Subject: [dnsext] Protocol Action: 'Domain Name System (DNS) IANA Considerations' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 08:18:37 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Domain Name System (DNS) IANA Considerations '
   <draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis-07.txt> as a BCP

This document is the product of the DNS Extensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Mark Townsley and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis-07.txt

- Technical Summary

The document updates rules for how certain DNS parameter values
are allocated. In most cases this is a relaxation of the existing
rules. The document is giving guidance to IANA on policies for
allocation. The DNS community wants to simplify the rules for
allocation of new RR types, and this document combined with the
rules in RFC3597 makes this possible. For RR types that fit within
the rules a simple template and review by WG and a designated
expert is the new process. Most other changes from RFC2929 are
insignificant.

- Working Group Summary

There is a broad consensus that this document is an improvement
over its predecessor.

- Protocol Quality

This is document about IETF/IANA process so there are no
implementations. The working group and sponsoring AD are running an
experiment of the new RR type process concurrently with the
publication request. see:
http://psg.com/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2006/msg01601.html
http://psg.com/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2006/msg01603.html
http://psg.com/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2007/msg00068.html
http://psg.com/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2007/msg00070.html

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>