Subject: partial answer Re: Dropping denial of existence of wildcard

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:53:42 -0500

At 10:23 -0500 12/3/02, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
>Also, what about the case where a.b.example.com exists but doesn't
>have an RR of the appropriate type, but there's a covering wildcard
>with that RR type?

The premise of the algorithm (in RFC 1034) is that first you look for 
a domain name (match the QNAME).  From that either you find a match, 
you fall back to a wild card, or NXDOMAIN.  If you match at the 
specific name, you forget the others.  If the RR set you seek is not 
at the specific name, you return "no data" and do not look for a wild 
card entry.

Another way to think of this is that the wild card matching is done 
at domain name granularity, not RR set granularity.
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>