Subject: RFC 3443 on Time To Live (TTL) Processing in Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:54:36 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3443

        Title:      Time To Live (TTL) Processing in Multi-Protocol
                    Label Switching (MPLS) Networks
        Author(s):  P. Agarwal, B. Akyol
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 18749
        Updates:    3032

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-ttl-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3443.txt

This document describes Time To Live (TTL) processing in hierarchical
Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) networks and is motivated by the
need to formalize a TTL-transparent mode of operation for an MPLS
label-switched path.  It updates RFC 3032, "MPLS Label Stack
Encoding".  TTL processing in both Pipe and Uniform Model hierarchical
tunnels are specified with examples for both "push" and "pop" cases.
The document also complements RFC 3270, "MPLS Support of
Differentiated Services" and ties together the terminology introduced
in that document with TTL processing in hierarchical MPLS networks.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.