Subject: [mpls] consensus call on the t-mpls design team issues list

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:38:58 +0100

Working Groups,

Following the last IETF the IAB technical ad-hoc committee on T-MPLS
reviewed the text of ITU-T documents  G.8113 and G.8114, and
generated an issues list, which we sent directly to the authors of
the ITU-T documents for their consideration. There has been some
discussion with the authors on these issues.

In preparation for the ITU-T SG13 Plenary in Seoul which begins next
week, we need to formally liaise this issues list to the ITU-T so that
it exists as a document that can be discussed at the meeting. We note
that there have been a number of responses by the ITU-T authors, but
we feel that it is appropriate to publish the full list to provide
the necessary context at the SG13 plenary.

G.8114 proposes two applications for label 14, an endpoint OAM
alert, a P router OAM alert (i.e. requires the P router to take special
action on packets with label 14 in the stack), and we have also see
proposal to further extend use of label 14 to provide a messaging
channel for control plan traffic. In addition to the detailed review of
G.8113 and G.8114, the IETF therefore has to question whether
the ITU-T approach of using a single reserved label (or indeed
any reserved label) is the right approach for the applications
that they have in mind, and we believe that this should be
added to the issues list as an over-riding concern.

The document we sent to the ITU authors was in word format (their
standard) and time does not permit us to convert this to ASCII. We
therefore make the document available to the IETF in word
and pdf format.

The documents are available at:

http://www.tla-group.com/~loa/IETF-TMPLS-Issues-6.doc
and
http://www.tla-group.com/~loa/IETF-TMPLS-Issues-6.pdf

In order to send this as a liaison we need the consensus of the MPLS
and PWE3 WGs. In view of the limited time available we request
comments by Friday (Jan 12), so that we can send the liaison before
the SG13 meeting next week.

Regards

Stewart/Loa

-- 
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  [email-masked]
                                           [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

---

From: Alexander Vainshtein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 18:10:21 +0200

Loa and all,

Please count my YES (for both WGs) in the "consensus count" (is there
any such thing?).

Regards,
                     Sasha Vainshtein
-----Original Message-----
From: Loa Andersson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 1:39 PM
To: [email-masked]; pwe3; Stewart Bryant; George Swallow; Danny McPherson
Cc: W. Mark Townsley; David Ward
Subject: [PWE3] consensus call on the t-mpls design team issues list

Working Groups,

Regards

Stewart/Loa

-- 
Loa Andersson

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

---

From: "Italo Busi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:25:46 +0100

Loa, Stewart,

See my comments in line marked with [ib]

Italo

> Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 12:39 PM

[ib] I think the LS should decouple the issues with G.8113 from those with
G.8114 because G.8113 is addressing requirements while G.8114 is
providing solutions.

> added to the issues list as an over-riding concern.

[ib] I think that suggesting some potential alternatives would be beneficial,
even if not fully elaborated.

> the SG13 meeting next week.

[ib] It would be helpful if inputs provided so far from ITU-T participants
should also be considered; in particular, whether have already been addressed
satisfactorily via proposed clarifications and/or solutions (and mentioning
these).

For your convenience, the output of the work effort to respond to IAB technical
ad-hoc committee may be found at the following links:

http://italobusi.altervista.org/T-MPLS_OAM/IETF_-_TMPLS_Answers-03.doc

http://italobusi.altervista.org/T-MPLS_OAM/IETF_-_TMPLS_Answers-03.pdf

http://italobusi.altervista.org/T-MPLS_OAM/IETF_-_y1372-03.doc

http://italobusi.altervista.org/T-MPLS_OAM/IETF_-_y1372-03.pdf

http://italobusi.altervista.org/T-MPLS_OAM/IETF_-_y1373-03.doc

http://italobusi.altervista.org/T-MPLS_OAM/IETF_-_y1373-03.pdf

http://italobusi.altervista.org/T-MPLS_OAM/y1711_vs_y1373.doc

http://italobusi.altervista.org/T-MPLS_OAM/y1711_vs_y1373.pdf