Subject: Consensus on the MPLS signaling protocols

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 16:06:35 +0200

All,

we have found that we have reached a workable consensus in the
discussion on MPLS signaling protocol for traffic engineering
applications.

The consensus is based on the earlier attempted consensus mails
sent by the Working Group chairs to the MPLS mailing list, and
discussion on the list.

Consensus has been reached on:

- that the MPLS WG needs to focus its efforts on RSVP-TE as protocol
   for traffic engineering signaling.

- that the Working Group effort on CR-LDP should be discontinued.

- that the WG charter should be updated to reflect this.

- that CR-LDP (RFC 3212) will remain a proposed standard.

- that RFCs 3213 and 3214, that is closely related to CR-LDP will remain
   proposed standard.

- that existing Working Group drafts related to or updating/changing
   CR-LDP will be progressed through the standards process to
   proposed standard or informational RFCs as appropriate.

- that "the existing cr-ldp working group documents" are:
     draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-query-nn.txt
     draft-ietf-mpls-te-feed-nn.txt
     draft-ietf-mpls-crldp-unnum-nn.txt
     draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ft-nn.txt
     draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-cr-ldp-nn.txt
     draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-sonet-sdh-nn.txt
     draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-sonet-sdh-extensions-nn.txt

- that the IETF will take on no new Working Group documents
   related to CR-LDP.

- that the IETF will entertain no efforts to promote CR-LDP beyond
   proposed standard.

- that individual contributions to CR-LDP area are not prohibited, but
   discouraged.

- that a message will be sent to the relevant standards organizations
   notifying them of this change of focus on MPLS signaling protocols.

A more detailed documentation of the consensus, the process through 
which it was reached are found in

http://62.119.0.68/~loa/tally.htm

and

http://62.119.0.68/~loa/draft-andersson-mpls-sig-decision-00.txt

The later is a Internet Draft that will be sent to the IESG to be
published as an Informational RFC as confirmation of the Working
Group consensus.

Comments on this Internet Draft are welcome.

Loa and George

-- 
     Loa Andersson
     Chief Architect,
     Utfors Research, Architecture and Future Lab (URAX)
     Utfors AB
     Råsundavägen 12
     Box 525, 169 29 Solna
     Office          +46 8 5270 2000
     Office direct   +46 8 5270 5038
     Mobile          +46 70 848 5038
     Email           [email-masked]
     WWW             www.utfors.se