Subject: Re: Transport-independent naming of services

From: Marcos Sanz/Denic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:28:34 +0200

On 12.07.2003 12:02 Florian Weimer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> A distributed application APP can use various transports (e.g., TCP and
> SCTP, or, at a higher level, HTTP, HTTPS, WebDAV, SFTP and FTP) to
> access remote resources.  Remote resources are identified by a
> domain name.
> 
> Can existing DNS RRs be used to describe this scenario in a meaningful
> way?  Registering a new SRV service doesn't help because the SRV RR
> data does not indicate the transport service (just its port number,
> which is not enough data).  The only approach seems to be to register
> SRV service names "APP_http", "APP_https" etc. and to query for all
> services the application might support, but this is not very elegant.
> 
> Any suggestions?

A "straightforward" use of NAPTR records (NAPSTR) could be the thing you 
are looking for:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-daigle-napstr-02.txt

Best regards,
Marcos Sanz
DENIC eG

---

From: Brad Hards <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 06:25:28 +1000

> services the application might support, but this is not very elegant.
Apple's approach uses TXT records for supplemental data. Check out 
http://www.dns-sd.org.

I still think that this is mild abuse of DNS, and recommend using SLPv2 (rfc: 
2608, http://www.srvloc.org). However that is purely opinion, and you need to 
evaluate the available options based on your situation.

Brad

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>