Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-farrel-mpls-ldp-restart-applic-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:30:37 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Applicability Statement for Restart Mechanisms for the
                          Label Distribution Protocol
	Author(s)	: A. Farrel
	Filename	: draft-farrel-mpls-ldp-restart-applic-01.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2002-10-14
	
Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) systems will be used in core
networks where system downtime must be kept to a minimum. Similarly,
where MPLS is at the network edges (for example, in Provider Edge
routers) system downtime must also be kept as small as possible.
Many MPLS Label Switching Routers (LSRs) may, therefore, exploit
Fault Tolerant (FT) hardware or software to provide high availability
of the core networks.
The details of how FT is achieved for the various components of an
FT LSR, including the switching hardware and the TCP stack are
implementation specific.  How the software module itself chooses to
implement FT for the state created by the Label Distribution Protocol
(LDP) is also implementation specific but there are several issues in
the LDP specification in RFC 3036 'LDP Specification' that make it
difficult to implement an FT LSR using the LDP protocols without some
extensions to those protocols.
Proposals have been made in 'Fault Tolerance for the Label
Distribution Protocol (LDP)' [LDP-FT] and 'Graceful Restart Mechanism
for LDP' [LDP-RESTART] to address these issues.
This document gives guidance on when it is advisable to implement
some form of LDP restart mechanism and which approach might be more
suitable. The issues and extensions described here are equally
applicable to RFC 3212, 'Constraint-Based LSP Setup Using LDP'
(CR-LDP).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-farrel-mpls-ldp-restart-applic-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-farrel-mpls-ldp-restart-applic-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-farrel-mpls-ldp-restart-applic-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.