Subject: Re: [OT] IDN future (Was: DDNS-DHCP [5]: IDN in DDNS-DHCP docs

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 21:46:37 +0859 ()

Stephane;

>  Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]> wrote 
>  a message of 52 lines which said:
> 
> > The problem of them is that they must admit Unicode is hopeless and
> > propose a solution to abandan it, 
> 
> Yes, what is the alternative to Unicode? (Except switching to English
> and US-ASCII.)

As a Japanese using Japanese characters daily over the Internet,
ASCII only communication is no solution.

The solution, of course, has been ISO 2022. See RFC 1554 for details
on how efficient and stateless it can be.

A sad history was that there was a wrong argument that state maintenance
of ISO 2022 were complex.

The reality is that it is simple switching treated by finite state
automaton.

It should now be easily recognized that, given the complex state
transition of Unicode, which essentially needs push down automaton,
you can't say state transition of ISO 2022 complex,

Moreover, it has been well known that state transition of ISO 2022
can be simplified a lot to be almost stateless as is documented in
RFC1468 in 1993.

Note that, in Japan, Unicode is not used at all and ISO 2022
and Shift JIS (a skewed ISO 2022) are the encoding.

Situation is not so different in Europe and ISO 8859/1.

See RFC 1815 on poor performance of Unicode.

						Masataka Ohta

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:29:35 -0400

Masataka San,

The comments of the CDNC and JET to the IETF circa London and Salt Lake
are to the same point.

Eric

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 22:51:44 +0800

I dont remember similar statement from JET made to IETF similar to what 
Masataka-san made.

I mean, considering I am also a member of JET and you are not, one of us 
obviously have a memory gap.

-James Seng