Subject: [multipathtcp] Draft on MPTCP application considerations and API

From: "SCHARF, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 17:43:43 +0200

Hi all,

Alan Ford and me have put together some text that addresses the
implications of multipath transport on applications and the question how
applications could control some aspects of the behavior of MPTCP, e. g.,
by sockets interface extensions. The target readers are in particular
application programmers.

The draft does not specify an API so far. Instead, Section 5 contains a
list of potential requirements on this API. We would really be
interested in feedback from the WG. The current list should just serve
as a starting point for this discussion. It is probably incomplete, and
some of the listed requirements might turn out to be unnecessary or
overly complex as the MPTCP protocol spec evolves.

Of course, any comment would be very welcome.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-scharf-mptcp-api-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : MPTCP Application Interface Considerations
	Author(s)       : M. Scharf, A. Ford
	Filename        : draft-scharf-mptcp-api-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2009-10-15

Multipath TCP (MPTCP) adds the capability of using multiple paths to a
regular TCP session.  Even though it is designed to be totally backward
compatible, the data transport differs to the existing TCP, and there
are several additional degrees of freedom that affect applications.
This document summarizes the impact that MPTCP may have on applications,
such as changes in performance.  Furthermore, it describes an optional
extended application interface that provides access to multipath
information and enables control of some aspects of the MPTCP
implementation's behaviour.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-scharf-mptcp-api-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.