Subject: [mpls] "Inter-Provider Service Quality on the Internet": IEEE Comm. Mag. CFP

From: "Monique Morrow \(mmorrow\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 20:40:45 +0200

Folks,

The IEEE Communications Magazine has just approved the publication of

a Feature Topic issue on "Challenges in Enabling Inter-Provider Service
Quality on the Internet." The CFP is attached below.

We invite those working in this area to consider sending in their
contributions. If you intend to submit a paper for this

special issue, please do drop one of the Guest Editors a note, so that
we can plan the issue.

We look forward to your participation!

Regards, Monique

========================================================================

CALL FOR PAPERS

IEEE Communications Magazine

Feature Topic on "Challenges in Enabling Inter-Provider Service Quality
on the Internet"

************************************************************************
********************************************

As carriers and service providers build multi-services networks based on

IP/MPLS-enabled infrastructures that are able to meet evermore stringent
service

level agreements (SLAs) and quality-of-service (QoS) requirements, it
becomes a

key issue to extend the ability to deliver these services across carrier
and

service provider domain boundaries, while at the same time preserving
the same SLAs

and QoS assurances as those provided within a given provider's network.

The advent of new end-user applications, as well as new services based
on MPLS technology, such as Layer 2 Virtual Private LAN Services (VPLS)
and

Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks (L3VPNs), also means the emergence of
added service quality

requirements from operators deploying and interoperating these networks
and the end-users themselves. As a result, providers and vendors require
efficient

means to enable inter-provider service quality, which comprises of
several key elements including quality of service, class of service,
security, OAM, and

restoration and repair.

This will is lead to the emergence of improved or novel tools and
techniques to address these aspects, with the goal of guaranteeing
service quality

end-to-end,improving security and billing/accounting, and reducing
operating costs.

Standards organizations such as the IETF and the ITU are taking on
significant work in this

area, and various aspects of this subject are also being investigated by
bodies such

as the OIF, the MSF, the MPLS/Frame Relay Alliance, the IEEE, and the
Metro Ethernet Forum, and are the themes for numerous upcoming
conferences.

This feature topic issue of the IEEE Communications Magazine has a
multi-pronged

focus on the delivery of inter-provider service quality:

* Highlight operator and end-user concerns and requirements.

* Feature current and/or planned deployment experiences.

* Survey modern research and engineering developments.

* Spotlight contemporary standards activity.

Thus, focused tutorial and survey contributions as well as research
papers are

solicited on (but certainly not limited to) the following topics:

* Carrier requirements for efficient inter-provider service quality:
Current

operational needs, bottlenecks, future demands

* Deployment experience with inter-provider service quality on IP/MPLS-

based networks: comparative analysis, case studies

* QoS management in an inter-provider environment: interconnection

architectures using MPLS, Diffserv, QoS performance, path

characterization, routing policies

* Service assurance in inter-provider infrastructures: End-to-end SLA

management, service billing/reporting, admission control

* Failure and restoration requirements/challenges in inter-provider
contexts

* Interoperability and inter-working of diverse equipment types and

technologies (ATM, FR, Ethernet)

* Current engineering and research developments: E.g. Passive and active

performance measurement and monitoring, TE, modelling and simulation

* Standards activities and initiatives: new services and network

architectures

On-line CFP with submission instructions can be found at:

http://www.metanoia-inc.com/IEEECommMag_InterProviderQoS_CFP.htm
<http://www.metanoia-inc.com/IEEECommMag_InterProviderQoS_CFP.htm> 

Submission

Articles should be tutorial in nature and should be written in a style

comprehensible

to readers outside the specialty of the article. Articles may be edited
for

clarity and grammatical accuracy, and will be copyedited according to
the

Magazine's style.

Mathematical equations should not be used (in justified cases up to
three simple

equations could be allowed, provided there is consent of the Guest
Editor;more than

three equations require permission from the Editor-in-Chief). 

Articles should have no more than 4,500 words, no more than 6
tables/figures, and no more than 15

references. Guidelines for prospective authors can be found on-line at

http://www.comsoc.org/pubs/commag/sub_guidelines.html
<http://www.comsoc.org/pubs/commag/sub_guidelines.html> .

** Please submit no later than 30 October 2004.**

Accepted papers will also be included in Communications

Interactive (CI), the online version of Communications Magazine.

Manuscript Due: 30 October 2004

Acceptance Notification: 15 January 2004

Final Manuscript Due: 28 February 2005

Publication Date: June 2005

Guest Editors

Monique J. Morrow, Cisco Systems, ([email-masked])

Vishal Sharma, Metanoia, Inc. ([email-masked])

Thomas D.Nadeau, Cisco Systems ([email-masked])

Loa Andersson, Acreo ([email-masked])

 
 
_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls