Subject: Re: About mpls forwarding

From: Digendra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:35:15 +0530

Hello All,

I have following issue while implementing RSVP in MPLS over ATM environment on WinNT
OS.
Please let me know if somebody came across similar kind of issue or have any
resolution.

RSVP is a hop by hop protocol.
If RSVP is in non-MPLS environment, it can use IPOA for hop by hop forwarding
till the destination.

In MPLS over ATM environment, MPLS mechanism should find the next hop for the
destination and then choose the label (vpi/vci) corresponding to the next hop to
forward with that label (on that vpi/vci). If we choose the label based on its
destination address then the RSVP packet will be label switched till the destination
and hop by hop processing will not be done.
If we are using WinNT, then the forwarding engine at LER has to be implemented in
the ATM Card Driver. The routing table is not accessible from the Driver on WinNT.
So the next hop info for the destination will not be available.

What should we do to forward the RSVP messages in MPLS environment for its hop by
hop processing, in this scenario?

Thanks and Regards,
Digendra