Subject: Re: draft-danisch-dns-rr-smtp-02.txt

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 01:19:49 -0500

The cost-v-benefit for this RR will vary. Forged mail domains is a point
on the spam continuum, but it's also on the security continuum, the worm
continuum, and even the legal continuum such as idiots promising giveaways
for contests I'm not having. Frankly I don't even care whether this knocks
down any spam at all, I just want control over who gets to use my domain
name, regardless of their motives. If spammers move to some other domain
and keep spamming, then that's actually a victory in my book.

This approach gives all domain owners that same offer of protection,
assuming their network topology allows them to use it. For me it would be
easy since I always send mail through my own mail server no matter where
I'm at. For other folks it will mean using dynamic DNS or scripts to
append RRs pointing to wherever they happen to be. Other organizations
will have other problems, but none of that makes it unusable for the folks
who can use it.

Trying to block its development because some people can't use it isn't
really justified unless it harms the network. It could certainly be
improved (please limit the RR data to a single entry) but near as I can
tell it isn't a threat to global DNS stability since it is limited to
voluntary domains, and nodes have to request that specific RR for those
specific domains, and given the kinds of sites that will check this then
most of those lookups are likely to happen after the query path has
already been cached from other checks anyway, none of which we have any
control over.

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>