Subject: Can anyone answer my questions?

From: "Hong Liao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:55:10 -0400

"Hong Liao"                                                                            
                    <hliao@telcor        To:     [email-masked]                                               
                    dia.com>             cc:     (bcc: Hong Liao/Telcordia)                                
                                         Subject:     Can anyone give me a point:  RSVP te question for    
                    10/17/02             section 4.7.4                                                     
                    10:43 AM                                                                               

Hi all,

I have two questions for section 4.7.4.

1) if the three tests mentioned in this section fail, should router send a
patherr msg with the error code 'routing problem' or error code 'policy
control failure'?
 I think it should be the error code 'routing problem'.

2)  In the spec and this section, it was not clear that what kind of value
should be put in the 'link-attr', 'exclude-any',
'include-any','include-any' in order to trigger the router to generate the
patherr msg above.  I would like to know how to set the value in this
field, and give me an example on how to create this scenario with what kind
of value in these fields?

Thanks in an advance for your help.

Julia

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:24:53 -0400

>  I think it should be the error code 'routing problem'.

That's what section 4.7.4 says:

	For a link to be acceptable, all three tests MUST pass.  If
	the test fails, the node SHOULD send a PathErr message with
	an error code of "Routing Problem" and an error value of
	"no route available toward destination".

> of value in these fields?

Every link has attributes configured.  Other routers learn them through 
routing.

If an ingress node cares about the attributes, it will generate an ERO 
that sends the LSP over links that match the required criteria.  It will 
also set the resource affinities in the session attributes so that 
transit nodes can validate the locally-configured attributes against 
those requirements.

When choosing an egress interface, a router must choose one such that 
none of the "exclude-any" bits correspond with the link's configured 
bits, at least one of the "include-any" bits corresponds with the link's 
configured bits, and all of the "include-all" bits correspond with the 
link's configured bits.

Validating a link (fetched from an ERO or from routing) against an 
interface's attribute bits is easy.  Using these bits as part of the 
criterial for choosing a link may be more complicated, depending on what 
kind of routing features your box supports.

-- David

---

From: "chetan kumar s" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:50:02 +0530 (IST)

> Hong Liao wrote:

Hi,
	This question has arised due to the fact that RFC has both errors
mentioned in the section 4.7.4. But however many ppl follow the most
obvious error "Routing Problem". I do not understand why authors had
mentioned both the error in this section.. Well is there any
implementation that use "policy control failure"

Thanks
Chetan S

-- 
------------
Thinking is progress, non thinking is destruction of individual, organization
and nation

-Abdul Kalam