Subject: MPLS OAM

From: "Deepak Sathyamurthy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:44:17 +0530

Hi,
 
There are various proposals for supporting trace route and ping on MPLS. IP ping and trace route use RFC 2925 MIB. Will there be any changes, additions required to this MIB for supporting MPLS ping and trace route?
 
Regards,
Deepak

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 10:33:30 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, "Dee
pak Sathyamurthy" writes:
> 
> Hi,
> =20
> There are various proposals for supporting trace route and ping on MPLS. =
> IP ping and trace route use RFC 2925 MIB. Will there be any changes, =
> additions required to this MIB for supporting MPLS ping and trace route?
> =20
> Regards,
> Deepak

Deepak,

First of all, not all MIBs that are defined get used in practice.  I
know of no ISP that is using the ping MIB to drive pings or collect
information.  It is just too inefficient to do things that way.  I
don't think any routers implement it.  I welcome any corrections.

The tier one ISPs that I know have been and probably still are using
pings are either doing ad-hoc testing or driving tests from pizza
boxes (1U rackmounts) running *ix that do statistical collection and
if applicable raise alarms by other means.  In some cases one way
measurements are made rather than use ping at all.  Traceroute is
almost always strictly ad-hoc testing or very customized information
gathering such as the CAIDA skitter program (which doesn't use a MIB).

If we end up doing an LSP-ping MIB, which too may go unused, then
someone that thinks it will be used can write it.  IMHO it can be a
separate document.

Curtis

---

From: Ajay Simha <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 10:47:30 -0500

> don't think any routers implement it.  I welcome any corrections.

Cisco routers support ping MIB.

> someone that thinks it will be used can write it.  IMHO it can be a

I agree it needs to be a seperate doc that the LSP Ping doc.

Cheers..

-ajay

---

From: Eric Osborne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 12:57:21 -0500

> Cisco routers support ping MIB.

...and I've talked to one customer that uses it, but I think it's safe
to say that ping MIB isn't the most popular networking tool known to
man..:)

eric

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:07:43 -0500

At 10:33 AM 12/30/2002 -0500, Curtis Villamizar wrote:

> > There are various proposals for supporting trace route and ping on MPLS. > > IP ping and trace route use RFC 2925 MIB. Will there be any changes, > > additions required to this MIB for supporting MPLS ping and trace route?
> >  
> > Regards,
> > Deepak
>
>
>Deepak,
>

         There are actually many of my customers using the standard
and Cisco-proprietary version of the Ping MIB.  However, as Curtis
points out, on a large scale, use of the MIB directly is problematic
for performance reasons. This is why many of our customers have
moved to using a more automated (proprietary) system called SAA.

>someone that thinks it will be used can write it.  IMHO it can be a

         It can probably be written as a MIB that augments the existing
one.

         --Tom