Subject: Re: draft-danisch-dns-rr-smtp-02.txt

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 11:06:01 -0400

Robert,

I know of one approach for policing the acquisition of data. In that model
a data collection policy is announced by a collector, and evaluated by a
user agent. The model allows for both by-reference and as-payload forms of
policy announcement.

Where I personally failed to convince, when attempting to move this model
from its original context (http methods), to another client-server context
(epp commands), was that policy announcement by data collectors was useful
in the first place. An alternative form, a binary opt-in/opt-out label on
the command-embedded data, was adopted as manditory-to-implement.

Labeling each item of mail sent with a binary opt-* tag is different from
being capable of asking a sender how the recipient address was collected,
and if the purpose, and period of retention, and other properties present
in the approach for http methods, are consistent with the recipient's, or
a relay's, policies.

Well, back to work that can be done. The http method dingus is P3P, the
as-payload mini-dingus is compact-policies. The epp command dingus is the
<dcp> element in the epp session initiation command.

Eric

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>