Subject: [Mpls-interop] FW: Comment on MPLS-TP OAM Reqs document

From: "Sprecher, Nurit (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 15:37:44 +0200

Hi,
Please find below the comments Yaacov sent to the authors of the MPLS-TP
OAM requirements. 
Best regards,
Nurit

_____________________________________________
From: Weingarten, Yaacov (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon) 
Sent: Sunday, April 05, 2009 9:59 AM
To: VIGOUREUX MARTIN; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: Sprecher, Nurit (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon); ext Loa Andersson;
[email-masked]
Subject: Comments on MPLS-TP OAM Reqs document

Hi,

Attached is a commented version of the latest MPLS-TP OAM requirements
documented.  In order to update the OAM Analysis and align it with the
latest version of the OAM requirements it would be helpful if you could
address these comments, expeditiously!  Thanx for your help in this
matter.
 <<draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-requirements-01-commented.doc>> 

Best regards,
 
Yaacov Weingarten
Industry Environment, Carrier Ethernet
Nokia Siemens Networks
Hod Hasharon, Israel 45241
Tel: +972-9-775 1827
Mob: +972-54-220 0977

---

From: Ben Niven-Jenkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 00:19:21 +0100

Couple of opinions to a couple of the comments

      In some environments (e.g., IP/MPLS environments), IP routing and
      forwarding capabilities are inherently present. In this case, the
      OAM functionality MUST support the use of IP routing and
      forwarding capabilities.

YW comment: Why is this a MUST support  I was always under the impression
that they Should NOT preclude IP forwarding, but this seems to say that it
must use the IP Forwarding if the network supports it!

BN: I can see your point. However, if the network supports IP forwarding why
would one want to use something else?

Really the "MUST not preclude IP forwarding" statement is about saying
"Please don't run off and invent something that fits nicely in traditional
transport land but precludes all of us in data land from reusing it as well
without deploying some additional networking/forwarding/routing protocol"

I would like to think we are all agreed that the future for DCNs
("transport" and "data") is IP. In the transport world we are not there yet
although it is the direction I perceive everyone is trying to head
(certainly in BT it is the direction we are heading). Therefore it seems
reasonable to me that if the transport network under consideration already
supports IP forwarding/routing then the OAM for that network MUST support IP
routing/forwarding capabilities. That is not to say the OAM can't also
support other routing/forwarding capabilities.

On 06/04/2009 14:37, "Sprecher, Nurit (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Mpls-interop mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-interop

---

From: Ben Niven-Jenkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 00:25:08 +0100

So I have my keyboard shortcuts muddled and sent instead of pasted - D'Oh.

My second comment to Yaacov's comments

   The design of OAM mechanisms, for MPLS-TP, MUST support the ability to
   use vendor specific and experimental OAM functions.  These
   functions MUST be disabled by default.

YW comment: Question for clarification  at what level is it enabled
(shouldn't we state that enabling does not require a management or control
plane?)

BN: I am not sure really what you are asking? Is it that such vendor
specific/experimental OAM should be allowed to be enabled via the device
CLI? If so then the answer is yes (IMO CLI is a [degenerate] form of
management plane)

Ben

---

From: "Annamaria Fulignoli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:18:28 +0200

Hi all,
I agree with comments Yaacov sent . Besides,  here other comments.
Regards,
Annamaria

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Sprecher, Nurit (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)
Sent: lunedì 6 aprile 2009 15.38
To: IETF MEAD team
Cc: Weingarten, Yaacov (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)
Subject: [Mpls-interop] FW: Comment on MPLS-TP OAM Reqs document

Hi,

Please find below the comments Yaacov sent to the authors of the MPLS-TP OAM requirements. 

Best regards,

Nurit

_____________________________________________
From: Weingarten, Yaacov (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)
Sent: Sunday, April 05, 2009 9:59 AM
To: VIGOUREUX MARTIN; [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]
Cc <mailto:[email-masked]> : Sprecher, Nurit (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon); ext Loa Andersson; [email-masked]
Subject <mailto:[email-masked]> : Comments on MPLS-TP OAM Reqs document

Hi,

Attached is a commented version of the latest MPLS-TP OAM requirements documented.  In order to update the OAM Analysis and align it with the latest version of the OAM requirements it would be helpful if you could address these comments, expeditiously!  Thanx for your help in this matter.

Best regards,

Yaacov Weingarten

Nokia Siemens Networks

Tel: +972-9-775 1827

Mob: +972-54-220 0977