Subject: (NAT) Digital Certificates and NAT

From: "Torbjorn Friberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:00:30 +0100

Hi, 

When trying to access a protected resource over the Internet I use a digital certificate to authenticate my selft (over SSL). But when on a network using NAT then it is not possible. 

Why? and what is the solution to this?

Torbjorn Friberg

---

From: Pyda Srisuresh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 14:30:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi Torbjorn,

Were you using SSL to authenticate yourself (the client) or the server?
I have used https in the past from behind a NAT and it works fine. But, 
that may have been likely just the server authentication. I dont think,
it would have failed even for client authentication.

SSL authentication can fail for several reasons. I dont think, NAT is
the reason. For example, some SSL servers may have disabled weaker ciphers 
(say 40-bit cyphers) to prevent SSL connections with weaker encryption. 
Due to U.S. government restrictions, this effectively restricts access 
to network browsers shipped by the US companies to firms outside the US
(unless, they were shipped with case-by-case approval from the govts.).

Have you tried this without NAT?

cheers,
suresh 
 
--- Torbjorn Friberg <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi, 
> 
> When trying to access a protected resource over the Internet I use a digital
> certificate to authenticate my selft (over SSL). But when on a network using
> NAT then it is not possible. 
> 

=====

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. 
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe nat' in the body of the message.
List archive: <URL:http://www.portmasters.com/archives/>