Subject: [MEXT] Resolving Issue #1 (Last Accepted SQN)

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 15:23:33 -0700

Hello folks,

I have made the revisions to resolve and close Issue #1.

The intention in RFC 3775 was pretty clearly to allow the mobile
node to update its record for the sequence number.  An authenticated
Binding Acknowledgement is clearly useful for this purpose.  The
discussion up until now was sticking on the need for a new protocol
element, which Ahmad specified as an extension.

Since I'm in the process of collecting mailing-list inputs and
trying to make recommendations according to the discussion
so far, I thought I'd like to at least suggest a text revision for
rfc3775bis that (a) allows the original intention of RFC 3775
but (b) does not require a new protocol element.

========================================================================

OLD TEXT:

  o  The Sequence Number field matches the Sequence Number sent by the
     mobile node to this destination address in an outstanding Binding
     Update.

========================================================================

NEW TEXT:

  o  The Sequence Number field matches the Sequence Number sent by the
     mobile node to this destination address in an outstanding Binding
     Update, and the Status field is not 135.

... and, just before the bulleted text for Status field #1 (currently on
   pg. 139):

  o  Additionally, if the Binding Acknowledgement correctly passes
     authentication and the Status field value is 135 (Sequence Number
     out of window), then the mobile node MUST update its binding
     sequence number appropriately to match the sequence number given
     in the Binding Acknowledgement.  Otherwise, if the Status field
     value is 135 but the Binding Acknowledgement does not pass
     authentication, the message MUST be silently ignored.

========================================================================

Regards,
Charlie P.

_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext