Subject: [Fwd: Reminder: Deadline for input on sub-ip discussion]

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:11:02 +0100

All,

my reading of this is that Harald asks for a "show of hands",
to be able to decide the rough consensus.

/Loa

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Reminder: Deadline for input on sub-ip discussion
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 22:21:59 +0100
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

All,

On Wed Dec 4th, we asked for input to help us decide on the future of
the SUB-IP Area. See our posting at

       http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg18370.html

We had a large majority of people at the SUBIP Area meeting in Atlanta
expressing that they want the area to be long(er) lived. This will be part
of our input.

But we need/want to hear from the IETF community. So please express
your opionion (and the reasoning behind it) asap on [email-masked], but
certainly before Thursday Dec 12th 10am US Eastern time.

As expressed in the above posting (with data points and discussion
included),
the 3 choices for the SUB-IP Area seem to be:

   1/ move WGs (back) to permanent areas: migrate the SUB-IP
      working groups to other IETF areas sometime soon, likely before next
      summer and close the SUB-IP area. Also, reconstitute the SUB-IP 
(and/or
      other) directorates to ensure the continued coordination between the
      remaining WGs.

   2/ establish a long-term area: decide that the SUB-IP
      area will be a long-term one, clearly define its charter, and ask the
      nomcom to select one or two people to be Area Directors

   3/ status quo: continue the SUB-IP Area as a temporary,
      ad-hoc effort, much as it has been, with the IESG selecting two 
sitting
      ADs to continue the effort that Bert & Scott have been doing. But 
maybe
      give more responsibility to the working group's technical advisors,
      normally the AD from the area where the working group might otherwise
      live.

The opinions expressed so far seem to show clearly that the community is
divided on the issue, with perhaps some preference for the status quo
(alternative 3).

If you have a strong preference for one (or two) of these, and have not yet
said so, please indicate your opinion (and your reasons) by mail to
[email-masked] before Thursday.

Thank you!

               Harald Alvestrand, for the IESG

(please repost this message where appropriate)

-- 
Loa Andersson

Mobile          +46 739 81 21 64
Email           [email-masked]