Subject: Draft Charter.

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:58:57 +0200

Below is a draft for a charter revision. Please send in your comments, we
want to get this to the IESG shortly.

-- Olaf Kolkman, DNSEXT co-chair.

---------------------------------| Olaf M. Kolkman
---------------------------------| RIPE NCC

DNSEXT DNS Extensions Working group
---------------------------------------------------

  Charter
  Last Modified: 20-June-2003

  Current Status: Active Working Group (being re-chartered)

  Chair(s):
      Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
      Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>

  Internet Area Director(s):
      Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
      Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>

  Internet Area Advisor:
      Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>

  Mailing Lists:
      General Discussion: [email-masked]
      To Subscribe:       [email-masked]
      Archive:            <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

Description of Working Group:

 DNS was originally specified in RFC's 1034 and 1035, with subsequent
 updates.  Within the scope of this WG are protocol issues, including
 message formats, message handling, and data formats. New work items
 and milestones may be added from time-to-time with the approval of
 the Working Group and the IESG.

 Issues surrounding the operation of DNS, recommendations concerning
 the configuration of DNS servers, and other issues with the use of
 the protocol are out of this Working Group's charter.  These issues
 are considered in other venues, such as the DNS Operations Working
 Group.

 Broad topics include changes to the DNS protocol and advance DNS
 protocol documents along the standards track. This includes advance
 zone transfer, update, notify, security documents to Draft standard.

Specific work items are:

       o Protocol clarifications and corrections for DNSSEC, initially
         these clarifications will be done as separate RFCs which will
         later be folded into a document that we refer to as the RFC
         2535bis document standard These include plans and changes
         that simplify the operation of DNSSEC.

       o Generate new specification documents of DNSSEC (the RFC
         2535bis document set) that includes all changes to RFC2535.
         This includes the following RFCs 2931, 3007, 3008, 3090 and
         3226 and a number of Internet Drafts including DS,
         AD-is-secure, Key Signing Flag, etc. Advance this document
         set through the standard process.

       o Clarification of RFC1034/1035	 
         + Clarification of wildcard processing rules.
         + Case Insensitivity Clarification.

       o Advance the following existing proposed and draft standards on
         the standard track.

         + RFC1995 (IXFR)  to Draft standard.
	 + RFC1996 (Norify) to Draft standard.
	 + RFC2136bis (Dynamic Update) to Draft Standard.
	 + RFC2181 (Clarify) to IESG for advancement to Draft Standard.
	 + RFC2308 (Neg Caching) to Draft Standard.
	 + RFC2671 (EDNS0) to Draft Standard.
	 + RFC2835 (TSIG)to Draft standard.
	 + RFC2930 ( TKEY) to Draft standard.
	 + RFC3007 (Secure Update) to Draft standard.
	 + RFC3??? AXFR clarify to Draft Standard.
         + RFC3??? GSS/TSIG to Draft Standard         

       o IPv6 support in DNS records and IPv6 DNS services
         + RFC1886bis to Draft Standard.

       o Investigate how protocol changes, use of multicast,
         etc. might support zeroconf environments, of the two
         approaches considdered, the WG targets LLMNR as proposed
         standard and Discover as experimental.

 The lifetime of the group is set by the work items above but while
 these are ongoing the working group has additional tasks:

       o Reviewing and providing recommendations about the specification,
         by other working groups, of RR types that do not require any
         special processing and that do not require any special naming
         conventions.

       o Advance relevant documents to full standard.

Goals and Milestones:

 Where there is no milestone for a work item mentioned above, the
 working group has not yet decided upon the priority for the item, or,
 in some cases, whether active work will be undertaken, and no target
 milestone has yet been set.

 The milestones will be reviewed about 3 times per year, coinciding
 with the IETF meeting.

  Jun 03  Submit to IESG OPT-IN as Informational (nomative to RFC2535-bis)
  Jul 03  Forward IPv6 auto-registration to IESG for Experimental
  Jul 03  Submit to IESG DHCID RR for Proposed Standard.
  Jul 03  Forward LLMNR IESG for Proposed Standard.
  Jul 03  Submit to IESG Delegation Signer for Proposed Standard.
  Aug 03  WG last call on the DNSSEC document set(RFC2535-bis).
  Aug 03  WG last call on  IESG Wildcard clarification
  Aug/Sep 03 Submit to IESG KEY algorithm documents RFC253[69] and
             RFC3110 to
  Sep/Oct 03 Forward RFC2535-bis to IESG for to IESG for Proposed
             standard.
  Q3/Q4 03   Submit to IESG Case insensitive clarification for proposed
             standard.
  Q1 04      Submit to IESG RFC2835 (TSIG)to Draft standard.
  Q1 04      Submit to IESG RFC2930 (TKEY) to Draft standard.

 After ownership of interop test has been taken the following items
 will be assigned milestones.

  o RFC1995    (IXFR) to Draft standard
  o RFC1996    (Notify) to  Draft Standard.
  o RFC2136bis (Dynamic Update) to Draft Standard.
  o RFC2181    (Clarify) to Draft Standard.
  o RFC2308    (Neg Caching) to Draft Standard.
  o RFC2535bis (DNSSEC) to Draft standard.
  o RFC2671    (EDNS0) to Draft Standard.
  o RFC3007    (Secure Update) to Draft standard.
  o RFC3???    (AXFR clarify) to Draft Standard.
  o RFC3???    (GSS/TSIG) to Draft Standard         
  o RFC3???    (Unkown RR) to Draft Standard

$Id: Charter.txt,v 1.7 2003/06/20 15:17:30 olaf Exp $

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:00:37 -0400

It's in the milestones...

"  Q3/Q4 03   Submit to IESG Case insensitive clarification for proposed
              standard.
"

At 21:37 -0400 6/23/03, Donald Eastlake 3rd wrote:
>Is "Case Insensitivity" considered too minor to mention? As far as I
>know, its ready for WG last call.
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

...as graceful as a blindfolded bull in a china shop...

---

From: Donald Eastlake 3rd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:36:17 -0400 (EDT)

Ooops, sorry.
Thanks,
Donald
======================================================================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                       [email-masked]
 155 Beaver Street              +1-508-634-2066(h) +1-508-851-8280(w)
 Milford, MA 01757 USA                   [email-masked]

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Edward Lewis wrote:

> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:00:37 -0400
> From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
> To: Donald Eastlake 3rd <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Olaf M. Kolkman <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Draft Charter.
>

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:04:54 +0200 (CEST)

> Any chance of retrieving ad-is-secure from the IESG black hole?

It's in my plate - not the IESG as a whole.
One of the things I intend to finish before I depart in Vienna.

  Erik

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:10:14 +0200 (CEST)

> The latter sentence refers in part to the quagmire that is AXFR 
> clarify.  Whether or not consensus has been reached, we do need to 
> clarify this topic.

As I understand the process the WG has submitted the document to
the IESG and it is up to the IESG to interpret the IETF last call
comments (recommending to the IESG how to proceed is the second DNSEXT 
thing I need  to finish before Vienna).
Until this has been done I think it is perfectly reasonable
for the WG to assume that the document will become a proposed
standard since it is out of the WG's hands.

   Erik