Subject: [mpls] Soliciting comments on LSP dynamic provisioning performance metrics draft

From: "Weiqiang Sun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 16:27:48 +0800

Hi,

Recently the LSP dynamic provisioning performance draft is adopted as a work
item of CCAMP. The draft, abstract shown below, defines a set of metrics to
characterize the performance of a signaling protocol in the control plane.
The draft proposes the metrics be tested in an active fashion. It also
proposes that some of the metrics be implemented in an online or passive
fashion.

The authors would now like to solicit comments in the MPLS working group,
hoping that applications of the defined metrics can also be found in IP/MPLS
networks. Please send your comments or suggestions directly to the authors,
or, to the CCAMP working group mail list ([email-masked]). We indeed
appreciate your support.

Title: Label Switched Path (LSP) Dynamical Provisioning Performance Metrics
in Generalized MPLS Networks

         Author(s) : W. Sun, G. Zhang, J. Gao, G. Xie, R. Papneja, B. Gu, X.
Wei

         Filename  : draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-dppm-01.txt

         Pages                 : 39

         Date                   : 2008-4-14

Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) is one of the most

promising candidate technologies for the future data transmission

network.  The GMPLS has been developed to control and cooperate

different kinds of network elements, such as conventional routers,

switches, Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) systems, Add-

Drop Multiplexors (ADMs), photonic cross-connects (PXCs), optical

cross-connects (OXCs), etc.  Dynamic provisioning ability of these

physically diverse devices differs from each other drastically.  At

the same time, the need for dynamically provisioned connections is

increasing because optical networks are being deployed in metro area.

As different applications have varied requirements in the

provisioning performance of optical networks, it is imperative to

define standardized metrics and procedures such that the performance

of networks and application needs can be mapped to each other.

This document provides a series of performance metrics to evaluate

the dynamic LSP provisioning performance in GMPLS networks,

specifically the dynamical LSP setup/release performance.  These

metrics can depict the features of the GMPLS network in LSP dynamic

provisioning.  They can also be used in operational networks for

carriers to monitor the control plane performance in realtime.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-dppm-01.txt

Best regards,

Weiqiang

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls