Subject: RE: [mpls] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mpls-multicast-encaps-01.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:09:48 +0200

Dear All,

Must admit the question rose in my mind as well but perhaps there is a
flaw in my understanding. My understanding is as follows:

rfc4023 defines the protocol type field in the GRE header for
MPLS-in-GRE Encapsulation as " The protocol type field in the GRE header
MUST be set to the Ethertype value for MPLS Unicast (0x8847) or
Multicast (0x8848)."

The current draft describes, for an MPLS-in-GRE Encapsulation, the
ethertype value of  "all the encapsulated MPLS packets" which  "have an
upstream-assigned top label" as 0x8847. 

This differs from RFC 4023 but does not appear to, as pointed out by
Benjamin, match the definitions of Ethernet Codepoints in section 3 of
the current draft.

santanu

Swisscom Fixnet AG
Zurich

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 2:07 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [mpls] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mpls-multicast-encaps-01.txt 

Colleagues,

I have a question on draft-ietf-mpls-multicast-encaps-01.

The draft essentially redfines ethertype 0x8848 to mean "the top label
is an upstream assigned MPLS multicast label", so why in section 5, GRE
if all the encapsulated MPLS packets have an upstream assigned label is
the Ethertype set to 0x8847?

Ben

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls