Subject: Re: draft-ietf-dnsext-keyrr-key-signing-flag-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:51:43 +1100

There are multiple conflicting definitions of what a KSK is.

   With the DS record [5] the concept of key-signing and zone-signing
   keys has been introduced.  Key-signing keys are the keys that sign
   the keyset only.  In general, key-signing keys are the keys that are
   pointed to by DS records and are the first keys to be used when
   following a chain of trust into the zone.  The key-signing keys only
   sign the KEY RRset at the apex of a zone, zone- signing keys sign all
   other data in a zone.  We propose a flag to distinguish the key-
   signing key from other keys in the KEY RR set during DNSSEC
   operations.

   By setting the KSK flag on a particular key, zone administrators
   indicate that that key SHOULD be used as the secure entry point for
   their zone.  Therefore zone administrators SHOULD set the bit only
   for zone keys that are used to sign the KEY RRset and are intended to
   act as the first link in the chain of trust for their zone.

	The last sentence should be changed to:

	Therefore zone administrators SHOULD set the bit only
   for zone keys that are used to sign the KEY RRset only and are intended to
   act as the first link in the chain of trust for their zone.

	to bring the definitions into alignment.

	There should be a note that if KSK is set on a key that there
	MUST be other keys without KSK set to sign the rest of the zone's
	contents as KSK's are restricted to only signing the KEY RRset.

	Mark
-- 
Mark Andrews, Internet Software Consortium
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE:	+61 2 9871 4742		         INTERNET: [email-masked]

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>