Subject: Trust point removal issue?

From: Mike StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:46:56 -0500

I'm soliciting input from the list for the following:

One of the possibilities in the "timers" trust anchor ID is that all 
trust anchors at a trust point can be deleted (e.g. by setting the 
revoke bit on all of the DNSKEY records).  One of the chairs asked me 
to clarify whether or not that resulted in a branch of the tree that 
was "secure" but unverifiable (since there were no trust anchors/root 
keys).  The other option is that the deletion of all the trust 
anchors results in the deletion of the trust point with the branch 
becoming unsecure (not subject to DNSSEC verification).

My personal opinion is that deletion of all of the trust anchors 
should result in deletion of the trust point.  This comes from the 
robustness principle where I'd rather the accidental deletion of the 
root trust anchors not result in a total inability (by secure 
resolvers) to resolve any DNS name.

Any discussion either way?

Mike

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>