Subject: [Mops] Updates on draft-ietf-mops-streaming-opcons

From: "Holland, Jake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 21:01:18 +0000

Hi mops,

Just wanted to send an update.

We're settling into a weekly cadence on regular editing sessions for
draft-ietf-mops-streaming-opcons and trying to work through our list
of issues, aiming toward the milestone of getting ready for a last
call to begin approximately on time.  (We don't anticipate it being
necessary, but if anyone is interested in attending one or more of
these informal sessions, please reach out to me, Spencer, or Ali.)

We just posted a work-in-progress snapshot to capture the latest of
what we've covered and un-expire the draft, but of course we still
have several other items on our plate as captured in the current
issues list:
https://github.com/ietf-wg-mops/draft-ietf-mops-streaming-opcons/issues

I also wanted to share a procedural update about our intent going
forward:

Based on discussion in today's session, we're also planning to change
from our prior approach of making separate PRs in the repo and then
discussing them before merging, to a new process of making commits to
the default branch and then discussing changes that are still needed
based on the head state of that branch, with the primary discussion
forum for the details of the text for most issues being the issue
threads in the github repo, except where there's substantive on-list
discussion.

We believe for this doc at its current stage, this will help us by
making it easier to read through the full current proposed text,
rather than reviewing a lot of different branches separately with
different areas of content, particularly since some of the content
has some overlapping concerns.

Please do continue to contribute comments and text suggestions, either
via pull requests or via on-list email (or off-list when necessary).
We're all very grateful to those who have done and continue to do so,
it's a big help.

Thanks and regards,
Jake

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 15:05:27 -0500

Dear MOPS,

After a couple of days working in the Brave New World that Jake described
in his note below, I have a suggestion.

I'm planning (unless someone stops me) to continue to create a branch for
PRs I'm working on, in order to prevent multiple editors clobbering updates
to the default branch.

I do think it's very important that we merge PRs as quickly as possible in
order for the working group to be able to see the current state of play in
Github, and I also think it's important for us to submit the default branch
more often, for ease of reference by working group participants who don't
Github (yet).

So I hope the only changes that the working group will see is on this
mailing list are more frequent draft submissions available for discussion,
and more entries in the "Weekly github digest (MOPS Activity Summary)" that
is sent to this mailing list weekly (most recently, at
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/mops/EcNucOInWioFps7LafwmRUWb6Bo/),
which is a good resource for working group participants who don't Github
(yet).

Does this make sense?

Best,

Spencer

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 4:01 PM Holland, Jake <jholland=
[email-masked]> wrote:

> --
> Mops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mops
>

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 21:23:48 +0100

Hi Spencer, Jake,

I support whatever process works for you.

FWIW I think some of the risk you mention about I-Ds trailing the leading
edge of editors work can be alleviated by hosting an editors copy that is
auto updated with every commit to the main branch.

Way back I did raise an issue about this [1] and it was fixed in Jul 2020,
thanks! But it seems the continuous integration tooling is clobbered and
the editor copy is now stale. I've fought Travis myself, it's not great and
can be unintuitive.

More recently, GitHub actions have made things a lot easier and I'm even
able to get it running on repo forks without any effort. The I-D tooling
now supports GitHub actions but I don't know how easy it is to switch over.

[1] -
https://github.com/ietf-wg-mops/draft-ietf-mops-streaming-opcons/issues/21