Subject: RE: namedroppers, continued

From: "Bill Strahm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:46:38 -0800

Silly question,

But you DO know what it will take to get your message to be immediately
seen by the list, you just aren't willing to do it... 

I believe the problem is in your court, easily solved and it is not time
to move on to something that might be slightly productive

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of D.
J. Bernstein
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2002 3:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: namedroppers, continued

Keith claims that allowing ``contributions from outsiders'' requires
delay and manual review. That claim is absurd. Immediately bounce the
message to the ``outsider,'' with instructions explaining how to have
the message sent to subscribers; end of problem.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Nov 2002 01:01:11 -0000

Bill Strahm writes:
> I believe the problem is in your court

That's patently absurd. It's not _my_ fault that a bunch of messages
from _other_ people are being silently discarded.

(As I said before, there have been more than 100 messages in the past
three months on namedroppers labelled as coming from non-subscribers,
only a small fraction of those being mine. Furthermore, Bush has
silently discarded several of my recent messages. If we believe Bush's
claim that he isn't selectively targeting my messages, the only
reasonable conclusion is that he has silently discarded a huge number of
messages overall, only a small fraction being mine.)

Most namedroppers contributors who don't post from subscription
addresses are, presumably, people who don't watch the list at all---for
example, people from other lists involved in cross-posted discussions.
How are they supposed to find out about the problem?

I do tend to watch the list. I noticed the problem. I pointed it out.
That doesn't mean I'm the only person with the problem.

If the problem is fixed _for me_, but not _for everybody_, then it
hasn't gone away. The procedures are still broken. Legitimate messages
to namedroppers---potentially quite valuable messages---continue to be
thrown away.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 15:00:21 +0200 (EET)

> the message sent to subscribers; end of problem.

No, it's not 'end of problem'.

If I cross-post a reply to some message with was cross-posted to a list
I'm subscribed at and a list I'm not, in the general case I do *not* want
to subscribe to the other list to be able to send my cross-post reply to
both.

Waiting for moderator approval is just fine for me, much better than
requiring to subscribe or do something else.

It's not black and white.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords