Subject: [ncrg] Presentation at the upcoming NCRG meeting

From: Sanjay G Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 05:18:14 -0400 (EDT)

[Apologies if you get this twice, I had some problem posting to
this list the first time].

Folks,

Xin Sun and I will present and lead a discussion on our work:

"Modeling Complexity of Enterprise Routing Design": Xin Sun (Florida
  International University), Sanjay Rao (Purdue University) and Geoffrey
  Xie (Naval Postgraduate School).

This presentation is based on a paper that will appear in the ACM CoNext
conference in December this year. A pointer to the full paper is here:
   https://engineering.purdue.edu/~sanjay/conext12-complexity.pdf

Briefly, in this work we have looked at characterizing the complexity
of routing designs in an enterprise network. There are many feasible
design choices that operators face to meet the same goal (e.g., how
many distinct groups of routers/router instances are needed, how
to connect these groups.. e.g., redistribution/static routes/BGP etc.).
Our goal is to present a systematic framework by which multiple routing
designs could be analyzed with a view to identifying ones that are more/less 
complex. Our framework should allow for what-if explorations,
e.g., if we were change certain aspects of the design, what would be the
impact on complexity etc. We have also used our framework to study the Purdue
University network, and have many interesting findings that might be of 
interest
to practitioners.

In addition, we have a tool that we have released publically for analyzing
and visualizing the routing design of enterprise networks after parsing 
configuration files. That tool is here:
   https://engineering.purdue.edu/~isl/rvtool/

We would love to get all of your feedback on this. We are actively pushing
this work forward, and we think it could benefit tremendously with inputs
from practitioners. Hope to see all of you in Atlanta. If you can't make it, we 
would still love your feedback by email.

 			Thanks and Regards,
 			Sanjay

-----------------------
Sanjay G. Rao
Associate Professor
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Purdue University

Office: EE 322A
Web: http://www.ece.purdue.edu/~sanjay
EMail: [email-masked]
Phone: 765-494-3399