Subject: [nemo] Prefix Delegation and Duplicated Network Detection

From: Masayuki Kumazawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:58:52 +0900

Dear TJ, Pascal, Ralph, and all,

I'm now proposing Duplicate Network Detection (DND).
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kumazawa-nemo-tbdnd-02.txt

DND trys to address the issue listed in the multihoming draft
(Section 4.10).
The issue is 'Prefix Ownership'.
As the name indicates, the issue is related to the Prefix Delegation (PD).

Our motivation for proposing DNS is very similar to that of PD.

So, I hope we will also discuss DND as one of the issues related
to PD.

I'd like to describe the followings.

1) The motivation of DND.
2) The benefits enabled by including DND in the PD.

As for 1),
DND's purpose is to re-delegate MNPs from one MR to another MR.

In the case MRs are portable such as Wireless PAN devices, 
synchronization of MNP among MRs within a Mobile Network should be
done dynamically.

Otherwise, the users who are owners of the MRs need to configure them
without mistakes.
If the users make a mistake, for instance, MRs on different links are
configured with the same prefixes, some packets won't reach correct
recipients.

As for 2):
Multiple MRs configured with the same prefix in a Mobile Network
will provide benefits like load balance or redundancy even if we
don't assume a wireless PAN.

If we include DND in PD, MRs can share the same prefix when they
are in the same mobile network dynamically without requiring
configuration by the adminstrators. 

Otherwise, administrators will need to confirm whether MRs configured
with the same prefix are in the same network before operation.

As explained above, I think DND is related to PD. 

Please let me know your thoughts on discussing DND as an issue under 
PD.

Best regards,
Masayuki
-----------
M.Kumazawa