Subject: Re: does anybody use additional/authority records on RD/RA replies

From: Bruce Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:57:37 +0100 (CET)

On 16 Jan 2003, D. J. Bernstein wrote, removing the original context:

> Bruce Campbell writes:
> > the memory footprint of a DNS cache
>
> You think that it's better use of memory to have separate caches---plus
> separate caching code---in every application?

In the original context that I provided, it _was_ a better usage of
_resources_, not necessarily memory, to re-use information previously
received due to the greater expense of asking for the same information,
_at that point in time_ (ie, more expensive internet links, more expensive
cpu, more expensive memory).

--==--
Bruce.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Jan 2003 12:22:11 -0000

Bruce Campbell writes:
> more expensive internet links, more expensive cpu, more expensive memory

I'm not saying that bandwidth, CPU time, and memory are free. I'm saying
that the costs of the strategy you're advocating outweigh the benefits.
A machine-wide cache is better than an ad-hoc cache in every program.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago