Subject: [mpls-tp] MPLS-TP Scope and PTN Interworking

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:08:57 +0100

Hi,

The issue of horizontal "stateless" interworking between MPLS-TP and other 
PTNs (specifically Ethernet) came up in the discussions of 
draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-requirements-02.txt both during MPLS working group 
last call, and within the ITU-T during their review of the document.

The context was driven by Y.Sup4 Section 8 Requirement 23.

I took this issue to the IESG last week to determine whether such 
interworking was in scope for the MPLS-TP effort.

The IESG has directed me to say that the topic is not in scope for either 
the MPLS working group or the PWE3 working group.

Furthermore, the IESG directs that this is not in scope for the MPLS-TP 
effort or any of the IETF working groups chartered to work on MPLS-TP. 
Requirements for this type of interworking were not brought to the JWT and 
were not documented in draft-ietf-mpls-tp-requirements-09.txt that has been 
agreed for publication by the IETF and by the ITU-T.

Thanks,
Adrian