Subject: RE: Last call on LSP Ping

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:15:06 -0800

Hi,

Would the authors comment on how the MPLS-ping applies when
Fast Reroute scheme exists? In other words how is the backup path
and/or detour paths tested from the ingress?

Thanks,
-Shahram

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:14:02 -0500

In message <[email-masked]
>, Shahram Davari writes:

In ping mode you should not know that the backup is in use.

Perhaps an error return in traceroute mode would be helpful or an
indication that the next hop is part of a detour.

Keep in mind that once the detour is put into use it is usually a
matter of seconds before a new primary is created with its own set of
detours, none of which are in use.

Curtis

---

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:30:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi Curtis,

> In ping mode you should not know that the backup is in use.

Faithfully following the data path :-)

> indication that the next hop is part of a detour.

Agreed.  Follow-up draft, if folks don't mind.

Kireeti.

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:00:57 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, Kireeti Kompella 
> Agreed.  Follow-up draft, if folks don't mind.

Kireeti,

I think we're entirely in agreement.

This extension, when completed would cover the few second interval
when FRR was in use in the case where a link goes down and the NOC
doesn't notice the 1001 alarms going off or the provider that doesn't
poll SNMP, and doesn't notice all the LSPs rerouting, major traffic
shifts, etc.

First we'll see if those who deploy MPLS-ping find a need for it, then
work on the extension.

Curtis