Subject: Re: trying to sweep namedroppers mismanagement under the rug

From: "John S. Quarterman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 21:37:16 -0600

> [ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam, it is easy to mis
> s
>   and therefore delete posts by non-subscribers.  your subscription address i
> s
>   [email-masked], please post from it or, if yo
> u
>   wish to regularly post from an address that is not subscribed to this
>   mailing list, send a message to [email-masked] and ask to
>   have the alternate address added to the list of addresses from which
>   submissions are automatically accepted. ]
> 
> Bill Strahm writes:
> > I believe the problem is in your court
> 
> That's patently absurd. It's not _my_ fault that a bunch of messages
> from _other_ people are being silently discarded.

If they're not subscribers and they're not on a posting exception list,
there's no reason their messages should be posted.

Every complaint message I've seen from djb about this has had an
explanation prepended by the list software like the one above,
and su bscription information appended automatically.

This is a non-problem.  Could we stop hearing about it.

-jsq

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 01:38:57 -0500 (EST)

I would agree the problem is solved if Bush adds the proper addresses to
the approved subscribers list, as publicly requested.

But since it has taken so much discussion to arrive at that solution (and
I'm not sure we have yet), list management is clearly a problem, and has
been a chronic problem.

		--Dean

---

From: Bruce Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:11:23 +0100 (CET)

> I'm not sure we have yet), list management is clearly a problem, and has

urm... if you read back, you'll find that a number of people have been
suggesting this very solution (ie, Bernstein should ask to have his
preferred posting address added to an allow-posters list) for a number of
days now.  The fact that Bernstein felt that he had to ignore all of these
and continue on ancient history until Bush spelled it out for him[1] would
tend to indicate a lack of Common Sense on Bernstein's part.

Next topic.

--==--
Bruce.

[1] One would think that something is up when most of one's posts from
    16th of March 2002 have all been labeled with something like '[post
    from non-subscriber]' when they get forwarded to a mailing list,
    particularly when one has publically complained about mailing list
    software and written one's own.

---

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 17:47:01 -0500 (EST)

> tend to indicate a lack of Common Sense on Bernstein's part.

This isn't a fair or accurate description of whats been going on.

Bush has been asked numerous times (publicly and privately) to do this,
over a period of months, but hasn't. Instead, he has delayed or deleted
posts from the [email-masked] address. Bush has been exploiting the fact
that djb doesn't receive mail at [email-masked], and so can't use the
automated methods to change the subscription address.  That is the
problem. (this time).

This is a willful and reckless disregard by Bush in order to inconvenience
and harass Dr. Bernstein.  It is not the only time Bush has used his
position to inappropriately harrass Dr. Bernstein and other people.

		--Dean