Subject: SPF I-D for review: draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01.txt

From: wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 15:26:43 -0500

fyi;

There is a new I-D for the SPF email anti-forgery system available for
review.  This draft tries to document the current practices of the
~1,000,000[1] published SPF records and ~10,000[1] deployed SPF
systems that are checking 20-100million emails per day.

See: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01.txt

Discussions about this, and previous, drafts have been taking place on
the [email-masked] mailing list.  To subscribe or read
the archives, see http://spf.pobox.com/mailinglist.html

While I have been reading this mailing list for many months and will
note any comments posted here, sending email to the spf-discuss list
or to me personally is probably better than flooding this list.

I realize that the whole subject of SPF (and similar systems) has a
certain amount of controversy to it, but for the purposes of this
draft, I am very reluctant to try debate these issues.  The goal is to
document a de-facto standard.  Debates about better techniques, why
SPF is evil, etc. are probably best discussed on things like the IRTF
ASRG list, SPAM-L, the NANAE newsgroup, or on spf-discuss on a
separate thread/subject.

While SPF mostly deals with the [2]821 SMTP level, it also relies
heavily on DNS to communicate between the domain owner, and the email
receiver.  This I-D also makes provisions to create a new RR that is
just a clone of the TXT RR type.  We had a lively discussion here a
few months ago when the -00 draft was reviewed.  I hope people will
read the I-D over and again give me feedback.

My intention is that after a two week review, I will make a "final"
revised draft and ask the IESG to consider it for a Proposed Standard
status. 

-wayne

[1] These numbers are estimates as of earlier this year.  They were
pretty solid back then, and have probably grown since.  I have data
to back them up and they are almost certainly underestimating the real
numbers.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 17:00:48 -0700

> revised draft and ask the IESG to consider it for a Proposed Standard

There is a request on the spf-discuss list that those who consider SPF
flawed place their comments at:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/index.html

-Doug