily see the changes using the RFC diff tool: please see the
results in the attached file for your convenience):

=== Changes between version -02 and -01 ===

- various editorial changes throughout the document.

- most scenarios have been updated in order to look more "realistic". 

- the scenario with the most important changes is 3.4 which now refers
to the ongoing work within the ITS industry (Intelligent Transportation
Systems), e.g. ISO's CALM architecture.

- issue 6.4 title changed from "Address Change" to "Transparency"

- conclusion rewritten

=== Open discussion points ===

- I would like to know in which extend
draft-ietf-monami6-mipv6-analysis, draft-ietf-nemo-multihoming-issues
and draft-ietf-monami6-multhoming-motivation-scenario should be
uniformized, particularly 

- Section 3: I think we should also consider the Aeronautic scenario,
and the Personal Mobile Router scenario has presently discussed in the
NEMO WG with respect to NEMO RO. This would somewhat fulfill a gap and
would be useful for people outside the IETF.

- Section 6: Is the issue list complete ?

Thierry.

Motivations and Scenarios for Using Multiple Interfaces and Global
Addresses
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-monami6-multihoming-motivation-scenario-02.txt

In this document, multihoming is investigated from an end-node point of
view, and not from a site point of view as the term "multihoming" is
commonly understood so far.  The purpose of this document is to explain
the motivations for fixed and mobile nodes (hosts and routers) using
multiple interfaces and the scenarios where this may end up using
multiple global addresses on their interfaces.  Such multihoming
configurations can bring a number of benefits once appropriate support
mechanisms are put in place.  Interestingly, this analysis is generic,
i.e. motivations and benefits of node multihoming apply to both fixed
end nodes and mobile end nodes.

-- 
Thierry ERNST, PhD 
INRIA Rocquencourt France Project-Team IMARA / JRU LARA
http://www.lara.prd.fr +33 1 39 63 59 30 (office)
-- 
The coming end of the IPv4 world: http://penrose.uk6x.com
_______________________________________________
Monami6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/monami6

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:04:46 +0200

Dear all,

please find attached the description of an additional scenario that highlights the motivation and advantages of multihoming for aeronautical communication systems.

This scenario could be included as sub-section 3.8 in the document draft-ietf-monami6-multhoming-motivation-scenario-02.

Kind regards,

Christian Bauer, Serkan Ayaz, Nuria Riera, Frank Schreckenbach

PS: This scenario was defined within the NEWSKY - Networking the Sky - project co-founded by the European Commission and with the aim to develop a global mobile communication network for aeronautical communications based on IPv6 technologies.

----
Frank Schreckenbach
German Aerospace Center (DLR)
Institute of Communications and Navigation
Telephone: +49 (0) 8153 282899
Mobile: +49 (0) 172 2911473
Telefax: +49 (0) 8153 281442
[email-masked]
NEWSKY project: www.newsky-fp6.eu

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Thierry Ernst [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 18. Juli 2007 13:22
An: ml-ietf-monami6
Betreff: [Monami6] Comments before WGLC on draft-ietf-monami6-multihoming-motivation-scenario-02.txt

Dear all,

- conclusion rewritten

Thierry.