Subject: RE: Nodal Fault

From: Mohit Misra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 19:09:47 -0500

Well, the similar case arises during the system startup though you don't
call it a nodal fault.
During the startup all the cross connections (that were persisted) are
restored first before the RSVP gets started. Restoring the cross connection
would be taken care by the Connection memory of the switch rather than the
RSVP during the startup. RSVP can then use the restart cap to restore the
control plane.

						Mohit

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 4:45 PM
To: Mareline Sheldon
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Nodal Fault

hi Mareline!
     IMHO Nodal faults is a genre of faults that include both the data and
control path failure. The case of just the control path failing shall be a
special case of a Nodal fault.

     Generally the signalling protocols are so designed that they should
come to
know immediately of the node (control plane) going down and take corrective
action. Whether the data plane is up or not is I guess irrelevant for the
corrective action as     there is no reliable means to determine this (as
the
control path is down).

best regards,
sumit

Mareline Sheldon <[email-masked]> on 09/17/2002 02:49:46 PM

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Sumit Chauhan/HSS)

Subject:  Nodal Fault

Hi,
As i understand, the Nodal faults belong to the genre of faults wherein the
control plane at
the node fails while all the data plane connections are maintained. This
could
be if the
reachability to the neighbouring nodes is lost, or the control processor
fails
or after a
restart or RSVP daemon crashes.

Can there be any other scenario when this may happen i.e control plane
information is lost but
data plane is still preserved.

regards,
mareline s.

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com