Subject: Re: third-party servers: DNS load, HTTP load, etc.

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:28:58 +0859 ()

djb;

You are the first party and your peers are the second parties.

DNS, however, is an intermediate system requiring third party
operators, selection on which you virtually have no influence,
for root, TLD, in-addr.arpa. and other important domains.

Having yet another third parties of your own choice for your
own domains is not a bad idea for extra redundancy of your
domains.

> Jim, how exactly do you claim that European users can register glue for
> their (big, direct from RIPE) in-addr.arpa delegations?

I don't know the situations in Europe, but, I think you are not saying
you want to operate in-addr.arpa. servers by yourself.

							Masataka Ohta

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Jul 2003 18:36:27 -0000

I wrote:
: Jim, how exactly do you claim that European users can register glue for
: their (big, direct from RIPE) in-addr.arpa delegations?

If Jim's claim was correct, I'd like to document the procedure on my web
pages, so that my users can take advantage of automatic glued [ab].ns...
names. But Jim hasn't responded. Has anyone here successfully convinced
RIPE to add a glued in-addr.arpa server name such as

   3.5.7.in-addr.arpa NS ns1.3.5.7.in-addr.arpa

or should I assume that Jim didn't know what he was talking about?

Masataka Ohta writes:
> own domains is not a bad idea for extra redundancy of your domains.

Using glueless names doesn't add any redundancy. It creates hassles for
the server administrator, creates noticeable delays on occasion for the
client users, and produces a far larger increase in DNS load than any of
the third-party-server issues that prompted this discussion.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago