Subject: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-retire-ach-tlv-02.txt> (Retiring TLVs from the Associated Channel Header of the MPLS Generic Associated Channel) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 06:35:58 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG
(mpls) to consider the following document:
- 'Retiring TLVs from the Associated Channel Header of the MPLS Generic
   Associated Channel'
  <draft-ietf-mpls-retire-ach-tlv-02.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-07-31. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The MPLS Generic Associated Channel (G-ACh) is a generalization of
   the applicability of the Pseudowire (PW) Associated Channel Header
   (ACH).  RFC 5586 defines the concept of TLV constructs that can be
   carried in messages on the G-ACh by placing them in the ACH between
   the fixed header fields and the G-ACh message.  These TLVs are called
   ACH TLVs

   No Associated Channel Type yet defined uses an ACH TLV.  Furthermore,
   it is believed that handling TLVs in hardware introduces significant
   problems to the fast-path, and since G-ACh messages are intended to
   be processed substantially in hardware, the use of ACH TLVs is
   undesirable.

   This document updates RFC 5586 by retiring ACH TLVs and removing the
   associated registry.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-retire-ach-tlv/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-retire-ach-tlv/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.