Subject: [mpls] "opertor" in draft-ietf-mpls-tp-psc-itu

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 13:13:04 +0800

Authors/Editors,

Section 4.1 of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-psc-itu-00 uses the term "network
operator" in a way that makes the reader think that this is true for
every network operator.

  "..., for network operators it is
   important that the MPLS-TP protection switching preserves the network
   operation behavior to which network operators have become accustomed."

Admittedly "transport network operators" are a sufficiently large group,
but far from the only once that think of themselves as "network
operators", likely the majority of "network operators" are not for their
operational activities interested or even aware of the commands
described in this document.

My experience is also that the IETF should not tell "network operators"
what is important for them.

Suggested new text (from the beginning of the paragraph):

   "Transport network operators run networks based on different
    technologies, e.g. optical transport networks, Etherent transport
    networks and MPLS-TP networks. Commonality between operational
    procedures are important. For transport network operators accustomed
    to the operational procedures for Optical and Ethernet transport
    networks this document defines the same procedures for MPLS-TP
    networks."

/Loa

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert                          [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64