Subject: Re: third-party servers: DNS load, HTTP load, etc.

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:30:59 +0859 ()

Djb;

> Masataka Ohta writes:
> > Having yet another third parties of your own choice for your
> > own domains is not a bad idea for extra redundancy of your domains.
> 
> Using glueless names doesn't add any redundancy.

Using third party servers does add redundancy.

> It creates hassles for
> the server administrator, creates noticeable delays on occasion for the
> client users,

They are minor issues to be negligible.

> and produces a far larger increase in DNS load than any of
> the third-party-server issues that prompted this discussion.

It's me who pointed out that intermingled glueless delegations
sometimes cause loops about 10 years ago.

But, it has nothing to do with "third party servers" and is not
a third-party-server issues.

Use correct terminology.

							Masataka Ohta

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jul 2003 01:26:47 -0000

Masataka Ohta writes:
> nothing to do with "third party servers"

Adding third-party servers has several minor effects, positive and
negative, on DNS load. Someone whined about one of these effects, while
ignoring the _much_ larger effect that gluelessness has on DNS load.

Small efficiency issues have to be viewed in the context of larger
efficiency issues. It's silly to claim that one has ``nothing to do
with'' the other.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago