Subject: [Mpls-interop] definition of subnetwork

From: Huub van Helvoort <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:16:13 +0100

Hi,

During the MEAD CC last week it was mentioned that the term
"subnetwork" has different meanings in IETF and ITU-T.
As an alternative term "OAM domain" was suggested.

In ITU-T Y.1711 (OAM for MPLS) I found the following definition:

3.7  subnetwork: A subnetwork is a contiguous topological
    region of a network delimited by its set of peripheral
    access points, and is characterized by the possible routing
    across the subnetwork between those access points. A network
    is the largest subnetwork and a node is the smallest
    subnetwork (at least in practical physical terms, though
    there are smaller subnetworks within nodes).

How much does this definition differ from the IETF definition,
and is the difference sig nificant enough to find a new term?

Cheers, Huub.

-- 
================================================================
                   http://www.van-helvoort.eu/
================================================================
Always remember that you are unique...just like everyone else...

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:29:20 -0000

A subnetwork has too many old connotations wrt IP addressing in the IETF.

We introduced "domain" in CCAMP and PCE with a specific definition (see RFC 
4726 and RFC 4655). We described "domain" for mapping to ITU-T terminology 
in RFC 4397.

A "domain" in that context certainly includes an ITU-T subnetwork.

The term "OAM domain" is certainly useful, but be careful that this is just 
*a* type of domain. Not all domains are necessarily OAM domains.

Thanks,
Adrian
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Huub van Helvoort" <[email-masked]>
To: "MEAD team" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:16 PM
Subject: [Mpls-interop] definition of subnetwork

> _______________________________________________
> Mpls-interop mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-interop
>

---

From: Ben Niven-Jenkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:15:58 +0000

MPLS-TP Requirements draft contains a definition of domain.

   Domain: A domain represents a collection of entities (for example
   network elements) that are grouped for a particular purpose, examples
   of which are administrative and/or managerial responsibilities, trust
   relationships, addressing schemes, infrastructure capabilities,
   aggregation, survivability techniques, distributions of control
   functionality, etc.  Examples of such domains include IGP areas and
   Autonomous Systems.

Suggest referring to that when defining OAM domain and just highlighting the
specifics of an OAM domain rather than trying to redefine domain completely.

Ben

---

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A, ATTLABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:22:16 -0400

Domain is also aligned with ITU's G805 (management domain) and
G8081/G8080 (as Adrian notes - there are different types of domains -
control, management, recovery, etc):
"A domain represents a collection of entities that are grouped for a
particular purpose."

Deborah

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Adrian Farrel
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:29 AM
To: [email-masked]; MEAD team
Subject: Re: [Mpls-interop] definition of subnetwork

A subnetwork has too many old connotations wrt IP addressing in the
IETF.

We introduced "domain" in CCAMP and PCE with a specific definition (see
RFC 
4726 and RFC 4655). We described "domain" for mapping to ITU-T
terminology 
in RFC 4397.

The term "OAM domain" is certainly useful, but be careful that this is
just 
*a* type of domain. Not all domains are necessarily OAM domains.

Thanks,
Adrian