Subject: Comments requested: draft-behringer-mpls-security-04.txt

From: "Michael H. Behringer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 08:59:58 -0700

This new version now includes a security analysis for Inter-AS and CsC. So 
it should cover the whole 2547bis spectrum. I would like to invite comments 
on what is missing or should be changed.

Thanks,
Michael

---

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

         Title           : Analysis of the Security of BGP/MPLS IP VPNs
         Author(s)       : M. Behringer
         Filename        : draft-behringer-mpls-security-04.txt
         Pages           : 21
         Date            : 2003-5-29

This document analyses the security of the BGP/MPLS IP VPN architecture
as described in [RFC2547bis], especially in comparison with other VPN
technologies such as ATM and Frame Relay. The target audience is
service providers and VPN users. The document consists of two main
parts: First the requirements for security in VPN services are defined,
second BGP/MPLS IP VPNs are examined with respect to these
requirements.

The analysis shows that BGP/MPLS IP VPN networks can be equally secured
as traditional layer-2 VPN networks such as ATM and Frame Relay.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-behringer-mpls-security-04.txt

---

From: Mark Seery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:45:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Michael,

Given the statement in 5.1 "...security mechanisms
discussed here assume correct configuration..." my
comments may not apply, but FYI for consideration in
future drafts.

label swapping forwarding elements introduce the
possibility of label swap/merge faults; either through
misconfiguration or through label distribution bugs.

the traditional way that label swap networks have
dealt with this problem is through continuity tests
(verifying correct end point addresses). Such
mechanisms are being discussed in PWE/MPLS WGs, and
hence when/if applied would provide for a way to
recognise a misconfiguration and reduce the amount of
time the security leak is present for.

When such mechanisms are implemented in MPLS VPN 
networks, then such a network could be considered as
secure as an ATM-based network (for example a Frame
over ATM core network).

Mark