Subject: [Mops] Updated charter, with milestones

From: "Leslie Daigle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 12:25:35 -0400

Hi,

Here’s an updated proposal for the charter.  Key updates include 
milestones, and a bit of language adjustment in the first paragraph to 
make it not seem like we are asking network operators to declare they 
are crumbling in the face of video.

Input appreciated.

Media OPS WG

Internet- and Internet-protocol-delivered media is widespread, leading 
to significant technology development across industries not 
traditionally thought of as Internet technology developers or operators, 
as well as considerable quantities of traffic on local and transit 
networks. MOPS’ focus is on identifying areas where existing protocols 
and/or networks are challenged by these updated requirements.

MOPS will solicit input on operational issues and practices, existing 
and proposed technologies related to the deployment, engineering, and 
operation of media streaming and manipulation protocols and procedures 
in the global Internet, inter-domain and single domain networking. In 
this case, media is considered to include the transport of video, audio, 
objects and any combination thereof, possibly non-sequentially. The 
scope is media and media protocols’ interactions with the network, but 
not the technologies of control protocols or media formats.

The premise of MOPS is that continued development of Internet-using 
technologies should be properly coordinated in order to ensure that the 
existing technologies are well-utilized, and new ones are developed in 
sympathy with the Internet’s core protocols and design. MOPS acts as a 
clearinghouse to identify appropriate venues for further protocol 
development, where necessary.

MOPS goals include documenting existing protocol and operational issues 
with media on the Internet, and identifying requirements for potential 
IETF work.

To those ends, MOPS will:

1/ Solicit regular updates from other media technology developing 
consortia/standards bodies working with IETF-developed protocols.

2/ Solicit input from network operators and users to identify 
operational issues with media delivery in and across networks, and 
determine solutions or workarounds to those issues.

3/ Solicit discussion and documentation of the issues and opportunities 
in media acquisition and delivery, and of the resulting innovations 
developed outside the IETF

4/ Document operational requirements for media acquisition and delivery.

5/ Develop operational information to aid in operation of media 
technologies in the global Internet.

These activities should document media operational experience, including 
global Internet, inter-domain and within-domain operations.

Media operational and deployment issues with specific protocols or 
technologies (such as Applications, Transport Protocols, Routing 
Protocols, DNS or Sub-IP Protocols) are the primary responsibility of 
the groups or areas responsible for those protocols or technologies. 
However, the MOPS Working Group may provide input to those areas/groups, 
as needed, and cooperate with those areas/groups in reviewing solutions 
to MOPS operational and deployment problems.

Future work items within this scope will be adopted by the Working Group 
only if there is a substantial expression of interest from the community 
and if the work clearly does not fit elsewhere in the IETF.

There must be a continuous expression of interest for the Working Group 
to work on a particular work item. If there is no longer sufficient 
interest in the Working Group in a work item, the item may be removed 
from the list of Working Group items.

Milestones

Feb 2020 Draft of edge network operational considerations for streaming 
media (was Taxonomy of Issues in Internet Media)

Feb 2020 Initial draft operational considerations for low latency 
streaming video applications

Mar 2020 Draft documenting Streaming Video Alliance (SVA) reliance on 
IETF protocols

Mar 2020 Draft documenting Society of Motion Picture and Television 
Engineers (SMPTE) protocol reliance on IETF protocols

Jul 2020 Last-call document on Streaming Video Alliance (SVA) reliance 
on IETF protocols (including explicit outreach to SVA)

Jul 2020 Last-call document on Society of Motion Picture and Television 
Engineers (SMPTE) protocol reliance on IETF protocols (including 
explicit outreach to SMPTE)

Jul 2020 Revised draft of edge network operational considerations for 
streaming media

Jul 2020 Revised draft operational considerations for low latency 
streaming video applications

Nov 2020 Last-call document on edge network considerations for streaming 
media

Nov 2020 Last-call document on operational considerations for low 
latency streaming video applications

Nov 2020 Develop work items specific to media acquisition and delivery

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Leslie Daigle
Principal, ThinkingCat Enterprises
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------