Subject: Re: OASIS and new RR types

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 15:37:26 -0700

On Aug 8, 2006, at 10:30 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:

>
> 2. Requester queries for TXT records with label  
> "urn_0oasis_0something.example.com"
>
> This should not clash with other uses and you should only get back  
> the relevant TXT records.
>
> It may be a kludge, but IMHO a relatively moderate such.

The desire is to establish a policy assertion for a domain and all  
subdomain unless an existing policy record is within the subdomain.   
That means a bad actor may attempt to use a non-existent subdomain to  
avoid a policy being applied.  To avoid this situation, the wildcard  
scheme being suggested is reduces the number of transactions used to  
search for a policy assertion found at a specific prefix label.  The  
prefix makes searching less efficient.  This scheme was to improve  
upon an upward search terminated by a policy record or the TLD.   
Currently the policy record is placed at a specific prefix to isolate  
a generic TXT record.

-Doug

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 13:21:35 -0700

[ Moderators note: Post was moderated, either because it was posted by
   a non-subscriber, or because it was over 20K.  
   With the massive amount of spam, it is easy to miss and therefore 
   delete relevant posts by non-subscribers. 
   Please fix your subscription addresses. ]

I find this whole thing with getting RRs allocated a bit confusing.

Would creating a form on IANA's website make this less of an issue?   
Or would that make things worse?

Thanks,
-drc

On Aug 8, 2006, at 10:30 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:

> Page 32 of the following document:
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/security/saml/v2.0/saml-metadata-2.0-os.pdf
>
> shows that the DNS community has not yet fully succeed in  
> convincing the
> rest of the IT-world that it is easy and natural to register new RR  
> types.
>
> BTW, is not the listed method a bit cumbersome since you apparently
> must enumerate *all* NAPTR records of a certain domain?
>
> It *still* seems that "typed labels" and TXT records would be  
> potentially
> faster and not impose limitations on other uses of TXT records or DNS
> itself.  In a nutshell:
>
> 1. Requester wants meta-data belonging to a name-space like  
> "urn:oasis:something".
>
> 2. Provider insert such data as (using a sample rewrite scheme):
> $ORIGIN example.com
> urn_0oasis_0something  TXT  "the stuff"
>
> Anders