Subject: Re: Clear path requirement

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:01:22 -0500

> Interesting -- I've been stuck behind "transparent" proxy caches
> that intercept DNS messages, even when the dest IP is a server I
> know.  Indeed, the service in the hotel rooms here at the IETF
> have this "feature"...

Yes, indeed, this is the one exception of which I am aware, and I have 
also run into it at other hotels.   I am glad that the fact that I use 
DNS correctly means that I can't get through this box - I find it 
alarming that a device such as this might silently corrupt my network 
transactions. Anything that can be done to make it so that Joe Average 
simply loses when trying to connect through such boxes is a good thing. 
  It gives the service provider a financial incentive to fix the problem 
- it means they have to pay for backcharges, reduces their income, and 
runs up the phone bill on their 800-number.   It is not in Joe 
Average's interest to connect through a device that arbitrarily 
modifies the contents of DNS packets - no good can come of it.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Jakob Schlyter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 22:54:33 -0500 (EST)

> know.  Indeed, the service in the hotel rooms here at the IETF

the "transparent" proxy caches play well with other DNSSEC RR types such
as SIG, KEY and NXT ? what about support for EDNS0 ?

	jakob