Subject: Ethernet Label Assignment Question

From: Bora Akyol <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 12:58:41 -0800

One quick question about label assignment on Ethernets.

Let us assume that there are three routers on an Ethernet, A, B, C.

Is there any requirement that A, B, C coordinate the labels that they
assign on this Ethernet segment. Specifically, should A, B coordinate
all labels they assigned to packets that come from C, and B,C to A, etc.

Thanks

Bora

---

From: [email-masked] (Anoop Ghanwani)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:08:39 -0500 (EST)

> all labels they assigned to packets that come from C, and B,C to A, etc.

There's no need for any such coordination for unicast traffic.
Labeled packets are sent to a unicast MAC address corresponding 
to the router that assigned the label.

For multicast, there would need to be some coordination, but
the problem is not specific to Ethernet media.

-Anoop