Subject: Re: third-party servers

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:46:21 +0859 ()

DJB;

> Jim Reid writes:
> > I suspect that cr.yp.to consists of not much more than an HTTP server, 
> > an SMTP server and a DNS server. Yet this zone has two NS records.
> 
> The cr.yp.to web and mail services are spread across several machines in   
> my office, so the DNS services are too. For a while, all the services 
> were on one machine, and there was only one DNS server. 
> 
> Either way, this is a good example of RFC 2182 being incorrect. Like the
> administrators of AOL, Harvard, CERT, et al., I have all my DNS servers   
> on my own network. Moving them to third-party networks would _not_ be a 
> good idea.

Well, the fundamental problem is not in RFC2182.

The fundamental probelm is that DNS is a (luckily enough, not so
intelligent) intermediate entity, violating the end to end princple.

As such, moving them to third-party WGs is not a solution.

As DNS does not follow the principle, it is valunerable to problems
of lack of robustness and efficiency, which is common to protocols
ignoring the principle.

Anycast root servers can help the situation unless the needs on
DNS is not so demanding.

							Masataka Ohta

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>