Subject: [mpls] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-lsp-ping-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Detecting Data Plane Failures in Point-to-Multipoint Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) - Extensions to LSP Ping
	Author(s)       : S. Yasukawa, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-lsp-ping-12.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2010-10-18

Recent proposals have extended the scope of Multiprotocol Label
Switching (MPLS) Label Switched Paths (LSPs) to encompass
point-to-multipoint (P2MP) LSPs.

The requirement for a simple and efficient mechanism that can be used
to detect data plane failures in point-to-point (P2P) MPLS LSPs has
been recognized and has led to the development of techniques for
fault detection and isolation commonly referred to as "LSP Ping".

The scope of this document is fault detection and isolation for P2MP
MPLS LSPs.  This documents does not replace any of the mechanisms of
LSP Ping, but clarifies their applicability to MPLS P2MP LSPs, and
extends the techniques and mechanisms of LSP Ping to the MPLS P2MP
environment.Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-lsp-ping-12.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Shivakumar Channalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:27:14 +0530

Shaleen,

About the section:

4.3.2. Multiple responses from Bud and Egress Nodes 
.....
.....

It is RECOMMENDED that this flag be used for P2MP traceroute mode
   only.  By using this flag, extraneous responses from bud and egress
   nodes can be reduced.  If PHP is being used in the P2MP tree, then
   bud and egress nodes will not get any labels with the echo request
   packet. Hence this mechanism will not be effective for PHP scenario.
......
......

We had discussed about this particular PHP scenario, and had concluded
that,

"In p2mp LSP case,where in PHP is in place, if a bud  node  receives a
+MPLS LSP trace packet+, without any label, then we should drop the
packet without processing"

Reason: In trace route mode we want packets to reach control plane 
due to TTL expiry, but in PHP p2mp mode packets are also received by 
bud nodes due the PHP. As a result we can make an assumption that, 
the packet received by control plane is not due to TTL expiry, and 
drop the packets.

But the chages are not incoporated in the latest draft.
I'll also forward the mail thread in which we had discussed about it.

$hiv...

|-----Original Message-----
|From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
|Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:30 AM
|To: [email-masked]
|Cc: [email-masked]
|Subject: [mpls] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-lsp-ping-12.txt
|
|A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
|directories.
|This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
|Group of the IETF.
|
|
|	Title           : Detecting Data Plane Failures in Point-to-
|Multipoint Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) - Extensions to LSP
Ping
|	Author(s)       : S. Yasukawa, et al.
|	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-lsp-ping-12.txt
|	Pages           : 27
|	Date            : 2010-10-18
|
|Recent proposals have extended the scope of Multiprotocol Label
|Switching (MPLS) Label Switched Paths (LSPs) to encompass
|point-to-multipoint (P2MP) LSPs.
|
|The requirement for a simple and efficient mechanism that can be used
|to detect data plane failures in point-to-point (P2P) MPLS LSPs has
|been recognized and has led to the development of techniques for
|fault detection and isolation commonly referred to as "LSP Ping".
|
|The scope of this document is fault detection and isolation for P2MP
|MPLS LSPs.  This documents does not replace any of the mechanisms of
|LSP Ping, but clarifies their applicability to MPLS P2MP LSPs, and
|extends the techniques and mechanisms of LSP Ping to the MPLS P2MP
|environment.Copyright Notice
|
|Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
|document authors.  All rights reserved.
|
|A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
|http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-lsp-ping-12.tx
t
|
|Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
|ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
|
|Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
|implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
|Internet-Draft.