Subject: Re: [nat66] New Version Notification - draft-mrw-nat66-13.txt

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 15:49:10 -0700

I believe that this addresses the outstanding issues raised by the IESG. I never did get Jari's promised text suggestion, so I'm hoping that what I put in addresses his concern.

On Apr 21, 2011, at 3:45 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> New version (-13) has been submitted for draft-mrw-nat66-13.txt.
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mrw-nat66-13.txt
> 
> 
> Diff from previous version:
> http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mrw-nat66-13
> 
> IETF Secretariat.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 16:33:07 -0700

The number 13 is bad luck. I made a stupid typo.

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=draft-mrw-nat66-12&url2=draft-mrw-nat66-14

On Apr 21, 2011, at 3:49 PM, Fred Baker wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> nat66 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nat66

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 23:34:39 +0300

I have looked at the text proposal from Fred. Its good, but I would make 
a little bit stronger plus make an editorial change as the insertion of 
the new paragraph has affected the next one as well.

OLD:
Note that, for reasons discussed in [RFC2993] and Section 5, the IETF
does not generally recommend the use of Network Address Translation
technology.

This has several ramifications:
NEW:
Note that, for reasons discussed in [RFC2993] and Section 5, the IETF
does not generally recommend the use of Network Address Translation
technology for IPv6. Where Network Address Translation is implemented,
however, this specification provides a mechanism that has less architectural
problems than merely implementing a traditional IPv4 NAT in an IPv6
environment. Some problems remain, however, and the reader should consult
Section 5, [RFC4864], and [RFC5902], for the implications and approaches
that help avoid all types of NATs.

The stateless approach described in this document has several ramifications:

Jari