Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'Encapsulating MPLS in IP or Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 14:44:39 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Encapsulating MPLS in IP or Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) '
   <draft-ietf-mpls-in-ip-or-gre-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Alex Zinin and Bill Fenner.

Technical Summary

 In various applications of MPLS, label stacks with multiple entries
 are used.  In some cases, it is possible to replace the top label of
 the stack with an IP-based encapsulation, thereby enabling the
 application to run over networks which do not have MPLS enabled in
 their core routers.  This draft specifies two IP-based
 encapsulations, MPLS-in-IP, and MPLS-in-GRE (Generic Routing
 Encapsulation).  Each of these is applicable in some circumstances.

Working Group Summary

 The draft has gone through a discussion within the WG and the WG LC.
 There was a WG consensus on this document.

Protocol Quality

 The document has been review for the IESG by Alex Zinin and Routing Area
 Directorate.

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls