Subject: [Mpls-interop] Question on the ETSI arrangements

From: Thomas Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:31:37 -0400

All,

It's been 2 or 3 years since I was last in Sophia but my recollection was that while ETSI had great facilities, the local infrastructure posed a challenge.  It would be nice to get some recommendations from anyone who visits Sophia on a regular basis to some basic issues:

1)       ETSI even says Sophia is "uncomfortable" for walkers on rainy days.  It's more than that.  Even on a good day, if you have any issues with walking its just bad.  As I recall the only hotel reasonably situated to ETSI was the Mercure (is that right?) - otherwise bring your climbing shoes and be prepared to walk up and again back down the dirt paths.
2)       A car is a necessity.  The restaurant situation in Sophia is poor except for the hotels which are, well put bluntly, hotel restaurants.  Taking a taxi to Nice for dinner is prohibitively expensive.
3)       Staying in Nice with a car might be attractive but some 2 or 3 years ago the traffic in an out of Nice at rush hour made this very difficult.  Does anyone know if it's the same or has it improved?
4)       There may be a compromise to stay in a town between Sophia and Nice if anyone can make suggestions.

Other tips from people who travel to ETSI frequently would be most welcome I am sure.

Tom Walsh

---

From: "BUSI ITALO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:37:10 +0200

Tom,
 
I usually stay at the Novotel and walk to ETSI facilities.
 
I fully share your recommendation to have a car there.
 
If you have problems walking you can go to ETSI facilities by car. In
this case I suggest not to be late (as I usually am) to get a convenient
parking lot.
 
If you wish to stay on the coast, I would suggest Antibes or Juan Les
Pin.
 
Italo

________________________________

	From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Thomas Walsh
	Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:32 AM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Mpls-interop] Question on the ETSI arrangements

	All,

	It's been 2 or 3 years since I was last in Sophia but my
recollection was that while ETSI had great facilities, the local
infrastructure posed a challenge.  It would be nice to get some
recommendations from anyone who visits Sophia on a regular basis to some
basic issues:

	1)       ETSI even says Sophia is "uncomfortable" for walkers on
rainy days.  It's more than that.  Even on a good day, if you have any
issues with walking its just bad.  As I recall the only hotel reasonably
situated to ETSI was the Mercure (is that right?) - otherwise bring your
climbing shoes and be prepared to walk up and again back down the dirt
paths.

	2)       A car is a necessity.  The restaurant situation in
Sophia is poor except for the hotels which are, well put bluntly, hotel
restaurants.  Taking a taxi to Nice for dinner is prohibitively
expensive.  

	3)       Staying in Nice with a car might be attractive but some
2 or 3 years ago the traffic in an out of Nice at rush hour made this
very difficult.  Does anyone know if it's the same or has it improved?

	4)       There may be a compromise to stay in a town between
Sophia and Nice if anyone can make suggestions.  

	Other tips from people who travel to ETSI frequently would be
most welcome I am sure.

	Tom Walsh

---

From: Huub van Helvoort <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:50:56 +0200

Hello Tom,

You wrote:

> 1)       ETSI even says Sophia is “uncomfortable” for walkers on rainy 
> days.  It’s more than that.  Even on a good day, if you have any issues 
> with walking its just bad.  As I recall the only hotel reasonably 

No, the closest hotel is the Omega, you can walk up to ETSI on paved
road, the next is the Novotel, twice the distance, still on paved roads,
then the IBIS and Mercure, either through the woods or (longer) paved
path.

> 2)       A car is a necessity.  The restaurant situation in Sophia is 
> poor except for the hotels which are, well put bluntly, hotel 
> restaurants.  Taking a taxi to Nice for dinner is prohibitively expensive. 

Indeed.

> 3)       Staying in Nice with a car might be attractive but some 2 or 3 
> years ago the traffic in an out of Nice at rush hour made this very 
> difficult.  Does anyone know if it’s the same or has it improved?

I agree, alternate stays in Antibes, Juan les Pins, Cannes, but still
rush hour traffic (in the morning).

> Nice if anyone can make suggestions.  

Stay in a hotel in Sophia and use the car to go to ETSI and to dinner.

> Other tips from people who travel to ETSI frequently would be most 

Regards, Huub.

---

From: Thomas Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:08:46 -0400

Also very good help.  Many thanks for this Huub.  

I hope this may help more than just me on this list as I recall careful planning is needed when visiting ETSI for a meeting.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Huub van Helvoort
> Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:51 AM
> Subject: Re: [Mpls-interop] Question on the ETSI arrangements
> 
> Hello Tom,
> 
> You wrote:
> 
> > 1)       ETSI even says Sophia is "uncomfortable" for walkers on rainy
> > days.  It's more than that.  Even on a good day, if you have any issues
> > difficult.  Does anyone know if it's the same or has it improved?
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Mpls-interop mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-interop

---

From: Thomas Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:06:52 -0400

Italo,

Thanks this is great help.

Now I recall, maybe it wasn't that the Mercure was the closest but it did shuttle people up and down the hill to and from ETSI by a hotel car.  Do you know if all the hotels do that or only some?  I think it was only some.

Tom

________________________________
From: BUSI ITALO [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:37 AM
To: Thomas Walsh; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Mpls-interop] Question on the ETSI arrangements

Tom,

If you have problems walking you can go to ETSI facilities by car. In this case I suggest not to be late (as I usually am) to get a convenient parking lot.

If you wish to stay on the coast, I would suggest Antibes or Juan Les Pin.

Italo

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Thomas Walsh

Tom Walsh

---

From: "BUSI ITALO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:09:59 +0200

Tom,
 
I am sorry but I am not aware of any shuttle service.
 
I usually walk or drive from my hotel to ETSI.
 
Italo

	From: Thomas Walsh [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:07 PM
	To: BUSI ITALO; [email-masked]
	Subject: RE: [Mpls-interop] Question on the ETSI arrangements

	Italo,

	Now I recall, maybe it wasn't that the Mercure was the closest
but it did shuttle people up and down the hill to and from ETSI by a
hotel car.  Do you know if all the hotels do that or only some?  I think
it was only some.

	Tom

	Tom,

	If you have problems walking you can go to ETSI facilities by
car. In this case I suggest not to be late (as I usually am) to get a
convenient parking lot.

	If you wish to stay on the coast, I would suggest Antibes or
Juan Les Pin.

	Italo

		Subject: [Mpls-interop] Question on the ETSI
arrangements

		All,

		1)       ETSI even says Sophia is "uncomfortable" for
walkers on rainy days.  It's more than that.  Even on a good day, if you
have any issues with walking its just bad.  As I recall the only hotel
reasonably situated to ETSI was the Mercure (is that right?) - otherwise
bring your climbing shoes and be prepared to walk up and again back down
the dirt paths.

		2)       A car is a necessity.  The restaurant situation
in Sophia is poor except for the hotels which are, well put bluntly,
hotel restaurants.  Taking a taxi to Nice for dinner is prohibitively
expensive.  

		3)       Staying in Nice with a car might be attractive
but some 2 or 3 years ago the traffic in an out of Nice at rush hour
made this very difficult.  Does anyone know if it's the same or has it
improved?

		4)       There may be a compromise to stay in a town
between Sophia and Nice if anyone can make suggestions.  

		Other tips from people who travel to ETSI frequently
would be most welcome I am sure.

		Tom Walsh