Subject: RE: draft-danisch-dns-rr-smtp-02.txt

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 11:35:22 -0700

> Spam is a problem. It is annoyance. We would *love* to see it 
> go away. But
> it is not the end of the world, as some would like to think.

People are going to take actions to make it go away.

So far many of the solutions have caused more problems than the spam. If the
technical community refuses to provide constructive advice the solutions
adopted are going to be ones it really dislikes. 

> They are not going away, no matter how much
> Type 3 spam radical anti-spammers send.

Legislation is a blunt tool and an expensive one. So far the majority of
enforcement actions have been against spam senders sending pornography to
kids and gangs running con schemes.

I am trying to get the US Postal Inspectorate to be given the authority to
go after the consumer fraud spam. But no, I don't expect a huge enforcement
effort against legitimate companies sending bulk email until the worst of
the worst are under control.

There is an interaction between the legislation and the technology. It is
likely that the legislation will ban use of false headers, open relays etc. 

> The actions the FTC has been taking (via press releases) is 
> partly due to misleading statements made to the FTC,

The FTC has been holding hearings that were attended by many senior Senators
and Congressmen and all of the commissioners. This is not a press release
process here.

		Phill 

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>