Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-restart-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 07:57:17 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Graceful Restart Mechanism for LDP
	Author(s)	: M. Leelanivas, Y. Rekhter, R. Aggarwal
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-restart-04.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2002-9-11
	
This document describes a mechanism that helps to minimize the
negative effects on MPLS traffic caused by Label Switching Router's
(LSR's) control plane restart, and specifically by the restart of its
Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) component, on LSRs that are capable
of preserving the MPLS forwarding component across the restart.
The mechanism described in this document is applicable to all LSRs,
both those with the ability to preserve forwarding state during LDP
restart and those without (although the latter need to implement only
a subset of the mechanism described in this document).  Supporting (a
subset of) the mechanism described here by the LSRs that can not
preserve their MPLS forwarding state across the restart would not
reduce the negative impact on MPLS traffic caused by their control
plane restart, but it would minimize the impact if their neighbor(s)
are capable of preserving the forwarding state across the restart of
their control plane and implement the mechanism described here.
The mechanism makes minimalistic assumptions on what has to be
preserved across restart - the mechanism assumes that only the actual
MPLS forwarding state has to be preserved; the mechanism does not
require any of the LDP-related state to be preserved across the
restart.
The procedures described in this document apply to downstream
unsolicited label distribution. Extending these procedures to
downstream on demand label distribution is for further study.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-restart-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-restart-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-restart-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.