Subject: problem with MPLS Traffic Engineering over ATM

From: "Riccardo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:35:51 +0200

I'm working here in Germany to prepare for my degree. I'm studing Mpls
and exactly how MPLS could be used in a Satellite Networks. I've just
started my work reading Bruce Davie's Mpls book and some RFC, but I've a
problem (maybe trivial).

I've read that both LDP, CR-LDP and RSVP uses IP to be transported (do
not?).How could these protocols be implemented in an ATM Network where
Ip is not used?

If you have some material or hint that could help me please reply this
e-mail.
Thanks for everything and excuse me for the intrusion.
------------------------------------------
Riccardo Menichelli
German Aerospace Center (DLR)
Institute of Communications and Navigation

phone:     +49 8153 28-2819
fax:     +49 8153 28-2844
email:      [email-masked]

http://www.dlr.de/KN/KN-DN/
------------------------------------------

---

From: "Brijesh Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 11:08:32 -0700

Ricardo,

The only way to run MPLS control protocols on old ATM switches  is by adding
a new card that can run IP control plane for MPLS, and upgrading the rest of
the software. IP control plane can also run externally on a linux platform
as long as it has someway of interfacing with the ATM switch and its
software. In any case, you need software upgrade. Vendors, including Cisco,
are using one of these two options.

Cheers,

--brijesh