Subject: Re: Is this correct behavior?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:23:55 +1100

Squish has case sensitivity bugs.  sid.nimrod.no and
	SID.NIMROD.NO produce different results.

	Query restart should not a issue here.  The question should be
	answered on the second query and UDP clients should be making
	more than one request.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Internet Software Consortium
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Kare Presttun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:42:24 +0100

>       SID.NIMROD.NO produce different results.

You are very correct in observing this (I did a test, and included
James in the CC).
At 27.11.2002 04:58 +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
 >
 >second, i've seen comments here to the effect that a name node's ownership
 >was zone-independent, and that's just plain wrong.  again, early bind got
 >this horribly wrong and caused a lot of pain and confusion, and we need to
 >retain what's been learned (which is foundational to rfc2181 and rfc2308),
 >which is that a delegation point is owned by the child zone and the parent
 >can at best send delegations, never answers and never authoritative, when
 >queried for things at a child zone's delegation point.  bind9 does this
 >correctly.  an apparently common misunderstanding as to the contents of a
 >zone is that data can be copied from a child without changing the identity
 >of the parent.  this is just false, and is indicative of other conceptual
 >errors.

 From the statement of Mr. Vixie I draw the following conclusion about
the .no ccTLD servers (please correct me if I'm wrong):

nn.uninett.no.  Correct (authority for nimrod.no)
ifi.uio.no.   Correct (recursive)
nac.no.   Correct
not.norid.no.   Wrong (gives answer and partly glue)
njet.norid.no.   Wrong (gives answer and partly glue)
slave1.sth.netnod.se.   Correct

All diged below for completeness (using sid.nimrod.no as example):

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @nn.uninett.no sid.nimrod.no
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sid.nimrod.no.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sid.nimrod.no.          86400   IN      A       195.139.160.2

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      sid.nimrod.no.
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      desoto.nimrod.no.
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      nn.uninett.no.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
nn.uninett.no.          3600    IN      A       158.38.0.181
desoto.nimrod.no.       86400   IN      A       195.139.160.6

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @ifi.uio.no sid.nimrod.no
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sid.nimrod.no.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sid.nimrod.no.          86400   IN      A       195.139.160.2

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      nn.uninett.no.
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      sid.nimrod.no.
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      desoto.nimrod.no.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
nn.uninett.no.          86400   IN      A       158.38.0.181
sid.nimrod.no.          86400   IN      A       195.139.160.2
desoto.nimrod.no.       86400   IN      A       195.139.160.6

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @nac.no sid.nimrod.no
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sid.nimrod.no.                 IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      sid.nimrod.no.
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      desoto.nimrod.no.
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      nn.uninett.no.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
nn.uninett.no.          3600    IN      A       158.38.0.181
sid.nimrod.no.          86400   IN      A       195.139.160.2
desoto.nimrod.no.       86400   IN      A       195.139.160.6

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @not.norid.no sid.nimrod.no
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sid.nimrod.no.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sid.nimrod.no.          86400   IN      A       195.139.160.2

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      sid.nimrod.no.
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      nn.uninett.no.
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      desoto.nimrod.no.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
nn.uninett.no.          86400   IN      A       158.38.0.181
desoto.nimrod.no.       86400   IN      A       195.139.160.6

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @njet.norid.no sid.nimrod.no
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sid.nimrod.no.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sid.nimrod.no.          86400   IN      A       195.139.160.2

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      sid.nimrod.no.
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      nn.uninett.no.
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      desoto.nimrod.no.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
nn.uninett.no.          86400   IN      A       158.38.0.181
desoto.nimrod.no.       86400   IN      A       195.139.160.6

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @slave1.sth.netnod.se sid.nimrod.no
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sid.nimrod.no.                 IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      desoto.nimrod.no.
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      nn.uninett.no.
nimrod.no.              86400   IN      NS      sid.nimrod.no.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
nn.uninett.no.          86400   IN      A       158.38.0.181
sid.nimrod.no.          86400   IN      A       195.139.160.2
desoto.nimrod.no.       86400   IN      A       195.139.160.6

Thanks a lot for clarifications and observations.

Med vennlig hilsen | Best regards,
Kåre Presttun
Tel.: +47 4100 4908
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.presttun.org/kare/

---

From: James Ponder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:36:50 +0000

[ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam, it is easy to miss
  and therefore delete posts by non-subscribers.  if you wish to regularly
  post from an address that is not subscribed to this mailing list, send a
  message to <listname>[email-masked] and ask to have the alternate
  address added to the list of addresses from which submissions are
  automatically accepted. ]

> You are very correct in observing this (I did a test, and included

Thank you both for notifying me about this, I have hopefully fixed the bugs.

Best wishes, James
-- 
James Ponder; www.squish.net; London, UK