Subject: namedroppers, continued

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Nov 2002 20:07:11 -0000

Bush stuck the following note into the top of my latest message to
namedroppers:

   [ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam, it is
   easy to miss and therefore delete posts by non-subscribers.  your
   subscription address is [email-masked],
   please post from it or, if you wish to regularly post from an address
   that is not subscribed to this mailing list, send a message to
   [email-masked] and ask to have the alternate address
   added to the list of addresses from which submissions are
   automatically accepted. ]

Okay, Bush: Put [email-masked] on the list of addresses from which
submissions are automatically accepted.

Furthermore: Stop publishing private subscription addresses. This
includes malicious actions by the list owner, accidents by the list
owner, failure to configure the mailing-list software to keep
subscription addresses private, etc.

Furthermore: When you want to say something to a sender, say it in an
immediate bounce message to that sender (which in this case would have
been [email-masked]), not in a stupid editorial note
on the top of the sender's message to the list. You're perfectly aware
that many senders don't read messages to the list.

Furthermore: Stop delaying messages. The delay is unacceptable. The
excuse for the delay, namely manual review, is also unacceptable. Under
United States antitrust law, standard-setting procedures must ``prevent
the standard-setting process from being biased by members with economic
interests in stifling product competition''; your reviews plainly flunk
this test.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Nov 2002 23:22:03 -0000

Keith claims that allowing ``contributions from outsiders'' requires
delay and manual review. That claim is absurd. Immediately bounce the
message to the ``outsider,'' with instructions explaining how to have
the message sent to subscribers; end of problem.