Subject: [mpls-tp] MPLS-TP tunnel

From: venkatesan mahalingam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:55:34 +0530

Hi All,
*MPLS-TP Tunnel -> Is it TE (RSVP_TE/CRLDP/Static) or NON-TE tunnel
(LDP/static) or generic term represents an MPLS LSP?*
**
 From  *MPLS-TP Identifiers*  - d*raft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers-00, I read
the below statements,*

o  Tunnel

   Note that we have borrowed the term tunnel from RSVP-TE (RFC
3209<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3209>
)
   [5 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers-00#ref-5>]
where it is used to describe an entity that provides an LSP
   connection between a source and destination LSR which in turn is
   instantiated by one or more LSPs, where the additional LSPs are used
   for protection or re-grooming of the tunnel.

Is this Tunnel same as MPLS-TP tunnel?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Venkat.

---

From: Maarten Vissers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:55:16 +0100

For me a MPLS-TP Tunnel LSP connection is a LSP connection with end points
on two adjacent PE nodes. 
The Tunnel LSP connection starts at the NNI port on PE A and may pass
through zero or more P nodes and then terminate on the NNI port of the next
PE node.
 
The Tunnel LSP connection carries an aggregate of Service layer signals
(e.g. Service LSP signals and/or VPLS (Ethernet VLAN/VC) signals.
 
Note that a Service LSP connection may carry one individual customer signal
(e.g. one T1, one VLAN, one ATM VC), or a bundle (i.e. aggregate) of
customer signals (e.g. set of T1s, set of VLANs, set of ATM VCs). 
A Service LSP connection which carries a bundle of customer signals is not a
"Tunnel LSP" connection. A Service LSP connection has its endpoints on the
UNI-N ports of PE nodes, not on the NNI ports of PE nodes. 
 
A Tunnel LSP connection is set up prior to the receipt of service requests,
based on the expected service demand; a Tunnel LSP connection is part of the
infrastructure of the MPLS-TP transport network.
A Service LSP connection is set up after receipt of a service request.
 
A Service LSP connection segment represents a subset of the complete Service
LSP connection. 
A segment terminates on NNI ports of adjacent or non-adjacent PE nodes
(which are passed through by the Service LSP connection).
A Service LSP connection segment may be monitored; if required MPLS-TP MEP
functions are activated on the NNI ports of the PE nodes terminating the
segment.
A Service LSP connection segment does not represent a Tunnel LSP connection!
I.e. the addition of a label stack entry header in the segment monitoring
MEP function does not create a Tunnel LSP connection. 
 
A Tunnel LSP connection segment represents a subset of the complete Tunnel
LSP connection. 
A segment terminates on NNI ports of a PE and an adjacent or non-adjacent P
node, or on NNI ports of adjacent or non-adjacent P nodes (which are passed
through by the Tunnel LSP connection).
A Tunnel LSP connection segment does not represent another Tunnel LSP
connection! I.e. the addition of a label stack entry header in the segment
monitoring MEP function does not create another Tunnel LSP connection.
 
-----------
 
G.805 defines several types of connection. What are the equivalent terms for
those types in IETF?
 
    G.805                                           IETF
========================================================================
1) network connection  ---------------------  connection?
2) subnetwork connection -------------------  ?
3) link connection -------------------------  ?
4) tandem connection -----------------------  connection segment?
5) serial-compound link connection ---------  ?
 
Regards,
Maarten

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of venkatesan mahalingam
Sent: maandag 16 november 2009 18:26
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [mpls-tp] MPLS-TP tunnel

Hi All,
MPLS-TP Tunnel -> Is it TE (RSVP_TE/CRLDP/Static) or NON-TE tunnel
(LDP/static) or generic term represents an MPLS LSP?
 
 From  MPLS-TP Identifiers  - draft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers-00, I read the
below statements,
 
o  Tunnel

   Note that we have borrowed the term tunnel from RSVP-TE (RFC 3209
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3209> )
   [5 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers-00#ref-5> ]
where it is used to describe an entity that provides an LSP
   connection between a source and destination LSR which in turn is
   instantiated by one or more LSPs, where the additional LSPs are used
   for protection or re-grooming of the tunnel.

Thanks in advance,
 
Regards,
Venkat.