Subject: Re: opcode value 2

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jun 2003 08:19:45 +0000

> Has anyone ever implemented OPCODE=STATUS?  Does anyone know where it 
> is specified - beyond section 3.8 of 1034?

In RFC833, opcode=2 was to mean CQUERYM.  I think RFC1034's STATUS remains
unspecified.  A cautionary note to protocol tweakers... a DNS message can
carry whatever you want it to, as long as it looks like a QUERY.  The OPCODE
field is not a discriminator.  All messages regardless of opcode have four
sections and those sections have things that look like RR's.  In RFC2136 we
found a way to carry updates in this format, and almost got away with making
it look like it was supposed to be done this way all along.  If someone wants
to define STATUS, please be clever and find a use for all four "sections."
-- 
Paul Vixie

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:22:59 -0400

At 8:19 +0000 6/10/03, Paul Vixie wrote:
>sections and those sections have things that look like RR's.

True.  What I'm after is using the OPCODE to know how to interpret 
the data in the section.  I.e., if an NXT in the second of the four 
sections means anything special.

The header and the four sections are sacrosanct, just like the 
Q-trinity ought to be.  (Thanks EDNS0 flags. ;))  Oh well, that ship 
has sailed. ;)
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Okay, okay, the previous sig wasn't all that good...