Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Nea] use of a design team to develop requirements]

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 00:36:22 -0500

Subject: Re: [Nea] use of a design team to develop requirements
From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
To: "Susan Thomson (sethomso)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Khaja Ahmed <[email-masked]>, Stephen Hanna <[email-masked]>, Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>, Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 00:34:32 -0500

-------- Original Message --------

> Hi Keith
> 
> The purpose of the "design team" is to put a proposal on the table for
> discussion. This would be a first draft and in no way can be considered
> to reflect WG consensus. 

Susan,

As I've already stated, I don't think this is an appropriate use of a 
design team.  First, requirements should not be drafted before a shared 
  understanding of the problem has been developed within the working 
group, otherwise the group members are not on the same page.   There's 
been almost no discussion of the problem on the mailing list, and what 
little discussion has taken place is sufficient to indicate that there's 
not a shared understanding of the problem yet.  Second, having a 
hand-picked design team draft an initial set of requirements unfairly 
biases the requirements towards the points-of-view of those individuals. 
  Requirements and design goals need to come from a broad survey, not 
from the opinions of a few handpicked people.

I also take issue with the goal of getting an initial requirements draft 
out by January, because that's nowhere nearly enough time to get a 
shared understanding of the problem, much less to develop requirements.

I also find it suspicious that the "participants in the NEA Requirements 
Team" mentioned in draft-khosravi-nea-requirements-01.txt, which was 
published in July 2006 (before this working group was chartered), 
include both co-chairs of this working group as well as three out of 
five members of the design that those co-chairs have handpicked.  It is 
hard to escape the impression that the design team was picked precisely 
to further the goals of a narrow set of people rather than to reflect 
the broader interests of the working group, or of the Internet community.

Keith

_______________________________________________
Nea mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea