Subject: [MSEC] [Fwd: re: my message to msec rejected]

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:14:11 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: re: my message to msec rejected
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:23:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Sandy Murphy)
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

I replied to Ed JanEd Jankiewicz's message that he posted to sidr,
rpsec, msec and tsvwg.  It bounced from rpsec (it thinks I'm not a member!),
from sidr (too many recipients) from tsvwg (I really am not a member, 
there),
and msec (not allowed to post).

Anything you can do about the msec copy of the message?

Here's my rejection notice from the msec group.

--Sandy

>From [email-masked]  Mon Sep 29 16:03:33 2008
Subject: Re: [RPSEC] Authentication for OSPFv3
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:05:02 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]

--===============1151216042==
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message has
been automatically rejected.  If you think that your messages are
being rejected in error, contact the mailing list owner at
[email-masked].

--===============1151216042==
Content-Type: message/rfc822
MIME-Version: 1.0

(V6.0)
	id srcAAAjPaiQC; Mon, 29 Sep 08 16:04:02 -0400
Received: by pecan.tislabs.com (Postfix, from userid 2005)
	id 3E5DD3F443; Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:02:31 -0400 (EDT)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked],
    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [RPSEC] Authentication for OSPFv3
Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:02:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Sandy Murphy)

>What (if any) current initiatives are there that would support automated 
>key exchange for OSFPv3 authentication?

You have msec on the list of recipients, which is where I (not an active
participant, mind you) think the answer lies.  Both GDOI (RFC 3547) and
GSAKMP (RFC 4535) are group key management protocols, which is what
OSPFv3 needs.  Unfortunately, both assume the existence of a group
controller that plays an important role in distributing keys.  In other
words, the very democratic all-are-equal many-to-many model of OSPF 
might find it
difficult to map to the envisioned group security architecture.  I
suppose it might be possible to consider the Designated Router as the
group controller, but as the DR is elected, that might be a difficult fit.

Even if you solve the group key management problem for OSPFv3, you still
have the difficulty to doing anti-replay in a multicast environment.
Manral presented a draft some years ago to the rpsec working group about
the crypto vulnerabilities of routing protocols, and concentrated for
OSPFv3 on replay vulnerabilities.  Unfortunately, that did not go anywhere.

Just for fun, I'm adding the routing area ADs and the secdir on this list.
This is one of those cross-disciplinary concerns that has the right people
in several different wgs and areas.  The more the merrier, right?

The one quibble I have is that the tsvwg probably has little to do with this
problem - the transport for OSPFv3 is IP, not TCP, and IP is not the level
of stuff their charter looks at.

(And sorry for the late reply to your messages, I've been mulling the 
options.)

--Sandy

---------  In reply to ------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:52:07 -0400
From: Ed Jankiewicz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked]
Subject: [RPSEC] Authentication for OSPFv3

I am not an active follower of these lists but have a question.  Please
reply off-list directly to [email-masked] or copy me if this
triggers relevant discussion on your list.

What (if any) current initiatives are there that would support automated
key exchange for OSFPv3 authentication?  RFC 4552 relies upon pre-shared
secret keys for generating message digest, but some of my constituents
have issues with manual generation, distribution and configuration of
keys in their IPv6 network deployment.  Is any of the current work on
IKE revisions applicable, any work being done in your working group, or
do you know of any OSPF-specific solution being developed somewhere?

Thanks.

-- 
Ed Jankiewicz - SRI International
Fort Monmouth Branch Office - IPv6 Research
Supporting DISA Standards Engineering Branch
732-389-1003 or  [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
RPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rpsec

--===============1151216042==--

_______________________________________________
MSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/msec