Subject: [multipathtcp] Multipath TCP Implementors workshop, Saturday 24th July

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 10:54:30 +0100

The IETF's Multipath TCP (MPTCP) working group is organising a workshop
with the OS and applications communities on the Saturday afternoon
immediately before the IETF meeting in Maastricht (i.e. on 24th July)
(http://www.ietf.org/meeting/78/index.html)

If you would like to come, please register to
[email-masked]. Due to room size, numbers are limited and
registration is required.

Multipath TCP enables a single TCP connection to use multiple network
interfaces and paths simultaneously for one TCP connection. From an
applications perspective, this increases resilience and enables a basic
form of connection mobility, whilst from an OS perspective it requires a
change to the host TCP stack.

IETF working group:
http://www.ietf.org/dyn/wg/charter/mptcp-charter
Supplemental information: http://nrg.cs.ucl.ac.uk/mptcp/

The objective of the workshop is to help make MPTCP real, i.e., to get
it implemented in many operating systems and to get it used by key
applications. This will be an interactive workshop with application
designers (who would use MPTCP), OS implementors (who would implement
and ship MPTCP) and MPTCP working group people (who are designing and
standardising MPTCP). Note that this is not a passive "dissemination"
workshop! The aim is to have an active discussion with the OS and
applications communities about their requirements and needs, in order to
influence and improve the MPTCP protocol design.

The workshop will be highly interactive and focus on two topics:

* On the one hand, it is to understand the process through which
  Multipath TCP could make its way into OSes. The OS implementers
  and active community members can explain their real world
  requirements and constraints on the various platforms. What are
  the potential stumbling blocks for MPTCP's implementation and how
  could the protocol designers lower the deployment barriers?

* On the other hand, the WG would like to discuss the use cases for
  Multipath TCP with the applications community. What are the gotchas
  and how can the protocol designers increase the usefulness of
  MPTCP?

Where & when?

The workshop will be held on July 24, 2010 in Maastricht at the IETF
meeting venue, "MECC", starting at 2pm (room to be confirmed). This is
the Saturday afternoon before the start of the IETF week.

We hope that remote participation will also be possible, via Webex.

We would be pleased to hear feedback on the scope and purpose of the
workshop.

The workshop is organised under the auspices of the MPTCP working group,
but is not a formal WG meeting - for instance, WG consensus calls will
not be made.

Best wishes,
Philip Eardley
Yoshifumi Nishida
[email-masked]