Subject: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-in-band-wildcard-encoding-02.txt> (mLDP In-Band Signaling with Wildcards) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 07:49:16 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG
(mpls) to consider the following document:
- 'mLDP In-Band Signaling with Wildcards'
  <draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-in-band-wildcard-encoding-02.txt> as Proposed
Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-10-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   There are scenarios in which an IP multicast tree traverses an MPLS
   domain.  In these scenarios, it can be desirable to convert the IP
   multicast tree "seamlessly" to an MPLS multipoint label switched path
   (MP-LSP) when it enters the MPLS domain, and then to convert it back
   to an IP multicast tree when it exits the MPLS domain.  Previous
   documents specify procedures that allow certain kinds of IP multicast
   trees (either "Source-Specific Multicast" trees or "Bidirectional
   Multicast" trees) to be attached to an MPLS Multipoint Label Switched
   Path (MP-LSP).  However, the previous documents do not specify
   procedures for attaching IP "Any Source Multicast" trees to MP-LSPs,
   nor do they specify procedures for aggregating multiple IP multicast
   trees onto a single MP-LSP.  This document specifies the procedures
   to support these functions.  It does so by defining "wildcard"
   encodings that make it possible to specify, when setting up an MP-
   LSP, that a set of IP multicast trees, or a shared IP multicast tree,
   should be attached to that MP-LSP.  Support for non-bidirectional IP
   "Any Source Multicast" trees is subject to certain applicability
   restrictions that are discussed in this document.  This document
   updates RFCs 6826 and 7246.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-in-band-wildcard-encoding/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-in-band-wildcard-encoding/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.