Subject: [mpls] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-03.txt

From: "Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 07:14:31 -0600

Hi All,

Please review and comment on the updated draft "Protocol Extensions for
Header Compression over MPLS"
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protoco
l-03.txt).

The updates are based primarily on comments from Colin Perkins, see
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg06257.html.

The main changes include the following:

1. Updated terminology Section 2.
2. Revised and expanded introductory material in Section 3 'Header
Compression over MPLS Protocol Overview' for clarity.
3. Revised and expanded Section 4 'Protocol Specifications' for clarity.
4. Provided a complete worked example in Section 5 of pseudowire setup
and header compression negotiation.  

Once again, please review and comment on the updated draft.  

Thanks,
Jerry 

(note: the following is a "manual" I-D ACTION announcement; I-D ACTION
announcements did not go out on February 11 for any I-Ds for some
unknown reason)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-03.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of
the IETF.

	Title		: Protocol Extensions for Header Compression
over MPLS
	Author(s)	: J. Ash
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-03.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 2006-02-11
	
   VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP. When MPLS
   labels are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels. For an
   MPLS VPN, the packet header is typically 48 bytes, while the voice
   payload is often no more than 30 bytes, for example. Header
   compression can significantly reduce the overhead through various
   compression mechanisms.  MPLS is used to route header-compressed (HC)
   packets over an MPLS LSP without compression/decompression cycles at
   each router.  Such an HC over MPLS capability increases the bandwidth
   efficiency as well as processing scalability of the maximum number of
   simultaneous compressed flows that use HC at each router.  MPLS
   pseudowires are used to transport the HC context and other control
   messages between the ingress and egress MPLS label switched router
   (LSR).  Standard HC methods (e.g., ECRTP, ROHC, etc.) are re-used to
   determine the context.  Each HC scheme operates over a single
   pseudowire instance very much like it would over a single
   point-to-point link.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol
-03.txt

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls