Subject: Re: [dnsext] RR type IANA requirements discussion

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 00:31:07 +0200 (MESZ)

Regarding the renewed discussion on IANA requirements for RRtype
registrations:

Please keep in mind what draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc6195bis-00 now says ...

a) in Section 3.1.1 (DNS RRTYPE Allocation Policy):

   IANA shall maintain a public archive of approved templates. In
   addition, if the required description of the RRTYPE applied for is
   referenced by URL, a copy of the document so referenced should be
   included in the archive.

b) in the IANA Considearions (Section 5):

          [...]. IANA archives and makes available all approved RRTYPE
   allocation templates and referred documentation (unless it is readily
   available at a stable URI). [...]

Isn't that clear enough now and doesn't that satisfy the strong
desire of the community to have the registry unambiguously document
what actually has been allocated for a new RR type ?

Donald told me recently that he thought the 2-week expert review
period would suffice because the Expert will check on consistency
and completeness of the template and the referred-to documentation
and simply will quickly reject the registration request if it doesn't.
If changes are needed (e.g. a different mnemonic will be going to be
assigned for clarity -- as it has happened), the expert will reject
and the applicant will modify the template and documentation and
re-submit.  A template cannot be approved unless it matches what is
going to be registered; that needs to be ensured by the Experts and
IANA in the future, isn't it?  (I.e., it MUST NOT happen again that
the registry entry does not match the template/documentation linked
to the registry entry.)
Now that the WG prefers a longer period, that doesn't change the
procedure -- or did I miss something?

Kind regards,
  Alfred.

_______________________________________________
dnsext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsext