Subject: MORE: Latest MPLS Ping draft...

From: "David Allan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:00:33 -0400

A few more comments:

Section 3:

What are the procedures if "reply via control plane" is requested for an LSP
set up with LDP? (presumably some error results)

Any plans for IPv6 reply modes?

How about "return subcode MUST be set to zero."?

Section 3.2: 

I'm unable to understand this explanation. Should the statement be
"...compute which LSRs could receive the packet with TTL=n-1...." as in
"what is the set of reasonable next hops?". Or is it "which LSR will receive
this packet with TTL=n-1..." as in "if there are multiple NHLFEs, which one
would this specific probe resolve to?". I believe I asked this last time
around (00 version) and did not get an answer. A re-write of this paragraph
would be useful.

Section 4.2

If the probe is not well formed... presumably the reply mode for the error
is as requested (incl. no reply)?

Section 4.2:

"if the echo request is good...is valid for the FEC....if not L MAY log this
fact. "

Seems to me that this fact is relatively useless unless all the
circumstances associated with the test (in particular what 127. address was
used by the echo request and who the probe originated with) are logged.
Otherwise a craftsperson may be obliged to do extensive testing to reproduce
the circumstances of the test. And if one is using "no reply" mode, the
stipluation should be stronger than a "MAY".

thx
Dave