Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'LDP extension for Inter-Area LSP' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:22:02 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'LDP extension for Inter-Area LSP '
   <draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-interarea-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and David Ward.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-interarea-04.txt

Technical Summary

   To facilitate the establishment of Label Switched Paths (LSP) that 
   would span multiple IGP areas in a given Autonomous System (AS), this 
   document proposes a new optional label mapping procedure for the 
   Label Distribution Protocol (LDP). 
    
   This procedure allows the use of a label if the Forwarding 
   Equivalence Class (FEC) Element matches an entry in the routing table 
   (RIB). Matching is defined by an IP longest match search and does not 
   mandate an exact match. 

Working Group Summary

   No controversy reported. This has been reviewed by people who know
   LDP very well, including senior implementers. 

Document Quality

   There is at least one known implementation.

   The shepherding AD (Ross Callon), who also happens to be co-author of
   the MPLS Architecture (but not of the LDP document), sort of wonders
   why we didn't do it this way in the first place (IMHO this cleans up
   a small oversight in the original documentation). 

Personnel

   Loa Andersson is the document shepherd (and wrote the PROTO writeup
   that is available as a comment in the tracker), but both WG co-chairs
   (Loa and George) have reportedly reviewed the draft. Ross Callon
   is the responsible area director. There are no IANA actions needed.

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls