Subject: [mpls] Response to Updated draft Recommendation G.tpoam [Ref 043.02]

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 08:49:16 +0000

Title: Response to Updated draft Recommendation G.tpoam [Ref 043.02]

Submission Date: 15th January 2011

From: IETF Liaison to ITU-T on MPLS [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
     [email-masked]
     [email-masked]

Response Contact: [email-masked]
Technical Contact: [email-masked]

Purpose: For Action
Deadline: 15th March 2011

Thank you for your liaison statement "LS233 - Updated draft 
Recommendation G.tpoam [Ref 043.01]"

The MPLS Working Group notes that this document contains
text describing MPLS-TP OAM protocols not designed and
standardized using the IETF Standards process. Specifically it
uses material from draft-bhh-mpls-tp-oam-y1731-06. Please may we
draw your attention to the status section of all Internet-Drafts
which says:

"Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
documents at any time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts
as reference material or to cite them other than as
"work in progress".

Please also note that since the draft filename starts with
the prefix string "draft-bhh" this clearly identifies it to
the reader as a document expressing the personal technical
views of the authors and hence hence as a document that that
does not have any acknowledged level of IETF consensus.

Since the text of draft Recommendation for G.tpoam is based
on an MPLS-TP OAM protocol not designed within the IETF
Standards Process this is a breach of the SG15 agreement
with the IETF as published in "Report of the first meeting
of Working Party 3/15 Transport network structures
(2009-2012)" (Geneva, 1 – 12 December 2008) which can
be found at http://www.itu.int/md/T09-SG15-R-0004/en. As a
consequence the MPLS WG has not been asked to review this
Draft Recommendation by the IETF management. When the ITU-T
SG15 liaises a draft Recommendation written in accordance
with the above agreement, IETF management will ask the MPLS
WG to perform an in depth review. We look forward to receiving
your next draft.

Please confirm that the ITU-T intends to continue with the
joint work on MPLS-TP and that the ITU-T will align this
recommendation with the IETF MPLS-TP OAM design before advancing
this document through the ITU-T publication process.

You should also be aware of the IETF copyright rules. Please
see http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info/archive/IETF-
Trust-License-Policy-20091228.htm for further details.

Since this draft Recommendation contains text in which
the ITU-T SG15 has proposed making changes to IETF protocols
without the approval of the IETF, the MPLS Working Group
have referred this liaison to the IAB for their
consideration.

Please can we take this opportunity state that the IETF
is committed to developing the MPLS-TP solution as described
in the Joint Working Team Recommendations and meeting
the jointly agreed MPLS-TP requirements documented in
RFC5654.

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 08:50:38 +0000

I would like to thank the MPLS Working Group for the review of this 
liaison.

I have sent the following to the ITU-T which I believe to be factually 
correct.

Regards

Stewart
(IETF Liaison to ITU-T on MPLS)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[mpls] Response to Updated draft Recommendation G.tpoam [Ref 
043.02]
Date: 	Sat, 15 Jan 2011 08:49:16 +0000
From: 	Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked], "ITU-T SG15 TSB"@cisco.com, Greg 
<[email-masked]>, Hiroshi Ota <[email-masked]>, IAB <[email-masked]>
CC: 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>, Greg <[email-masked]>, 
Malcolm.BETTS <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], 
[email-masked], ITU-T SG15 [email-masked], Lam, Hing-Kam (Kam) 
<[email-masked]>, Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>, Adrian 
Farrel <[email-masked]>, Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>, 
Huub Van Helvoort <[email-masked]>, Ghani Abbas 
<[email-masked]>

Purpose: For Action

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls