Subject: Re: RFC 1035, section 3.3.1

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 01:27:21 -0400

Er, -which- DNS name in RFC 1035 3.3.1?  Owner name or RDATA?

IMIHO: yes, the DNS name in the RDATA can start with the label "*",
what happens is the same as always happens with CNAME processing (so
after hitting this CNAME doing an explict query for a name with "*" as
the first label, so no wildcard sythesis on this link in the CNAME
chain), and this is even more twisted than what Mark thought Ed meant.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 16:28:17 -0700

This is what I meant.  I was trying some code, but with faulty data. 
The "logical" thing to me, as well as what the code did once the data 
was fixed was the same - the first SNAME is QNAME, the second SNAME 
would qualify as a wild card name.

(3.3.1 has RDATA in the title, so maybe that's a trick question.)

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Okay, okay, the previous sig wasn't all that good...