Subject: [mpls] RSVP-TE control message forwarding

From: "Ning Zhuang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 18:40:56 -0500

Hi All,

I'd like to ask a question related to RSVP-TE control messages
forwarding. Assume CSPF is not turned on, do we

want to allow the RSVP-TE control messages to go through MPLS LSPs? A
further question would be when we

do the nexthop lookup for the RSVP-TE control messages, do we considered
the IGP shortcut routes? (This question

apply to both ingress and transit nodes). Also, does anybody know
Cisco's implementation for this issue?

Thanks,

Ning Zhuang

Samsung Enterprise Network Lab

P. (408)-544-4615

F. (408)-544-4617

[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:25:20 -0400

Hi,

On Oct 1, 2004, at 7:40 PM, Ning Zhuang wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>  
>
> I’d like to ask a question related to RSVP-TE control messages 
> want to allow the RSVP-TE control messages to go through MPLS LSPs?

Path computation is orthogonal to signaling: in other words, the path 
can be computed in a distributed or centralized fashion, using CSPF or 
any other algorithms. Then RSVP-TE is in charge of establishing the TE 
LSP by means of signaling.

>  A further question would be when we
>
> do the nexthop lookup for the RSVP-TE control messages, do we 
> considered the IGP shortcut routes? (This question
>
> apply to both ingress and transit nodes).

On the topic of how to steer traffic to a particular TE LSP instead of 
following the IGP shortest path, should both paths be distinct, there 
are several mechanisms: take the TE LSP into account during RIB 
computation, use of static route for specific traffic and so on.

> Also, does anybody know Cisco’s implementation for this issue?
>

Since this is an IETF mailing list, it is probably more appropriate to 
ask the question on other lists. In short, the answer is yes, and there 
are many possible mechanisms.

JP.