Subject: [nemo] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-bernardos-nemo-miron-00.txt]

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:44:58 +0200

Hi all,

	We have submitted a draft describing a RO solution proposal (MIRON, it
was already introduced in the ML some time ago).

	Comments are appreciated (and highly welcomed ;->)

	Thanks a lot.

	Regards,

	Carlos J.

-- 
Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano     http://www.netcoms.net
GPG FP: BFF1 7C7A 6AA7 BCE3 885A  4DF1 ED0C 5952 BF89 B974

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bernardos-nemo-miron-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:50:01 -0400
List-Id: i-d-announce.ietf.org

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Mobile IPv6 Route Optimisation for Network Mobility (MIRON)
	Author(s)	: C. Bernardos, et al.
	Filename	: draft-bernardos-nemo-miron-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2005-7-13
	
   The Network Mobility Basic Support protocol enables networks to roam
   and attach to different access networks without disrupting the
   ongoing sessions that nodes of the network may have.  By extending
   the Mobile IPv6 support to Mobile Routers, nodes of the network are
   not required to support any kind of mobility, since packets must go
   through the Mobile Router-Home Agent (MRHA) bidirectional tunnel.  On
   the other hand, this introduces delivery latency - due to the
   increased length of the route - and packet overhead.

   This document describes an approach to the Route Optimisation for
   NEMO, called Mobile IPv6 Route Optimisation for NEMO (MIRON).  MIRON
   enables mobility-agnostic nodes of the mobile network to directly
   communicate (i.e., without traversing the MRHA bidirectional tunnel)
   with Correspondent Nodes.  The solution is based on the Mobile Router
   performing the Mobile IPv6 Route Optimisation signalling on behalf of
   the nodes of the mobile network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bernardos-nemo-miron-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-bernardos-nemo-miron-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bernardos-nemo-miron-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

---

From: Brian Haley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:24:21 -0400

> was already introduced in the ML some time ago).

Hi Carlos,

Maybe this was discussed before on the list, I can't remember, but what 
happens when you exceed the mtu of the outgoing interface in this case:

 From Section 3.2:

o  The MR processes every packet received from the LFN as follows:

       *  The MR's CoA is set as IPv6 source address.

       *  An IPv6 Home Address destination option, carrying the address
          of the LFN, is inserted.

You can't fragment the packet unless it's going into a tunnel (like to 
the HA).  Solutions might be sending the LFN an icmp "packet too big" 
(but it will increase it again over time), or reducing the advertised 
mtu on the link (but that penalizes everyone).

Unless I'm missing something?

-Brian

---

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:45:08 +0200

Hi Brian,

	Please, see comments below.

> mtu on the link (but that penalizes everyone).

	You are right. The MR can't fragment a packet, so one of the two
actions you described above should be performed. However, it should be
noted that with the NEMO Basic Support protocol, if it's preferred to
avoid the MR to fragment packets (and that would be the case, I guess),
the available MTU (advertised on the link) is even smaller than when
MIRON is used, since the MRHA tunnel adds 40 bytes and an IPv6 Home
Address destination option adds 24 bytes. Therefore, when MIRON is used
the Path MTU is reduced less than when using the NEMO Basic Support.

	Thanks for reading the draft and providing comments

	Regards,

	Carlos J.