Subject: MPLS MIB review meeting minutes

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:43:54 +0100

The WG-chairs asked me to send the MPLS MIB review meeting minutes to the 
list. So here they are.

Marcus
-----------------------------------------
MPLS MIB Review meeting
Atlanta, November 16, 2002
----------------------------------------------

Minute taker: Marcus Brunner

Goals of the meeting:
-internal consistency of MIBs
-check interdependencies and structure
-check for commonality and non-overlap
-close open issues
-gather nits - should be sent to the list

Non-goals
- not requiremnts meeting
- not change everything

0. General

Check field name consistency over all MIBs (is not consistent for e.g. 
framerelay/atm fields Bert)

Check all the MIBs about destroying rows and what happens with dangling row 
pointers. (Problem of referential integrity) E.g.,don't do delayed destroy 
see )

Check for the general problem of persistent row pointers pointing to 
non-persistent objects  (also affects referential integrity after reboot).

Check for split references in normative and non-normative and the other 
ID-nits.

Check for IPR section

Check whether Enums start at 1 (otherwise give the reason)

Use always Unknown = 1 consistent over all MIBs

1. Management Overview (-02)

Add some text about the layering of interfaces. Improves understanding of 
the dependence of the MIBs. Action: Tom to cut and paste some text. Andrew 
will rewrite it.

Add text to explain the difference between TEWG TE-MIB and the MPLS-TE-MIB. 
Action: Kireeti has promised some text.

Add text where routing information/objects can be found in the MIBs: 
Action: Sharon to suggest some text to be added to reduce confusion of 
people new to the MIBs around what's relevant for the various flavors of 
MPLS.

Add some text to help MPLS management application developers. Action: 
Sharon to look at the overview document and see if it meets the needs of a 
generic application developer.

Add explanation of tunnel instances. Action: Andrew add a paragraph. (Same 
text might be useful in TE-MIB).

2. LSR-MIB (-09)

Add some text about the differences in terminology or newly introduced 
terminology not available in the base technology (e.g. cross connects and 
segments).

Split references in normative and non-normative and the other ID-nits (not 
done in this one)

Add IPR section (is missing here)

Clarifying text why using OutSegmentIndex instead of interface index and 
label as an index.

Issue with Label object/index beeing an octet string, solution will be 
discussed off-line and proposed on the mailing list.

Traffic Parameters table is similar to TE-MIB Resource Table. Proposal: In 
the LSR-MIB remove the Traffic Parameter Table. Reuse the TE-MIB Resources 
Table. Change conformance statement in the TE-MIB that the Resource table 
is mandatory for intermediate LSRs.

3. LDP-MIB (-09)

Problem of the semantic of an entity and how to use (add text for 
clarification)

Problem with targeted sessions. It is unclear in the MIB. Might need an 
additional object for targeted sessions or block the acceptance of the 
session.

Issue on mapping tables/entity table. Potentially putting back the mapping 
tables, this needs some work (Currently there is a table with entities 
(might need a direction object) (Joan)

The MIB does not allow configuring the transport address for setting up 
sessions (only tcp port) add an object to entity table.

In operational tables some parameters are negotiated. The negotiated values 
should appear in the MIB.

FEC table allows an admin to configure the FECs. It is unclear what this 
table's semantic is and what the setting of FECs mean. Specifically the 
problem appear when configuring the table in ingress/egress LSRs. (Probably 
other table needed)

Suggestion for getting the interface specifics better covered (E-Mail from 
15. Nov 2002)

Compilation problem (it looks likes augmenting two tables at the same time)

Bert to send all other compile errors via E-Mail

Add ifIndex in session down notification  (probably also for session up to 
make it symmetric)

Check whether Enums should start at 1

4. FTN-MIB

Problem EXPbit object in the FTN table should be DSCP (in FTNMask and the 
object name). Use TC from DiffServ MIB for DSCP specification.

Change text "protocol id field" into "protocol field" (add reference)

Add text about why using address ranges compared to addr and prefix length.

mplsFTNRowStatus behaviour for destroy. Proposed: you can not destroy the 
row until no references is pointing to it anymore.

mplsFTNActionType: remove drop action  (it is not a firewall) add text why 
this actions are there.

5. TE-MIB

Make AS id work also with 4 byte AS number (Kireeti)

Clarify text for the hop tables (3). Specifically explain how the indices 
are used.

Change example IP address (ID-nits)

Add text how tunnel instance indices map to protocol fields (LSPid, Tunnel 
Id), might also be needed in the mgt overview.

6. TC-MIB

Problem with tunnel hop address having several object but it is type of a 
union only some used. Add textual convention for tunnel hop address (use TC 
from TEWG TE-MIB but use enum starting at 1)

Problem with MPLSOwner. Clarify text what modifications means, who is
allowed to change what. Unknown = 1 consistent over the whole thing

MPLSBitRate define range as [ 0|1..].

MPLSTunnelInstanceIndex might be zero clarify the text and explain why it 
is a MUST.

7. bundle-mib

Change module name of link bundle mib (proposal TE Link MIB). the MIB does 
not much about bundling.

Remove OSPF specifics

Check for consistency with base documents (OSPF-TE mainly)

8. GMPLS MIBs

Problem of enums that match protocol fields in MIBs. Instruct IANA that 
they keep it in synch.

Operational statistics of mpls how to deal with for optical? Deferred, 
media specifics in the future releases of the MIBs.

Time frame for a new release is one month after MPLS MIB specs are done.

--------------------------------------
Dr. Marcus Brunner
Network Laboratories
NEC Europe Ltd.

E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.ccrle.nec.de/
Phone: +49 (0) 6221 905 11 29
personal home page: http://www.brubers.org/marcus