Subject: [mpls] p2mp lsp-traceroute guideline issue

From: Nitin Bahadur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 13:03:24 -0700

Hi Shaleen,

    There seems to be some confusion regarding the Responder sub-tlvs.
>From what I understand...

   node sub-tlv is to identify any node on the tree (except root) (as per section 3.2.2)

In Section 4.2.1.2,

>     - If the Responder Identifier TLV containing a Node Address
 >       sub-TLV is present, and:

>         - If the address specified in the sub-TLV matches to an address
  >         in the node, then the node will behave like an egress node
   >        only.

Since node sub-tlv can identify any type of node, why should the node have like an egress node?
Shouldn't it behave like an egress + branch node?

For traceroute, the bud-node should add the DDMAP to indicate that it does have something beyond it....
it will simplify the ingress procedure of determining if a node is a bud-node or not. I don't see this as a
big change in the spec.

Thanks
Nitin

---

From: "Shaleen Saxena (ssaxena)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 07:58:06 -0500

Hi Nitin,

Sounds reasonable. I will change the draft. So bud nodes will respond
with DDMAP (if present in the incoming echo request) even if the node
address responder identifier TLV is being used (and matches this bud
node).

Regards,

Shaleen

From: Nitin Bahadur [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2010 4:03 PM
To: Shaleen Saxena (ssaxena); [email-masked]
Subject: p2mp lsp-traceroute guideline issue
Importance: High

 Hi Shaleen,

>From what I understand...

   node sub-tlv is to identify any node on the tree (except root) (as
per section 3.2.2)

In Section 4.2.1.2,

  >         in the node, then the node will behave like an egress node

Since node sub-tlv can identify any type of node, why should the node
have like an egress node?
Shouldn't it behave like an egress + branch node?

For traceroute, the bud-node should add the DDMAP to indicate that it
does have something beyond it....

it will simplify the ingress procedure of determining if a node is a
bud-node or not. I don't see this as a 

big change in the spec.

Thanks
Nitin