Subject: [mpls] colliding sub-TLVs for three MPLS wg drafts

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:54:41 +0200

Working Group,

we have been working to progress several drafts to RFCs. Sometimes
the process requires that we do early IANA allocations because some
vendors has started to implement or even deploying equipment that
relies on code points defined in the drafts.

What has happened now is that we have two drafts

draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-lsp-ping
draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-enhanced-dsmap

that has been comparatively stable for a long time, but on and
off been waiting on each other. We have done a "two document"
working group last call. We now have the documents in shape
to request publication. Both documents are implemented and
deployed.

These documents request IANA allocation for 4 different sub-tlv's.

We also have

draft-ietf-mpls-tp-on-demand-cv

for this document we requested early IANA allocation of two
sub-tlv's. The code-points were granted recently.

What has happened is that the code-points were assigned as
early allocations as has been used when implementing
draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-lsp-ping.

The easiest way out would be to assign new code-points to
draft-ietf-mpls-tp-on-demand-cv and in the publication process
assign the same code-pints to draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-lsp-ping
that has been used during the implementation.

We therefore need to know

1. If anyone has implemented draft-ietf-mpls-tp-on-demand-cv
    using the code points assigned as an early allocation
2. If this implementation has been deployed.
3. If it possible to use new code points even if the first
    implementation uses the code points assigned through early
    allocation.

We need your responses November 12, 2010 the latest.

The working group chairs will also make sure that we do not
any similar potential "double allocations" in waiting.

/Loa
-- 

Loa Andersson                         email: [email-masked]
Sr Strategy and Standards Manager            [email-masked]
Ericsson Inc                          phone: +46 10 717 52 13
                                              +46 767 72 92 13