Subject: [dnsext] EDNS0 OWNER Option

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 17:18:35 -0700

Last year I sent the email below outlining the proposed EDNS0 OWNER  
Option:

> From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
> Date: 16 November 2008 9:29:42 PM PST
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: EDNS0 Option Code
>
> I'm planning to request a new EDNS0 Option Code from IANA, and I  
> thought it would make sense to run the idea by this group first.  
> I'll be in the dnsext meeting on Tuesday to answer any questions in  
> person.
>
> The new option code is for something I'm calling a sleep proxy.
>
> The idea of "Wake On LAN Magic Packet" has been around for more  
> than ten years, but so far it's had limited use.
>
> The idea of my sleep proxy is that when a host (that supports DNS- 
> SD/mDNS) goes to sleep, it uses DNS Update to transfer its DNS-SD  
> records to a sleep proxy on the same link (which it discovers using  
> DNS-SD/mDNS). At the end of the DNS Update packet it adds an EDNS0  
> OPT record in the additional section, containing an EDNS0 "owner"  
> sub-option.
>
> ...

Today I submitted an Internet-Draft describing the option in more  
detail:

<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cheshire-edns0-owner- 
option-00.txt>

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
* Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Inc.
* Internet Architecture Board
* www.stuartcheshire.org

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>