Subject: [Mpls-interop] Question for Clarification on the MPLS-TP OAM Requirement Draft

From: "Sprecher, Nurit (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:58:49 +0200

Martin,

I have a question for clarification on section 2.1.2.

In the first bullet it is written that "In some environments...IP
routing and forwarding capabilities are inherently present. In this
case, the OAM functionality MUST support the use of IP routing and
forwarding capabilities." 

I guess that MUST means that the protocol MUST support OAM mechanisms
based on IP functionality to be able to run it in this environment, but
do not require that this will be necessarily the implementation in this
environment. Right? We can still may select to use OAM mechanisms in
this environment that are not based on IP functionality. Right? It is
just that the protocol MUST support it.

I'll appreciate if you can confirm it or clarify the intention.

Thanks and best regards,

Nurit.

----------------------------------------- 
Best regards, 

Nurit Sprecher

Nokia Siemens Networks GmbH & Co. KG 
Industry Environment

Senior Specialist, Carrier Ethernet Transport

3 Hanagar St. Neve Ne'eman B

45241 Hod Hasharon, Israel

Tel. +972 9 7751229

Mobile +972 54 2200954 
Email: [email-masked] <blocked::mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: "BUSI ITALO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 00:42:43 +0200

Nurit,
 
I have the same interpretation as you have.
 
I wonder whether not to rephrase the paragraph on the basis of what you
wrote below.
 
Italo

________________________________

	From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Sprecher, Nurit (NSN
- IL/Hod HaSharon)
	Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:59 PM
	To: VIGOUREUX MARTIN
	Cc: MEAD team
	Subject: [Mpls-interop] Question for Clarification on the
MPLS-TP OAMRequirement Draft

	Martin,

	In the first bullet it is written that "In some
environments...IP routing and forwarding capabilities are inherently
present. In this case, the OAM functionality MUST support the use of IP
routing and forwarding capabilities." 

	I guess that MUST means that the protocol MUST support OAM
mechanisms based on IP functionality to be able to run it in this
environment, but do not require that this will be necessarily the
implementation in this environment. Right? We can still may select to
use OAM mechanisms in this environment that are not based on IP
functionality. Right? It is just that the protocol MUST support it.

	Thanks and best regards,

	Nurit.

	Nurit Sprecher

	Tel. +972 9 7751229

	Mobile +972 54 2200954 
	Email: [email-masked]
<blocked::mailto:[email-masked]>