Subject: (NAT) New ISDN/Analog Modem Always-ON technology RAS implementations on PortMaster4

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 11:24:25 EDT

NEW SIMULATED ALWAYS-ON DIAL-UP TECHNOLOGY  ANNOUNCEMENTS

I attached below the Patent Descriptions of 

"Abbreviated Modem Negotiation Routines / METHODS FOR FAST DIAL-ON-DEMAND 
INTERNET ACCESS  WITH  MODEMS , VIA PUBLIC SWITCHED TELEPHONE NETWORKS, 
BYPASSING PRESENT LENGTHY MODEM NEGOTIATIONS ENABLING APPARENT USER'S FULL 
SESSION-CONTINUITIES"

In particular relevance to PM4 the patent could be readily implemented via 
RAS dial-up scripting, or console initialisations, from the Patent 
Descriptions in page 8 :

NOTES

1. Modem units referred to may be virtual/software modems, eg Lucent [RTM] 
Technology PM4 's Modem DSP with PRI lines : the connecting of incoming DSO 
from PRI to specific Modem DSP could also be effected by assigning incoming 
DSO to the the same TDM bus time slot of the Modem DSP

AND page 4 

The method at its most basic essence requires that the reconnecting incoming 
calls be routed to the same Port #/Modem unit/Data channel (eg to the same 
DS0 of the ISP's PRI). As a very                                              
                            
basic workable example (only one of several!) of PBX Module implementation 
for ISPs  with Lucent [RTM] Technology PortMaster4 and PRI lines (note that 
there is no modem banks deployed here), all that is required is for the ISP's 
Telecommunication Service Provider to customise the Exchange Switching 
Software to suppress the disconnection event and reserve the same DSO of the 
PRI for Dial-in subscriber to reconnect (identified by Caller-ID) within the 
said 15 minutes after disconnection. Where subscriber does not reconnect 
within the said 15 minutes, the Exchange Switching terminates and releases 
the DSO in the usual manner. The DSO link is treated by ISP as 'live' (thus 
enabling Dial-in subscriber to reconnect the PSTN line and be immediately 
Online again to continue the same Session from where was left off retaining 
the same Session IP address) for 15 minutes after Dial-in subscriber's 
disconnection, although no datacommunication is possible until Dial-in 
subscriber reconnects the PSTN line (routed by Exchange Switching Software to 
the same DSO) within the said 15 minutes.      

WERE ANYONE INDIVIDUAL INTERESTED IN IMPLEMENTING SIMPLE PROTOTYPE DEMO / 
ORGANISATIONS INTERESTED IN COMMERCIAL COLLABORATIONS , PLEASE Email Private 
[email-masked]

A 1st COMMERCIALLY READY SOFTWARE CD TITLE " ALWAYS ON TIME" (FOR ISDN/ 
MOBILE/ DIGITAL USB / WIRELESS MODEMS) IS CURRENTLY BEING RELEASED TO GENRAL 
PUBLIC VIA PC RETAIL STORES. see  http://www.stagway.com

IT IS HOPED THIS ALWAYS-ON DIAL-UP TECHNOLOGY READY IMPLEMENTATIONS ON PM4 
WILL BRING PORTMASTERS GREAT NEW LEASE OF PROSPERITY! (& FOR DIAL-UPS ANALOG 
MODEMs/ ISDNs..)

Kind Regards,
Bob
IWXChange, Inc
http://www.freesurfs.co.uk

PATENT DESCRIPTIONS

METHODS FOR FAST DIAL-ON-DEMAND INTERNET ACCESS  WITH  MODEMS , VIA PUBLIC 
SWITCHED TELEPHONE NETWORKS, BYPASSING PRESENT LENGTHY MODEM NEGOTIATIONS 
ENABLING APPARENT USER'S FULL SESSION-CONTINUITIES

Fast Dial-on-Demand establishes the physical line connections only upon 
request from user's application programs (such as web browser) and 
disconnects when not in use for data transmissions, eliminating requirement 
for the PSTN connection to be maintained throughout the user session thus 
achieving substantial cost savings.

The methods presented here bypass present lengthy modem renogotiations 
(typically 20-30 seconds) to effect fast establishment/ re-establishment of 
ISO Application -Oriented Layer communication link between user Application 
Programs/Browsers and Internet Sevice Provider, and enables complete session 
continuity without user being aware of noticable difference due to frequent 
connections/disconnections of PSTN line.

                                                                        2

METHOD 1
=========

Internet Service Provider implements a PBX module which monitors incoming 
calls extracting DTMF Caller-ID (ie caller's phone number) and checks against 
existing maintained table of modem unit # (or Port #, Data channel)/ 
Caller-ID to switch the incoming call to the corresponding modem unit (or 
Port #/Data channel) )if found on the table. If not already on the table, it 
will be treated as a first time dial-up connection, whereupon the usual modem 
negotiations, authentications and Dynamic IP address assignment will take 
place and therafter a new modem unit #(or Port #, data channel)/ Caller-ID 
entry for this session connection will be created on the Table.

The ISP could set the Idle Period before terminating session to say 15 
minutes; if there has been no transmission line activities during this period 
the user's Dial-on-Demand session will be terminated, the modem unit and 
Dynamically assigned IP address returned to resource pool, and the 
corresponding modem unit # (or Port #,data channel) / caller-ID entry removed 
from Table. This prevents tying up of modem(or Port, datachannel), IP address 
resources by inactive Dial-on-demand sessions.

The ISP modem setting for elapsed time period before terminating line 
connection upon NO CARRIER DETECT (ie caused by user Dial-on-demand software 
package hanging up telephone line when there are no data transmissions) could 
be  set to the same 15 minutes above, to allow for subsequent instantaneous 
modem reconnections to new incoming calls by the same user session if within 
the 15 minutes period after user Dial-on-Demand software package last hanging 
up on the PSTN line connection.

The user Dial-on-demand software package could be set by user  to hang up on 
the PSTN line connection to ISP after a period of say 45 seconds 
transmissions inactivity to save on phone
                                                                            3

costs. Most browsers have webpage access connection time-out of around 30 
seconds, ie browsers will abort attempt to download webpage if access to the 
URL site clicked on was                                              
not established by then. Within the next 15 minutes after hanging up whenever 
the Dial-on-demand software package detects via user's Operating System (eg 
Telecommunication Application Programming Interface environment of Microsoft 
[RTM] Windows Operating systems) user program's request for Internet access, 
the software package redials the ISP number; whereupon the ISP module checks 
the incoming Caller-ID against Table of modem unit # (or Port#, Data channel) 
/ Caller-ID to route the incoming call to be connected to the corresponding 
modem unit (or Port #, data channel) it was previously connected to. The 
Dial-on-Demand Software Package insulates the user's Application 
Programs/Browsers from the PSTN line connection/disconnection events : the 
Application Programs/Browsers could assume the PSTN line is connected all the 
time. 

The user Dial-on-Demand software package could further saves on phone 
connection costs by immediately hanging up PSTN line when webpages/files 
download from Internet site is completed, or when browser is not expecting 
any further incoming response to outgoing transmissions sent. The status/ 
events are detected by software package from the informations contained in 
Operating System (eg Telephony Applications Programming Interface environment 
of Windows).  

The user Dial-on-demand software package could also monitors incoming call's 
DTMF Caller-ID from ISP during the next 15 minutes above after software 
package hanging up the PSTN line connection (which signifies that there's 
incoming data transmission while the PSTN line is hung up after inactivity 
period of 45 seconds above, were ISP server software incorporated Dialling to 
user to notify of incoming transmissions for the Session); upon such 
detection to redial to ISP, whereupon the ISP PBX module effects fast 
re-establishment of communication link.

                                                                            4

The method enables apparent user's full session-continuity , ie 
HTTP/FTP/TELNET/ONLINE GAMING/AUDIOVISUAL STREAMING continuities.             

The method at its most basic essence requires that the reconnecting incoming 
calls be routed to the same Port #/Modem unit/Data channel (eg to the same 
DS0 of the ISP's PRI). As a very                                              
                            
basic workable example (only one of several!) of PBX Module implementation 
for ISPs  with Lucent [RTM] Technology PortMaster4 and PRI lines (note that 
there is no modem banks deployed here), all that is required is for the ISP's 
Telecommunication Service Provider to customise the Exchange Switching 
Software to suppress the disconnection event and reserve the same DSO of the 
PRI for Dial-in subscriber to reconnect (identified by Caller-ID) within the 
said 15 minutes after disconnection. Where subscriber does not reconnect 
within the said 15 minutes, the Exchange Switching terminates and releases 
the DSO in the usual manner. The DSO link is treated by ISP as 'live' (thus 
enabling Dial-in subscriber to reconnect the PSTN line and be immediately 
Online again to continue the same Session from where was left off retaining 
the same Session IP address) for 15 minutes after Dial-in subscriber's 
disconnection, although no datacommunication is possible until Dial-in 
subscriber reconnects the PSTN line (routed by Exchange Switching Software to 
the same DSO) within the said 15 minutes.      

                                                                           5

METHOD 2
=========

By having a pre-arranged common modem settings, eg specific common connection 
rate (eg 56KBS), hardware flow control, parity, compression; and installing 
modified modem drivers to connect at above pre-arranged common settings at 
both ISP & user modems, lengthy modem negotiation is bypassed for every 
Dial-ins achieving fast establishment (eg 1 second-4 seconds) of  ISO 
Application-Oriented Layer communication link.

The ISP access authentication server system only needs to maintain/check a 
table of current Session dynamic IP address assigned / Caller-ID to ensure 
that the reconnecting user gets assigned the same IP address at every 
subsequent reconnections if reconnecting within a period of say 1 hour since 
last PSTN line disconnection ( else the corresponding IP address / Caller-ID 
entry is removed from Table and the IP is returned  to the resource pool ). 
If the Caller-ID is not on the Table on user dial-in, the server will 
dynamically assign a new IP address for the session, and create a 
correponding current Session dynamic IP address assigned/Caller-ID entry on 
the Table.   

On its own, or together with user Dial-on-demand software package described 
in Method 1, this Method enables  apparent user's full session-continuity, ie 
HTTP/FTP/TELNET/ONLINE GAMING/AUDIOVISUAL STREAMING continuities.

        
                                                                           6

METHOD 3
=========

The ISP maintains a  'State Information' of all users by their Caller-ID. The 
'State Information' contains  permanent details of user's modem connection 
settings (eg user specific connection speed/protocol, flow control method, 
parity, compression method)  and details of user's current Dynamically 
assigned IP address for the Session. The user modem driver is modified to 
connect at above user specific settings, & an appropriate ISP modem driver is 
selected corresponding to the incoming Caller-ID & assigned to the ISP modem 
unit, before the incoming line is picked up by the modem unit, hence doing 
away with lengthy modem negotiations.

Upon detection of DTMF Caller-ID for the Dial-in to a modem, the ISP server 
will select an appropriate modem driver & set the modem unit to the user 
specific modem setting details contained in the Caller-ID's  'State 
Information' before the modem unit picks up the incoming line thus bypassing 
lengthy modem negotiations, authenticates user and assigns user with the same 
IP address entry in the 'State Information' if present. If IP address is 
absent the ISP access authentication server will dynamically assign a new IP 
address to user for the Session, and record it in user's current Dynamically 
assigned Session IP address field of user's 'State Information'. After a 
pre-set Idle Period of say 1 hour the entry in Session IP address from the 
field in 'State Information' is removed  & the IP address is returned to 
resource pool ( to prevent excessive tying up of IP resource by inactive 
sessions ) , and any subsequent Dial-in will then be assigned a new new 
Session IP address.

                                                                           7

On its own, or together with user Dial-on-Demand software package described 
in Method 1, this method enables fast establishments (eg 1second-4 seconds) 
of  ISO Application-Oriented Layer communication link, together with apparent 
user's full session-continuity, ie HTTP/FTP/TELNET/ONLINE GAMING/AUDIOVISUAL 
STREAMING continuities.

                                                                           8  

NOTES

1. Modem units referred to may be virtual/software modems, eg Lucent [RTM] 
Technology PM4 's Modem DSP with PRI lines : the connecting of incoming DSO 
from PRI to specific Modem DSP could also be effected by assigning incoming 
DSO to the the same TDM bus time slot of the Modem DSP. 

2. The Dial-on-Demand software package is here described for predominantly 
Internet usage, but is also applicable for use in connection between any two 
user application programs on two computers connected by analog modems via 
PSTN line. 

3.   Method 1 described above may also be appled for users with digital 
Terminal Adapters
      instead of analog Modems.  

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe nat' in the body of the message.
List archive: <URL:http://www.portmasters.com/archives/>